Tendo City
The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The "Snow in Colorado" thread. (/showthread.php?tid=436)

Pages: 1 2

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Fittisize - 19th March 2003

Oh yeah Eden, Italian Pyro from Quebec wouldn't understand anything about winter. Rolleyes I sure wanna ski some more. I don't want this snow to melt anytime soon, but if it goes until May then I'll have a problem. And by the looks of it, it's gonna be gone in about two weeks. :(

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - OB1 - 19th March 2003

Fuck, everything is going to be closed tomorrow as well.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Dark Jaguar - 19th March 2003

On the bright side, time is effectivly standing still for you, which means you can have all sorts of crazy fun and feel NO guilt about it. Go on, have great fun, and know that the area around you actually is just going to sit still while you do it!

I absolutly LOVE snow! I mean, it's a crazy thing. 90 degrees one day, huge flurries of snow overnight into the next night, and then massive plows and stuff ruining the look, but whatever you enjoy it for a while, before it melts in some more searing heat, then it rains in moderate tempratures, then a week later it snows again if it feels like it. Great fun!

(Oh uh, yeah it is a tragedy when people die. Sorry if I seemed insensitive there, but that's no reason to expect me to hate snow for it, or any wonderous precipitation, I even love hail.)

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Dark Lord Neo - 19th March 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
Oh yeah Eden, Italian Pyro from Quebec wouldn't understand anything about winter. Rolleyes I sure wanna ski some more. I don't want this snow to melt anytime soon, but if it goes until May then I'll have a problem. And by the looks of it, it's gonna be gone in about two weeks. :(

hah you haven't seen winter until you see winter in Montreal

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - A Black Falcon - 20th March 2003

I love winter! I far prefer cold temperatures than warm ones... I can't stand it when its hot out (85, 90, whatever... its awful! Especially in this state where NO ONE has air conditioning... fans just don't help when its hot inside (or outside of course)... thats so unpleasant...), but cold? I don't mind... and snow is pretty. Winter is probably my favorite season... there are no bugs (mosquitoes, blackflies, etc), its not hot, and because of the snow you don't have to go outside and "excersise" as much... all good things.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - OB1 - 20th March 2003

Trust me, you would not like this kind of winter. We've been stuck at home for the past two days.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Dark Jaguar - 20th March 2003

How can you NOT have air conditioning? It's built into houses when they are constructed now, at least since the mid-80's! I mean, any place without centralized air is like a PC without a sound card. I mean sheesh, what era do you live in? Most old houses have even got that installed. In fact, in my whole time here in OK, I've seen ONE house without air conditioning, but that didn't last long, and I saw one primitive looking thing, the window mounted air conditioning unit. I was shocked watching Seinfeld when I saw that his apartment complex didn't have central air. That's one thing I can say I've NEVER seen, an apartment complex or large corporate building that lacks air conditioning. How do you SURVIVE the summer?

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - OB1 - 20th March 2003

We didn't have any air conditioning in Croatia, yet we survived the hot and humid summers. Spoiled little punk.

DJ, DJ, DJ... this is New England. Honestly, there are probably 10 to 15 days where it is hot enough to really need air conditioning... no more than that.

I have lived in Maine pretty much all my life (except that year in Slovenia). I think I was in a house once or twice with air conditioning... and that was just in one room of it...

You are in the SOUTH. There, it is HOT in summer for months. Very hot. And air conditioning is a standard part of a house.

This is the NORTH. Air conditioning is a extra that no one really needs... only stores (and motels/hotels) have it, and that's just bigger stores.

I mean, who really needs to spend the large amount of money aircon would cost when you only REALLY need it for under 2 weeks a year?

Sure... I wish we had it... it does get hot, and having fans on doesn't always do the job. But would spending a lot of money for aircon be even remotely worth it? No way... not when its used as little as it would be...

Now centeral heat, that's obviously a different story...

Central heat's also in every house I've seen here. I guess that kinda makes sense, but sheesh, no air conditioning just SOUNDS so evil, even in Alaska it would sound evil somehow... I guess I'm not used to the concept of places where you actually know what the weather will be like. Months at a time? Well, on the whole it's hot, but it shifts around quite a bit at totally random intervals.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, a number of people here have the air conditioning on in the dead of winter, on cold days, because they REALLY like the cold. It takes a SUPER cold day to actually require the heat to be turned on, and it's pretty quickly turned to cold.

Here's my question, what do your thermostats look like? I mean, doesn't it look incomplete with just "heat-off-nothing" instead of "cold" in the third switch place?

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Weltall - 20th March 2003

Quote:DJ, DJ, DJ... this is New England. Honestly, there are probably 10 to 15 days where it is hot enough to really need air conditioning... no more than that.

I gotta agree with that. I've been to Maine only once in my life, on my 14th birthday, 1996. My birthday is July 23, and here in Virginia that day it was most likely in the high 90's with 100% humidity, but that one day I spent on the Maine shore I spent in 49 degree rainy misery.

49 degree raining misery isn't exactly that uncommon in July, (well, here, okay it is kinda rare but it happens) though if that was the high or actually "usual" (How on Earth does weather stay the same for long periods in other places? It's all outdoors and out of control!), I see your point. Oh, I'm a centigrade person, being all metricy, so I'm not exactly sure of the "size" of fereignheight degrees.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Laser Link - 20th March 2003

Since I said the last word "You" and I'm going to say the next word, do I get a prize?

Prize

I don't remember ever living in a house with AC. Maybe when we lived in San Diego, but I was only 6 when we left California. I've lived in Colorado, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado again and 10 different houses in those places, and none of them had AC. All of them were < 5 years old when we moved there. It's just a southern thing. :)

And let it be known that almost all of the snow in Colorado Springs has melted. The only snow left is the piles from shoveling, and it was at least 60* today. GIVE ME BACK MY SNOW!!!

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Fittisize - 20th March 2003

I have an air conditioner...many houses up here that are fairly north have air conditioners.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - WhiteFleck - 20th March 2003

Universe.

I never thought of it as a "luxery". I mean, even the poorest houses I've seen, paint all peeling off and windows "repaired" with trashbags, have air conditioning. I guess we are just lucky or something... Hey lemme ask you this. Do you have "electricity"? It's all the rage here!

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Laser Link - 20th March 2003

It's not as common in other places because it simply doesn't get hot enough for long enough to justify the money, like ABF said. And there is no such thing as humidity anywhere I've ever lived, so that helps alot as well.

I doubt that the number of days in the high '90s is a double digit number... and if it is, its a low one...

Also. In the south, central aircon is not a luxury. Without it the heat could be unbearable.

But in the northern and most of the central parts of the country? Its a totally different story... it IS a luxury here. Only rich people, or people who are REALLY sensitive to heat, would even consider getting aircon... as I said, no one I know has any more air conditioning than a small window box air conditioner, and those are rare... usually fans can do well enough.

Also, heat. The heat is on essentially every day from November to April... and sometimes Sepetmber to May... I'm sure we haven't had a day with the heat off since last fall...

When there is a big storm in winter and power goes out, if you don't have a woodstove (we have one, but a lot of people don't...) or a furnace that doesn't run only when the electricity is on, you can't live in your house... I remember during the huge icestorm of 1998 a lot of people had to move out for a week or two (or more in places) until power was restored.... its just WAY too cold otherwise.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Dark Jaguar - 21st March 2003

Hahaha, okay okay, I get it :D. In fact, I got it the first time you said it, but I enjoy humor.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - A Black Falcon - 21st March 2003

Humor? I don't see any, other than you acting denser than I hope you really are... :)

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - Dark Jaguar - 21st March 2003

Well I was just pointing out how it's seen here is all, never meant to actually imply it should always be so everywhere.

The "Snow in Colorado" thread. - A Black Falcon - 21st March 2003

Well the way you actually sounded really surprised that in very large areas of the country almost noone has aircon was surprising...