Tendo City
Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week (/showthread.php?tid=974)

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Great Rumbler - 21st August 2003

Quote:1. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 -- 128,100 / 770,500
2. PS2 Monster Rancher 4 -- 100,800 / 100,800
3. GCN Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles -- 82,000 / 276,100
4. GBA Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire -- 54,400 / 132,200
5. GBA Super Mario Advance 4 -- 50,200 / 298,200
6. PS2 Super Robot Great War -- 40,500 / 154,100
7. GCN Kirby's Air Ride -- 38,200 / 246,400
8. PS2 Salmon Knight 3 -- 32,100 / 188,400
9. PS2 Live Power Pro Baseball 10 -- 28,500 / 421,200
10. PS2 The Masters -- 23,100 / 58,900

1. Game Boy Advance SP -- 64,400 / 1,500,400
1. Playstation -- 59,000 / 1,884,600
3. GameCube -- 26,900 / 435,400
5. Game Boy Advance -- 21,800 / 1,007,400
5. Playstation -- 1,200 / 52,500
6. Xbox -- 880 / 71,400

That's a pretty big drop, but I still think it can sell 500k units.

N-Philes

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - OB1 - 21st August 2003

*sigh*

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Nintendarse - 23rd August 2003

I hope Nintendo isn't having stocking issues. A sales total of 276,100 means it has sold out of the first shipment (250,000) and is just getting into the second shipment.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Great Rumbler - 23rd August 2003

That could be why the sales are so low this week, but...

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Dark Jaguar - 23rd August 2003

It seems like I predicted. The sales are strong at first but suddenly plummet. I do believe the reason for this is easy enough to figure out. The dedicated fan base that wants this game pre-orders it from the start. They all get their copies and produce misleading sales numbers. Weeks later, the sales plummet to a level that shows how many people who aren't dedicated fans are buying it.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - OB1 - 23rd August 2003

Right, that's what I said before.

I said it first.

I said it in the other FF thread a couple of weeks ago, and many times before that. :shakeit:

No way! I said it in the other FF thread a couple weeks ago and many times before that!

I said it ten years before you were even born!

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Great Rumbler - 23rd August 2003

*flash of inspiration* THAT'S IT!! A comic is born!!

Woo!

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2003

Big games always start very big then drop off a lot... just like big movies...

Considering the size of the market there, yes, I would expect exactly this. What will be interesting is how slowly it drops off from here -- will it slow down the speed of the drop or will it continue and end up with dissapointing sales considering how well it should sell?

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - OB1 - 24th August 2003

Correction: Big Gamecube games sell relatively well the first week and then drop considerably. Most big PS2 and X-Box games (in the U.S.) sell well for a long period of time.

We are talking about Gamecube games in Japan here, not PS2 and X-Box titles in the US, so you don't have a point.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Great Rumbler - 24th August 2003

I think KOTOR has only sold about 300-400 thousand in the first month of its release.

I'm also talking about Gamecube games in the U.S. Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, and every other big Gamecube game sold well in the first couple of weeks and then dropped in sales considerably. Like DJ said, it's because only die-hard Nintendo fans buy their games, and they all get them within days of their release.

But in Japan it seems more common to have huge first-week sales then a huge dropoff... a pattern FF:CC follows here...

It's pretty much the same over here. Just look at the sales of Metroid Prime.

Because, as you say, most people who get Nintendo's big games have a Cube and buy it ASAP... which is good for first-week sales, but not for long-term success on the top ten lists.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - OB1 - 25th August 2003

Right... we already said that.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2005

I got FF:CC a few days ago (and a GC-GBA cable, for the map and stuff... I only have one GBA.).. $20 used plus a cable for $10 made it affordable. Now of course I need Zelda: FSA and Pac-Man Vs., but not right now, I'm having fun with this one... it's quite simple it seems (and some of the depth seems unnecessary, like the foods you like thing -- why bother? A Cure stone works much better, and isn't consumable...), but it works, so that's okay.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - Dark Jaguar - 24th August 2005

Like a lot of games of this type, it's really for the best if you play it with more than one person.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2005

Played it once that way, last year... I don't know. I'd say it's best to play it singleplayer first, then multiplayer if you want to, since in multiplayer people get impatient and don't want to read spend time going around town to visit the stores, exploring, reading the story sections, etc... that kind of thing definitely works better in 1p and since this game has it (unlike a Gauntlet or Zelda: FSA which deals with the issue with pretty much removing it all), I want to see it...

And anyway, multiplayer requires multiple GBAs, all with link cables, which is impossible at home. Maybe at college, but again, not before I play it through first so I can actually take my time and follow the story...

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - big guy - 28th August 2005

i loved this game 1 player when i played it that way. and multiplayer put an interesting spin on the formula. 1 player was a ton of fun for me but multiplayer made the game a lot more challenging and offered it's own set of fun things to do. i dunno. FF: CC is one of the better games i've played this generation. and i thought that it was a million times better than FFX and FFX2. whatever. i don't really care what anybody else felt about it because i absolutely loved it more than anything i can remember on GC except for Beyond Good & Evil.

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - A Black Falcon - 28th August 2005

FF:CC definitely is a pretty good game... I wouldn't callit the best game of the generationor anything, but it's definitely a good one, and somewhat underrated because of the connectivity...(which is a fine ideaand works just fine... if you have the money to be able to afford the full setup. Which most don't, really... that one aspect, money, doomed connectivity from the start, I believe. Well that and the factthat it waspresented as a replacement for online,which it obviously isn't even remotely close to being...) but yes, a good game. I do think it'd make more sense not under the "FF" name, though... I mean,how much of a Final Fantasy game is it? Yeah, about as much of one as FFA or FFL were on the GB...

Sales of FF: CC drop after the first week - big guy - 30th August 2005

well. i don't know that it's necessarily one of the best games of the generation. but there haven't been a whole lot of games i've played this gen and even fewer that i've liked. FF:CC was one of those.