Tendo City
Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Possible Zelda announcement next month? (/showthread.php?tid=968)

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - OB1 - 19th August 2003

From IGN:

Quote:
August 19, 2003 - A recent rumor column in Japan's Dengeki GC gaming publication suggests that something big is in store for the Game Boy Advance. According to the publication, the system will see a super big (dare we say it -- Mega big) title released to Japan at the end of the year. This title is assured sales of a million, and could even reach sales of two million copies.
There aren't too many GBA games we can think of that could possibly achieve such numbers (and they all begin with Pokemon). The magazine promises clarification in its next issue, so stay tuned for next month!

The only thing that makes sense to me is an all-new Zelda game. Peer and Craig from IGN have mentioned in several mailbags that Capcom and Nintendo are working on an all-new, single-player GBA Zelda, and I was very saddened when it wasn't shown at E3. Pokemon came out just a little while ago so that can't be it, a new Metroid title was already announced at E3, Mario 3 is coming out in October so they wouldn't want to bring out an all-new Mario game to steal M3's thunder, so... that leaves Zelda.

*squints and crosses fingers*

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Great Rumbler - 19th August 2003

Zelda is really the only thing I can think of.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Nintendarse - 19th August 2003

...either Zelda or Final Fantasy. *hopes*

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - OB1 - 19th August 2003

Or maybe it'll be the first game to use their long-rumored new FX chip? Perhaps Smash Bros. or something like that?

But I'm betting, and hoping, on Zelda.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - A Black Falcon - 20th August 2003

Yeah... its probably either Zelda, Pokemon, or Final Fantasy. If its real at all... its not like these rumors always pan out. :)

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - lazyfatbum - 20th August 2003

Chrono Trigger 3: Spekkio Falls in Love

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals Advanced

Starfox "2" (the unreleased SNES game)

Zelda: The blah blah of blah (A remake of the original Zelda with new graphics)

Zelda: The yak yakkity of Yak (A new Zelda with new gameplay)

The super secret VR technology developed by ILM and Panasonic

The last statement was bullshit

Pokemon E-reader cards

A game that requires you to buy it 2 million times

Something that will disappoint people and cause them to complain

Fire Emblem

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - OB1 - 20th August 2003

Two Fire Emblem games have already come out in Japan, and we'll probably get Star Fox 2 as a pre-order special for Namco's SF Armada.

I hope that it's Zelda, but I would be happy with a Square compilation of sorts. Maybe Seiken Densetsu 2-4? :D

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Nintendarse - 20th August 2003

...or Dragon Quest.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Great Rumbler - 20th August 2003

A real Dragon Quest game, as opposed to the Pokemon-style Dragon Quest Monsters series, would probably be a very big seller.

A Final Fantasy game in the main series, please be FFVII-2!!!!!!!, would also sell a lot.

I have a feeling that Sony is going to get FFVII-2 for the PSP.

IF they even decide to make another one, and given the ending of FF7 I'm skeptical.

I don't think they care about the ending too much. FFVII is the most popular of the series and they know that they'd make a crapload of money with a sequel.

And in so doing, ruin the story.

Hey, I'd like a sequel too, but they should make a sequel to game that has a storyline with room for a sequel.

Like Zelda 2! I want them to show what happened after the curtains fell at the end of Zelda 2!

[Image: 06.png] [Image: 07.png]

You know that some crazy stuff happened after those curtains fell! Nintendo could make a sequel to the most recent Zelda (chronologically-speaking) and make a mature Zelda game (with all the sex you could ever ask for) in one move! It's a win-win situation!

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Dark Jaguar - 20th August 2003

... You already told that cheesy joke... TWICE!

Chrono Break will ROCK!

And it's better than ever now!!!!

Seriously, how cool would it be if Capcom's new Zelda game were to take place after Link's Adventure? That would be so... neateriffic.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Dark Jaguar - 20th August 2003

Yeah it would be cool. I'd like to see what continues happening with the Hyrule of Zelda 2. After all, since Hyrule split after Zelda 1 (according to the Zelda 2 booklet) into the two territories of North Hyrule and South Hyrule, it would be interesting to see if some sort of unification needs to be done or other such things. Also, now there are TWO people named Zelda at once. There's the sleeper, and the Zelda Link rescued in Zelda 1.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Laser Link - 24th August 2003

I don't think Zelda would sell that much anymore. But FF would, or Dragon Quest. I think a lot of people would be happy to see those series get back to their old 2D roots too.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - OB1 - 24th August 2003

Zelda sold a lot better than FF CC did in Japan. Zelda sold very well for a Gamecube game, and I'm sure that a new GBA Zelda would sell like hotcakes... back when hotcakes sold really well...

*cough*

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Nintendarse - 24th August 2003

It's totally unfair to compare Zelda with FF:CC as a comparison of the series. First of all, FF:CC is an offshoot of the Final Fantasy line. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics or FF:CC do not sell as well as the main line, usually finding a successful plateau at 300,000 to 600,000 copies sold. Meanwhile, the main line (as long as it's not online-based) sells upwards of 2 million in the first few days of release.

In addition, FF:CC requires an odd (and expensive) setup of GBAs and wires, making the full potential of the game out of reach for all but the most social of Nintendo fans.

But most of all, you have to judge them relative to the expectations for them. Many people on the Gaming-Age Forums were predicting between 100,000 and 200,000 copies for FF:CC, especially after F-Zero's disappointing showing. Yet the title sold out of 76% of initial shipment in just four days, ensuring that it will become one of the best selling games on Gamecube in Japan this year. Meanwhile, Nintendo expected Zelda to turn its console around in Japan, and it did just the opposite: it sold mainly to previous GC purchasers. Not only that, but it was outsold by a tired, rehashed franchise in the form of Mario Party 4.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2003

Square should finally make a real Final Fantasy game for Game Boy... there still isn't one, and I'm sure it'd sell very, very well...

Oh yeah, and the GBA requirement will turn off a LOT of potential purchasers of FF:CC, I'm sure.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - OB1 - 24th August 2003

Nintendarse, Wind Waker sold much better in Japan during its first couple of weeks than CC did.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - OB1 - 29th August 2003

I sure hope this isn't the big "million-seller" game they were talking about...

From N-Philes:

Quote:Square-Enix announced a new Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior in North America) title for Game Boy Advance in Japan. This new adventure revolves around using those slime creatures that you fight in about every Dragon Warrior title ever made. They act as companions to each other, and I'm not sure what they can do or what the plot is but they say there is action. Unlike the interesting Dragon Warrior Monsters for GBC, this won't make it to the U.S. just like the previous one.

Posted by Ethan Pearson, Founder, Director

Here are from screens from Games Are Fun:

[Image: 01.gif]

[Image: magshot.jpg]

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Great Rumbler - 29th August 2003

Read the post right before that one.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - A Black Falcon - 29th August 2003

If thats it it'd be dissapointing.

Indeed. :(

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Dark Jaguar - 29th August 2003

Eh Crystal Chronicles isn't that expensive. You only need to buy ONE GBA yourself. What are ya doin' buying extra systems and controllers for your friends anyway?

You don't need any GBA's if you only plan on playing single-player.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - Great Rumbler - 29th August 2003

Right, but if you want to play the multiplayer you need some GBAs. I have three so that's no problem for me, but for a lot of people it will be.

Possible Zelda announcement next month? - A Black Falcon - 29th August 2003

I have one GBA, and no GC-GBA cables. I know one or two people with GBAs, but not many... only like one person has both a cube, gba, and cable, and I don't know that person too well. Of people I might feasibly play with... I'd need to buy TWO GC-GBA cables (not three because I very highly doubt I'd ever get three people with GBAs together...). For me to use a few times a year. Great... just great.

You need to get some GC-lovin' friends.