Tendo City
The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! (/showthread.php?tid=962)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 2nd September 2003

Quote:Yes, the video games one is much more obvious, as in that I'm right.

No, the movies its more obvious that the text isn't a movie than this games arguement is...

Quote:You admitted that the CYOA game wouldn't really be a game.

I said it would be if they made it into a true game (with input and stuff), but if it was just a digitized book, like a PDF document, it wouldn't be, probably...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Moiraine - 3rd September 2003

873 ~ Crowded Hallways...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - OB1 - 3rd September 2003

Quote:No, the movies its more obvious that the text isn't a movie than this games arguement is...

No, it's easier to classify the games since they actually exist, while no one has made a text-only movie yet.

Quote:I said it would be if they made it into a true game (with input and stuff), but if it was just a digitized book, like a PDF document, it wouldn't be, probably...

But you'd be playing it on a computer!

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - -_____- - 3rd September 2003

872- Sociology

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 3rd September 2003

Quote:No, it's easier to classify the games since they actually exist, while no one has made a text-only movie yet.

Good point, since no one has made a text-only movie its a bit hard to classify them. :)

Quote:But you'd be playing it on a computer!

So its a computerized book, just like a PDF manual!

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Darunia - 3rd September 2003

871 ~ The cost of college text books.

Quote:Good point, since no one has made a text-only movie its a bit hard to classify them.

Indeed.

Quote:So its a computerized book, just like a PDF manual!

No, think of it as more of a power point presentation. You control the outcome of the book and you play it on a computer, so that must mean that it's a video game, right??

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 3rd September 2003

Quote:No, think of it as more of a power point presentation. You control the outcome of the book and you play it on a computer, so that must mean that it's a video game, right??

Not if its not interactive!

No it would be interactive, since you would control the story.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Great Rumbler - 3rd September 2003

By ABF's definition the CYOA game WOULD be a videogame, since it's on a computer and you have some control over how it progresses.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

But you'd control the story by clicking on a list of page numbers on the side of the screen... that's a absolute minimum amount of interactivity, for sure. If its a game, its just barely one... but I'd still rather call it a E-Book. Its just not really interactive any more than a Powerpoint presentation... which is NOT a game.

It doesn't matter as long as there's some interactivity. If you call those text-based games video games then you also have to call CYOA "e-books" video games as well.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Great Rumbler - 3rd September 2003

You aren't making sense, ABF. First you say that the text adventure games absolutely have to be videogame, but when we bring up CYOA games you say that they aren't because there isn't enough interactivity. Don't you play them on a computer? Don't they have text which you say is enough? Don't you control, to an extent, the outcome? By your definition they would have to be videogames!!

But you've got to draw a line between a book and game somewhere. Powerpoint isn't games, and neither is a PDF manual... and there is a massive, massive difference between CYOA and text adventures that you intentionally are refusing to recognize!

But, you're...you know what? Forget it. I'm not going to sit here and try to argue your point of view to you when I don't even agree with it!

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 4th September 2003

First, are there even any CYOA e-books? If not, this part of the debate is kind of pointless...

Oh, and GR... its just a question of 'how much interactivity do you need to make it a game'. And I'm not really sure what the answer to that question is...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Private Hudson - 4th September 2003

The level of interactivity has to be drawn at the point where you are playing AGAINST something.

In an Adventure game, you have an objective. In a CYOA book, do you?

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 4th September 2003

What, haven't you read them before? Its a story where you use the options to try to figure out how to get the best endings (by the choices... branching tree story really...). If its a game its VERY simple...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - OB1 - 4th September 2003

It doesn't matter how simple it is as long as there is some interactivity.

If there was a CYOA game in text-only in Powerpoint, by your definition, ABF, it would have to be considered a video game!!

Uhh... no. Powerpoint is just a slideshow maker! Slideshows are not games. A CYOA text adventure, though, with a textbar letting you make the choices at each point (or the choices being links in the pages to those other pages instead of making you flip through like a book)... more likely, since its more like a game and less like a book. Books, you see, aren't games, whether they are E-Books or real ones, I'd say...

Nobody has made a Powerpoint game before, but by your definition of video games you could make one.

Sorry, but I highly doubt Powerpoint could make a game... though maybe I could be proven wrong, who knows.

You're right, it wouldn't really be a video game, but going by your definition of the word it would be!

No, it wouldn't! Only if you stretch my definition farther than I would, anyway.

I cannot believe that you're still denying this. Wow.

Let's see... by your definition a video game just needs to be some sort of interactive game that you play on a video screen, so I don't know how you can dismiss a CYOA powerpoint game. It completely adheres to your definition.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Private Hudson - 4th September 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
What, haven't you read them before? Its a story where you use the options to try to figure out how to get the best endings (by the choices... branching tree story really...). If its a game its VERY simple...

I already know what it is.

I'd say it's be a very rudementary game. A text adventure in it's absolute simplest form.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2003

Yeah, I guess... but adventure games generally have some kind of puzzles to progress, not just multiple-choice... oh well, I guess it would be a adventure game in its simplest form. Probably...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - OB1 - 5th September 2003

So you admit it then!

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2003

That it might be a game? Fine. It might be... barely a game, but I guess so. Why is that so terrible?

It shows how crazy you are.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Moiraine - 5th September 2003

870 ~ Little black, wanna be ghetto boys... Mad :cuss: Scream

But... if its a game its a game...

No, there are many types of games and not all of them are video games.

Video games, computer games... same thing...

:D

I think we should just drop this debate again. We're just going in circles...

Yes, you clearly lost this one.

Not really... no. It really depends on whch side you are on as to who you think won, I'd say. Sure, my arguement isn't the greatest, but I do think that when you put the various parts together there's enough there for me to be right...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Great Rumbler - 5th September 2003

This whole arguement really hangs on wether or not you can consider words on a screen to be text or images.

Quote:there's enough there for me to be right...

Screw you, duck face!

Right, if you think that text = image, then sure you could say that text-based games are video games. But "mental images" is not the kind of image the defition is referring to.

But the image isn't wholly mental!

YES. IT. IS!!!!

Not when its based on your reading of a text description of that image!

The image is still entirely in your mind!

You've lost this debate, ABF. The longer you go on the more foolish you will look.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Darunia - 5th September 2003

870 - 1 ~ The eternal manifestation of pure stubborness that we know as OB1.

869- Morons like Darunia who don't even pay attention to a thread but then like to make stupid comments regarding them.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - -_____- - 5th September 2003

868- Morons who change the subject of a thread.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Great Rumbler - 6th September 2003

868 - Morons who complain about morons who change the subject of the thread. Or something like that...

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2003

But... but... there is a big difference between thinking up a picture in your head and forming an image of something based on what you read! Why can't you acknowledge that?

867 - people who comment without having read what the discussion is about

866 - OB1's annoying stubbornness...

865 - the Yankees! (even though the Red Sox lost last night... *hopes for two more*)

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - Great Rumbler - 6th September 2003

This debate should just end.

The One Thousand Most Annoying Things Ever!! - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2003

Should and will are different things. :)