Tendo City
$99 Gamecube! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: $99 Gamecube! (/showthread.php?tid=957)

$99 Gamecube! - Nintendarse - 15th August 2003

IGNMatt says in N-Query: "Well, Nintendo is trying, even if we don't always see it. Things are happening behind the scenes for the future. And it's not as if GameCube is being entirely neglected. At the end of September, the company will drop the price of the console to $99 smackers, which is I think a pretty significant reduction. Meanwhile, there are games like F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur II and Viewtiful Joe, not to mention Rogue Squadron, Mario Kart, Pikmin II and Metal Gear Solid, all just around the corner. I would call that a very strong lineup."

$99 seems to be a great price point to reach a mainstream audience during the holiday season. I know I'll have my hands full with Gamecube goodness.

$99 Gamecube! - OB1 - 15th August 2003

Let's hope this works!

$99 Gamecube! - Great Rumbler - 15th August 2003

Despite some bad news going around, it finally looks like Nintendo is trying to turn things around. I really hope their plans work out.

$99 Gamecube! - Dark Jaguar - 15th August 2003

I just hope this doesn't give anyone the impression that the Gamecube is going through "death price" where the system plummets just before the next system is released, thus making everyone NOT buy it because they know another is around the corner....

Hmm, in fact, wouldn't it be totally unexpected if Nintendo suddenly launched a system with NO warning?

$99 Gamecube! - Dark Lord Neo - 15th August 2003

Maybe I'll pick up my own cube so I don't have to share with my brother

DJ: Sega launched the Saturn out of nowhere and it didn't do to well (at launch or in the long run), so that might not be the smartest thing to do. But then again the Saturn was extremely expensive...

$99 Gamecube! - Dark Jaguar - 15th August 2003

Launch with a TOTAL MEDIA BLITZ I mean. Something like when Kingdom Hearts was released. I think the media blitz sold that game more than anything. Heck, I memorized parts of Simple and Clean, both mixes, before even getting the game because of how often the commercials played. It was like EVERY SINGLE BREAK on EVERY CHANNEL was advertising that game for a solid month. I'm sure you all remember.

Oh yes.

$99 Gamecube! - EdenMaster - 16th August 2003

Not sure I'm quite understanding Nintendo's policy of bringing in less of what little profits they make (compared to other consoles). It's not too expensive, it looks bad in the eyes of gamers, and it doesn't matter if they make it $50 if they don't repair their tarnished reputation!

$99 Gamecube! - Undertow - 16th August 2003

Oye, I hope the Cube dosn't suffer the same fate as the dreamcast.

$99 Gamecube! - Great Rumbler - 16th August 2003

Remember, software is where the money comes from not hardware. I think why they're doing is this is because people see the GC and then see that the PS2 and Xbox are only a little bit more, so they go with the PS2 or the Xbox. Nintendo has to do things that make the GC more competitive!

$99 Gamecube! - lazyfatbum - 16th August 2003

Yeah! And Wario will give you free lap dances!

Wario: If you cum, I hate you!

$99 Gamecube! - Great Rumbler - 16th August 2003

Erm

$99 Gamecube! - A Black Falcon - 20th August 2003

$99... nice! That should help some... though there is only so much they can do at this point... :(

Oh yeah, videogames cost a LOT here. How does $75 for new videogames (including some for GBA!) sound?

Sure, sure, that includes the 25% taxes (that are included in all prices)... but still, even then its insane.

$99 Gamecube! - OB1 - 20th August 2003

I had to pay $80 for all of my N64 games back when I lived in Europe. Before tax.

$99 Gamecube! - Great Rumbler - 20th August 2003

That's a lot of money for videogames.

$99 Gamecube! - OB1 - 20th August 2003

Yup.

$99 Gamecube! - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2003

I'm sure that's one reason PC games are popular in Europe. Even in Denmark there's a HUGE selection of older games, many of them very good, for $15...