Tendo City
No more boxes for GBA games - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: No more boxes for GBA games (/showthread.php?tid=956)

Pages: 1 2

No more boxes for GBA games - OB1 - 15th August 2003

Instead Nintendo is going to start using regular DVD cases! From Cube-Europe:

Quote:Nintendo is to change the packaging of Game Boy Advance games to DVD packages.

DVD packages are used for all three home consoles and PC games and are now to be used for Game Boy Advance games.

The packaging will hit Europe and America by Christmas while a study is going on in Japan to see if they should be used there.

The packaging is not set to change the prices of games.

According to Spong, the new packaging will hit shelves in Europe and the US in time for this Christmas, with a feasibility study currently underway in Japan.

We will have more on this when or if it is announced officialy.

Source: Spong

Wow, that is really weird. On one hand I'm happy because I'll be able to keep my GBA games in nice cases, but on the other hand it's going to look weird next to all of my GBA boxes and GBA games really don't need to be put into DVD cases.

Well actually, the more I think about it the more I like it, especially since I like having game boxes for my games, and it's very difficult to find used Gameboy games with their boxes.

No more boxes for GBA games - Dark Lord Neo - 15th August 2003

I think they should stick with boxes but bring back the hard plastic holders

No more boxes for GBA games - Dark Jaguar - 15th August 2003

Yeah, I'd much rather have the really small (and thus VERY portable) plastic containers of the past. You CAN still order packs of them, and when you tilt a GBA game sideways you can fit one in them, but it'd be nice to not have to do that. A DVD case? Most people who see how much wasted space is in the GCN DVD cases find it unattractive, as efficient space saving design, more than just being what it is, is also a good look. If they are going to use this method, they better make the cases small. I'm NOT carrying around a full sized DVD case with ONE GBA game in it. I'll be taking the game out of that thing and carrying it around that way, thus kinda negating most of the purpose of these things.

No more boxes for GBA games - Great Rumbler - 15th August 2003

I don't think most people carry around GBA games in the boxes they come in anyway. I like this idea because now everygame you buy comes in the same kind of package, plus the DVD cases are cool and easily fit into almost any area.

Except a frickin POCKET, which is where I carry additional GB games.

The GC DVD cases are perfect at that size because they look great sitting next to my PS2 and X-Box games as well as my regular DVDs. I also don't have to buy a special shelf for them, which is a huge plus.

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Except a frickin POCKET, which is where I carry additional GB games.

You carry the GBA boxes in your pockets?

No, just the games, and they get lint in them, which is why a small case would be much desired.

Why don't you just keep them in the plastic sleeves that come with the games?

I always throw those away.

You mean the little plastic baggies? Those are trash, not storage units! They'll last like ONE trip on the most, oh yeah, I'm using those. :sarcasm:

Unless you frequently chew on the bags, they should last you a very long time. I have bags from two years ago and they're in fine condition.

I do believe you are a FREAK. Little plastic baggies just don't survive with most people. It'll keep a sandwitch fresh until lunch, then fall to pieces. I'm not going to iron out the wrinkles and try to keep it in good condition. And yes, I DO chew on plastic!

I keep my GBA and all of my games in a case that looks kinda like this one. I keep all of my electronics in perfect condition. Hell I still have those little baggies for my N64 games.

[Image: p27684.JPG]

No more boxes for GBA games - A Black Falcon - 20th August 2003

I have a game boy holder bag I keep all my games in. They don't fit in the pouches, but i just stuff them in and zip it closed... I also have dozens of the old hard plastic cases, but don't use them.

Oh, and the boxes are in storage in my room.

As for this... I don't like it. Game Boy games belong in boxes, darnit, and its not like I'd use DVD cases to hold GB games...

No more boxes for GBA games - OB1 - 20th August 2003

Well it is good for buying used GBA games, since most of the time you only get the carts by themselves. And you know, for dorks such as myself it's a lot easier to make a custom case with DVD... cases.

No more boxes for GBA games - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2003

I completely fail to see why anyone would keep tiny, sturdy GB games in giant individual DVD cases.

No more boxes for GBA games - OB1 - 24th August 2003

The same reason why people keep tiny Gamecube discs in DVD cases.

But GC games would get scratched and become useless if left out all the time while GB games are near-indestructible.

No more boxes for GBA games - Dark Jaguar - 24th August 2003

I wouldn't mind it if they shrunk down DVD cases to CD jewel case size myself. It would be more efficient. It would have all the durability of the DVD case with the small size of the cd case (which was basically as small as it could get). OB1 says something about how it being SMALLER would make it not fit in his DVD rack. What possible DVD rack could prevent something SMALLER from fitting in it? Also, why not use what I use for all my DVDs and put all your games and movies in between those things they use to hold up a row of books?

And yes, I see no point in keeping my GBA games anywhere except either my GB portable case thingies or my pockets (when I don't feel like dragging around ALL my games and would rather just drag along ONE game comfortably). Why make it HARDER to quickly grab a game and go? Disks on the other hand will scratch if you look at them funny so it's best to keep them locked inside plastic.

The box itsself isn't that important since I'd never keep GB games in it anyway.

What I want is the little plastic boxes!

No more boxes for GBA games - lazyfatbum - 25th August 2003

*regurgitates a small bird*

Bird: Ho pensato che vedessi un mastice tat *poop*

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No more boxes for GBA games - OB1 - 25th August 2003

DJ, the cases would sink in if they were too small. But I don't really care.

No more boxes for GBA games - Dark Jaguar - 25th August 2003

Sink in... what? What's that supposed to mean? Is it a top loading thingy? If it's that stupidly designed, the owner DESERVES to be screwed when a superior case comes out!

If the discs were smaller then they would stick out less, so they would almost be hidden next to my other game cases.

No more boxes for GBA games - Weltall - 25th August 2003

This is good news. Hopefully the PC industry will follow suit. I mean, I never buy PC games, but cardboard boxes are as last millenium as Imperial France, 8-Tracks and Will Smith.

Yes indeed, I hate the boxes that PC games come in. The least they could do is put the actual discs in DVD cases so that I can put my PC Games on the same shelves that I keep my DVDs and console games.

I agree as well. More than that though, the game companies need to eventually take the step of making a lot of DVD exlclusive games so CD will be phased out. Too much compression and such resulting in way too much space being used on installs. ABF for some reason loves the boxes, but I never keep my games in those plus the jewel cases in the boxes are as fragile as ever. Booklet sizes? As I've suggested, a lot of the story info should be put inside the game, even as a large file (not PDF of course ABF so don't bother telling us you hate PDF files) you access on the main menu or something (with some nice music to listen to while reading it). No reason those booklets need to be so thick. Nothing that can't be put IN the game to learn how to play. As I've said, an interactive tutorial teaching the same stuff as the booklet does the job a LOT better.

Why does he hate pdf files?

The same reason I do. They have as far as I can tell no advantage over HTML documents (in fact HTML can do MORE), yet manage to take up so many resources when using them the system slows down just loading them, even my new system! Scrolling skips around like it shouldn't, and it's just annoying using them all around. I see no reason why anyone would embed a document in PDF form when they could simply use HTML plus images and such in a zip file. Extract to a folder, bam, you got all you need.

Is there something about PDF that actually makes it useful... at all? Maybe I wouldn't hate the files so much if they would just make it far more resource friendly, fast in loading and execution.

Well, PDF files look the same on every computer. HTML files most certainly do not. It's mostly an aesthetic thing.

PDFs print a lot nicer as well.

Why print, EVER? Seriously, we are SUPPOSED to be becoming a paperless society! It's not like we've ALWAYS had paper or something so it's an innate part of our existance. It was invented just like anything else we did, and can fade like anything else, if companies would STOP thinking they need to hand out paper all the time! Can't wait for some cheap book sized screens with scroll buttons to replace ALL paper myself. Whenever I say this someone usually tells me about missing the tactile feeling of turning pages. Screw that. It makes my skin dry out handling paper anyway.

No paper = No books. I love books. Paper stays.

What d'ya mean it means no books? I just got done saying why books would easily still be around, and easier to handle at that, and backlit!

No more boxes for GBA games - Private Hudson - 25th August 2003

Why would you want to get rid of paper? Do youp even know where paper comes from?? TREES. We need to tear down as many as those suckers as possible before Day of the Triffids becomes a reality!

[Image: golden-forest.jpg]

[Image: SF845.jpg]

IT MUST BE STOPPED!!!11

[Image: 10-chainsaw.jpg]

[Image: tree.jpg]

AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!11!1!1

[Image: dw09nobel.jpg]

You're right! We need to kill them ALL before Cenarius rallies the ents to destroy us all!

No more boxes for GBA games - Laser Link - 25th August 2003

But look! It's a box!!!

[Image: fireemblem_082203_box_small.jpg]

This was really just an excuse to post the Fire Emblem box. I guess it truly is happening this time.

I know! I feel like jumping for joy.

I hope you and DJ get this game.

No more boxes for GBA games - A Black Falcon - 26th August 2003

Awesome!

No more boxes for GBA games - Dark Jaguar - 27th August 2003

In other box related news, why isn't the subtitle for that Fire Emblem game on it? It's GOT one, so why don't they include it?

No more boxes for GBA games - A Black Falcon - 27th August 2003

Its the first game ever in the series here. Why use a subtitle?

Only HERE, and why use a subtitle? That's the line of thinking that resulted in the Final Fantasy name confusion when they decided to change the numbering a long time ago!

Imagine this scenario. Fire Emblem becomes a HUGE hit here. They remake the old NES games. What do they call the first one? Do they just make one up? How odd would it look to see a huge line of Fire Emblem games and one right in the middle has no sub title? The future has to be thought of here.

Keep it because that's the game's proper name, and it's cool! Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was the first one in the series and it had a subtitle. Zelda 1 even had a subtitle, but only in Japan. Why drop it when there's no good reason to?

No more boxes for GBA games - OB1 - 27th August 2003

Yes, a subtitle would be good, especially since this is the second GBA FE game that Nintendo made. If they ever plan on releasing the first GBA game then it would be less confusing to have the original subtitle.

No more boxes for GBA games - A Black Falcon - 27th August 2003

Oh, a subtitle would be better, sure, and would plan for the future... but its okay without one. Not a big issue.

:stupid:

Who's Jeremy?

What?

Missed it? Okay, I'll type it again, and don't worry I'll type it slowly this time.

Who's Jeremy?

No more boxes for GBA games - Private Hudson - 27th August 2003

Referring to your signature, OB1..

What about it? You wanna be in my sig?

Well alright, I think you've deserved it.