Tendo City
It's about time! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: It's about time! (/showthread.php?tid=953)

It's about time! - OB1 - 15th August 2003

http://wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond_pr.html

The diamond industry has been inflating the prices of diamonds for ages now, but it looks like their time may be up soon.

It's about time! - N-Man - 15th August 2003

...it's about time for a useful and productive component of the economy to become the equivalent of the dollar store chain? Wtf are diamonds good for if cubic zirconium's worth *more* than them?

Jenny: Look, I have a diamond!
Sally: Look, I have fourteen! I all bought them for three bucks each!

Because diamonds can serve far greater purposes than just ornaments for peoples' ears and fingers. You should read that entire article, but in case you don't here's the most important part:

Quote:Diamond, it turns out, is a geek's best friend. Not only is it the hardest substance known, it also has the highest thermal conductivity - tremendous heat can pass through it without causing damage. Today's speedy microprocessors run hot - at upwards of 200 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact, they can't go much faster without failing. Diamond microchips, on the other hand, could handle much higher temperatures, allowing them to run at speeds that would liquefy ordinary silicon. But manufacturers have been loath even to consider using the precious material, because it has never been possible to produce large diamond wafers affordably. With the arrival of Gemesis, the Florida-based company, and Apollo Diamond, in Boston, that is changing. Both startups plan to use the diamond jewelry business to finance their attempt to reshape the semiconducting world.

Okay, excuse me then. Semiconductors.

*sabotages synthetic diamond factory*

:D

It's about time! - Great Rumbler - 15th August 2003

In 3001 [by Arthur C. Clark] they used diamond to make giant elavators that took people to space stations.

I want to do that!

Me too!

Let's make one as soon as diamonds drop in price!

Yeah! And then we can make a giant transparent spaceship to take us to distant galaxies!

Like the one Wonder Woman has??

EXACTLY like the one Wonder Woman has!

But her jet is invisible...

Well, while ours won't be INVISIBLE it will be TRANSPARENT which is almost nearly the same thing.

No it isn't.

Well, we can pretend like it is!

No we can't, and how dare you suggest that! That's it, I'm quitting!

It's about time! - Dark Jaguar - 15th August 2003

Oh please, her jet's not invisible, at least not completely. It's covered in white lines, possibly the joints where the sheets of invisible metal or whatever meet. Anyone can see frickin' lines. More than that, anyone can still see the occupants!

And it's about time this happened. Now then, we just need to find a way to make synthetic gold for it's various electronic advantages.

Of course, synthetic doesn't mean fake. It's exactly like the real thing down to the atomic level, just made differently. Most nerds here realize that, but the general public seems to have this ignorant stigma against processed stuff, or synthetic stuff, or ooh, chemicals! Synthetic just means SAME thing found in nature but man made (well sometimes, sometimes it really is just a fake item), processing is VERY needed, as you wouldn't want unprocessed oil for instance, and is hardly some horrible unhealthy evil thing, and chemicals, well WATER is a chemical!

Her jet is invisible, it's just that in some of the comics and in the crappy Superfriends cartoon they gave it white outlines which was really stupid.

Quote:That's it, I'm quitting!

Fine! I didn't want to work with you anyway! I guess I'll just have to build the space elevator ALL BY MYSELF!!

I'll break it when you're done!

Yeah, why would she draw white lines on it? That WAS a stupid choice.

A few artists did that because they didn't know how to draw an invisible jet. It's pretty easy, actually. Take a look at this picture for an example of how it should look:

That's amazing.

Well since it's drawn with visible lines, for those comics and shows, it officially HAS visible white lines!

This is how you do WW's invisible jet right. Notice that aren't any stupid white lines around the ship, and you can't see anything but the door (as she just opened it). You can see the outline of the ship in the first two paintings because of sand and wind.

[Image: wwpage2829.jpg]
[Image: wwpage3233.jpg]
[Image: wwpage0607.jpg]
[Image: wwpage5455.jpg]

...did Wonder Woman invade Iraq too? That guy in the second panel *does* look kinda like Colin Powell...

Ah no, she didn't invade Iraq. You'll have to pick up the book yourself to see what it's about. It's an oversized comic called "Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth". Good story and worth the $10 for the art alone.

Um, does the jet make her invisible? If not, I don't see the point.

Of course it does.

Well never saw her go invisible when getting in her jet in the old show.

That's why the old show sucked.

It's about time! - EdenMaster - 16th August 2003

:topic:

Oh wait, this is better :D

It's about time! - Moiraine - 18th August 2003

:stupid:

It's about time! - Great Rumbler - 18th August 2003

Cool

It's about time! - Weltall - 18th August 2003

How does she remember where she parks it?

It's about time! - Great Rumbler - 18th August 2003

We may never know.

It's about time! - OB1 - 18th August 2003

She uh... has special goggles.

It's about time! - EdenMaster - 19th August 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Weltall
How does she remember where she parks it?

More importantly, wouldn't people always be running into it?

It's about time! - Private Hudson - 19th August 2003

Quote:Originally posted by EdenMaster
More importantly, wouldn't people always be running into it?

[Image: jmp1pl2.gif]

It's about time! - OB1 - 19th August 2003

Indeed he will be.