Tendo City
Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed (/showthread.php?tid=949)

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - OB1 - 13th August 2003

IGN has found out what kind of game the new Namco co-developed DK title will be.

What is it? Is it a 3D platformer? Nope! Is it a 2.5D platformer? Nope!! Is it a remake of the original Donkey Kong? Nope!!!!

It's a stupid MUSIC game!!

Quote:August 13, 2003 - Last week Nintendo announced that it had partnered with Namco to develop a GameCube update to the Donkey Kong series. It was assumed that the title would be a pure platformer in the tradition of the franchise. However, IGNcube has learned differently. Here's what we know:
The beginnings of this new Donkey Kong game may trace as far back as the Dreamcast system. Sonic Team had just released Samba De Amigo, a port of a successful maraca-based arcade music game, and it immediately became popular with a niche audience. Designer Shigeru Miyamoto was one of the game's followers, and he on several occasions spoke highly of it.

On March 10, 2003, Nintendo registered the trademark for Donkey Konga. This, say sources, is the tentative name for the new title, which dumps its platformer roots in favor of exploring the music genre.

Donkey Konga is a music title in which gamers play conga drums with Donkey Kong and friends, allege sources. So far insiders have been unable to tell us if the game will work with standard GameCube controllers or if players will need to purchase a separate conga peripheral, but the latter seems more likely.

Stay tuned for more on the intriguing project.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 13th August 2003

Erm

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - A Black Falcon - 13th August 2003

That's annoying... :(

I just don't know what to say anymore. Right now I'm half expecting Mario 128 to be announced as a baking game.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 13th August 2003

This woulnd't be as big a deal if there weren't already a lot of gimicky games on the GC. There's this, the two Zelda games, Pac-man, ect. I'm not saying that won't be fun, but we want some REAL games, Nintendo!!

And there isn't a single platformer coming from Nintendo this year. Rare's loss is hurting more than ever.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Nintendarse - 13th August 2003

Nintendo: "If we showed this at E3, our brilliant, innovative, awesome idea would have been stolen by our devious and idea-theiving competitors!"

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - A Black Falcon - 13th August 2003

Wario World... er...

Yeah, no real platformers from a first or second party (I am sure there are 3rd party ones, but those are on other consoles too...).

Yes, the loss of Rare is felt. On the N64 Nintendo only made a couple of platformers, but it was fine because Rare made a lot of them... now we see what it is like without them. And it stinks. :(

Oh, and I agree -- a few gimmick games are okay, but its getting a bit ridiculous.

Wario World isn't really a platformer. It has more in common with TMNT than it does with Mario 64, really

I just want to know what the hell EAD is working on. Miyamoto revealed that only three people are working on Pacman, so that's not taking up a lot of resources. Their only new game coming out this year is Pikmin 2 (WW came out in Japan last year), so what have they been up to?

Maybe they're working on a really big, super-secret project and that's why we haven't heard anything about it!!

I can dream can't I?!

Nintendo just doesn't publish many first-party games. Remember... for N64 they made ONE EAD platformer. ONE game from Intelligent Systems. TWO games from HAL. Etc...

Well that was mainly due to the long development cycles of the N64. We're getting even fewer EAD Gamecube games, even though it's much easier to develop for than the N64 was. It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, it is strange... Nintendo seems to manage to find ways to take forever to make games no matter the ease of making games for the system. And we suffer for it... though the games they do finally make are usually great, it just isn't enough on its own. And as you said... losing Rare hurts a lot.

Its not like there are too few Cube games for me... I get very few games so there are plenty... its just that it does need a few more exclusives in some genres.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - lazyfatbum - 14th August 2003

I guess i'm the only person interested in it.

Just because they make a game in a particular genre doesn't mean that same character cant appear in a different genre of a totally new game. Look at Star Fox. This is just an experiment on Nintendo's part, remember the Pokemon guitar thing? the Picalelee or something? That probably got scrapped in favor of this project. I mean think about it... a Miyamoto game where you interact through music, probably able to record yourself playing drums and create percussion bands of up to 4 people where you score by playing well. We all have fond memories of Pa Rappa and Samba De Amigo and this, from Nintendo and Namco, should be everything Samba De Amigo was and more.

If this was the Mario Artist games I doubt anyone would be disappointed. Except OB1 and ABF who have no artistic abilities what so ever and probably live together as lovers.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - OB1 - 14th August 2003

Wha? I'm an art major, dick face. I'm dissapointed in this game because I just don't blindly like everything that Nintendo makes like you do, and I actually care about whether a game will sell well or not. Hey I love Samba De Amigo to death (obviously the inspiration for the game), but the game sold a total of 5 copies (roughly) in the U.S. Nintendo isn't doing very well right now and they seriously don't seem to want to do well. Games like Pacman and Tetra's Trackers look fun and everything, but they're not going to sell consoles! Same goes for Samba De Donkey Kong here.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - lazyfatbum - 14th August 2003

I understand, I had no idea you own stock percent in Nintendo Company Limited of Japan. I'm sure your investments in the company will pay off someday.

Now, while you're worried about how much money Nintendo will make on this project, i'm going to worry about if the game sounds interesting to me or not.

*thinks*

Hmm...

*calculates*

Ah, carry the one...

Yup! I sure do! There's going to be atleast a quarter of a Yen in your pocket thanks to ME! Good luck on your future endevours! And let me know how the R&D goes for Donkey Konga, kay? Thanks! :love:

hint: OB1 is secretly a dumb man.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - EdenMaster - 14th August 2003

Hmm...can't say I'm thrilled to see Donkey Kong going in a new direction, but how long can we make games about a necktie-wearing ape collecting bananas? Taking the game in a new direction is just a way of exploring new, possibly fruitful possibilities.

Just like when Nintendo turned from making playing cards to video games. Aren't we all glad they changed from a tried and true business that had lasted for neary 80 years to something new which could doom the company if they failed.

Change can be bad. Change can be good. We can't be sure until we see the final product.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 14th August 2003

It's IS being made by Shiggy, so I'll keep an open mind about it.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Dark Jaguar - 14th August 2003

Indeed, the trick is not to totally embrace ALL change, nor to totally resist ALL change. One can either trust everything, or doubt everything. Both ways save you from thinking.

Myself? I never played Amigo, though it would seem I missed out. I do believe I'm quite interested in this game though. I'll certainly check it out, as it may end up being as full and rich a game as it is unique, much like Animal Crossing.

Quote:I understand, I had no idea you own stock percent in Nintendo Company Limited of Japan. I'm sure your investments in the company will pay off someday.

Now, while you're worried about how much money Nintendo will make on this project, i'm going to worry about if the game sounds interesting to me or not.

*thinks*

Hmm...

*calculates*

Ah, carry the one...

Yup! I sure do! There's going to be atleast a quarter of a Yen in your pocket thanks to ME! Good luck on your future endevours! And let me know how the R&D goes for Donkey Konga, kay? Thanks!

hint: OB1 is secretly a dumb man.

Let's see, how best to explain this to someone of your... "special" intelligence level.

If Nintendo makes games that don't attract many people, they won't sell very well. If their games don't sell well then they stop making them. On the other hand, if they make games that do attract a lot of people, these games will sell well and then Nintendo will be able to make lots of more games! Pretty amazing how that works, huh?

lazy's argument is he'd rather Nintendo die making awesome games then live making games he wouldn't wipe his golden arse with, I'll bet. It's something I'm sure we ALL agree on as a concept alone, but it's whether or not those are even the only two ways it could go that's the main argument.

Oh I'd definitely rather see them go out making good games than prosper making crappy games, but do you really think that Pacman and a bongo game would be better than say, a new Kid Icarus game and a new Dk platformer?

Kid Icarus over ghost Pacman? Certainly! Music game over platformer? Hmm... I think I'd rather see them try something new here...

Did you just say you would rather see them go out AND make bad games? I think you mixed up the options :D.

Something new when there's already something big to bring in sales, but when that's all there is? Not a smart move. Even Sega was smart enough to release Samba De Amigo close to a sure-seller so that their quarterly profits wouldn't be too low.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - lazyfatbum - 15th August 2003

Thank you for catering to my level of special intelligence, OB1, by explaining again how important it is to you to see a company do well based on your ideas and not their own. I am humbled beyond reason and I believe that you should be praised as the most important member of this board.

For me to poop on.

I mean really dude, what are you? Are you irish or something? What the fuck is your deal? You make pointless arguments with everyone's opinion and then have nothing but more opinions to throw back at them. It's rediculous. Reading this board is like watching a train wreck, all I see is OB1 yelling at someone for their opinion or yelling at ABF because... it's so easy to do. Shit man if you want a dick measuring contest let's make a thread in Ramble but if you want to talk shop then lighten up a little.

DJ/ While I do want to see Nintendo do well it's no skin off my nose if they dont. All I see is a game that interests me. How that works in to the grande scheme of Nintendo's marketing and use of their company resources has very little to do with that interest.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - OB1 - 15th August 2003

Ok listen you little fuck, the only person I ever really have heated arguments with is ABF, and he argues with just about everyone else so it's not just me. I manage to have normal friendly debates with most everyone else when they're actually willing to post about a Nintendo topic, but it's usually just me and ABF since we post the most often.

If you really think that Nintendo always knows what's best for them then you need a wake-up call. Nintendo is the single best video game developer in the world yet they're in third place behind Sony and MS. And why are they in third place? Because they make bad decisions. Only the Nintendo faithful are buying their games and even that number has been dwindling since they've been dissapointing so many of their fans with recent game announcements (Pacman, Tetra's Trackers, Donkey Konga). If they don't change a few things then they're going to go the way of Sega, and I don't want that to happen. What can I do? I can express my concerns on an internet message board. That's it. It doesn't help the situation but it gives me a chance to discuss these topics with fellow Nintendo fans who actually care about the future of Nintendo (which you obviously do not). If you've got a problem with that then you should stay the fuck out of this place.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Dark Jaguar - 15th August 2003

Getting angry at lazy? That's an illegal operation!

lazy is the cornerstone of Tendocity, even though he's often away without leave, so none can ever doubt him!

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - OB1 - 15th August 2003

The man isn't even a regular member anymore. He just comes here every once in a while to say "penis" and make an ass of himself.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - EdenMaster - 16th August 2003

Yet, amongst his many penis references and voluntary self-ass-making, he makes some strong and valid points.

Nintendo has made some wrong turns at Albuquerque a few times in the past, but they are still a world class game developer. All you need to look at is their firts party titles. They blow anything on any console clean out of the water. Nintendo's only problem is the mistakes they've made in the past are haunting them today. If threy make themselves "cool" in the eyes of gamers again, they've quickly rise the charts.

That's not gonna happen overnight, but I don't think Nintendo is sitting in Japan with their thumbs up their asses hoping their sales will go up. They're working hard over there to make the best games, make the best console, and repair their image. We may not see it, but what we see isn't always the whole story. Nintendo may appear to the eyes of most to be doing anything, but they are. They're doing a lot, rest assured, they've just not let the cat out of the bag yet.

Trust in the N. They won't steer you wrong.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - OB1 - 16th August 2003

What good points?? He's basically saying that we shouldn't care how well Nintendo does in the industry.

Of course Nintendo makes the best games (which I have repeated a few dozen times here over the past 24 hours), but if their games don't sell then they're not going to make them anymore. Nintendo is doing really bad right now, and if they can't change their current situation soon then they're going to become MS's bitch like Sega is.

But you don't know how the game will sell. Nobody knows.

Rolleyes

It doesn't take a genius to figure that a Donkey Kong platformer would sell better than a bongo game.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 16th August 2003

[1] How many Donkey Kong platformers has Nintendo made?

[2] How many musical games has Nitnendo made?

The answer to [1] is a lot and the answer to [2] is none....at least none that I can think of.

Music games don't sell very well in the states. The only exception was Parappa and to a lesser extent, DDR.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 16th August 2003

Nintendo's made a lot of Donkey Kong platformers, but they've never made a music game before.

Who knows what the Nintendo Difference can do an underappreciated genre?

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - lazyfatbum - 16th August 2003

"If you really think that Nintendo always knows what's best for them then you need a wake-up call."

You're absolutely right. How on Earth would a multi billion dollar company who practically invented the industry know what's better for them. I am in awe of your presence.

"Nintendo is the single best video game developer in the world yet they're in third place behind Sony and MS."

Yes, I agree.

"And why are they in third place? Because they make bad decisions."

Really? I thought it was because Sony and Microsoft make the best decisions in marketing. Obviously there's no single company attatched to Microsoft or Sony (save for Square Soft and their occasional must have game) that equal anything to close to Nintendo's in-house developments, but that's arguable depending on your taste in games. Not unlike movies actually.

"Only the Nintendo faithful are buying their games and even that number has been dwindling since they've been dissapointing so many of their fans with recent game announcements (Pacman, Tetra's Trackers, Donkey Konga)."

Almost all of the game developers at Fullsail are excited about Donkey Konga and hope that it allows you to record "Jam Sessions". Pot heads and bongos... go figure. I've had no problem in Nintendo's current generation at all. Every game from Nintendo has been a must play, must own title which either offers something totally new or is an improvement over a 64 title, like Zelda: WW or Mario Sunshine which are definative titles in their respected genres which i've gotten alot of enjoyment out of. How is it that you tell me I should leave because I dont care about Nintendo's business decisions when you're the one disappointed in their latest games? I seem to have no problem with their announcements on games.

"If they don't change a few things then they're going to go the way of Sega, and I don't want that to happen."

Why not? Imagine how much time and money could go straight in to game development. But I understand the severity of this industry losing it's corner stone as a hardware manufacturer. All that a side however, Sega made decisions that were truely horrible for it's company by trying to win over the public in ad campaigns that cost millions and extensive hardware upgrades that were never supported by third parties. Nintendo doesn't seem to share those traits, of course they also happen to have the largest bank accounts in this industry.

"What can I do? I can express my concerns on an internet message board. That's it. It doesn't help the situation but it gives me a chance to discuss these topics with fellow Nintendo fans who actually care about the future of Nintendo (which you obviously do not). If you've got a problem with that then you should stay the fuck out of this place."

It's kinda funny isn't it? You admit it doesn't help but then beg me to help you in your quest for arguments so we (those who "care", unlike the people actually interested in games and not politics) can all ponder Nintendo's horrible failures. Which, save for the Virtual Boy, there are very few. You are a wise and learned man, OBQuiet. But since you were nice enough to cater to my special level of intelligence let me return the favor.

*ahem*

You bitch. You STUPID fucking bitch. I cant fucking believe your stupid fucking way of seeing the world you innept small minded sac of unsalted dry roast peanuts you make me want to fucking puke on your mother. If you had ONE FUCKING BRAIN CELL in your empty fucking head then you would realize how TOTALLY fucking useless it is to argue like this you fuzzy wuzzy widdle cutie patootie wubby face! Who's the baby??? who's the baby!!!! WHO'S THE PWETTY WITY BABY!?!?!? IS YOU!!!! YES YOU ARE! YES you ARE! Goodness, just a little angel. *pinches OBQuiet's cheeks*

And now, I quote the Moody Blues.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy is spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one;
Lonely man cries for love and has none;
New mother picks up and suckles her son;
Senior citizens wish they were young.

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight,
Red is grey and yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion.

Quote:You bitch. You STUPID fucking bitch. I cant fucking believe your stupid fucking way of seeing the world you innept small minded sac of unsalted dry roast peanuts you make me want to fucking puke on your mother. If you had ONE FUCKING BRAIN CELL in your empty fucking head then you would realize how TOTALLY fucking useless it is to argue like this you fuzzy wuzzy widdle cutie patootie wubby face! Who's the baby??? who's the baby!!!! WHO'S THE PWETTY WITY BABY!?!?!? IS YOU!!!! YES YOU ARE! YES you ARE! Goodness, just a little angel. *pinches OBQuiet's cheeks*

Erm

Quote:You're absolutely right. How on Earth would a multi billion dollar company who practically invented the industry know what's better for them. I am in awe of your presence.

You naive little boy. If Nintendo knew what they were doing then they wouldn't be number three. They'd have better marketing, support online gaming, and not make systems that look like e-z bake ovens (that's what most casual gamers tell me :S )

Quote:Really? I thought it was because Sony and Microsoft make the best decisions in marketing. Obviously there's no single company attatched to Microsoft or Sony (save for Square Soft and their occasional must have game) that equal anything to close to Nintendo's in-house developments, but that's arguable depending on your taste in games. Not unlike movies actually.

Wait but I thought that it was because Nintendo wants to be in third place! Remember that ingenious theory of yours? Rolleyes

Of course it's marketing. Marketing and public relations. That is why Nintendo is doing the worst out of the three.

Quote:Almost all of the game developers at Fullsail are excited about Donkey Konga and hope that it allows you to record "Jam Sessions". Pot heads and bongos... go figure. I've had no problem in Nintendo's current generation at all. Every game from Nintendo has been a must play, must own title which either offers something totally new or is an improvement over a 64 title, like Zelda: WW or Mario Sunshine which are definative titles in their respected genres which i've gotten alot of enjoyment out of. How is it that you tell me I should leave because I dont care about Nintendo's business decisions when you're the one disappointed in their latest games? I seem to have no problem with their announcements on games.

Are you fucking blind or something? Is your memory really that bad or are you just plain stupid? I just talked about how this generation has been the best in terms of quality and quantity from Nintendo (IMO, of course). You're completely missing the point. While I am intrigued by Donkey Konga and will most likely buy it if it's as entertaining as Samba De Amigo, it's probably not going to help Nintendo's current situation as much as a regular platformer would. Music games don't usually sell well over here.

Quote:Why not? Imagine how much time and money could go straight in to game development. But I understand the severity of this industry losing it's corner stone as a hardware manufacturer. All that a side however, Sega made decisions that were truely horrible for it's company by trying to win over the public in ad campaigns that cost millions and extensive hardware upgrades that were never supported by third parties. Nintendo doesn't seem to share those traits, of course they also happen to have the largest bank accounts in this industry.

It would suck if Nintendo left the hardware industry because it would mean that there would be no more gaming-only companies making consoles anymore. That and I'd miss their controllers.

Nintendo obviously isn't doing as bad as Sega did, but for the past six or so years they've been losing in the home console market. The Gamecube is already losing a lot of third-party support and it has no chance of doing as well as the PS2 or X-Box. I really don't think Nintendo can afford to be in last place in the next round of consoles.

Quote:It's kinda funny isn't it? You admit it doesn't help but then beg me to help you in your quest for arguments so we (those who "care", unlike the people actually interested in games and not politics) can all ponder Nintendo's horrible failures. Which, save for the Virtual Boy, there are very few. You are a wise and learned man, OBQuiet. But since you were nice enough to cater to my special level of intelligence let me return the favor.

I asked you to help with what?? Most of us here aren't idiotic, blind fanboys like you are. I've been coming here for the past four years because of my love for Nintendo games, but like most of us realize, Nintendo isn't exactly winning the console race. We talk about the great new games that come out, but then also talk about what we feel Nintendo should do to get ahead of MS and Sony. Things like marketing, online gaming, etc. If you don't like that then tough fucking luck.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - lazyfatbum - 16th August 2003

hahaha you dont even know what you're arguing about anymore :D

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Dark Jaguar - 16th August 2003

Well I'm an even bigger moron because I still argue with him, so there! I win! Moron, or crazy.... Well, I DO think my arguments will be used to slowly adjust universe state probabilities into a future reality in which I have a fairy powered ray gun, so I lean towards WAX PRESSED KITTENS!

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - lazyfatbum - 17th August 2003

*salutes*

Hail Cheese!

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 17th August 2003

Oh yeah? Well I argue way more than you and about more important things like the price of tea on Jupiter and how much the sun weighs! Which, btw, is 70 billion tons! I know, I weighed it myself! But, the point is...ray guns powered by fairies are flawed for the simple fact that wax pressed kittens don't work! They don't! I've tried it before and it doesn't work! Besides fairies are tri-polar and thus can't produce positively-charged anti-matter which I shouldn't have to point out isn't good for making crystal light laser rays!!

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Dark Jaguar - 24th June 2013

Oh the ancient posts of our past.

I just wanted to leave this here.

OB1: "Music games don't sell well in the united states."

A few years later, Guitar Hero dominates everything everywhere forever, then dies so quickly people forgot it was ever huge. How many plastic guitars are sitting around in attics across the country?

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Great Rumbler - 24th June 2013

This thread shall live forever as a reminder than even during the early days of the Gamecube we were all complaining about Nintendo releasing gimmicky games.

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Sacred Jellybean - 24th June 2013

"OBQuiet". I had forgotten about that. Rofl

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2013

It's too bad that OB1 left and hasn't been heard from in years now. :(

Oh bloody hell... Donkey Kong details revealed - Dark Jaguar - 24th June 2013

Yeah, Gamecube is too gimicky. Why I remember how great the N64 days were... when we complained about gimicky games like Pokemon Puzzle League and Pokemon Snap. It's always Pokemon with you isn't it Nintendo?!

In short, some of their gimicky games were actually pretty awesome. Also, play Harmoknight. It's actually pretty fun.