Tendo City
Nintendo's Press Conference - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Nintendo's Press Conference (/showthread.php?tid=938)

Pages: 1 2

Nintendo's Press Conference - Great Rumbler - 7th August 2003

Quote:Nintendo president Satoru Iwata made the following announcements at the news conference on the company's business strategy:

[] A GameCube version of Made in Wario (Wario Ware) will be released in Japan this October.

[] A new version of Donkey Kong is under joint-development with Namco, and will be released this year.

[] A brand new Zelda game will be released next year.

[] The company will be launching an 'air mile' system for Nintendo Products in Japan (already known as VIP 24:7 in Europe).

[] Last but not least, the company said it will announce a new Nintendo product spring next year.

Made in Wario GC?! Donkey Kong from Namco?! A new Zelda game next year?! *explodes*

Nintendo's Press Conference - A Black Falcon - 7th August 2003

Sounds good... more than I expected from this announcement, really. :)

It's like E3 part 2, except they don't have demos of the games.

Nintendo's Press Conference - OB1 - 7th August 2003

Actually this is much better than their pathetic E3 press conference.

Gamecube Wario Ware? Woo! Zelda next year? Yay! A new DK game co-developed by Namco? Yay.... what? Why Namco? I can't think of any good platformers that they've made, and I really hope that the next DK game will be a platformer...

Yeah, Namco does seem like a strange choice... but Gamecube Wario Ware is great news! That game is really good... :)

Namco developed the Klonoa series. A 2.5 Donkey Kong game? It just might be...

Nintendo's Press Conference - Dark Jaguar - 7th August 2003

Not new Donkey Kong, new VERSION of Donkey Kong. That COULD be translation, but it also could just mean Namco is the one who's remaking the old Donkey Kong Game Boy game.

I bet it's just going to be the original Donkey Kong game with GBA link-up support, and Nintendo will sell it for $50 and expect people to buy it.

Klonoa is a great platformer series, but I'd rather see a 3D, somewhat linear Donkey Kong platformer (like Rayman 2, kinda). 2.5D games don't sell too well, unfortunately.

Quote:I bet it's just going to be the original Donkey Kong game with GBA link-up support, and Nintendo will sell it for $50 and expect people to buy it.

I hope that isn't what it is...at least the part about it being $50.

I was just kidding, poking fun at their Pacman game (which looks fun but definitely shouldn't have been the focus of their E3 press conference).

2.5-d platformers can be quite good... I know I thought Goemon's Great Adventure was a great game... but yeah they aren't as popular. So I don't know... but it could be cool...

Yeah, the Rayman-style 3d but cooridors would be great too.

I don't want it to become Crash Bandicoot, just something that's a little closer to Rayman 2 with its linearity. There should be lots of running, jumping, vine swinging, and be pretty fast, faster than DKC.

Woah, wait a second. I just re-read GR's post and noticed that DK is supposed to come out this year, which would be incredible. Now if only they'd give us some screenshots...

Nintendo's Press Conference - Dark Jaguar - 7th August 2003

Speed isn't what DK is about though. In fact, I found some fun in having to deal with DK's limited speed to deal with various situations.

Now what would be REALLY cool is a puzzle game in the style of DK'94.

Yes, that's my favorite Donkey Kong game. Cool

DKC was actually pretty fast, but an extra boost of speed for a 3D game would be nice. I'm thinking something a bit faster than Crash Bandicoot, especially if the areas are larger than the ones found in that game.

ABF: Mario & Donkey Kong is another classic DK remake and should be coming out for the GBA sometime this century, so look out for that,.

I know Mario and Donkey Kong is coming out some indeterminate time this millenium, but a GC one would be so cool too... sure its quite different from standard Mario or DK games, but its a great puzzle game.

Oh, and yes, added speed would be great.

Nintendo's Press Conference - Nintendarse - 8th August 2003

Of all the things that DK64 lacked, the most vital thing was pacing. Some of the tasks may have required speed, but the pacing of the game was atrociously slow. DKC's gameplay seemed to contain a hidden beat that was regulated by the baddies, the music, and the obstacles. I hope that the new version can recapture this pacing.

Nintendo's Press Conference - A Black Falcon - 8th August 2003

Replace DK64 there with Mario 64 and DKC by any 2d Mario game and you have an equally true statement... arena-based (ie not cooridor ones like Rayman 2) 3d platformers are just slow-paced. That is their nature.

Nintendo's Press Conference - OB1 - 8th August 2003

That's not true. Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and even Banjo-Kazooie are much more fast-paced than DK64 was. Every single character in Dk64 was slow as hell, and there weren't even any great platforming bits to keep up the pace (as there are in the above-mentioned games). Controlling DK felt like controlling a potato with legs. He didn't even have any cool moves (same with all of the other DK characters) to make it seem faster.

Oh and Nintendojo is reporting that this DK game might be a remake of the original DK. As long as it's a real remake and not just the same game with multiplayer support (like Pacman is), I'll be happy.

Nintendo's Press Conference - Dark Jaguar - 8th August 2003

Well yeah, that's DK for GB all over (the year was NEVER part of the title), a remake of the old DK game, but so much of a remake that the first four levels are pretty much an aside to the rest of it.

The year isn't part of the title but its a easy way to distinguish the original DK from the 1994 Game Boy game with the same name...

Oh, and from everything I have seen B-K, B-T, and DK64 all have about the same slow pace. I don't see how DK64 is slower than those games... they all play so similarly...

As for Mario 64 and Sunshine, they are faster than the Rare games, sure, but don't match up to the speed of the older 2d titles.

Oh, and in DK for GB (like that name more? I find it more clumsy...), the first four levels are really irrelevant -- and once you figure out how to double-jump, triple-jump, handstand-jump, etc, they take seconds to finish. :)

Well I've played just about every single decent 3D platformer out there (I had to since that's pretty much all I owned during the N64 days), and I can very easily tell the difference in speed between DK and everything else. You really did move like a potato in that game, while in Mario and BK you were always doing jumps, flips, flying, etc., which really gave the games a fast pace. Not as fast as the 2D Mario games of course, but many times faster than DK64.

I see absolutely no speed difference between DK64 and B-T.

Nintendo's Press Conference - Dark Jaguar - 8th August 2003

How about... DKGB?

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I see absolutely no speed difference between DK64 and B-T.

I wouldn't expect you to.

DK94, DKGB... both seem fine to me...

Quote:I wouldn't expect you to.

I played both DK64 and Banjo-Tooie a few days ago. The pace in both games is very, very similar.

They're similar when you seperate Banjo from Kazooie, because then he can't do as much as both combined. The speed of their running is similar (Bk is still a bit faster), but the pace of the game is faster because there's more platform jumping, more moves to perform, and just an overall more frantic pace. In DK you basically just walk around and hit stuff. There's very little challenging platforming parts.

That's just not true. All of Rare's platformers play quite similarly... sure, each is unique, but they all have a LOT in common.

Sure, the 5 characters do slow down the game a little bit. But not as dramatically as you say... and it most certainly has lots of platforming in it.

Actually it is true and I've played their platformers much longer than you have, so suck it. DK64 has very little true platforming in it. The stuff is so easy that it's really not worth mentioning.

I'd argue it, but its quite obvious that you wouldn't even BEGIN to listen, so what's the point...

But I see absolutely no factual basis for saying that DK64 is any slower, really, than Banjo-Tooie. Conker of course is faster because it has no collecting... but the style still is similar.

Listen to what? I have more experience with these games than you do (I probably spent around 500 hours total on all three Rare collect-a-thon platformers).

How B-T (I won't talk about B-K because I really haven't played it enough to fully judge it...) and DK64 are, game pacing wise, pretty similar. Sure, DK64 might make you go through levels a bit more for the banannas, but B-T has lots of collecting too of a wide variety of items, and several different characters you have to use... it is NOT faster paced than DK64! Actually, B-T feels VERY similar gameplay-wise to DK64. That is a good thing, but the fact is they feel very, very similar.

Well, except for the totally different control schemes.

Totally different control schemes, totally different moves, totally different kinds of levels, totally different kinds of gameplay (DK's walking around collecting bananas vs. Banjo's more platform-oriented design). Yeah, they're the exact same alright! Rolleyes

I have no idea why in B-T they changed the control scheme so much from DK64, because most of the controls are pretty much the same things but on different buttons... B instead of Z for teleport, different firing method (both are okay, and don't really change game pacing... they're just different...), etc. It'd have been easier if they left most of the controls the same... I see no reason to have changed most of them.

Totally different kinds of levels? Uhh.. .are you REALLY playing the same games as me? Because in my eyes the only difference that really matters is the banannas in DK64 -- the level designs themselves are VERY similar.

As for the gameplay, I still don't understand how you think they are different.

Nintendo's Press Conference - big guy - 9th August 2003

i can't speak for B-T but B-k feels very much like mario 64 and is a very good game. DK feels like crap.

Nintendo's Press Conference - Great Rumbler - 9th August 2003

Quote:Satoru Iawata, the president of Nintendo, gave some more details about what's going on at Nintendo Co. Ltd saying that the company will go after more collaborations like it has been doing this year and last. Specifically, Donkey Kong Country for GCN has been named as another Namco/Nintendo joint project. He said that their goal related to this issue is to make new high quality titles that can eventually become franchises. According to some web reports, Iwata will look at optical disc media for the Game Boy Advance successor. They are worried about the size and weight (which apparently isn't a problem for Sony's handheld).

N-Philes

Nintendo's Press Conference - A Black Falcon - 9th August 2003

I'd think battery life would be a major consideration too...

Nintendo's Press Conference - Dark Jaguar - 9th August 2003

Still, the major thing is keeping it at the low price. I still think the PSP will fail just because it's far too expensive.

As for battery life, yes, that's why they didn't do it before anyway. There's also the fact that carts are far more durable than optical disks, which is important for on the go gaming. If they manage to shrink it all down, the main concern then is that it'll be a hot burning cinder that'll overheat all the time. Lots to think about to compete with the PSP while still maintaining all the advantages of the Gameboy. However, since the PSP looses so much being what it is, it might not be bought. Now to be honest, I'd love a succesful competitor for Nintendo in the portable domain, but this thing just seems too expensive and unweildy to be a decent portable. Perhaps something a little more standard should be attempted. Perhaps something that still uses carts for instance, until a superior media can be found that works well on the go. As far as innovation to the device, perhaps a flash memory card could be built in (and removable, and thus exchangeble and replacable) thus adding all the nice things that the XBox, PS2HD, and the old 64DD, add to gaming.

Nintendo's Press Conference - Great Rumbler - 9th August 2003

Don't forget about this part of the quote: Donkey Kong Country for GCN has been named as another Namco/Nintendo joint project.

Nintendo's Press Conference - OB1 - 9th August 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I have no idea why in B-T they changed the control scheme so much from DK64, because most of the controls are pretty much the same things but on different buttons... B instead of Z for teleport, different firing method (both are okay, and don't really change game pacing... they're just different...), etc. It'd have been easier if they left most of the controls the same... I see no reason to have changed most of them.

Totally different kinds of levels? Uhh.. .are you REALLY playing the same games as me? Because in my eyes the only difference that really matters is the banannas in DK64 -- the level designs themselves are VERY similar.

As for the gameplay, I still don't understand how you think they are different.

After playing each one of these games to death (death, I say!) I can very safely say that the levels in Banjo are far more clever and well-designed than the ones in DK64. DK64 doesn't even try to be new and original. It basically just copies Banjo's themes but does it worse.

The reason why you see no reason for the different control scheme is the same reason why you prefer DK64 over the Banjo games; you simply can't tell the difference between average platforming fare and near-perfection.

The gameplay is different because each game places different emphases on certain basic 3D paltformer aspects. In Banjo there is plenty of collecting just like most 3D platformers, but the emphasis is placed more on doing really cool, fun platforming in order to get the things that you need to collect, while DK is just about the collecting. There are very few real platforming bits in the game and the tasks are very menial. Most people that lived through the birth and growth of the 3D platforming genre agree with me. Back during the N64 days we would have to live on maybe two or three big releases per year, and we got very well aquanted with each game. The platforming genre was one of the biggest on the N64, so it is one that a lot of us are very particular about. Either we completely got sick of the genre or got really picky about it, only accepting the best. I'm the latter.

Quote:i can't speak for B-T but B-k feels very much like mario 64 and is a very good game. DK feels like crap.

Indeed.

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Still, the major thing is keeping it at the low price. I still think the PSP will fail just because it's far too expensive.

As for battery life, yes, that's why they didn't do it before anyway. There's also the fact that carts are far more durable than optical disks, which is important for on the go gaming. If they manage to shrink it all down, the main concern then is that it'll be a hot burning cinder that'll overheat all the time. Lots to think about to compete with the PSP while still maintaining all the advantages of the Gameboy. However, since the PSP looses so much being what it is, it might not be bought. Now to be honest, I'd love a succesful competitor for Nintendo in the portable domain, but this thing just seems too expensive and unweildy to be a decent portable. Perhaps something a little more standard should be attempted. Perhaps something that still uses carts for instance, until a superior media can be found that works well on the go. As far as innovation to the device, perhaps a flash memory card could be built in (and removable, and thus exchangeble and replacable) thus adding all the nice things that the XBox, PS2HD, and the old 64DD, add to gaming.

I seriously doubt that Sony is going to screw this up. They are the king of portable electronic devices, so they know what they're doing. The discs that Sony is using for the PSP aren't naked CDs, they're more like mini-discs. The last time we underestimated Sony they took over the entire industry and I am afraid that if Nintendo doesn't come out with a new handheld that's close to the power of the PSP (and doesn't just rely on ports), Sony is going to take over yet another arena that Nintendo ruled.

[Image: psp001.jpg]

[Image: psp002.jpg]

Quote:After playing each one of these games to death (death, I say!) I can very safely say that the levels in Banjo are far more clever and well-designed than the ones in DK64. DK64 doesn't even try to be new and original. It basically just copies Banjo's themes but does it worse.

I hadn't played B-K first, so from my perspective I'd say that DK64 took similar ideas and improved on them. :)

Quote:The reason why you see no reason for the different control scheme is the same reason why you prefer DK64 over the Banjo games; you simply can't tell the difference between average platforming fare and near-perfection.

Why can you not understand that your opinion of game quality isn't the law? It'd be SO nice if you'd understand that... but given your history I very much doubt it'll ever happen.

I accept that you find BK better. I disagree, but its not an absurd statement. Yet you... you seem to think that whenever someone disagrees with you on something like this they are stupid and so obviously wrong and you must tell them again and again how because they don't think the same way you do they are stupid, and many times without really backing up your statements with facts or in depth analyses of the games... that's sure the case here. About all I still see in your posts is "well they are better!" 'well they are better' doesn't cut it for an explanation, which is why I gave more depth... but I can't say much in reply when you don't say much...

You did the same thing in the discussion of Oni. "its stupid". Great. Helpful for discussion there. "the combat system is so simple". I still don't get that one, when you consider that it is in a genre where anything more than two or three attacks is abnormal...

Quote:The gameplay is different because each game places different emphases on certain basic 3D paltformer aspects. In Banjo there is plenty of collecting just like most 3D platformers, but the emphasis is placed more on doing really cool, fun platforming in order to get the things that you need to collect, while DK is just about the collecting. There are very few real platforming bits in the game and the tasks are very menial. Most people that lived through the birth and growth of the 3D platforming genre agree with me. Back during the N64 days we would have to live on maybe two or three big releases per year, and we got very well aquanted with each game. The platforming genre was one of the biggest on the N64, so it is one that a lot of us are very particular about. Either we completely got sick of the genre or got really picky about it, only accepting the best. I'm the latter.

B-T feels like DK64, but with one character. It doesn't feel like I do any more or less platforming, because you don't. DK64 had just as much platforming as B-T, its just split up some by how you have to do varying tasks as each of the five Kongs instead of doing most stuff as standard Banjo-Kazooie and just limited tasks as the other playable characters.

That is a gameplay difference that does differentiate them, for sure. But nowhere NEAR as dramatically as you make it sound.

And DK64 just doesn't have so much less platforming. That is simply untrue.

As for 3d platformers... I got kind of sick of them after getting three of them in around a year (Mario 64, DK64, Rocket). Oh, they were fun... but it got old, somewhat. So similar, and the idea of 'a small number of open worlds where you collect items' is okay but just not as good as more focused quest platformers, IMO.., That is why I loved Rayman 2 so much -- it was different! Rayman 2 is, IMO, the second best 3d platformer after Mario 64...

Now I'm having fun with B-T, probably, because its been quite a while since I played a 3d platformer... :)

Look. I didn't think DK64 was one of the best games on the N64. It did get somewhat dull at parts, and there were several levels I didn't like very much. They weren't bad, but I just wasn't that interested by them... but the game WAS fun enough to slowly make progress. Somewhat repetetive? Yeah. Do you spend a lot of time collecting? Well, sure, but you do that in every single game in the genre... DK64 was just different in that it has five characters so you need to go back over places more than usual. I didn't mind that, you clearly did. Difference of opinion, oh well...

As for Banjo-Kazooie, I really should buy that game... eventually...

Oh, and the PSP WILL have to deal with the major issues that its format brings up: battery life (it CAN'T be very good!), fragility (a disc-based media... yes, more fragile and easier to break...), maybe skipping (games, I bet, are harder to deal with that problem with than music is), and most importantly PRICE...

Quote:I hadn't played B-K first, so from my perspective I'd say that DK64 took similar ideas and improved on them.

You'd think that DK would improve upon BK, but it did just the opposite. BK is just so much more refined and polished than DK that it's quite difficult to believe that BK came out first.

Quote:Why can you not understand that your opinion of game quality isn't the law? It'd be SO nice if you'd understand that... but given your history I very much doubt it'll ever happen.

I accept that you find BK better. I disagree, but its not an absurd statement. Yet you... you seem to think that whenever someone disagrees with you on something like this they are stupid and so obviously wrong and you must tell them again and again how because they don't think the same way you do they are stupid, and many times without really backing up your statements with facts or in depth analyses of the games... that's sure the case here. About all I still see in your posts is "well they are better!" 'well they are better' doesn't cut it for an explanation, which is why I gave more depth... but I can't say much in reply when you don't say much...

You did the same thing in the discussion of Oni. "its stupid". Great. Helpful for discussion there. "the combat system is so simple". I still don't get that one, when you consider that it is in a genre where anything more than two or three attacks is abnormal...

Do I always have to point that everything that I say (in these kinds of arguments) is "IMO"? I thought it was a given, sheesh. I gave very good explanations as to why myself and others prefer BK over DK64, but you do not want to listen to it. There's no point in me trying to convince you of this.

Quote:B-T feels like DK64, but with one character. It doesn't feel like I do any more or less platforming, because you don't. DK64 had just as much platforming as B-T, its just split up some by how you have to do varying tasks as each of the five Kongs instead of doing most stuff as standard Banjo-Kazooie and just limited tasks as the other playable characters.

That is a gameplay difference that does differentiate them, for sure. But nowhere NEAR as dramatically as you make it sound.

And DK64 just doesn't have so much less platforming. That is simply untrue.

Bubba, you have no idea what you're talking about. I still play all of the N64 platformers on a fairly regular basis, and there is a lot more platforming in the Banjo games than there is in DK64. That is an objective fact.

Quote:As for 3d platformers... I got kind of sick of them after getting three of them in around a year (Mario 64, DK64, Rocket). Oh, they were fun... but it got old, somewhat. So similar, and the idea of 'a small number of open worlds where you collect items' is okay but just not as good as more focused quest platformers, IMO.., That is why I loved Rayman 2 so much -- it was different! Rayman 2 is, IMO, the second best 3d platformer after Mario 64...

Now I'm having fun with B-T, probably, because its been quite a while since I played a 3d platformer...

Look. I didn't think DK64 was one of the best games on the N64. It did get somewhat dull at parts, and there were several levels I didn't like very much. They weren't bad, but I just wasn't that interested by them... but the game WAS fun enough to slowly make progress. Somewhat repetetive? Yeah. Do you spend a lot of time collecting? Well, sure, but you do that in every single game in the genre... DK64 was just different in that it has five characters so you need to go back over places more than usual. I didn't mind that, you clearly did. Difference of opinion, oh well...

And mine is a more experienced and wise opinion. :p :shakeit:

Quote:Oh, and the PSP WILL have to deal with the major issues that its format brings up: battery life (it CAN'T be very good!), fragility (a disc-based media... yes, more fragile and easier to break...), maybe skipping (games, I bet, are harder to deal with that problem with than music is), and most importantly PRICE...

Everything that I've read about the UMDs suggest that they will be even more durable than mini-discs, and those are already very durable. Skipping is not an issue, and unless you plan on frequently throwing the discs up against a wall there shouldn't be any problems with it breaking. And battery life? Again that it something that I'm sure Sony will figure out. They're not new at this, people. As for the price of the system, Sony knows that it won't sell if it's too expensive. I predict that it'll be no more than $200.

Quote:You'd think that DK would improve upon BK, but it did just the opposite. BK is just so much more refined and polished than DK that it's quite difficult to believe that BK came out first.

BK vs DK64 is clearly a matter of opinion where which one you play first matters a lot. This won't go anywhere. :)

Quote:Do I always have to point that everything that I say (in these kinds of arguments) is "IMO"? I thought it was a given, sheesh. I gave very good explanations as to why myself and others prefer BK over DK64, but you do not want to listen to it. There's no point in me trying to convince you of this.

You say this sometimes, but then in the arguements you get quite ... insistent... that you are the only possible correct person, it sure seems.

Oh, and I just don't see these great reasons. I see some, that might make you like it more, but to the degree you seem to feel about it? No.

Quote:Bubba, you have no idea what you're talking about. I still play all of the N64 platformers on a fairly regular basis, and there is a lot more platforming in the Banjo games than there is in DK64. That is an objective fact.

I played DK64 and B-T two days ago. I've played five hours of B-T this last week. So I play them regularly too. And I see plenty of platforming in both games... how about you say what you mean by 'platforming'. Do you mean jumping puzzles? I'm not sure... but thats what i think of when you say 'platforming'. And both games have plenty of that... I don't see how BT has so much more. Both DK64 and BT have lots of backtracking to get items you missed. DK64 might have a little more, but its NOT any dramatic thing... you have all kinds of items to get in BT.

Now BK, that did, I believe, have less collecting... but I haven't been talking about that game because I haven't played it that much...

Quote:And mine is a more experienced and wise opinion.

Only in your own mind. :)

Oh, and no response to the first paragraph of that quote I had there? Huh... but you usually don't really respond in any length to the parts that I put the most work into.

Oh, and have you played Rocket? It was pretty good, even if it did get old before the end... 3d platformers based on item-collecting tend to do that... but I did beat the game (though without anywhere near all the tickets).

Also... I got DK64 at Christmas '99. Is that so different from you that you need to constantly say that I didn't have a N64 in 1996 or something? Sure its a bit different for me (I never bought a N64 game for more than $50, for example, and got the system for $100 with two controllers) but not THAT dramatic.

And its not like I wasn't informed, given that I read magazines and the internet...

I just haven't played much of B-K. Just a store demo once and several hours with the rom, which is why I won't compare the graphics -- roms don't look the same as the real thing, I know.

Its a pretty good game but I don't see how its so much better than DK64... maybe because to me its not...

Oh, and I really think its SO STUPID that you must keep saying I have low standards for games. It is just FALSE... I just have DIFFERENT ONES FROM YOU. That is DIFFERENT, not "I LIKE BAD GAMES"...

Quote:Everything that I've read about the UMDs suggest that they will be even more durable than mini-discs, and those are already very durable. Skipping is not an issue, and unless you plan on frequently throwing the discs up against a wall there shouldn't be any problems with it breaking. And battery life? Again that it something that I'm sure Sony will figure out. They're not new at this, people. As for the price of the system, Sony knows that it won't sell if it's too expensive. I predict that it'll be no more than $200.

I don't know about battery life, I don't see there being much they can do to bring it above Nomad or maybe Game Gear levels... battery technology hasn't improved much. :)

Nintendo's Press Conference - OB1 - 10th August 2003

Quote:You say this sometimes, but then in the arguements you get quite ... insistent... that you are the only possible correct person, it sure seems.

Oh, and I just don't see these great reasons. I see some, that might make you like it more, but to the degree you seem to feel about it? No.

I explained very clearly how much better the controls, level design, graphics, and platforming elements in Banjo are than in DK64. What more do you want??

Quote:I played DK64 and B-T two days ago. I've played five hours of B-T this last week. So I play them regularly too. And I see plenty of platforming in both games... how about you say what you mean by 'platforming'. Do you mean jumping puzzles? I'm not sure... but thats what i think of when you say 'platforming'. And both games have plenty of that... I don't see how BT has so much more. Both DK64 and BT have lots of backtracking to get items you missed. DK64 might have a little more, but its NOT any dramatic thing... you have all kinds of items to get in BT.

Now BK, that did, I believe, have less collecting... but I haven't been talking about that game because I haven't played it that much...

Yes I mean "jumping puzzles". None of the characters in DK lend themselves to challenging jumping puzzles (the way they control and the way they jump make it very difficult to have good jumping puzzles), and I never once had difficulties with a jumping puzzle in that game. The Banjo games (especially BK) are the complete opposite, with many many jumping puzzles, and plenty that are actually tough!

Quote:Only in your own mind.

Oh, and no response to the first paragraph of that quote I had there? Huh... but you usually don't really respond in any length to the parts that I put the most work into.

What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:Also... I got DK64 at Christmas '99. Is that so different from you that you need to constantly say that I didn't have a N64 in 1996 or something? Sure its a bit different for me (I never bought a N64 game for more than $50, for example, and got the system for $100 with two controllers) but not THAT dramatic.

And its not like I wasn't informed, given that I read magazines and the internet...

I just haven't played much of B-K. Just a store demo once and several hours with the rom, which is why I won't compare the graphics -- roms don't look the same as the real thing, I know.

Its a pretty good game but I don't see how its so much better than DK64... maybe because to me its not...

Wow, you read magazines???!! Rolleyes

The reason why I bring up these dates is because you will never have enough time to devote yourself entirely to these N64 games like us "old-timers". We only got a couple of good games a year, and we (or at least I) spent up to a year on each game, beating it several times and memorizing every single inch of the game. I did that with all of the N64 platformers, so I'm a good judge of which platformer is the best.

Quote:Oh, and I really think its SO STUPID that you must keep saying I have low standards for games. It is just FALSE... I just have DIFFERENT ONES FROM YOU. That is DIFFERENT, not "I LIKE BAD GAMES"...

WHATEVER helps you SLEEP at NIGHT, ABF.

Quote:I don't know about battery life, I don't see there being much they can do to bring it above Nomad or maybe Game Gear levels... battery technology hasn't improved much.

Battery technology hasn't improved much from the 90's?? Do you seriously think that??? Hahaha, oh my! Nintendo is a very cheap company, and they always find the cheapest way to make their hardware. Nintendo got a cheap, rechargable battery for the GBA SP which lasts over 15 hours, so just imagine how much battery life Sony could get out of something better, more expensive. This isn't Sega we're talking about. This is Sony, the inventer of a million handheld devices. They're not going to fuck this up, believe me. They didn't get ahead of the console industry by being stupid.

Nintendo's Press Conference - Great Rumbler - 10th August 2003

Quote:so just imagine how much battery life Sony could get out of something better, more expensive

Key word being "expensive". Even if they do use a better rechargeable battery all the things they have going [dual processors, DVD drive, larger screen] WILL take their toll on battery life, how much of a toll we'll just have to wait and see.

Nintendo says that they don't really see the PSP as direct competion, but there's no way that Nintendo is going to set back and watch Sony boot them out of their last stronghold. They're going to put out a handheld that's close to the specs of the PSP, but they might not use a disc-based medium, although they should.

Nintendo's Press Conference - A Black Falcon - 10th August 2003

Quote:Battery technology hasn't improved much from the 90's?? Do you seriously think that??? Hahaha, oh my! Nintendo is a very cheap company, and they always find the cheapest way to make their hardware. Nintendo got a cheap, rechargable battery for the GBA SP which lasts over 15 hours, so just imagine how much battery life Sony could get out of something better, more expensive. This isn't Sega we're talking about. This is Sony, the inventer of a million handheld devices. They're not going to fuck this up, believe me. They didn't get ahead of the console industry by being stupid.

That is very, very close to the amount of time alkaline batteries last, you know... so no, I don't see any major changes there.

Well, unless the PSP makes you use Lithium batteries or something...

Quote:I explained very clearly how much better the controls, level design, graphics, and platforming elements in Banjo are than in DK64. What more do you want??

Just to say that it isn't absurd for someone to feel the opposite way, like I have about your positions (and mean it)... but I doubt THAT would happen.

Oh, and maybe explain some of it a bit better. Controls... do you mean the control scheme? Different, neither one is better than the other. The way the characters move? Speed is about the same, but BK has more moves than each individual character in DK64, while DK64 has more all together. Different styles there, sure. But I fail to see why splitting it up among multiple characters is so horrible...

As for the graphics you just don't make sense. I see no way BK looks better than DK64.

Quote:Yes I mean "jumping puzzles". None of the characters in DK lend themselves to challenging jumping puzzles (the way they control and the way they jump make it very difficult to have good jumping puzzles), and I never once had difficulties with a jumping puzzle in that game. The Banjo games (especially BK) are the complete opposite, with many many jumping puzzles, and plenty that are actually tough!

Uhh... "the way they jump"? What in the WORLD do you mean there, because I don't see how they and BK have any difference other the fact that BK has a few more moves in its character than each indidual character in DK64 -- which doesn't effect jumping that dramatically... I just do not understand this arguement of yours.

Quote:What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:As for 3d platformers... I got kind of sick of them after getting three of them in around a year (Mario 64, DK64, Rocket). Oh, they were fun... but it got old, somewhat. So similar, and the idea of 'a small number of open worlds where you collect items' is okay but just not as good as more focused quest platformers, IMO.., That is why I loved Rayman 2 so much -- it was different! Rayman 2 is, IMO, the second best 3d platformer after Mario 64...

Quote:Wow, you read magazines???!!

The reason why I bring up these dates is because you will never have enough time to devote yourself entirely to these N64 games like us "old-timers". We only got a couple of good games a year, and we (or at least I) spent up to a year on each game, beating it several times and memorizing every single inch of the game. I did that with all of the N64 platformers, so I'm a good judge of which platformer is the best.

Wow, I'm SO sorry for instead of boring myself to tears playing the same games over and over I went and played PC games after finishing or giving up on whatever my latest N64 game was... because, you see, that's what I've always done with my consoles. When I get a new game I play it a lot for a while, but then I finish it or get tired of it and stop playing it and go back to my PC.

So even if I had had a N64 in 1996, I somehow doubt that I'd have played any games twice. I'd have gone to play Warcraft. :)

Because to me its just not that fun to play games over and over when there are better alternatives. Or unless the game is short, fun, and designed for repeat play, like sidescrolling action games or good scrolling shooters...

Nintendo's Press Conference - OB1 - 10th August 2003

Quote:Key word being "expensive". Even if they do use a better rechargeable battery all the things they have going [dual processors, DVD drive, larger screen] WILL take their toll on battery life, how much of a toll we'll just have to wait and see.

Key words being "Nintendo is cheap", actually. Nintendo rarely ever loses money per each piece of hardware that they sell because they make their consoles cheaper than Sony and MS do. Both Sony and MS lose money for each console that they sell (or at least Sony did in the first two years of the PS2's life). Sony is willing to lose more money than Nintendo is.

Quote:Nintendo says that they don't really see the PSP as direct competion, but there's no way that Nintendo is going to set back and watch Sony boot them out of their last stronghold. They're going to put out a handheld that's close to the specs of the PSP, but they might not use a disc-based medium, although they should.

Before the Gamecube launch Nintendo also said that they were not going to be directly competiting with the X-Box and PS2. Look how that turned out.

I see another N64 vs. PSX situation happening all over again. Nintendo has a stronghold over a particular market, Sony introduces a new system, everyone underestimates them, but all of the third-parties flock to Sony's system because Sony offers much lower licensing and production fees than Nintendo does. Unless Nintendo offers even lower licensing fees and has a new handheld that's just about as powerful as the PSP and comes out no later than a few months after the PSP, I'm afraid to say that Sony will probably dominate the handheld gaming market.

Quote:That is very, very close to the amount of time alkaline batteries last, you know... so no, I don't see any major changes there.

Well, unless the PSP makes you use Lithium batteries or something...

Sony makes some of the best, most efficient rechargable batteries in the world, so what do you think they'll use? And having a rechargable lithium battery pack isn't a huge improvement over having to spend tons of money on alkaline batteries each year? :erm2:

Quote:Just to say that it isn't absurd for someone to feel the opposite way, like I have about your positions (and mean it)... but I doubt THAT would happen.

Oh, and maybe explain some of it a bit better. Controls... do you mean the control scheme? Different, neither one is better than the other. The way the characters move? Speed is about the same, but BK has more moves than each individual character in DK64, while DK64 has more all together. Different styles there, sure. But I fail to see why splitting it up among multiple characters is so horrible...

As for the graphics you just don't make sense. I see no way BK looks better than DK64.

I provided screenshots that showed the drastic difference in graphics quality between the two games, I explained very clearly how the games differ in control and gameplay, and I've repeated myself at least a dozen times now. I will not repeat myself again. If you have that bad of a memory, read the last few pages of this argument. This is ridiculous.

Quote:Uhh... "the way they jump"? What in the WORLD do you mean there, because I don't see how they and BK have any difference other the fact that BK has a few more moves in its character than each indidual character in DK64 -- which doesn't effect jumping that dramatically... I just do not understand this arguement of yours.

The jumping in DK64 is very limited. None of the characters can jump very high, and because of that there are no challenging jumping puzzles. There are many more jumping puzzles in the Banjo games, and it's one thing that I sorely missed while playing through DK64.

Quote:Wow, I'm SO sorry for instead of boring myself to tears playing the same games over and over I went and played PC games after finishing or giving up on whatever my latest N64 game was... because, you see, that's what I've always done with my consoles. When I get a new game I play it a lot for a while, but then I finish it or get tired of it and stop playing it and go back to my PC.

So even if I had had a N64 in 1996, I somehow doubt that I'd have played any games twice. I'd have gone to play Warcraft.

Because to me its just not that fun to play games over and over when there are better alternatives. Or unless the game is short, fun, and designed for repeat play, like sidescrolling action games or good scrolling shooters...

Do you think I had a choice?? The only new system I had from 1996-2000 was an N64. The only games I could play were N64 ones, so I sucked the life out of them. I got very well acquainted with each major N64 release, so I have much more experience with them than you do, which is why I can tell the difference between the likes of Dk64 and BK and you cannot.