Tendo City
The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) (/showthread.php?tid=908)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 1st August 2003

Quote:Would you SHUT UP? Look OB1, it's just a frickin' list. Do you have to be OFFENDED by it and mad at it? Just shut up and make some suggestions on what you would like to add.

Sheesh, it's very simple, it's ABF's list of good PC games that others can add to if it's fine with ABF. It's not democratic. It's not "fair", but who cares? It's just fun! Don't bother applying "logic" to it, okay?

Anyway, Darunia, good to know that. And another thing, whatever .

Oh wow, look at this! Ms. I-have-to-joke-and-run-from-arguments-because-I-can't-stand-conflict got angry! OooOOooh!! Unless you plan on defending your opinion for once I suggest you shut the fuck up and leave the rest of us to argue about trivial things at this Nintendo board!

Good grief, I am so sick and tired of these stupid idiots coming here and telling us to stop arguing over trivial things. That's what the board is for! We come here to talk about video games, one of the most trivial things in the world! If people stopped this trivial arguing then there'd be no Tendo City. It's always been like this, just that most recently it's been only me and ABF that are arguing, which I admit has gotten really old since it's always just him and me. However I still like to talk about video games so I still come here, and since none of you like to have real discussions on video games I am stuck talking about them mainly with ABF, which usually turns into an argument since our opinions are so different.

I am not mad about this crap, not any more than I can about something like video games. Now what does get me mad is people like you telling us to stop arguing over video games. Leave this place if you can't stand all of the "yelling". That, or actually talk about video games for once!! The most popular threads at this board are non-video game related, and you're certainly not helping matters.

And ABF, we've talked about this in the past so I'm very surprised that you're agreeing with DJ.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 1st August 2003

Quote:And ABF, we've talked about this in the past so I'm very surprised that you're agreeing with DJ.

Read my whole post.

I don't really agree with DJ.

DJ... yes I made the post, but its supposed to be a list for all of TC.

OB1.. yes, it is unfair that I put games in that noone else would and others couldn't. So now I said I'll add anything anyone suggests, then we'll pare it down later.

Quote:Oh wow, look at this! Ms. I-have-to-joke-and-run-from-arguments-because-I-can't-stand-conflict got angry! OooOOooh!! Unless you plan on defending your opinion for once I suggest you shut the fuck up and leave the rest of us to argue about trivial things at this Nintendo board!

(and the rest)

Absolutely. DJ... your 'i have to joke and run from arguements' REALLY gets tiring... along with your 'i will do anything to avoid actually arguing about anything, except the fact that i won't argue about anything'.

How about just lightening up and realizing that there is nothing wrong with discussing trivial matters on a forum... its really bizarre how whenever anyone suggests that idea you pretty much recoil in fear or dislike or something...

Oh yeah, and DJ... would you REALLY like it here if there was a quarter, at best, as many posts as we get? Because that'd be a good estimate of the post count here without me and OB1... it wouldn't be pretty.

Oh yeah, and more discussion on "video games" would be nice. Every time we try to talk about "video games" no one actually wants to talk.. .except ob1. Who, of course, starts arguing with whoever is left. :) It would be nice to see more gaming discussions... but clearly no one cares about such stupid things here... :(

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Great Rumbler - 1st August 2003

Hmm...this thread is going nowhere fast. I must think of someway to get things moving again, but what could I...wait! I've got it! BACKGAMMON!! IT'S THE PERFECT WAY TO BREATH PRODUCTIVE LIFE BACK INTO THIS THREAD!!!

Does anyone know how to play backgammon?

Hey, I just thought of another game. I don't know if anyone else likes it, but I used to play it a lot.

Interplay
-Whiplash

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Dark Jaguar - 1st August 2003

I try to stand up for you and this is what I get... Yeah, thanks a lot. I guess I learned not to do that again.

Yeesh, you two seem so convinced you are the sole reasons this board is alive. Oh yeah, you really bring the board together with your 30million threads with JUST you two arguing, and whenever someone tries to get you two to calm down you have to attack them and say some idiotic drivel about how conflict keeps things interesting like some cliche super villian.

There are plenty of other things about this board that make it great. Yeesh, before this idiotic fight occured, I was having a GREAT time just agreeing with ABF and reminiscing about past stuff we both loved, and rather than start an argument over some games, we both saw eye to eye on each of our opinions and came to an understanding! It was FUN, it's what I love to DO here, it's the reason I come here, but no, you two always have to get in an argument and RUIN a good time! A perfectly good thread, usually started by someone else, is running smoothly. We are doing things like coming to an understanding about differing opinions as opposed to arguing which is better, and sharing various unique ideas on cool features in games, or maybe just enjoying some bit of randomness, but then one of you says something seemingly harmless that the other has to argue about, and yes, the thread does get like 300 posts after that, ALMOST ALL FROM YOU, the rest from people trying to get you two to see where your two arguments come together so you two can calm down. GR does it, Weltall OCCASIONALLY tries it, and a few other people even go in there, and sometimes, I will attempt to calm things down. However, just like in real life, those who attempt to bring a civil understanding to a situation or point out how both are being illogical, they both suddenly side with each other to take on the new person who's saying they are being idiots.

Yes, this is just some game site, and it's unimportant, but why can't we have NICE unimportant discussions? Debates are all well and good, but you two seem more interested in insulting each other's characters than their actual points. I stopped debating with you two for one reason, you two can't debate properly to save your life. I debate all the time on other message boards for instance, and in the real world, with people who can be civil about it. I love it, because we do use logic, and we respect the other person's opinion.

In any case, I request you two to pardon me for venting like this. However, I've become VERY tired of this bickering. If you have paid any attention at all, though I doubt you did little more than blow me off completely, I request that you please allow people to have their say, most importantly each other mind you, and not say "that's just plain wrong" so often. Perhaps a single response stating you disagree would be enough. If the other person says "well I still think that", DO NOT RESPOND AGAIN IN AN ATTEMPT TO KEEP CONVINCING THEM.

This whole thing has been draining... I really wish this thread, a thread that at first was just such a fun time, didn't have to become another battlefield. I'll say it one last time. TC was NOT founded on arguing all the time, and that is not what makes this place a great place to visit!

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Dark Jaguar - 1st August 2003

I may regret the above post, in fact I'm pretty much sure of it, but I'll just say that backgammon would in fact get this thread back on track and out of the slump of an idiotic ABF/OB1 argument!

Hmm, actually GR, maybe from now on, if this happens, we can simply create a new thread to continue where the last semblence of peace left off (since of course continuing the original subject is out of the question in TC :D) and leave them to their squabbles.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Great Rumbler - 1st August 2003

This bickering is pointless! *Force Chokes several members*

Quote:Hmm, actually GR, maybe from now on, if this happens, we can simply create a new thread to continue where the last semblence of peace left off (since of course continuing the original subject is out of the question in TC ) and leave them to their squabbles.

Let's do it! They'd be to busy arguing to notice and then while they're preoccupied we can slip rat poison into there drinks and...uh did I say that out loud? I...I, of course, have no intentions of doing anything permantly harmful to these to fine members of TC who I would dare call friends! *hides rat poison*

We could just make a thread just for OB1 and ABF were they could go and argue out whichever topic is currently in debate.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 1st August 2003

Whiplash... that game was good, but not great. Good enough, I guess... :)

And if we're doing 'games you liked' I could add many more...

How about...

Bungie
- Oni

Interplay
- MDK2
- Whiplash

Virgin Interactive
- Screamer 2

GT Interactive
- Driver

These games are pretty good. I know Oni wasn't especially popular, but I thought it was fun... sure the levels were blocky and areas repeated, but the fighting was cool and the plot relatively interesting. :)

As for Screamer 2, its a older, but fun, arcadish racer.

Quote:I try to stand up for you and this is what I get... Yeah, thanks a lot. I guess I learned not to do that again.

Nothing wrong with that post... he WAS being pretty annoying...

Sure, he was kind of right, but that doesn't mean it wasn't annoying. :)

Quote:Yeesh, you two seem so convinced you are the sole reasons this board is alive. Oh yeah, you really bring the board together with your 30million threads with JUST you two arguing, and whenever someone tries to get you two to calm down you have to attack them and say some idiotic drivel about how conflict keeps things interesting like some cliche super villian.

It doesn't happen that way. What happens is someone (usually one of us) tries to make a 'gaming' thread. Very few people post in it, and then somehow we start to argue. Now the rest of you really don't care... you wouldn't be posting there anyway, since usually not many people post much in 'gaming' threads.

Well, except to once in a while come in and tell us to stop arguing even though we both like it and its not bothering anyone else -- you don't have to go to that thread, you know...

Quote:There are plenty of other things about this board that make it great. Yeesh, before this idiotic fight occured, I was having a GREAT time just agreeing with ABF and reminiscing about past stuff we both loved, and rather than start an argument over some games, we both saw eye to eye on each of our opinions and came to an understanding! It was FUN, it's what I love to DO here, it's the reason I come here,

Then prove it by "posting" more in GAMING threads, and not stupid worthless ones like most of you usually do!

Quote:A perfectly good thread, usually started by someone else, is running smoothly. We are doing things like coming to an understanding about differing opinions as opposed to arguing which is better, and sharing various unique ideas on cool features in games, or maybe just enjoying some bit of randomness,

Read: five on-topic posts then a moronic discussion on bacon or shoes

Quote:but then one of you says something seemingly harmless that the other has to argue about, and yes, the thread does get like 300 posts after that, ALMOST ALL FROM YOU, the rest from people trying to get you two to see where your two arguments come together so you two can calm down. GR does it, Weltall OCCASIONALLY tries it, and a few other people even go in there, and sometimes, I will attempt to calm things down. However, just like in real life, those who attempt to bring a civil understanding to a situation or point out how both are being illogical, they both suddenly side with each other to take on the new person who's saying they are being idiots.

You act like we are the only two people who ever argue. Now in some threads that is the case, but not always.

If its a politics thread, its usually me and Weltall, and several others. Almost never OB1.

And in plenty of other threads other people contribute, unless its a really dumb arguement that neither of us will give up... like our current one in the Mario Golf thread. :)

Oh, I definitely have an issue with you saying we never resolve anything. That is false. Sure, usually we get nowhere... but not always.

For example, in the Mario Golf thread, I think we are pretty much agreed on the fact that Wing Commander is the meeting point between action games and space sims... it took a while to get that far, but we did. And the result? I conceed that Wing Commander does have something in common with Gradius (but not as much as OB1 thinks). :)

Sure, we're still arguing about a half dozen other things in that thread (Rush, Mario Kart, Battlezone, Beetle Adventure Racing...), but its about G A M E S.

Talking about 'GAMES' in TC is rare. Very rare.

How do I know this? BECAUSE SO OFTEN, THE ONLY ACTIVE THREAD IN TENDO CITY IS THE ONES WITH ME AND OB1 POSTING IN THEM!

But as I've said many times.

WHO CARES IF THERE IS A RESOLUTION?

Why exactly does it matter, especially on matters of opinion? If its an opinion neither of us will convince anyone of anything! We know it! Its just FUN to argue about it!

Quote:Yes, this is just some game site, and it's unimportant, but why can't we have NICE unimportant discussions? Debates are all well and good, but you two seem more interested in insulting each other's characters than their actual points. I stopped debating with you two for one reason, you two can't debate properly to save your life. I debate all the time on other message boards for instance, and in the real world, with people who can be civil about it. I love it, because we do use logic, and we respect the other person's opinion.

I think I debate okay. I could be better (like, spending the time to look up all the facts before arguing about something... but most of the time I'm just too lazy... :) ), but okay. After all, I was on the debate team for two years in high school... :)

As for you, we have no clue how well you debate. You very strongly refuse to debate whenever you see one coming on, and immediately leave the thread. In most cases.

Quote:In any case, I request you two to pardon me for venting like this. However, I've become VERY tired of this bickering. If you have paid any attention at all, though I doubt you did little more than blow me off completely, I request that you please allow people to have their say, most importantly each other mind you, and not say "that's just plain wrong" so often. Perhaps a single response stating you disagree would be enough. If the other person says "well I still think that", DO NOT RESPOND AGAIN IN AN ATTEMPT TO KEEP CONVINCING THEM.

What we want is more people to have their say! We want more people talking about games, so we don't have to argue all the time just to have enough here worth talking about to not be bored stiff!

We aren't getting that, so here we are.

Oh, I do agree about one other thing... this probably should be in another thread, so as not to mess up this perfectly good one.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 1st August 2003

ABF and I do post more than anyone else at this board, and if we both left then it would probably dry up pretty quickly. Well at least the Nintendo forum would.

Whenever I make a thread about video games (most of the threads in the Nintendo forum were started by me) we usually get maybe one or two little comments from a few posters and the only person who really writes long posts relating to the topic is ABF (with a few exceptions, of course) and since our opinions differ on so many things (although likewise agree on many things such as Star Wars and 'Trek) we usually get into a debate on something. I'd love to have a regular, non-argumentative discussion on video games with people here, but no one besides ABF wants to talk about them. I have to get on trillian and chat with TC'ers (old posters and current posters) in order to get a real video game discussion going. Now that doesn't mean that I don't like the off-topic and nonsensical posts here (as I make a bunch myself), but it would be great if more of you people would actually discuss video games some more! If you want to see less arguments between me and ABF, add something relevant to the gaming threads!

And for the record DJ, I would really love to see these other message boards where you participate in debates because you've never shown any signs of solid debating skills. All you ever do is brake out of character for a moment and use LOTS of CAPITALIZED letters and then pretend that you were joking. Now that is ten times more annoying than anything me and ABF do.

He either claims he was joking or goes completely off topic with some joke that really isn't appropriate for the thread or situation and refuses to return to the topic. And yes, it gets pretty annoying...

Now how about we just talk about the best games list... any comments on my latest additions? :)

Yeah where's Monkey Island 2?

Its the one MI game I don't own... :(

And Lucasarts only sells it as a $20 package with MI1 and 3 also.

That's better than Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, though... it is only sold in a package with Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max: Freelance Police for $30... and yes all three are only available together, for $30. I want Sam and Max and Indy (since I lost my copy of the game... WHICH REALLY STINKS...), but paying $10 for a game I own to get them? I don't think so... not now, anyway.

But at least they aren't discontinued like The Dig is.

Anyway... I'll add Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a pretty fun (and terribly underrated) action game. Have you played the PC demo yet? It's certainly better than any of the Tomb Raider games.

No. I've had the demo on my PC for weeks now, actually... maybe over a month... but never actually got around to playing it. :)

Well play it! And make sure you use your dual analogue controller.

Tomorrow. Bedtime now.

Oh... how about...

Ubi Soft
- Speed Busters: American Highways

It was ported to Dreamcast, BTW, under the name Devil Busters. Its the same game except they removed the 'speed' part -- in SB you race around the tracks and at points in the tracks your speed is recorded... for records or speedboost not sure, its been a LONG time since I played that game... but the Dreamcast one just has racing. The tracks are identical though.. I've played both versions. :)

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 2nd August 2003

Don't you mean Speed Devils? The online DC version was great, even though the actual racing parts weren't that amazing. It was just a ton of fun to earn money and customize your car.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Great Rumbler - 2nd August 2003

I think that's what he's talking about, because I've never heard of Devil Busters before, and anyway that name sounds REALLY REALLY stupid for a game, epecially a racing games, am I making a run on sentence?

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 2nd August 2003

Yup, Speed Devils. You are correct... there was the initial release then a later online version. I've only played the original one.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 2nd August 2003

The original one wasn't that great but the online version was. Very addictive, and it showed how onling racers should work.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - Great Rumbler - 2nd August 2003

I just thought of two more games to add to the list, both of which are classic platformers developed by Delphine Software.

U.S Gold
-Flashback

Interplay
-Out of This World

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 2nd August 2003

And the race continues... when we finish this list, will we have more Interplay or Lucasarts games on it? The only problem with Lucasarts winning is that they have a smaller library of games to draw from... :)

Oh, and those were PC games too? I remember the console versions...

I don't know which they came out on first, but I have both of them on the PC.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 6th August 2003

Oh OB1... I happen to own four issues of EGM. One from early 1993, two from the second half of 1995, and January 1996. :)

In one of those they review Rayman, for PSX and Jaguar. It got 9.0 7.5 9.0 9.0 (Gold) for PSX and 8.5 7.5 8.0 8.0 (Gold) for Jaguar.

Hardly "another average mediocre platformer", as they say. Perhaps you didn't play it for long?

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 6th August 2003

Their reviewers have always been crazy.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 6th August 2003

No, you are just crazy. Its easily one of the better sidescrollers out there! A great platformer with great graphics, good sound, great characters, and very challenging platforming gameplay... how does it get better than that?

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 6th August 2003

Would you like me to take out the list? I've played so many great patformers that Rayman really isn't worth mentioning.

You just have strange standards. :)

Oh... Indy and the Emperor's Tomb: decent Tomb Raider-clone. Somewhat fun but not all that much... I got pretty bored, honestly, while playing it. I was happy to die (after beating the demo level in the jungle temple I died in the China level) and get an excuse to quit.

If I want a good action beatemup I'll play Oni. :)

As for good Tomb Raider clone... sorry, there are no good Tomb Raider-style games.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 7th August 2003

Gah, you actually like Oni??!! What the hell is the matter with you, ABF??! You have worse taste in games than Darunia!

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 7th August 2003

Yes, I loved Oni. It was great fun running around beating people up... I wouldn't know about the PS2 version of course, but it controls quite well with mouse and keyboard.

Sure, the environments are a bit repetitive and yes, lots of the furnishings are similar... but the levels are quite large and the level design is good if you ignore the fact that lots of the things in them are the same.

As I said before, all I wish it had (other than some way of making the gun-based combat more fun, but oh well... its not that its BAD, its that the hand-to-hand is just cooler...) is save-anywhere. Save points get irritating. But I did beat the game (on easy), so oh well...

Oh, and I thought it had a pretty good story for a action game. And I think the graphical look of the characters and the level designs themselves were good.

Or if you want a 3d weapons-based action platformer, it'd be hard to go wrong with MDK2. That game was pretty good... except for the parts with the extremely frusterating platform jumping. :)

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 7th August 2003

MDK2 was decent, but Oni was just plain terrible. Really, really bad game in every way imaginable.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 7th August 2003

"just plain terrible"? Absolutely not! It was fun!

Ew, no! Oni was a complete stinker. A stinker, I tell ya!

If you think so explain why. I think I've said several times why it is good... oh yeah, and try the PC version. Its better.

Why does it suck? That's simple. The controls are poor, the action is poor (very poor), the art style is incredible lame, and the environments are very bland.

The controls are just fine (if you use mouse&keyboard on PC; I have no experience with gamepads (as the game has no in-game control config and to change it you've got to modify a text file -- just not worth it especially when the game is PERFECT for mouse and keyboard and wouldn't be as good on a gamepad... so I honestly don't consider that a problem...)), the action is well paced, entertaining, and challenging, and the art style is nice, but admittedly the levels a re sparsely furnished. :) I still think the graphics are good, though, with the great level layouts (great big open spaces...), nice character designs (I guess that's something we completely disagree on. :) ), and good clean, if unspectacular, graphics.

Oh, and I know its irrelevant to the game, but the box is really, really cool.

PC Demo, if you haven't played it yet.
http://support.bungie.com/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/download-display.html&dl_id=16

Dude, the game is crap. Plain and simple. My friend who's going to UAT (I told you about him) has one of the guys that worked on Oni teaching a game design class, and even he admitted that the game is awful. Do you know what they used to make the levels in the game? CAD. Seriously. They got real architects to work on the levels--which is why they used CAD-- and why all of the levels are so boring. Just ugly room after ugly room. The art style is very amateurish and perfectly compliments the rest of the crappy parts of the game.

Yeah, I know that they got real architects to work on the level design... maybe that's why the level layout seems a bit more like the real world than many games? :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/reviews/archives/review_2001-08-07o.html

Solid review of the game. 72%... a bit low, but okay. And PC Gamer rates most games fairly hard.

As PCG says, the levels are boxy and starkly empty of most detail... but I just happen to LIKE that style. It makes for large areas and, IMO, looks cool... you clearly disagree, but I happen to like the simple but cool look of the game.

As for the character/art style, that's just your opinion. Mine is quite different.

So you've played the PC version and think it has bad controls too? Erm

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/27612.html

Gamefaqs PS2 reviews.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/25345.html

And PC reviews.

Look at the score ranges. 1 to 9 for PSX and 6 to 9 for PC. I think that says a lot about the quality difference between the versions... I can imagine the Oni controls being bad on a gamepad, for sure.

And I have never played the PS2 version so I will not judge that inferior one. Just the better PC version... and it was good.

And the hand-to-hand combat is just so much fun!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/oni/review.html

The hand-hand combat is really bad! And I was serious about that former Oni guy. He really does think the game sucks.

Well those reviews all agree that its a good, but flawed, game.

6.9: Gamespot PC
7.2: Gamespot PS2
7.2: PC Gamer
7.5: IGN PC
7.3: IGN PS2

Gamefaqs: between 1 and 9 (one score below 4) for PS2, between 6 and 9 for PC.

I'd say that is a very clear trend. They also agree on the game -- it is fun, it has a lot of promise, but it has some major flaws (level design (boxy and repetitive), emptyness, repeating of interiors; some problems with combat; a few control issues; the lack of save anywhere; and no multiplayer...).

None of them say that its bad. Five different reviews, five different reviewers, and a 0.6 score variation? That is quite solid.

Sure, low 7's aren't great scores (and lower than what I'd give the game), but they are far, far from "bad".

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/164/164277p1.html
http://pc.ign.com/articles/160/160815p1.html

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 8th August 2003

What can I say? Those guys make mistakes sometimes. Even the people that worked on the game hate it.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 8th August 2003

But I thought you said that just that one person who worked on it hated it, not most of them...

Oh, and when the critics agree that strongly it says something: they have a good point. See, I admit all those flaws are in the game, but to me they are less of an issue than they are to the critics... but I easily see why they dock more points off for them so I have no problem with their scores. And when five reviewers from three different major sources agree that much...

Plus the ten or so people at GameFAQs who reviewed the PC version and all gave it scores between 6 and 9.

It makes it look very strongly like this is another case of "OB1 hates it so it MUST be bad", like usual.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - OB1 - 8th August 2003

Actually I was responding to your comment that "all Tomb Raider-like games suck", which meant that your opinion is fact. And Indiana Jones isn't even a Tomb Raider-like game (not the latest one, at least). It controls nothing like it, and the combat is more similar to Tekken than it is to Tomb Raider.

That one ex-Bungie guy said that the game is "awful", but I have heard many other former Oni guys talk bad about the game.

The Best PC Games Ever (or at least a long list of good ones) - A Black Falcon - 8th August 2003

How about "its a okay game, but the frusterating controls are irritating and to me the game is just dull" about Indy? I'd call that accurate, IMO.

It really perplexes me because you actually like Oni. If you hated the entire genre then I could understand, but liking Oni? Now that's just odd.

Huh? Beat-em-ups are fun when done well... like, of course, the old Ninja Turtles games...

The latest Indy game has decent hand-to-hand combat, but its so, so simple... it lacks much of any depth or complexity, at least in the demo.

Punch, punch, strong punch, punch, etc, etc... or use gun which kills enemies fast but of course has limited ammo.

And I doubt that Indy has special moves like Oni to make the hand-to-hand fighting cool. :)

Its NOT a bad game. It just has frusterating controls (I got REALLY tired of accidentally climing up ledges because i accidentally bumped into them, or falling off cliffs because its hard to line up straight for a jump, or having to use the keyboard for inventory...), tired platform-jumping, and decent combat that just doesn't make it fun enough to make me want to finish the demo. Oni is quite different...

Uh, if you honestly think that the combat in Oni is anything but super-shallow then you must not have played very many games in that genre.

There aren't exactly that many recent games in the beat-em-up genre... and most of the older ones are extremely, extremely simple with one action button. Still fun, often, but simple.

What games exactly are these deep fighting systems that make Oni look so simple in?

Oni has a nice, fun fighting system... not super complex, sure, but fun, with several normal attacks and plenty of special moves that make it more interesting. :)

The Mark of Kri has a deep fighting system, once you get the hang of it. Oni is just so simple and boring that it's really not worth playing for very long, IMO.

But its still deeper than most of the games in the genre...