Tendo City
Famitsu sucks - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Famitsu sucks (/showthread.php?tid=870)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2003

What point are you trying to make exactly?

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 28th July 2003

That he's an idiot and will never admit when he's wrong, no matter what.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 28th July 2003

That's the pot calling the kettle black, and you know it.

And anyway, about review styles I'm most certainly not wrong. :D

Yeah okay, Darunia. You're off your rocker.

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2003

I'm still waiting for the point you were trying to make...

Quote:I'm still waiting for the point you were trying to make...

Me? I think we've covered all the issues pretty well now.

Quote:Yeah okay, Darunia. You're off your rocker.

Its okay to be a numerically oriented person too, if you remember that they are representations of opinion and won't agree with you much... :p

Quote:Me? I think we've covered all the issues pretty well now.

You didn't cover anything! We'd ask you "what's your favorite kind of bread?" and you'd answer "well mustard really isn't as good as ketchup, so you're wrong about that.".

Quote:Its okay to be a numerically oriented person too, if you remember that they are representations of opinion and won't agree with you much...

What??

Quote:You didn't cover anything! We'd ask you "what's your favorite kind of bread?" and you'd answer "well mustard really isn't as good as ketchup, so you're wrong about that.".

Which issue exactly are you referring to? We discuss several in this thread...

Everything.

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 29th July 2003

Quote:That explains it somewhat (for Nintendo anyway yes that makes sense) but... 1) you don't need to preview everything and 2) 'its harder to get the games' is so general that I'm suspicious, especially since I don't see huge overall differences in this stuff myself between PC and console...

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT POINT YOU WERE TRYING TO MAKE WITH THIS POST!!!

It's very hard to have a debate when the other person is vague about their points.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 29th July 2003

Fine, fine.

-Gamespot's Review of F-Zero X.

The Gamespot review of F-Zero X does give a score that is too low. "It has no soul" is, I agree, not the best reason for that. However... I do NOT agree that they just took info from the manual or something for most of the game explanation, or that they played it for a few minuites. Based on reading it, neither of those complaints make any sense at all to me. It looks like a decent, if short, explanation of the game and its (perceived) problems, based on a decent playtime... I doubt very much he'd come to those conclusions and be able to write that review after just a few minuites... sorry, but you see someone who fundamentally disagrees with you and see someone who is stupid and didn't play the game much. I don't.

-3/4 reviewers vs 1 reviewer

I like one reviewer because it gives more space for actually explaining the game in writing. This is good because I base my analysis of a review far, far more on the words than on the score. You clearly do not.

-EGM vs PC Gamer

I haven't read EGM in a while and I have read some PCG issues from the last few years so I can't really make a direct comparison.

However, for what I do know, I just like longer reviews. EGM does a decent job, though...

Now if it was PCG at its prime we were comparing it'd be no comparison, but unfortunately the mag has gone downhill from there...

Quote:That explains it somewhat (for Nintendo anyway yes that makes sense) but... 1) you don't need to preview everything and 2) 'its harder to get the games' is so general that I'm suspicious, especially since I don't see huge overall differences in this stuff myself between PC and console...

Okay, I understand that they (EGM) want more previews because they can actually put a fair amount of game info in them, unlike the reviews. But that just shows more why that style isn't as good... if the reviews were longer they wouldn't need previews in the same month its released. Because previews coming really close to reviews happens more there than I'd expect in major gaming mags... certainly far more than in PC mags. And as I said, I don't see MASSIVE differences in the two industries that would explain it on that level. There has to be another reason -- the mag style.

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 29th July 2003

You sir, are an idiot.

EGM doesn't make previews for the reasons you mentioned, it's because sometimes they don't have time to do full reviews, so they can only get the previews of certain games published before the deadline. EGM reviews many many more games than PCG does, so of course their reviews are smaller (even though this month's SC2 review was six pages long), but having three different opinions on a game is a thousand times better than having single opinions on games, especially when people give shitty games like Enter the Matrix and Postal 2 good reviews (I'm sure if more editors reviewed the game you'd see some very bad reviews).

And Gamespot's F-Zero X review is just plain bad and amateurish. I'm not surprised that you consider it a good review, though. You obviously can't tell the different between a good and bad review.

Famitsu sucks - Private Hudson - 30th July 2003

SOCOM is a fun game.

Particularly online.

That's all I have to add. :)

Famitsu sucks - Smoke - 3rd August 2003

It's an opinion people! So they don't agree with you about a game you haven't even played yet, so what?! People based their opinion's on what they like. Maybe the guys at Famitsu (I've even heard Japanese gamers in general) don't like really hard games? Is that so hard to understand?

There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. No matter how much you disagree with it that's just you're own opinion.

Blech, I've never used the word opinion so much in such a short time. :p

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 3rd August 2003

Yeah I agree.

*everybody looks at OB1 all weird*

What? This was a pretty stupid argument. It's just that ABF forced me to drag it on and on and on. Argue

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 3rd August 2003

But OB1, you're the one who usually complains about reviews, not me...

But that was just small talk. You had to turn it into something big.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 3rd August 2003

But I didn't start it. :)

Yeah you did! :woo:

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 4th August 2003

I feel another argument coming on...

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 4th August 2003

You started it. YOU are the one who first complained that Famitsu rated F-Zero GX too lowly.

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 4th August 2003

No YOU started it! :stick:

Actually, BOTH of you started it!

Well, you did!

ok

So how exactly do I start it when you complained first?

Well I wasn't really being that serious, you see, but you turned it into a big deal and I kinda got dragged along.

But you do that all the time so how would I know if you're serious or not?

I use a secret code.

Yeah. So... like DJ you "joke" sometimes but its imperceptible to everyone else, until afterwards you claim you were joking. :p

No, what I did was make a post about how crazy Famitsu's editors are for not liking F-Zero, but I wasn't being totally serious since I realize that it's just their opinion.

There you go again.

See, to me 9 8 8 7 isn't "not liking".

I'm talking about the guy that gave it a 7. For Famitsu that's low.

But Famitsu often rates good games low...

They gave REmake all 9's or something like that.

I've never said their scores make sense. Honestly, I haven't seen much evidence that they are all that consistent on the big games... maybe with more info I could say that, but what I see is good games getting scores all over the place there.

Then you don't see enough of their scores.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 5th August 2003

I know Resident Evil gets high scores that, IMO, it doesn't deserve, but I don't always keep up with their scores.

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 5th August 2003

I do.

Well good for you...

Yeah thanks.

And their scores are almost always accurate, except for that one 7? Erm

Wha? No, their scores are almost always off. Haven't you been paying attention?

Yes, I know they often give strange scores... my point really was that I don't find this one as odd as you do. :)

:stick:

Silly OB1, I put that Erm in that post to show that I wasn't even remotely being serious... yet you took me seriously?

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 6th August 2003

Erm

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 6th August 2003

Erm

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 6th August 2003

:shakeit: