Tendo City
Famitsu sucks - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Famitsu sucks (/showthread.php?tid=870)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 23rd July 2003

Haha, personally I'd choose option "F: Force choke" on ABF. :p

GR is absolutely right. Since games are so subjective it's much better to have multiple opinions on the same game because each reviewers' score will often be completely different from his or her peers'. And two paragraphs is enough for a review unless it's for a huge game like Metroid Prime(in which case they would give the game a several-page long review). It makes them cut to the chase and point out the most significant strengths and weaknesses of a game.

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 23rd July 2003

My character is a Jedi, so I'll just have to settle with Force Wave, which is a very handy Force Power.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2003

No, you misunderstood me. I didn't mean 'decent review' as in 'they praise it'. I mean 'decent review' as in 'they effectively explain the game and its pros and cons'.

Oh, and reviewers generally don't give 3.5s to games that many people think deserve 8's... that just doesn't happen much at all. I read PC Gamer for years, and have read it on and off ever since. I don't agree with all their review scores or reviews. How could I? No one can agree with all reviews. But I think they do a gret job of writing reviews... so that you know how good the game is in the review. If its a problematic game in some ways but you think the reviewer overemphasized some bad points or you don't find them that bad then if the review is well done you can tell that... and most reviews are well done.

Like Gamespot's F-Zero X review. I can't disagree more with the score, but at least I can understand their reasoning... if it was three reviewers I'd see one person give it a low score but they really wouldn't have the space to explain why -- worse.

Quote:My character is a Jedi, so I'll just have to settle with Force Wave, which is a very handy Force Power.

Pfft. I have Force Kill, which is like... really deadly and stuff. Being evil is so much fun!

[Image: 20030723l.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
No, you misunderstood me. I didn't mean 'decent review' as in 'they praise it'. I mean 'decent review' as in 'they effectively explain the game and its pros and cons'.

Yes I know what you meant. But each person has a different view of each game's pros and cons.

Quote:Oh, and reviewers generally don't give 3.5s to games that many people think deserve 8's... that just doesn't happen much at all. I read PC Gamer for years, and have read it on and off ever since. I don't agree with all their review scores or reviews. How could I? No one can agree with all reviews. But I think they do a gret job of writing reviews... so that you know how good the game is in the review. If its a problematic game in some ways but you think the reviewer overemphasized some bad points or you don't find them that bad then if the review is well done you can tell that... and most reviews are well done.

They gave the ultra-crappy Enter the Matrix game a 7.something. That's way too high.

Quote:Like Gamespot's F-Zero X review. I can't disagree more with the score, but at least I can understand their reasoning... if it was three reviewers I'd see one person give it a low score but they really wouldn't have the space to explain why -- worse.

Yeah their reasoning was great. "The game doesn't have soul". Rolleyes

And all of EGM's reviewers are given two paragraphs to review the game. That's plenty. I don't like reading very long reviews because I'd rather judge a game for myself. It's best when they cut to the chase and explain the main strengths and weaknesses of a game.

Once again Penny Arcade is hilarious and ABF is completely insane. Somethings never change... :D

Quote:but they really wouldn't have the space to explain why -- worse.

Maybe not to explain it in insanely huge detail, but they have plenty of room to explain why they gave the game the score they gave it.

ABF justs likes long reviews, I suppose. Personally I'd much rather get a quick opinion on a game and judge it for myself. The only time I ever read a full, long review is when I'm really not sure whether or not I want to buy a particular game, but that's very rare since if I don't like a game I can just return it to Gamestop.

Wow.

You don't actually read reviews, you just look at the scores?

That explains everything about why you hate Gamespot (and PC Gamer) and why I like it... because I like it because their reviews are BY FAR better written and more professional than IGN's reviews. Not about the scores. Its really about the quality of the written reviews. Which is much higher at Gamespot than it is at IGN.

It also explains liking 3 or 4 short reviews over one.

It is also very, very stupid.

As for that PA... slightly funny, but not that great.

Quote:Maybe not to explain it in insanely huge detail, but they have plenty of room to explain why they gave the game the score they gave it.

Sure, but what I was saying is that they don't have the space to really explain the game, which is what you should be basing your analysis of the review on -- not on the score. The score is just that person's arbitrary decision of quality which you will almost inevitably disagree with, one way or the other.

Quote:They gave the ultra-crappy Enter the Matrix game a 7.something. That's way too high.

And PC Gamer gave Postal 2 a 7.9. But not having read those reviews I will not judge them at all... because you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT ever judge a review by its score. That is just stupid!

Quote:Yeah their reasoning was great. "The game doesn't have soul".

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/fzero10/review.html

Oh, I certainly agree that "it doesn't have a soul" is bad reasoning. But if you read the review you'd see that it says that people like me would love it.

If that was a 2-paragraph review there wouldn't be room for that kind of detail and I'd go off annoyed at the stupid reviewer. But because of the fact that they do go into more depth that is not the case.

Quote:Wow.

You don't actually read reviews, you just look at the scores?

That explains everything about why you hate Gamespot (and PC Gamer) and why I like it... because I like it because their reviews are BY FAR better written and more professional than IGN's reviews. Not about the scores. Its really about the quality of the written reviews. Which is much higher at Gamespot than it is at IGN.

It also explains liking 3 or 4 short reviews over one.

It is also very, very stupid.

Gah, you are such an idiot. I don't just look at scores, but I don't usually read entire reviews for games unless I'm unsure about them. I'd rather make up my own mind on a game.

I have read several Gamespot reviews and they are not nearly as good as you think they are. Most of their reviews basically just repeat the game's instruction manual and go into too much detail about simple parts of the game. Basically they just try to fill as much space as they can in order to fool stupid people into thinking that their reviews are smart and well-written.

Quote:Sure, but what I was saying is that they don't have the space to really explain the game, which is what you should be basing your analysis of the review on -- not on the score. The score is just that person's arbitrary decision of quality which you will almost inevitably disagree with, one way or the other.

I look into games before they come out so I already know all there is to know about them, unless it's something like Metroid Prime where I want to know as little as possible so that I can be surprised. Long-winded reviews are only really useful if you know very little about a game and are having a difficult time deciding whether or not to get it. I visit gaming sites on a daily basis so I usually don't need any extra info from a review.

Quote:And PC Gamer gave Postal 2 a 7.9. But not having read those reviews I will not judge them at all... because you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT ever judge a review by its score. That is just stupid!

No shit, Sherlock. Perhaps you SHOULD READ what I write instead of MAKING ASSUMPTIONS. That is just STUPID!

Quote:http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/fzero10/review.html

Oh, I certainly agree that "it doesn't have a soul" is bad reasoning. But if you read the review you'd see that it says that people like me would love it.

If that was a 2-paragraph review there wouldn't be room for that kind of detail and I'd go off annoyed at the stupid reviewer. But because of the fact that they do go into more depth that is not the case.

The only reason why you'd need the review to be longer than two paragraphs is if you don't know anything about the game. I don't need to know that F-Zero is a futuristic racer that's really fast because I already know that. I just want to know how much the reviewer liked it.

Quote:No shit, Sherlock. Perhaps you SHOULD READ what I write instead of MAKING ASSUMPTIONS. That is just STUPID!

Then why do you judge games based on, as far as I can tell, just the score so often?

Quote:Gah, you are such an idiot. I don't just look at scores, but I don't usually read entire reviews for games unless I'm unsure about them. I'd rather make up my own mind on a game.

I have read several Gamespot reviews and they are not nearly as good as you think they are. Most of their reviews basically just repeat the game's instruction manual and go into too much detail about simple parts of the game. Basically they just try to fill as much space as they can in order to fool stupid people into thinking that their reviews are smart and well-written.

OOH, you read SEVERAL REVIEWS! GREAT sample to decare that they have badly written and scored reviews on, yup! Rolleyes

Also... that first paragraph reads to me "I look at scores a lot. I also read some of the review, but not all of it, and then judge the review on this badly flawed sampling of what it says". Sure gives me reason to listen to you complain about another score that is "too low". Yup.

Quote:I look into games before they come out so I already know all there is to know about them, unless it's something like Metroid Prime where I want to know as little as possible so that I can be surprised. Long-winded reviews are only really useful if you know very little about a game and are having a difficult time deciding whether or not to get it. I visit gaming sites on a daily basis so I usually don't need any extra info from a review.

Quote:The only reason why you'd need the review to be longer than two paragraphs is if you don't know anything about the game. I don't need to know that F-Zero is a futuristic racer that's really fast because I already know that. I just want to know how much the reviewer liked it.

Uhh... you base opinions of games more on previews and news than on reviews? Are you sane at all?

Not even remotely sensible. Reviews are FAR, FAR better sources of accurate info about how a game actually plays than anything else short of playing it yourself... you can't judge games based on news and previews! Previews are innacurate and forgive games their faults in hopes they will be fixed...

Oh, and no decent review would say "F-Zero is futuristic racer. Here's some stuff from the manual and my dumb comments". Sorry. And this one doesn't. You just completely misrepresent it to suit your version of the facts... because its a well written review, its just got a (IMO) wrong opinion of the gameplay fun factor and graphics of the game. But that's okay, because they explain both well enough for me to see that those aren't things I'd see as problems and indeed F-Zero X is a great game.

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Being evil is so much fun!

You chose to be evil? Ha! How foolish. Everywhere you go you are shunned for your evil deeds. So you say you can do what you want? Well, so can I. No one pushes me around without a fight and everything I do is justified. For this people revere me as their hero and the Experience Points flow like water in a river! I do what I want and still the people love me! While ,you, the pathetic Dark Jedi are shunned to a life of loneliness and destruction!

Who new being good was so evil! :D

Quote:Then why do you judge games based on, as far as I can tell, just the score so often?

The score is, in the tiniest nutshell possible, the reviewer's opinion of the game.

Quote:Uhh... you base opinions of games more on previews and news than on reviews? Are you sane at all?

Previews and news will tell you a lot of the basic elements of the game: how it works, graphics style, the creators, genre, ect. All of which a long review would go over again. After gathering all that information in advance a short review of how the game plays and about how well someone liked it should be enough to help you make you decision.

Quote:Then why do you judge games based on, as far as I can tell, just the score so often?

When did I ever say that I judge games based on scores? I'll point out if someone gives a good game a crappy score (like this thread), but I never decide on whether or not I'm going to buy a game based off of a score alone.

Quote:OOH, you read SEVERAL REVIEWS! GREAT sample to decare that they have badly written and scored reviews on, yup!

Oh that's right, I just happened to stumble upon the bad reviews, right? Rolleyes

Quote:Also... that first paragraph reads to me "I look at scores a lot. I also read some of the review, but not all of it, and then judge the review on this badly flawed sampling of what it says". Sure gives me reason to listen to you complain about another score that is "too low". Yup.

You read it like that because you are an imbecile. Think what you want. You and others like you (i.e. Darunia, nickdaddyg) are too stubborn to listen to reason.

Quote:Uhh... you base opinions of games more on previews and news than on reviews? Are you sane at all?

Not even remotely sensible. Reviews are FAR, FAR better sources of accurate info about how a game actually plays than anything else short of playing it yourself... you can't judge games based on news and previews! Previews are innacurate and forgive games their faults in hopes they will be fixed...

Here we go again. ABF taking a note from Darunia by only taking parts of what someone says and twisting them around because that's the only way you're able to rebut in an argument. Very said.

Here's how it brakes down. Pay close attention now, because I know how hard it is for you to comprehend what people write:

1. First I read previews, impressions, and articles on games to get info on what they are about and how they play.

2. The next thing I do is wait for reviews to come around and what I usually do is skip past all of the useless info on the game (because I already know what it's about; refer to point #1) and get right to the meat of the review: how the final version of the game looks, sounds, and plays.

Now then, was that too difficult to understand? I could bring out the sign language again if you're still having trouble with this.

Quote:Oh, and no decent review would say "F-Zero is futuristic racer. Here's some stuff from the manual and my dumb comments". Sorry. And this one doesn't. You just completely misrepresent it to suit your version of the facts... because its a well written review, its just got a (IMO) wrong opinion of the gameplay fun factor and graphics of the game. But that's okay, because they explain both well enough for me to see that those aren't things I'd see as problems and indeed F-Zero X is a great game.

You're right about one thing: no decent review would state those things, which is precisely why Gamespot's reviews are so bad.

I've been reading Gamespot for a long time. Longer than IGN has even existed... I used to go to this review/news site called OGR, but five years ago or something Gamespot bought them... I've been going there ever since... so I think that thats a slightly better selection?

Oh, but I would admit that Gamespot is weak in parts, such as their GB coverage. Their coverage of GB games has always been not too good...

Quote:When did I ever say that I judge games based on scores? I'll point out if someone gives a good game a crappy score (like this thread), but I never decide on whether or not I'm going to buy a game based off of a score alone.

I never said it affects your purchasing decisions, just that you complain overly long about what you see as mediocre or poor review for games that "deserve" better. I'd say that that is paying more attention to the score than to the review... which doesn't make sense, IMO.

Quote:You read it like that because you are an imbecile. Think what you want. You and others like you (i.e. Darunia, nickdaddyg) are too stubborn to listen to reason.

Reason like "read a review before judging it"? If that's bad logic, I don't want to see good logic!

Quote:You're right about one thing: no decent review would state those things, which is precisely why Gamespot's reviews are so bad.

The point is that the review doesn't say that anywhere other than in your twisted mind.

Quote:Here we go again. ABF taking a note from Darunia by only taking parts of what someone says and twisting them around because that's the only way you're able to rebut in an argument. Very said.

Here's how it brakes down. Pay close attention now, because I know how hard it is for you to comprehend what people write:

1. First I read previews, impressions, and articles on games to get info on what they are about and how they play.

2. The next thing I do is wait for reviews to come around and what I usually do is skip past all of the useless info on the game (because I already know what it's about; refer to point #1) and get right to the meat of the review: how the final version of the game looks, sounds, and plays.

Now then, was that too difficult to understand? I could bring out the sign language again if you're still having trouble with this.

Well that method clearly doesn't work because you constantly complain that good and/or well written reviews are bad.

Quote:The score is, in the tiniest nutshell possible, the reviewer's opinion of the game.

Tiniest and innacurate.

Quote:I never said it affects your purchasing decisions, just that you complain overly long about what you see as mediocre or poor review for games that "deserve" better. I'd say that that is paying more attention to the score than to the review... which doesn't make sense, IMO.

I've never quoted a score without first reading the actual review, unless the review is in a language that I do not understand.

Quote:Reason like "read a review before judging it"? If that's bad logic, I don't want to see good logic!

What the hell? That's not even a proper response to what I wrote! Go back and read what I was responding to.

Seriously now, it's like you're not even trying anymore.

Quote:The point is that the review doesn't say that anywhere other than in your twisted mind.

Before I reply to this I'd like to point out that Gamespot's review is a whole five paragraphs long! Wowee! Yup, Gamespot's reviews sure are long! In comparison, IGN's review is fourteen paragraphs long, and is considerably better-written than Gamespot's shoddy review.

Gamespot's review explains how the game plays, then goes on to complain about the graphics and controls (controls? WTF? The controls are great!). That's pretty much it. Oh and they added this at the end of the review: "Practically flawless from a technical standpoint, the biggest thing missing from F-Zero X is that it lacks a soul." . So because the graphics are bad the game lacks soul? He also complains about the lack of a first-person view. WOW.

Quote:Well that method clearly doesn't work because you constantly complain that good and/or well written reviews are bad.

Perhaps if Gamespot's reviews were actually well-written, that would be the case. But unfortunately for you their reviews are a joke.

Quote:I've never quoted a score without first reading the actual review, unless the review is in a language that I do not understand.

Then why in your complaints do you focus so heavily on the score if you read and think about the review?

Quote:What the hell? That's not even a proper response to what I wrote! Go back and read what I was responding to.

Seriously now, it's like you're not even trying anymore.

Sounds like a decent response to me...

Quote:Before I reply to this I'd like to point out that Gamespot's review is a whole five paragraphs long! Wowee! Yup, Gamespot's reviews sure are long! In comparison, IGN's review is fourteen paragraphs long, and is considerably better-written than Gamespot's shoddy review.

Gamespot's review explains how the game plays, then goes on to complain about the graphics and controls (controls? WTF? The controls are great!). That's pretty much it. Oh and they added this at the end of the review: "Practically flawless from a technical standpoint, the biggest thing missing from F-Zero X is that it lacks a soul." . So because the graphics are bad the game lacks soul? He also complains about the lack of a first-person view. WOW.

So its not Gamespot's greatest review. But its good enough.

Oh, and I've always gone to Gamespot more for PC than for consoles... I didn't even go to their console section for several years... so I really am more talking about PC reviews than console.

Quote:Perhaps if Gamespot's reviews were actually well-written, that would be the case. But unfortunately for you their reviews are a joke.

Compared to IGN's paragon of enlightened thought, I presume?

Famitsu sucks - Nintendarse - 24th July 2003

I have a problem with short reviews that take a highly-anticipated games, give them low scores, and just say something like, "Colors are sharp. Speed is fast. Too hard. Let's pizza."

If you're going to have a controversial opinion, you need a better explanation, which usually means a longer explanation.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 24th July 2003

That is exactly what I've been trying to get these people to understand... its not working.

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 24th July 2003

Quote:Then why in your complaints do you focus so heavily on the score if you read and think about the review?

In which case? This one?? Hmm, perhaps that's because the F-Zero GX reviews basically states "the game is the shining triumph of hard sushi, letting go never hurts".

Quote:Sounds like a decent response to me...

But of course it does.

Quote:So its not Gamespot's greatest review. But its good enough.

Oh, and I've always gone to Gamespot more for PC than for consoles... I didn't even go to their console section for several years... so I really am more talking about PC reviews than console.

HA! So now you're slowly backing out of your argument, changing it because you're losing. Nice one.

Quote:Compared to IGN's paragon of enlightened thought, I presume?

They don't usually quote intruction manuals like Gamespot does, and instead of just trying to smart by repeating useless information over and over, they cut to the chase. Usually.

Quote: have a problem with short reviews that take a highly-anticipated games, give them low scores, and just say something like, "Colors are sharp. Speed is fast. Too hard. Let's pizza."

If you're going to have a controversial opinion, you need a better explanation, which usually means a longer explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is exactly what I've been trying to get these people to understand... its not working.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean! Oh wait, no I don't! And why is that? Because your statement is based off of a nonexistant review. Instead of quoting actual reviews like I do (it's great! You should try it sometime!), you make a vague comment about something that you made up. But of course, when you have nothing to back up your argument that is what you have to resort to. Genius arguing techniques, guys. I applaud you. Rolleyes

Quote:In which case? This one?? Hmm, perhaps that's because the F-Zero GX reviews basically states "the game is the shining triumph of hard sushi, letting go never hurts".

Oh come on, you complain about low review scores CONSTANTLY.

Quote:But of course it does. /QUOTE]

Whatever...

[QUOTE]HA! So now you're slowly backing out of your argument, changing it because you're losing. Nice one.

Never said their F-Zero X review was great, just that its decent and good enough... and isn't a badly written review.

Quote:They don't usually quote intruction manuals like Gamespot does, and instead of just trying to smart by repeating useless information over and over, they cut to the chase. Usually.

Gamespot just DOESN'T DO THAT!

IGN, however, often pads their reviews with lots of moronic fluff that doesn't belong anywhere near the review page.

Quote:Oh yeah, I know what you mean! Oh wait, no I don't! And why is that? Because your statement is based off of a nonexistant review. Instead of quoting actual reviews like I do (it's great! You should try it sometime!), you make a vague comment about something that you made up. But of course, when you have nothing to back up your argument that is what you have to resort to. Genius arguing techniques, guys. I applaud you.

There are far too many examples of both to make it effective to link.. its not like I'm commenting on some one or two reviews. This is about my overall impressions of each site's review styles and quality...

These two reviews are both okay. I just prefer Gamespot's style...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/rayman2thegreatescape/review.html
http://pc.ign.com/articles/160/160732p1.html

Famitsu sucks - Nintendarse - 24th July 2003

Woah, OB1, keep your socks on. It was meant to be a joke. The intention was to make fun of Famitsu's inadequate review explanation rather than to comment in this pointless argument.

I think we can all agree that the person that gave F-Zero GX a 7 did not properly explain his score.

Of course not. So all we're left with is 'that reviewer is dumb'. Which I am sure is innacurate but that review style gives no room for any explanations.

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 24th July 2003

Famitsu's reviews aren't very good not because four people write reviews for a game, but because they only right about two sentences. Unless those are just their closing comments, which they may be.

EGM reviews 7 years ago were just barely longer than that...

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 24th July 2003

And your point is?

Quote:Oh come on, you complain about low review scores CONSTANTLY.

Like when? If I complain about a score then I will also complain about the written review. The score is the summation of the written review, and is a good way to start with complaining or prasing a review.

Quote:ever said their F-Zero X review was great, just that its decent and good enough... and isn't a badly written review.

It is a very poorly-written review. The reviewer just complains about the graphics and simplifies the game to its very basic aspects without going into more depth. It is very obvious that the reviewer didn't spend much time on the game, or the review itself for that matter.

Quote:Gamespot just DOESN'T DO THAT!

IGN, however, often pads their reviews with lots of moronic fluff that doesn't belong anywhere near the review page.

YES. THEY. DO! Half of that F-Zero review at Gamespot is just talking about the controls and basic features of the game! The reviewer goes on and on about how the graphics suck and how he doesn't like the controls. That's it!

IGN usually covers everything that is needed to be covered in the review without spending too much time on useless instruction manual information like Gamespot does. They add some humor in their reviews (which is always a nice change of pace from Gamespot's terribly boring reviews), sometimes funny, sometimes not. But we've already established that you have no sense of humor.

Quote:There are far too many examples of both to make it effective to link.. its not like I'm commenting on some one or two reviews. This is about my overall impressions of each site's review styles and quality...

These two reviews are both okay. I just prefer Gamespot's style...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/r...ape/review.html
http://pc.ign.com/articles/160/160732p1.html

Wow that... totally doesn't prove your point. You were agreeing with Nintendarse that their reviews consist of only two or three words, even though he was talking about Famitsu... which has absolutely nothing to do with your reply right there.

Quote:EGM reviews 7 years ago were just barely longer than that...

So you actually have EGM issues from seven years back? No? Well I do, and back then each review was four paragraphs long, one for each reviewer. They perfected the review format over the years, but there was nothing better than it back then.

Quote:Like when? If I complain about a score then I will also complain about the written review. The score is the summation of the written review, and is a good way to start with complaining or prasing a review.

Are you trying to deny you complain about reviews (focusing on scores that are "too low" to you) fairly frequently? Erm

Quote:It is a very poorly-written review. The reviewer just complains about the graphics and simplifies the game to its very basic aspects without going into more depth. It is very obvious that the reviewer didn't spend much time on the game, or the review itself for that matter.

Sure Gamespot has done better, but still, its not badly written... its okay. You just disagree with his bad points so you've got to find other problems with it.

Quote:Wow that... totally doesn't prove your point. You were agreeing with Nintendarse that their reviews consist of only two or three words, even though he was talking about Famitsu... which has absolutely nothing to do with your reply right there.

That was just to show decent examples both styles. And why I like one over the other... in response to all your complaints about Gamespot's style...

Oh, and I've never said IGN or Gamespot use super short reviews... that complaint is aimed at multiple-reviewer mags, not IGN or Gamespot.

Quote:IGN usually covers everything that is needed to be covered in the review without spending too much time on useless instruction manual information like Gamespot does. They add some humor in their reviews (which is always a nice change of pace from Gamespot's terribly boring reviews), sometimes funny, sometimes not. But we've already established that you have no sense of humor.

I'd say taht Gamespot's to the point and more professional-reading reviews are a nice change of pace after more IGN "humor".

And all we established about my sense of humor is that it doesn't see many of the things you find really funny all that funny. That's called "difference of opinion"... ever heard of it? :)

Quote:So you actually have EGM issues from seven years back? No? Well I do, and back then each review was four paragraphs long, one for each reviewer. They perfected the review format over the years, but there was nothing better than it back then.

The only two or three issues of EGM I own are from between late '95 and mid '96 (one of them is the Spaceworld issue... with previews of all the N64 games...). So I know that four-reviewer, paragraph-long-review style as EGM's. As I said before. And I also said I've read a few issues of it from time to time since then, and have noticed the reviews were a bit longer... one longer review, and two even shorter ones... but they are still quite abrupt.

Quote:Are you trying to deny you complain about reviews (focusing on scores that are "too low" to you) fairly frequently?

Of course I complain about scores every now and then, but only when accompanied by reviews. If the score and the written review contradict each other (like Gamespot's Metroid Fusion review) then I'll point that out.

Quote:ure Gamespot has done better, but still, its not badly written... its okay. You just disagree with his bad points so you've got to find other problems with it.

The fact that you can't tell how poorly written that review is says a lot to me. The review only touches upon a couple of aspects of the game and doesn't get any deeper than the info you would find at a good site's first, brief impressions of the game. It's like the reviewer only played the game for two minutes.

Quote:That was just to show decent examples both styles. And why I like one over the other... in response to all your complaints about Gamespot's style...

Oh, and I've never said IGN or Gamespot use super short reviews... that complaint is aimed at multiple-reviewer mags, not IGN or Gamespot.

We weren't arguing about the sites' different styles of reviewing. You just turned that argument into something else because you were losing.

Quote:'d say taht Gamespot's to the point and more professional-reading reviews are a nice change of pace after more IGN "humor".

Your definition is "professional" is hilarious. Gamespot's reviews are extremely unprofessional and they read like someone who knows nothing about video games is consulting an instruction manual and offering very ignorant observations of the games they are reviewing.

Quote:And all we established about my sense of humor is that it doesn't see many of the things you find really funny all that funny. That's called "difference of opinion"... ever heard of it?

ABF, just admit that you are completely devoid of a sense of humor and Ill be on my way. You never laugh at anything, you never tell jokes, and you probably don't even understand the meaning or the word.

Quote:The only two or three issues of EGM I own are from between late '95 and mid '96 (one of them is the Spaceworld issue... with previews of all the N64 games...). So I know that four-reviewer, paragraph-long-review style as EGM's. As I said before. And I also said I've read a few issues of it from time to time since then, and have noticed the reviews were a bit longer... one longer review, and two even shorter ones... but they are still quite abrupt.

With their tiny reviews they are able to express more about a game's real strengths and weaknesses than Gamespot's terrible reviews do.

Quote:Of course I complain about scores every now and then, but only when accompanied by reviews. If the score and the written review contradict each other (like Gamespot's Metroid Fusion review) then I'll point that out.

I look at the review over the score. And don't get nearly as annoyed over slightly low reviews...

Quote:The fact that you can't tell how poorly written that review is says a lot to me. The review only touches upon a couple of aspects of the game and doesn't get any deeper than the info you would find at a good site's first, brief impressions of the game. It's like the reviewer only played the game for two minutes.

Reviewers have to pretty much complete games to do reviews... and it really isn't that bad. Not in my opinion anyway... and this isn't a objective issue...

Quote:We weren't arguing about the sites' different styles of reviewing. You just turned that argument into something else because you were losing.

We weren't because you refuse to answer every time I bring it up. Because you know its not something you can win...

As for review quality itsself I think you're deluding yourself if you think I'm losing.

Quote:Your definition is "professional" is hilarious. Gamespot's reviews are extremely unprofessional and they read like someone who knows nothing about video games is consulting an instruction manual and offering very ignorant observations of the games they are reviewing.

All that says to me is how little you read Gamespot reviews. Because it couldn't be any farther from the truth.

Quote:ABF, just admit that you are completely devoid of a sense of humor and Ill be on my way. You never laugh at anything, you never tell jokes, and you probably don't even understand the meaning or the word.

Not true, not true, and not true. As you know if you think about it for over two seconds.

You just say that because I don't think stupid humor is very funny.

Quote:With their tiny reviews they are able to express more about a game's real strengths and weaknesses than Gamespot's terrible reviews do.

If you honestly believe that I think we have a good candidate for the insane asylum...

Oh... one more thing. There was a review style better back in 1996.

You found it in PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World.

Quote: look at the review over the score. And don't get nearly as annoyed over slightly low reviews...

As I said before, the score is a summation of the review, and if the reviewer knows what he/she is doing, it should accurately reflect the written review. And in the case of Gamespot's written review, I've seen better "reviews" in the user comment section at gamestop.com.

Quote:Reviewers have to pretty much complete games to do reviews... and it really isn't that bad. Not in my opinion anyway... and this isn't a objective issue...

You'd think that was true, but it's not. I've spoken with several editors at various gaming sites and magazines and they told me that they rarely ever finish games that they don't really care for.

Quote:We weren't because you refuse to answer every time I bring it up. Because you know its not something you can win...

As for review quality itsself I think you're deluding yourself if you think I'm losing.

I know that I can't win an argument that you just brought up out of nowhere? Do you think that I don't pay attention to your posts? You just said that you prefer Gamespot's "style" over IGN's, which is a completely different topic.

Quote:All that says to me is how little you read Gamespot reviews. Because it couldn't be any farther from the truth.

Rolleyes Think whatever you want to think, ABF. I'll have as much luck convincing you of the truth as I will convincing nickdaddyg that the Gamecube has some great games. It's just hopeless.

Quote:Not true, not true, and not true. As you know if you think about it for over two seconds.

You just say that because I don't think stupid humor is very funny.

You don't think anything is funny. Well except for a few unfunny comic strips.

Quote:If you honestly believe that I think we have a good candidate for the insane asylum...

Oh... one more thing. There was a review style better back in 1996.

You found it in PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World.

Better if you know very little about games, which seems to be the case with you. I keep up with news, previews, and impressions for most games, so having short reviews by three or four different people is much for useful than having one long review by a single person which basically just covers everything I already know about a game.

Quote:As I said before, the score is a summation of the review, and if the reviewer knows what he/she is doing, it should accurately reflect the written review. And in the case of Gamespot's written review, I've seen better "reviews" in the user comment section at gamestop.com.

Yes, of course the score should reflect the attitude towards the game contained in the review. And they almost always do, on both sites. That isn't a problem.

I am not talking about a review saying "the game is great" then giving it a 70. I'm saying a review saying, in depth, all the good and bad points about a game, then giving the score that that person thinks is best... now I might disagree with their conclusions. A lot. But if the review is well done, as I've said ten times now, that doesn't matter -- I still get a very good idea of if I'd want the game.

Now... I won't say that that F-Zero review is one of Gamespot's best. Its not. But it IS decent. Yes, it could use more depth and explanation. But it does have a fair amount and does explain the reasonings for the score well. You just disagree completely with that reasoning so you write off the whole review... which I would not do.

Oh, did I mention that, IMO, PC Gamer writes the best reviews of any gaming magazine/website? Sure they don't cover consoles, but I wish they did, because they'd be far better than any of the console mags...

Quote:You'd think that was true, but it's not. I've spoken with several editors at various gaming sites and magazines and they told me that they rarely ever finish games that they don't really care for.

I didn't say finish, I said play a good amount. Not "two minuites" obviously.

Quote:I know that I can't win an argument that you just brought up out of nowhere? Do you think that I don't pay attention to your posts? You just said that you prefer Gamespot's "style" over IGN's, which is a completely different topic.

Different but closely related.

Quote:Think whatever you want to think, ABF. I'll have as much luck convincing you of the truth as I will convincing nickdaddyg that the Gamecube has some great games. It's just hopeless.

Just like its hopeless to get you to read enough Gamespot reviews to get a fuller picture of their review quality.

Quote:Better if you know very little about games, which seems to be the case with you. I keep up with news, previews, and impressions for most games, so having short reviews by three or four different people is much for useful than having one long review by a single person which basically just covers everything I already know about a game.

No decent review just regurgitates the news and previews. (and no, that F-Zero review doesn't do that)

Quote:Yes, of course the score should reflect the attitude towards the game contained in the review. And they almost always do, on both sites. That isn't a problem.

I am not talking about a review saying "the game is great" then giving it a 70. I'm saying a review saying, in depth, all the good and bad points about a game, then giving the score that that person thinks is best... now I might disagree with their conclusions. A lot. But if the review is well done, as I've said ten times now, that doesn't matter -- I still get a very good idea of if I'd want the game.

Now... I won't say that that F-Zero review is one of Gamespot's best. Its not. But it IS decent. Yes, it could use more depth and explanation. But it does have a fair amount and does explain the reasonings for the score well. You just disagree completely with that reasoning so you write off the whole review... which I would not do.

I have no problems with James Mielke's opinion on F-Zero (he does reviews for EGM, btw), but he presented the game in a very poor light and failed to evenly explain the pros and cons of the game, and instead chose to simply complain about one aspect of it (the bland graphics). EGM's short reviews of the game were much, much better because they didn't repeat themselves over and over like "Milkman" did.

Quote:Oh, did I mention that, IMO, PC Gamer writes the best reviews of any gaming magazine/website? Sure they don't cover consoles, but I wish they did, because they'd be far better than any of the console mags...

Their reviews are pretty good, but if they reviewed console games then you would get two-sentence reviews from them. PC Gamer actually devotes less pages to reviews than EGM does.

Quote:I didn't say finish, I said play a good amount. Not "two minuites" obviously.

Considering how ignorant their reviewers sound I'd bet that two minutes really isn't too far off.

Quote:Different but closely related.

You admit that they're different yet still try to make yourself sound right. This is getting very boring.

Quote:Just like its hopeless to get you to read enough Gamespot reviews to get a fuller picture of their review quality.

I've read enough of their reviews to see how bad they are.

Quote:No decent review just regurgitates the news and previews. (and no, that F-Zero review doesn't do that)

Gamespot's F-Zero review simply repeats info that you can find in any preview of the game but with some whining about the game's graphics by the reviewer added in to make it look like an actual review.

Quote:Their reviews are pretty good, but if they reviewed console games then you would get two-sentence reviews from them. PC Gamer actually devotes less pages to reviews than EGM does.

You think? Then we're lucky they cover PC then. :)

They sure do review a lot of games in those issues I have, but its a very small number of pages of the reviews... most pages are a Nintendo Power-like focus on strategy guide pages and stuff...

Quote:Considering how ignorant their reviewers sound I'd bet that two minutes really isn't too far off.

It doesn't sound like that to me.

Quote:I've read enough of their reviews to see how bad they are.

They aren't bad, so I don't know what reviews you have been reading...

Quote:Gamespot's F-Zero review simply repeats info that you can find in any preview of the game but with some whining about the game's graphics by the reviewer added in to make it look like an actual review.

So what, exactly, should it have said?

Famitsu sucks - Nintendarse - 25th July 2003

You two sound like a 54th anniversary married couple where death would be a gift to both people.

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 25th July 2003

Quote:You think? Then we're lucky they cover PC then.

They sure do review a lot of games in those issues I have, but its a very small number of pages of the reviews... most pages are a Nintendo Power-like focus on strategy guide pages and stuff...

You've never actually read a single issue of EGM, have you? They devote many two, three pages to cheats/strategies, with most of the pages going toward previews and articles. Your ignorance shines through yet again.

Quote:It doesn't sound like that to me.

Wherein lies the problem.

Quote:They aren't bad, so I don't know what reviews you have been reading...

You just don't know what a good review should look like.

Quote:So what, exactly, should it have said?

It should have started off with a brief introduction to the game and then gone on to explaining the main parts of F-Zero (i.e. graphics, controls, sound, "fun factor", etc.) without just dwelling on a single aspect of it (which Gamespot did). After the reviewer has gone into detail about the gameplay and the intricacies of the game (which Gamespot failed to do), you'd have a final paragraph summarizing how the reviewer felt about the title. That is basically what should have been done.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 26th July 2003

Quote:You've never actually read a single issue of EGM, have you? They devote many two, three pages to cheats/strategies, with most of the pages going toward previews and articles. Your ignorance shines through yet again.

I haven't read my two or three issues from '95 and '96 in a while, I admit... but I remember them well enough.

Letters, news, reviews (fair number of pages, but 3 per page with 4 reviewers and ads on half the pages), info pages/previews (I mean the many pages of one or two page short previews of games which I think aren't out, but might be. Not sure about that... its got format details and game info and stuff but not a review. A bunch of pages of that...), strategy guide stuff (one has a insert with special moves for a fighting game), etc... and lots of ads of course. :)

And you are right most of the pages are those previews (of unrealeased games?) and articles.

Of course, PC gaming mags are different... focuses are on feature articles and reviews...

Quote:You just don't know what a good review should look like.

I happen to like the three I wrote... :D

Quote:It should have started off with a brief introduction to the game and then gone on to explaining the main parts of F-Zero (i.e. graphics, controls, sound, "fun factor", etc.) without just dwelling on a single aspect of it (which Gamespot did). After the reviewer has gone into detail about the gameplay and the intricacies of the game (which Gamespot failed to do), you'd have a final paragraph summarizing how the reviewer felt about the title. That is basically what should have been done.

Yes, it could/should have been better. But it just wasn't totally negligent... yes more detail would be nice but there is enough for a decent amount of info...

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 27th July 2003

And now for no apparent reason I will do a side-by-side comparions of the April 2003 issue of PC Gamer and the August 2003 issues of EGM:

Total pages:
PCG - 144
EGM - 134
Winner: PCG

Pages of articles:
PCG - 11
EGM - 14
Winner: EGM

Pages of previews:
PCG - 23
EGM - 31

Number of reviews:
PCG - 17
EGM - 20

Pages of reviews:
PCG - 16
EGM - 14
Winner: PCG

Pages of strategy/cheats:
PCG - 4
EGM - 4
Winner: Tie

Ads:
PCG - 90
EGM - 67

Pages of fan letters:
PCG - 3
EGM - 3
Winner: Tie

Comics:
PCG - 0
EGM - 1

PCG: 4
EGM: 7

Quote:Of course, PC gaming mags are different... focuses are on feature articles and reviews...

PC Gamer seems pretty focused on ads...

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 27th July 2003

Quote:I haven't read my two or three issues from '95 and '96 in a while, I admit... but I remember them well enough.

Letters, news, reviews (fair number of pages, but 3 per page with 4 reviewers and ads on half the pages), info pages/previews (I mean the many pages of one or two page short previews of games which I think aren't out, but might be. Not sure about that... its got format details and game info and stuff but not a review. A bunch of pages of that...), strategy guide stuff (one has a insert with special moves for a fighting game), etc... and lots of ads of course.

And you are right most of the pages are those previews (of unrealeased games?) and articles.

Of course, PC gaming mags are different... focuses are on feature articles and reviews...

Yes I am right. And what GR posted is from one of the slowest months of the year for video games, so that issue is smaller than usual. EGM's issues from September through January are usually pretty damn big, much bigger than PC Gamer ever gets (and did you see PC Gamer's 100th issue? It was tiny!). And as GR pointed out there are many more ads in PC Gamer than there are in EGM, most likely due to the fact that EGM has a larger readership than PCG does.

Quote:Yes, it could/should have been better. But it just wasn't totally negligent... yes more detail would be nice but there is enough for a decent amount of info...

No there wasn't. You could find much more info in EGM's review of the game. What EGM often does is have a large preview of the game in the same or previous issue that the game is reviewed, so you get plenty of information on the game.

*waits for ABF to come back and call his evidence "faked" or "inaccurate"*

You gotta admit having a comic can be a deciding factor in making a purchase.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 27th July 2003

Yeah, I know... PC Gamer isn't as good as it used to be. Haven't I said that plenty of times before? Yes, its relatively thin now... which is really too bad, but for some reason the gaming magazine market isn't too healthy. PC Gamer of course was a much better mag up until several years back... back when issues regularly went well, well over 200 pages... like when the page count topped out at 447 in November 1997 (Duke Nukem Forever cover -- new screenshots with the Quake I engine!). When I read those older issues... sure, hundreds of pages of ads. But it had over 25 pages of information about the games that had demos on the CD (now all they have is a sentence on the contents page)! Everything was just ... more ... then it is now. Its sad really... I wish it was as good as it was three or four years ago. :(

Even PC Gamer's holiday issues are pathetic in page count these days.

The only reason that its still my favorite is that the competition isn't exactly in much better shape...

Quote:No there wasn't. You could find much more info in EGM's review of the game. What EGM often does is have a large preview of the game in the same or previous issue that the game is reviewed, so you get plenty of information on the game.

Yeah, I do recall previews of games in the same issue they are reviewed in... it seemed a very strange way of doing things. It'd be much better if previews were just for upcoming games, like in all the PC gaming mags, and reviews cover that stuff in the issue they are reviewed in...

Quote:And as GR pointed out there are many more ads in PC Gamer than there are in EGM, most likely due to the fact that EGM has a larger readership than PCG does.

Yes, reader numbers make a huge impact on ad pages... and while PC Gamer is still the #1 selling PC magazine, console mags sell better.

Quote:Yeah, I do recall previews of games in the same issue they are reviewed in... it seemed a very strange way of doing things.

I don't ever remember them doing that, at least in recent years.

Hsu and Chan is THE reason to buy EGM.

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 27th July 2003

The reason why previews are every now and then in the same issue as reviews for the same game in EGM is because sometimes they don't know if they'll have time to write the reviews before the deadline. But the previews are really just reviews but without the score, so it's a good thing.

Hsu and Chan is pretty funny, but you have to read the comics that inspired them: Milk and Cheese. Evan Dorkin wrote M&C (he used to be a writer for SGC2C) and they're even funnier than Hsu and Chan.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 27th July 2003

But you generally preview preview copies of games, not full review (ie release)-worthy versions... or at least you certainly should should...

Famitsu sucks - OB1 - 28th July 2003

That's not true with gaming magazines. What often happens is that they get a reviewable copy of the game, have enough time to finish the preview (usually just a month before the game gets reviewed, as is the case with most Nintendo games), but then find out that they have enough time to do the reviews.

Famitsu sucks - A Black Falcon - 28th July 2003

I don't know... maybe.

One problem with some mags (not sure which really) is they review unfinished copies of games... they should only be reviewing finished, retail, copies...

What do you mean "maybe"?? I'm not asking you a question, I'm telling you a fact. I've spoken with EGM's EIC Dan Hsu many times in the past and this is one of the things he has told me. And EGM does not review unfinished games like certain other mags do (like Game Informer). That's why their reviews are late so often.

It just seems strange to have a preview and a review of a game in the same issue... that's something I've never seen in any PC gaming mag... they do a preview of a game well before it comes out, maybe another and/or a handson preview close to release, then a review later...

Oh, and I know PCG doesn't review unfinished games either.

Famitsu sucks - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2003

Maybe it's just harder to get copies of console games before their release.

That is definitely the case. Especially with Nintendo who likes to make gaming magazines and sites wait forever to get reviewable copies of their games. And then there are cases like Enter the Matrix and the new Tomb Raider game where the publisher decides not to give magazines reviewable copies of the game until after they come out, becuase they know how bad they are.

That explains it somewhat (for Nintendo anyway yes that makes sense) but... 1) you don't need to preview everything and 2) 'its harder to get the games' is so general that I'm suspicious, especially since I don't see huge overall differences in this stuff myself between PC and console...