Tendo City
A few new details on the GBA successor - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: A few new details on the GBA successor (/showthread.php?tid=831)

Pages: 1 2

A few new details on the GBA successor - Great Rumbler - 14th July 2003

No.

A few new details on the GBA successor - Dark Jaguar - 14th July 2003

oh...

A few new details on the GBA successor - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2003

Wow, replacing the batteries twice a week? How much do you USE the thing? I think I've only had to replace GB batteries twice a week several times in my whole life...

Oh, and I don't pay for batteries. My parents buy them for me...

Oh, and I've never seen the need to use any kind of lighting device in lit rooms.

Now... as for GBC games. Yes, they are very, very dark. I noticed that immediately. GBC games are dark. Not unplayably dark by any means... but dark.

And not a dark you can fix with a lighting device. All a light does is light up the black areas... because its not a lighting problem! Its a problem that the GBA color palet is bad for GBC games and just shows up ... dark!

Now maybe the GBA-SP light helps there, but I can't imagine that it suddenly makes those dark to black textures appear... it'll just light up the dimness a bit better.

Honestly... for GBC games I think I'll stick to my GBC.

Now as for original GB games, they look just fine... they look EXACTLY the same on GBA as they did on GBC. Why couldn't they have done that for GBC games too? It makes no sense...

A few new details on the GBA successor - OB1 - 14th July 2003

The GBA screen is a lot darker than the GBC screen. That was fixed with the SP, and I'm not even talking about the light.

Then why do classic GB games look just fine, with what appears to be the same color pallet as the GBC (as the default)?

The Gameboy used four shades of grey. GBC games look bad on the original GBA because of the system's dark screen. The GBC's screen is brighter than the GB's screen, and the SP's screen is brighter than the GBA's screen. So all Gameboy games look great on an SP.

Uh, did that make any sense?

It doesn't explain the part about how original GB games don't suffer any darkness or color loss problems at all, unlike GBC or GB/GBC games.

It's most likely because the original Gameboy games are black and white, which is easier to see on low or high contrast screens, while the GBC games were made especially with the bright GBC screen in mind and most colors are more sensitive to different contrasts. Or something, I dunno. All I know is that GBC games look better on SP's than they do on regular GBA's.

Maybe... I don't know.

Oh, and some games look really cool in screen-stretch mode.

ok.

Gradius: The Interstellar Assult is such a great game. And it looks cool stretched, too.

ok...

Oh aren't you being a great contributor to this discussion now...

not really...

Don't mind him. Most here find the wide screen mode on the GBA useless. Well, me included. But I can see how some people would like it anyway. Bad grammar? Yes, but I don't care about grammar!

AhHA!!

Damn hypocrite...

Its called "joking with you", OB1...

Well duh! I'm not a grammar person at all.

Even ABF could tell it was a frickin' joke. How can I be a hypocrite when I never really was a grammar rodio person in the first place?

Wait, I think you are joking now...

A few new details on the GBA successor - Great Rumbler - 15th July 2003

mY's grammor iz allwiaze bettar then yor"z!!1

A few new details on the GBA successor - A Black Falcon - 15th July 2003

Well I knew for sure it was a joke because you were talking about it in MSN and said how you like to sometimes 'debate' for no reason and weren't being serious here... which kind of made me know it was a joke. :)

A few new details on the GBA successor - OB1 - 15th July 2003

Of course I knew that was a joke, which is why I used such large font.

Well if we all know its a joke, why make an "issue" out of it?

Out of what?

DJ is joking. OB1 is joking. Yet they keep arguing... :)

A few new details on the GBA successor - Dark Jaguar - 15th July 2003

Looks more like ABF and OB1 are arguing to me. I stopped responding to him yesterday.

Except we aren't really arguing...

A few new details on the GBA successor - Weltall - 15th July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Wow, replacing the batteries twice a week? How much do you USE the thing? I think I've only had to replace GB batteries twice a week several times in my whole life...

Oh, and I don't pay for batteries. My parents buy them for me...

Oh, and I've never seen the need to use any kind of lighting device in lit rooms.

Now... as for GBC games. Yes, they are very, very dark. I noticed that immediately. GBC games are dark. Not unplayably dark by any means... but dark.

And not a dark you can fix with a lighting device. All a light does is light up the black areas... because its not a lighting problem! Its a problem that the GBA color palet is bad for GBC games and just shows up ... dark!

Now maybe the GBA-SP light helps there, but I can't imagine that it suddenly makes those dark to black textures appear... it'll just light up the dimness a bit better.

Honestly... for GBC games I think I'll stick to my GBC.

Now as for original GB games, they look just fine... they look EXACTLY the same on GBA as they did on GBC. Why couldn't they have done that for GBC games too? It makes no sense...

Spoken like a true SP-virgin.

Amen to that, bubba. I'd love to see the look on his face when he finally gets a good, long look at an SP. Although he'd never admit to us that it was great since that would be admitting that he was wrong, and that would just be cuh-raaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!!

I've seen SPs in store demo stands, but that's not really the same... but I just don't see how a light would make such a dramatic difference. I don't have any problems with the brightness of the GBA except for its problems with GBC games.

It makes a huuuuuge difference, trust me.

A few new details on the GBA successor - Weltall - 15th July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I've seen SPs in store demo stands, but that's not really the same... but I just don't see how a light would make such a dramatic difference. I don't have any problems with the brightness of the GBA except for its problems with GBC games.

Of course you won't see a dramatic difference at a demo-stand in the middle of a very well-lit retail store.

You need to take it into a den or bedroom at night. THEN you will experience the epiphany.

See, in my bedroom, I have a "light" over my bed that illuminates the area...

Have you tried playing Circle of the Moon yet? Do that and then come back to us.

My cousin has COTM for his (standard) GBA and says its pretty dark and you need to be under a light, but I haven't played it myself.

I can't wait until you do. And several other early GBA games have the same problem as CotM.

A few new details on the GBA successor - big guy - 15th July 2003

so i was thinking that the next GBA should have a click stick...

yeah, that'd be cool.