Tendo City
Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss (/showthread.php?tid=827)

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Nintendarse - 3rd July 2003

I'm suprised nobody has brought this up yet, seeing as it was a full-page headline of the New York Times. To start off, I'll quote the article:

Quote:JUSTICES, 6-3, LEGALIZE GAY SEXUAL CONDUCT IN SWEEPING REVERSAL OF COURTS '86 RULING

Cite Privacy Right

Texas Sodomy Law Held Unconstitutional- Scathing Dissent

Linda Greenhouse

WASHINGTON, June 26 — The Supreme Court issued a sweeping declaration of constitutional liberty for gay men and lesbians today, overruling a Texas sodomy law in the broadest possible terms and effectively apologizing for a contrary 1986 decision that the majority said "demeans the lives of homosexual persons." The vote was 6 to 3.

Gays are "entitled to respect for their private lives," Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said for the court. "The state cannot demean their existence or control their destiny by making their private sexual conduct a crime."

Justice Kennedy said further that "adults may choose to enter upon this relationship in the confines of their homes and their own private lives and still retain their dignity as free persons."

While the result had been widely anticipated since the court agreed in December to hear an appeal brought by two Houston men who were prosecuted for having sex in their home, few people on either side of the case expected a decision of such scope from a court that only 17 years ago, in Bowers v. Hardwick, had dismissed the same constitutional argument as "facetious." The court overturned that precedent today.

In a scathing dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia accused the court of having "taken sides in the culture war" and having "largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda." He said that the decision "effectively decrees the end of all morals legislation" and made same-sex marriage, which the majority opinion did not discuss, a logical if not inevitable next step. Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justice Clarence Thomas signed Justice Scalia's dissent.

While some gay rights lawyers said that there were still abundant legal obstacles to establishing a right either to gay marriage or to military service by gay soldiers, there was no doubt that the decision had profound legal and political implications. A conservative Supreme Court has now identified the gay rights cause as a basic civil rights issue.

Ruth Harlow, legal director of the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund and the lead counsel for the two men, John G. Lawrence and Tyron Garner, called the decision "historic and transformative." Suzanne Goldberg, a professor at Rutgers Law School who had represented the men in the Texas courts, said that the decision would affect "every kind of case" involving gay people, including employment, child custody and visitation, and adoption.

"It removes the reflexive assumption of gay people's inferiority," Professor Goldberg said. "Bowers took away the humanity of gay people, and this decision gives it back."

The vote to overturn Bowers v. Hardwick was 5 to 4, with Justice Kennedy joined by Justices John Paul Stevens, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

"Bowers was not correct when it was decided, and it is not correct today," Justice Kennedy said. "Its continuance as precedent demeans the lives of homosexual persons."

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who was part of the 5-to-4 majority in Bowers v. Hardwick, did not join Justice Kennedy in overruling it. But she provided the sixth vote for overturning the Texas sodomy law in a forcefully written separate opinion that attacked the law on equal protection grounds because it made "deviate sexual intercourse" — oral or anal sex — a crime only between same-sex couples and not for heterosexuals.

"A law branding one class of persons as criminal solely based on the state's moral disapproval of that class and the conduct association with that class runs contrary to the values of the Constitution and the Equal Protection Clause," Justice O'Connor said.

Texas was one of only four states — Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri are the others — to apply a criminal sodomy law exclusively to same-sex partners. An additional nine states — Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah and Virginia — have criminal sodomy laws on their books that in theory, if not in practice, apply to opposite-sex couples as well. As a result of the majority's broad declaration today that the government cannot make this kind of private sexual choice a crime, all those laws are now invalid...

Comment at will...

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Weltall - 3rd July 2003

Quote: "A law branding one class of persons as criminal solely based on the state's moral disapproval of that class and the conduct association with that class runs contrary to the values of the Constitution and the Equal Protection Clause," Justice O'Connor said.

Bullshit. There are quite a number of 'classes' of people that are considered criminals because of moral disapproval of their behavior. See: Child molesters, murderers, drug users, zoophiliacs, arsonists, rapists, terrorists, etc. Should we legalize everything?

I hope there are better reasons than that to justify this decision.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd July 2003

However, unlike child molesters, murderers, zoophiliacs, arsonists, rapists, and terrorists, homosexuals aren't harming anyone. This case was about the activity conducted between two consenting homosexual adults in private, which, I believe, you said that you tolerate.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - OB1 - 3rd July 2003

Homosexuals should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they're not harming anyone. Two consenting adults should have the right to have sex with each other, regardless of gender. Now I may not think that homosexuality is right or natural, but they're not harming anyone by having sex with each other. Now marriage on the other hand, that's a seperate issue.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - EdenMaster - 3rd July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Now marriage on the other hand, that's a seperate issue.

How so? That doesn't hurt anyone either.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Dark Lord Neo - 3rd July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by EdenMaster
How so? That doesn't hurt anyone either.

There is nothing wrong with them getting married. As Eden said it doesn't hurt anyone else, and don't give my that crap about how it makes heterosexual marriges less valid because it doesn't, and it doesn't take any rights away from heterosexual couples it just gives homosexual couples the same rights.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - A Black Falcon - 3rd July 2003

But it causes irrevocable harm to the moral fiber of our nation and destroys the values that keep our society from devolving into permanant sin!

I'm not so much concerned about what gays like to do in their own bedrooms. But I don't like the idea of gays marrying. I don't like the idea that deviant behavior like that can be rewarded in such a way.

Sure, my objections are moral, and of course in the liberal mindset morals are relative and everything is acceptable. We should tolerate everyone, regardless of what they do. Exceptions to this are Christians, conservatives, and rich people. Those people deserve to be discriminated against.

You seem to think that not following your extremely strict moral code means that we don't have a moral line... that is obviously not true! Its just not as strict and unbendingly harsh as your is...

The only arguement against gay marriage is religious hatred. And that just shouldn't be a decent arguement in civilized society.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
You seem to think that not following your extremely strict moral code means that we don't have a moral line... that is obviously not true! Its just not as strict and unbendingly harsh as your is...

The only arguement against gay marriage is religious hatred. And that just shouldn't be a decent arguement in civilized society.

Jeez, you sound as though I'm a frickin Ayatollah.

The Religous Christian Right and the Religious Islamic Right only differ in which side they hate, really.

The Religous Christian Right and the Religious Islamic Right only differ in which side they hate, really.

Well that and the whole terrorism and despo-totalitarianism stuff. But hey, who cares about little details, hmm?

The Antireligious Left has their hatred too, in the form of race and class warfare, which is considerably more dangerous than religious moralism.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Geno - 4th July 2003

I don't like the concept of homosexuality but, like others, I'd have to say that I could care less what homosexuals do in private so long as it isn't hurting anyone. If they want to get married and have sex, so be it. However, I don't think they deserve special rights. For example, in cities where it's illegal to have sex before marriage, that law should apply to both heterosexuals and homosexuals. We need to be fair to the heteros too, after all. What I don't want to see is headlines such as "BOSS IS SUED FOR FIRING GAY EMPLOYEE". I'm not homophobic, but homosexuals who constantly whine that everyone who doesn't treat them like Buddha is discriminating against them for being gay really get on my nerves. However, I'm sure there are homosexuals who don't act like that and just want to live normal lives, except with a partner of their own gender. To me, that's fine, it's their choice of lifestyle, but they shouldn't expect me to participate in it.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - OB1 - 4th July 2003

That's illegal in some states?? That's something that individuals need to decide for themselves.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Nintendarse - 4th July 2003

I agree, Geno, under one condition: just as there are going to be homosexuals that take advantage of equal rights (no descrimination in employment), there are going to be bosses that really do descriminate. It would be unfair for the government to be looking out for one form of misconduct over another.

Weltall, I certainly don't understand your logic. First, you say it's okay for something to happen, but then say it's still not right to do it. All of your statements seem to indicate an assumption that not everyone here agrees with: homosexuality is inherently a negative thing, just like child molestation, murder, arson, and terrorism. Society decides that these things are bad, and so they are bad. I happen to disagree with this method. It has allowed the society-wide acceptance of slavery, which assumes that African Americans are inherently worth less. I prefer a more universal explanation of morals. You can dismiss it as relativism, but it has convinced me. Within relativism, I have found moral clarity.

This philosphy hinges on a nearly absolutist rule within relativism: The one and only morally wrong thing to do is to intrude upon a subject's right. Therefore, if there is no interference of rights, there is no moral wrongdoing. If subject A throws his hand through the air, his right to swing his hand does not interfere with any other subjects' rights. Meanwhile, subject B is standing, breathing in another room. Subject B's right to stand and breath does not interfere with any other subjects' rights. But when you put subject A and subject B together in the same room, there is an interference of rights. It is up to the society to decide which right has precedence: the right to physical integrity or the right to freedom of movement. Our law has decided that, when in conflict, the right to physical integrity has precendence over the right of free movement.

Many of society's moral standards can be explained in this manner. If you think this is absolutely ridiculous, point out why and I will try to defend it.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Weltall - 4th July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Nintendarse
I agree, Geno, under one condition: just as there are going to be homosexuals that take advantage of equal rights (no descrimination in employment), there are going to be bosses that really do descriminate. It would be unfair for the government to be looking out for one form of misconduct over another.

Weltall, I certainly don't understand your logic. First, you say it's okay for something to happen, but then say it's still not right to do it. All of your statements seem to indicate an assumption that not everyone here agrees with: homosexuality is inherently a negative thing, just like child molestation, murder, arson, and terrorism. Society decides that these things are bad, and so they are bad. I happen to disagree with this method. It has allowed the society-wide acceptance of slavery, which assumes that African Americans are inherently worth less. I prefer a more universal explanation of morals. You can dismiss it as relativism, but it has convinced me. Within relativism, I have found moral clarity.

This philosphy hinges on a nearly absolutist rule within relativism: The one and only morally wrong thing to do is to intrude upon a subject's right. Therefore, if there is no interference of rights, there is no moral wrongdoing. If subject A throws his hand through the air, his right to swing his hand does not interfere with any other subjects' rights. Meanwhile, subject B is standing, breathing in another room. Subject B's right to stand and breath does not interfere with any other subjects' rights. But when you put subject A and subject B together in the same room, there is an interference of rights. It is up to the society to decide which right has precedence: the right to physical integrity or the right to freedom of movement. Our law has decided that, when in conflict, the right to physical integrity has precendence over the right of free movement.

Many of society's moral standards can be explained in this manner. If you think this is absolutely ridiculous, point out why and I will try to defend it.

Society does determine what is right and what is wrong. That is the very basis of law. If morality were determined solely by the individual, then essentially anything could be moral, and anyone could justify anything simply by claiming their personal morality. There are inherent problems with that. Perhaps you have heard of NAMBLA? That is essentially the claim they make: What they do (promoting gay sex between children and adults) is moral because they don't think there's anything wrong with it. Yet, society disagrees, with good reason.

Social morality has been a part of human civilization since the very beginning. It has been responsible for some bad things, the Crusades and slavery being two examples, but it has also been an integral part of social fabric and civilizational advance.

If you want to see where moral relativism takes place, you need only look at whatever lawless third-world nation you choose... Africa's got quite a few. Everyone has their own morals because there is no society, and because of that the strong can and do impose their morals over the weak, because who will stop them? In contrast, civilized nations of the world, for the most part, practice social morality in some fashion, and as a result, have a much stronger and rich society. Moral relativism is something that should only exist where there is no society. To want to dismantle social morality and artificially create a moral vacuum is, as you put it, absolutely ridiculous. It is such an atmosphere where immorality such as gay marriage can be forced on a society that does not approve of it.

Also, a boss can't discriminate against a gay person if they don't know he or she is gay.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Dark Lord Neo - 4th July 2003

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030702/bs_afp/us_gay_walmart_030702233210

Wierd. I didn't know Wal-Mart had a problem with homosexuals. At least five various managers at my store in the last two years were gay.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - A Black Falcon - 4th July 2003

Quote:Also, a boss can't discriminate against a gay person if they don't know he or she is gay.

It is perfectly legal in the US to fire people, evict them from apartments, or do anything else along that line to someone because they are gay. Sexuality is NOT in the list of things which are llegal to fire people for (religion, race, gender, etc), quite unfortunately...

Quote:Society does determine what is right and what is wrong. That is the very basis of law. If morality were determined solely by the individual, then essentially anything could be moral, and anyone could justify anything simply by claiming their personal morality. There are inherent problems with that. Perhaps you have heard of NAMBLA? That is essentially the claim they make: What they do (promoting gay sex between children and adults) is moral because they don't think there's anything wrong with it. Yet, society disagrees, with good reason.

Yeah, morals in a society are made by the people in that society.

For example, in ancient Greece man-boy love wasn't just accepted, it was a major part of their culture... and somehow I think they were somewhat successful?

Quote:If you want to see where moral relativism takes place, you need only look at whatever lawless third-world nation you choose... Africa's got quite a few. Everyone has their own morals because there is no society, and because of that the strong can and do impose their morals over the weak, because who will stop them? In contrast, civilized nations of the world, for the most part, practice social morality in some fashion, and as a result, have a much stronger and rich society. Moral relativism is something that should only exist where there is no society. To want to dismantle social morality and artificially create a moral vacuum is, as you put it, absolutely ridiculous. It is such an atmosphere where immorality such as gay marriage can be forced on a society that does not approve of it.

You are confusing moral relativism with lack of state security or functioning government. Crucial difference there.

It is perfectly legal in the US to fire people, evict them from apartments, or do anything else along that line to someone because they are gay. Sexuality is NOT in the list of things which are llegal to fire people for (religion, race, gender, etc), quite unfortunately...

No, I mean an employer can't fire a gay person for being gay if they don't know that the person is gay. Usually you cannot tell without asking. It's not like skin color.

Quote:Yeah, morals in a society are made by the people in that society.

For example, in ancient Greece man-boy love wasn't just accepted, it was a major part of their culture... and somehow I think they were somewhat successful?

Until their society collapsed and outsiders took over, yes.

Quote:You are confusing moral relativism with lack of state security or functioning government. Crucial difference there.

No, I am saying that moral relativism is what happens when there is no society. And there usually isn't much of a society when there is no functioning government or security.

I'm also saying that moral relativism should be vehemently discouraged in a strong society, and that those who advocate it usually do so in order to legally perpetuate activities that society finds harmful or distasteful. When society fails to set moral standards, moral standards cease to exist, and society itself follows.

Quote:No, I mean an employer can't fire a gay person for being gay if they don't know that the person is gay. Usually you cannot tell without asking. It's not like skin color.

So to avoid being fired gay people should live in fear of anyone ever discovering that they are gay (because they'll be fired and quite possibly kicked out of their apartment)? Yeah, that sounds just great!

Quote:Until their society collapsed and outsiders took over, yes.

Sure, like every civilization it eventually collapsed... but not before becoming one of the greatest in world history up to that time... in the sciences and in philosophy, for sure, they were amazing...

Quote:No, I am saying that moral relativism is what happens when there is no society. And there usually isn't much of a society when there is no functioning government or security.

I'm also saying that moral relativism should be vehemently discouraged in a strong society, and that those who advocate it usually do so in order to legally perpetuate activities that society finds harmful or distasteful. When society fails to set moral standards, moral standards cease to exist, and society itself follows.

Yeah, when given no laws people revert to a more violent state, and there generally is a reign of terror. That proves the need for laws, that's for sure.

But laws can go too far.

[B]So to avoid being fired gay people should live in fear of anyone ever discovering that they are gay (because they'll be fired and quite possibly kicked out of their apartment)? Yeah, that sounds just great!

Life in fear? How about "Keep your sex life to yourself because it's no one else's business".

Or do you think people should make a habit of telling everyone what they do in the privacy of their own bedrooms?

Seriously, do you ever even think about what you type? Or do you willfully instigate the hate-speech? You're telling me that if a gay man acts at work the same way I do, he's living in fear?

Seriously, the nonsense you come out with makes me want to scream bloody murder sometimes.

Quote:Sure, like every civilization it eventually collapsed... but not before becoming one of the greatest in world history up to that time... in the sciences and in philosophy, for sure, they were amazing...

And you're trying to tell me that man-boy sex, as a "major" part of Greek culture, is responsible for this?

Hell, by your logic we should re-introduce slavery, since empires who practiced that fun little activity also coincidentally happened to be at the forefront of civilization!

Quote:And you're trying to tell me that man-boy sex, as a "major" part of Greek culture, is responsible for this?

Hell, by your logic we should re-introduce slavery, since empires who practiced that fun little activity also coincidentally happened to be at the forefront of civilization!

No, of course not. All I'm trying to say is that morality IS relative, to a point. Some things CAN be wrong that a society sees as bad... things that hurt others. Such as human sacrifice or slavery... but something that is purely a moral issue like that? No.

Quote:Life in fear? How about "Keep your sex life to yourself because it's no one else's business".

Or do you think people should make a habit of telling everyone what they do in the privacy of their own bedrooms?

Seriously, do you ever even think about what you type? Or do you willfully instigate the hate-speech? You're telling me that if a gay man acts at work the same way I do, he's living in fear?

Seriously, the nonsense you come out with makes me want to scream bloody murder sometimes.

Whether you mean it or not, telling homosexuals that they MUST stay in the closet or they will have major reppucussions is absurd and should be illegal. Its blackmail, really... forcing people to act one way just so they don't be kicked out by the paranoid society. That is absolutely wrong for issues such as this.

Its not "not telling people what happens in their own bedrooms"... that should be private, normally. But homosexuality doesn't mean that, not even close... its not like homosexuals have to have (or have had) a sexual partner to be found out as homosexuals and fired or whatever...

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Weltall - 5th July 2003

No, of course not. All I'm trying to say is that morality IS relative, to a point. Some things CAN be wrong that a society sees as bad... things that hurt others. Such as human sacrifice or slavery... but something that is purely a moral issue like that? No.

...Sex with children is definitely not a purely moral issue. And besides which, just because it doesn't cause physical harm to someone doesn't mean it should be legal. I mean, does it physically harm someone to see a person walking naked down the street? No. But it's still illegal to do. Should we legalize that activity on that basis? Or let's take it a step farther by allowing public masturbation. That doesn't cause any physical pain. Hell, why not go all out and allow full-blown public sex? Full-blown public ANIMAL sex? It's not hurting anyone! Anyone, except for young children, who would see such a thing and do their damnest to emulate it, like children always do. Obviously, that's not a healthy environment.

Quote:Whether you mean it or not, telling homosexuals that they MUST stay in the closet or they will have major reppucussions is absurd and should be illegal. Its blackmail, really... forcing people to act one way just so they don't be kicked out by the paranoid society. That is absolutely wrong for issues such as this.

Its not "not telling people what happens in their own bedrooms"... that should be private, normally. But homosexuality doesn't mean that, not even close... its not like homosexuals have to have (or have had) a sexual partner to be found out as homosexuals and fired or whatever...

I fail to see the difference. I think anyone, regardless of their sexual preference, deserves whatever consequences that come with revealing your sexual behavior should that person make a decision to do so. Gay or straight, it's nothing but a distraction in the workplace and should be supressed. It's not an idea born from fear or hate, but of mere decency.

You're right. It's not like gays have to even BE gay to be fired for being gay. The employer doesn't know what's going on in their private bedroom. If a particular employer really has a hatred for gays and would fire one if he discovered one (and I really think that particular brand of thinking is in the minority)
it goes without saying that this person would likely have fired people for even the suspicion of being gay, meaning that there are probably as many heterosexuals fired for being 'gay'. Obviously, a person isn't going to overtly fire someone for being gay, if they really want a particular person canned for whatever reason, they will FIND a reason to do it. How is any sort of law supposed to stop a practice that is almost completely a unilateral decision anyway? And then there is the adverse effect of anti gay-discrimination laws: How many people will use this as a basis for a lawsuit when they are fired, even if it was for a perfectly legitimate reason? What will stop a person from claiming discrimination? You already see it happening all the time on racial issues and it's disgusting... incompetent people claiming to be fired just for being black. And even though it's almost never true, the minority always gets the benefit of the doubt and that makes the employer afraid to fire particular people for ANY reason. Now imagine how the problem will be compounded when the trait in question can't be detected as easily as skin color...

This particular can of worms has more consequences than it's worth, really. It may help true discrimination victims, but it will also put employers in a state of fear that they currently experience with racial issues. And then you have the fact that without being told by a person yourself, it's very hard in most cases to tell if a person is gay. Therefore, if there is some evil employer who likes firing gays, he'll fire people who might not be gay but he thinks is. How will discrimination laws protect them? What if they did? What if ANYONE could claim discrimination as an anathema for getting fired?

Given these very real possibilities, I think the 'keeping personal business personal' practice is a much better alternative in many ways.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - alien space marine - 7th July 2003

in canada's capital a Phycho did just that , driving around nude masturbating to woman that went by. He was arrested for the usual inapropriate exposure and Disturbing the peace.

They had a battle in Toronto on weither woman should be abled to go topless like the men,But to be honnest their is limits for good reason, having topless woman would be like having Martygraw 24/7, I could imagine Rape and Perversion going around big time. The Arguement that men do it why cant we, The thing is men dont got Boobs atleast not most of us and maybe they have a point that men running around bare brested should be stoped too as it is disgusting.

But going back to the gays if they want to Sodomize themselves go right ahead just do it in private not in public, If gay people get arrested for sexual acts in public like having sex on the beach tough, Hetrosexuals can be charged for doing the same thing.

I am tired of whining idiots who get fired and then blaime it on racism or Homophobia and sexism, While it does exist and is bad its not always the case, and dont forget employers can fire you for just looking at them cock eyed so in reality just get another job.It pissed me off this woman sued the police academy for failing her and her intructor simpily said that they were not sexist and her marks were to poor to give a passing grade.

As for beastilty which can spread deseases and infact was why HIV ,herpies,genital warts all came from.Its why Animal rape should be punnished severely. Incest is usally rape in most cases and it can cause Birth defects.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Dark Lord Neo - 7th July 2003

Women going topless in public is an equality issue though. Why must they have tops and not men?
I know guys with chests bigger than some of the girls I know but they don't have to wear tops.
We are taught from a young age that women's breasts are sexual, but if we were to see them all the time from a young age we would not find them so sexual or contreversial. It's like in the 30's when it was considered inapropriate for a woman to show any of her leg above the knee, and men considered it sexual if they were to reveal this area, but now we don't think twice about cloths that reveal much more than that

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Lord Neo
Women going topless in public is an equality issue though. Why must they have tops and not men?
I know guys with chests bigger than some of the girls I know but they don't have to wear tops.
We are taught from a young age that women's breasts are sexual, but if we were to see them all the time from a young age we would not find them so sexual or contreversial. It's like in the 30's when it was considered inapropriate for a woman to show any of her leg above the knee, and men considered it sexual if they were to reveal this area, but now we don't think twice about cloths that reveal much more than that

Neo do you honnestly believe in todays age Topless girls would be like it is some parts of africa?I think not , A Husband or Boy freind will feel unsafe their Mate is running around half naked for other men to see.Sure Somtimes its nice to see some Jugs but I think responsibility needs to be thought of.

besides go to topless beaches or join a nudist colony.

May I add who is to say men can go topless everywhere either? I certainly couldnt go bare breast at work or school.

As for the 30's people had stronger Moral basis then they do now,To me what happened is Moral decay.Now I agree some of those 30's dress codes were some what strict.

Breast are Sexual sorry but if it wornt true majority of cultures wouldnt have made it wrong to not ware a top.Otherwise if that ever happens we may has well freely show are genitals as well.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Weltall - 7th July 2003

It's not an issue of equality. Most places of business will not allow shirtless men inside either, "No shirt, No Shoes, no service". Most women don't want to go around topless anyway, as that causes sag. Those that DO want to go around topless are only trying to make a scene.

Generally, I agree with ASM.

They should have the option to go that way in areas where men can.
Do personally want them too?No most of the women who choose to do this in places where it is legal are ugly or as you guys said trying to make a scene. Would I want my girlfriend or wife wandering around that way? Probably not. But I still think they should have the option

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Weltall - 7th July 2003

They should have the option to go that way in areas where men can.
Do personally want them too?No most of the women who choose to do this in places where it is legal are ugly or as you guys said trying to make a scene. Would I want my girlfriend or wife wandering around that way? Probably not. But I still think they should have the option

Then I should be able to walk around with my wang swinging free.

Ive seen that once , it scared the shit out of me.

Quote:Originally posted by Weltall
Then I should be able to walk around with my wang swinging free.

Only if girls could also expose their pussy

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Weltall - 8th July 2003

Only if girls could also expose their pussy

That sounds nice, until you remember that it also allows Grandma McCrustycunt to expose hers as well.

Besides, if you see it all the time, it loses it's fun and appeal.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - alien space marine - 8th July 2003

I went to mexico and Saw half a dozen sugar mamas going topless and I can say is suicide never felt better.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Dark Jaguar - 8th July 2003

Even if one disagrees with it, leaving this legal would be pretty much the same as leaving lieing legal for them, and they could think of it that way. In hiring, if one disagrees with it, might as well think of it the same was as a religion. It pretty much is after all, and so long as it doesn't involve poisoning the customers, don't worry about it.

Regarding marriage, I'll say I disagree with government recognized gay marriage, but allow me to state I disagree with government recognized marriage period. Weird thing indeed, but I feel that there are far too many people marrying because it's legally convinient. Perhaps if people married because they truly wished to be joined (only recognized by their church, and being a church, it can decide who to and who not to marry at it's own discression), without any legal perks, then people might think a little more about doing it. Maybe if they had to pay the same taxes in the marriage, they'd not have that incentive and ONLY the love would be their encouragement. I haven't worked out all the details of this, for instance, divorce and who would manage the property there. Also, I'm afraid an entire constitutional right would be made null and void, the right to not testify against one's spouse (since a spouse is no longer legally recognized, out the window that goes). Perhaps I am hasty in this idea, eh... In any case, marriage is a tricky subject anyway. Humans do seem genetically designed for the very pengiun like life mate thing (or we never would have even come up with the whole marriage idea), and at the same time genetically designed to fail at it. Hmm, am I babbling? I'm babbling... Anyway, on second thought, ignore this whole misbegotten word block I jokingly call a "paragraph".

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - alien space marine - 8th July 2003

that made no sense.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Nintendarse - 10th July 2003

The idea of the legal marriage in addition to the religious marriage is to give authority to the people responsible. If the spouse is in the hospital, who should have to make the important decisions for the injured person: her mother or her spouse? The idea of a legal spouse says: it is the spouse that should make those decisions. Unfortunately, there are some people that are not responsible when the the state asks them to be, as is the case with golddiggers.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2003

Quote: that made no sense.

DJ has ... issues ... with that problem.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - alien space marine - 14th July 2003

I see....
Erm

by getting back to this subject I think one of your states just legalized gay marriage.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Nintendarse - 16th July 2003

Here we go...

Quote: Weltall:

Society does determine what is right and what is wrong.

I fundamentally disagree. At face value, this seems like a logical statement, but after looking at all the repercussions of this, I realized that to say that society determines what is right and what is wrong means that society is always right. And if you look at all the world's societies at any singular point in time, that is to say that incest, slavery, wife burning, witch burning, and genocide are all right within their respective times and societies. I do not agree with this principle, and I don't think you agree with it either.

Quote:If morality were determined solely by the individual, then essentially anything could be moral, and anyone could justify anything simply by claiming their personal morality.

I guess I didn't explain the philosophy well enough. I do not agree with the form of relativism that says that the individual is the determinant of morality. Through relativism, I hoped to find objectivism. What's important to note is that when you embody any person, their actions are justified in some way, whether it be conscious or subconscious. And that's an encouraging thought. But just because every action is individually justified, does that make it objectively right? ABSOLUTELY NOT. After all, even the actions of a cold-blooded murderer are individually justified.

So if society nor the individual decides what is right and what is wrong, what do we have to go on? Objectivity. We remove ourselves from all individuals, all societies, and ask, "What is wrong and what is right?" Objectively, the individual cannot do wrong without breaching protected rights. After all, unless the society values the physical integrity of air above the right of a person to move freely, what reasonable person is going to say that a man who swings his fist in the air is doing something wrong? This is where society steps in. We ask the society/law, "What are the protected rights?" Physical integrity is one of them in our society. It is only when the man's fist interferes with someone's physical integrity that society must make a decision: "When in conflict, which do we value more?" Our society chooses physical integrity. The key is, "When in conflict." Without a conflict, there is no wrongdoing.

Within this structure, there are interesting/complicated ways to deal with things like being naked in a public place. Obviously, this structure asserts that being naked is not inherently bad. It is when being naked conflicts with another protected right that we must ask ourselves which is more valuable.

This issue is difficult because it deals with the complicated nature of speech. Being naked in public can be a form of speech. In this case, our society has decided that being naked in public is classified as the "innappropriate" form of speech that causes danger to others such as yelling, "Fire!" in a movie theatre.

Quote:Social morality has been a part of human civilization since the very beginning. It has been responsible for some bad things, the Crusades and slavery being two examples, but it has also been an integral part of social fabric and civilizational advance.

As I thought, you agree with me that society can be wrong, which means that you don't really believe that society decides what is wrong and right. In general, I agree with you. Social morality has been pretty good for humanity. It's been pretty accurate to model objective morality. What I'm suggesting is that there is a more accurate model of morality. Is the model I propose this more accurate model? I don't know, probably not. It needs more refinement, certainly more study. The idea I have is that the more accurate model of morality is based upon objectivity.

Quote:If you want to see where moral relativism takes place, you need only look at whatever lawless third-world nation you choose... Africa's got quite a few. Everyone has their own morals because there is no society, and because of that the strong can and do impose their morals over the weak, because who will stop them? In contrast, civilized nations of the world, for the most part, practice social morality in some fashion, and as a result, have a much stronger and rich society. Moral relativism is something that should only exist where there is no society. To want to dismantle social morality and artificially create a moral vacuum is, as you put it, absolutely ridiculous. It is such an atmosphere where immorality such as gay marriage can be forced on a society that does not approve of it.

With the first part, I whole-heartedly agree. A moral system based upon society is more accurate than a moral system based upon the individual. If I had explained my theory better, I think it would be quite clear that it IS NOT relativism. Not only is the opinion of the individual irrelevant, but the opinion of the society plays only a secondary role.

In addition, a social morality system is utterly useless when two societies collide. If there is a discrepency in the values of the societies, how can both be right? In fact, one can model the world as a society of societies. The country-sized societies are the individuals, while the world is the common society. I find this global society to be eerily familiar to your disjointed, morally relativistic society, where the strong impose their morals on the weak, and there is nobody to stop them. I guess all I can do is sigh.

On the second part, you are begging the question. How do you define immorality? Is it because society thinks so? I hope it is clear that society's opinion does not define what is objectively right and what is objectively wrong. It is merely a collective opinion. If this debate was occuring just a few decades ago, you would be the person arguing that because society does not agree with interracial relations, interracial marriages should be illegal. You would say, "It is such an atmosphere where immorality such as interracial marriage can be forced on a society that does not approve of it."

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - A Black Falcon - 16th July 2003

Yes, you do have a good point that society is overall good and that nations with order and society aree better places. But that's not the heart of this debate... this is.

Quote:In addition, a social morality system is utterly useless when two societies collide. If there is a discrepency in the values of the societies, how can both be right? In fact, one can model the world as a society of societies. The country-sized societies are the individuals, while the world is the common society. I find this global society to be eerily familiar to your disjointed, morally relativistic society, where the strong impose their morals on the weak, and there is nobody to stop them. I guess all I can do is sigh.

On the second part, you are begging the question. How do you define immorality? Is it because society thinks so? I hope it is clear that society's opinion does not define what is objectively right and what is objectively wrong. It is merely a collective opinion. If this debate was occuring just a few decades ago, you would be the person arguing that because society does not agree with interracial relations, interracial marriages should be illegal. You would say, "It is such an atmosphere where immorality such as interracial marriage can be forced on a society that does not approve of it."

Exactly.

First... Weltall, I see your point that a completely relative society doesn't work. I agreed with that a while back.

Second... that doesn't matter to my point very much. I am not advocating 'anyone can do whatever they want and its okay to society if its okay to them'. That just doesn't work!

What I am saying is that society, while in many aspects good, has flaws that take a long time to correct. Over the course of human history societies have in general slowly improved... devolving sometimes but coming back. That process continues, slowly making the world a better and more moral place to live. The problem of course is determining what is the right changes... but whatever they are some groups will object, like slaveholders to the end of slavery or racists to the end of Jim Crow laws.

Or homophobes to the beginning of the end of anti-homosexual culture in our society.

Now... you will say that this goes too far. And yes some things have gone too far... but you just have to draw a line. ANd as Nintendarse says that should probably be about real harm... societal harm is different -- things taboo because of society are bad now but their status might change in the future. Things taboo because they to actual harm to others should all be not allowed. That should draw a clear line between, say, letting murderers off because they in their mind are convinced they are right and allowing homosexuals to marry because we try to get past society's problems with the issue.

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Nintendarse - 16th July 2003

I hope the moral structure I proposed does not get pidgeonholed into being about "harm," unless harm is to be defined as, "a breach of one's protected rights." Physical integrity is just one of those. So, for example, the right to own property is protected.

Here is a snippet from a Time interview with Ann Coulter:

Quote:Time: What's your take on the Supreme Court's ruling that antisodomy laws are unconstitutional?

Gay sex may well be a mystery of life, but I'll be damned if I can find it in the Constitution.

If you're going to be literal about the constitution and say that the only right as citizens we have are those that are noted in the constitution, heterosexual people can't have sex either.

Quote:I hope the moral structure I proposed does not get pidgeonholed into being about "harm," unless harm is to be defined as, "a breach of one's protected rights." Physical integrity is just one of those. So, for example, the right to own property is protected.

Yeah... that does sound better. I would say that harm isn't just physical... mental and other forms certainly count too.

Oh, and if we had to strictly follow the Constitution, Jefferson would never have been allowed to buy the Louisiana Purchase without a constitutional amendment... :D

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Dark Jaguar - 16th July 2003

What particular part of the constitution prevenst the US from getting more land exactly?

Oh and, one of the biggest amendments of the constitution is the one about the innumerated rights. That is, any rights not listed here are still rights. Kinda open isn't it, but that's how we know we have the right to privacy.

Oh and, we value physical integrity? Um, you mean as a basic principle? I'm not sure anyone does. Americans LOVE explosives for instance, and I don't think anyone thinks it's wrong to destroy stuff unless it's someone else's property.

Quote:What particular part of the constitution prevenst the US from getting more land exactly?

That, actually, was my point.

If we said "the only legal things are the things expressly allowed in the Constitution", not much would be legal... in this example, the Constitution doesn't address the issue either way. So if you are strict and say "only the text is legal, nothing else is", you can't allow that because the constitution doesn't say "The Government can buy land from foreign governments".

Obviously very fast the framers decided that they would not interpret the constituion that way.

Quote:Oh and, we value physical integrity? Um, you mean as a basic principle? I'm not sure anyone does. Americans LOVE explosives for instance, and I don't think anyone thinks it's wrong to destroy stuff unless it's someone else's property.

Sort of... but you couldn't blow up your own house because that's arson, I expect. :) And you'd never get insurance money either...

Oh, and the point is that not everyone values it but its clearly something that we should protect. Just like the "right" to murder people...

Lawrence v. Texas: Discuss - Nintendarse - 17th July 2003

physical integrity=human right to not get punched/kicked/smacked/blown up/chopped in half if you don't want to.