Tendo City
Arnold for Governor - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Arnold for Governor (/showthread.php?tid=816)

Arnold for Governor - Italian_Pyro - 29th June 2003

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Arnold Schwarzenegger is at a crossroads.

Should he continue as filmdom's handsomely paid Terminator or become a Great Communicator as Ronald Reagan did when he gave up playing opposite chimps to make chumps out of his political opponents?

As the Austrian-born actor flits from interview to interview pushing "Terminator 3: The Rise of the Machines," which opens on July 2, the third in the 20-year-old series of movies about machines out to destroy humankind, he demurely declines to deliver a definitive yes or no to the annual question of whether he will say "I'll be back" to his film career or start a new one as a Republican politician.

The plot is simple: As he promotes "Terminator 3," for which he was reportedly paid a whopping $30 million, Arnold is keeping an eye on a Republican-led movement to remove California's unpopular Democratic Governor Gray Davis in a recall.

If enough signatures are gathered by mid-July, the measure could be on the November ballot along with another question: If you recall Davis, who do want to replace him?

Schwarzenegger, who has eyed a political career on and off for years, could quickly mount a campaign and might even win because only a plurality of votes would be needed. Thanks to his fame, he'll go into an election with more name recognition than possible opponents.

"I have heard from both Democrats and Republicans who are close to him that he is definitely interested but 'definitely' in politics is different from 'definitely' in other professions," says one top-level California political player.

"But I think he will do it. His shelf life would be put to the test in a real 18-month-long gubernatorial campaign while in a 90-day-long recall election, he can ride on his name and hope he doesn't get asked any hard questions," the operative added.

FUN SCENARIO

Anyway that's the scenario and that's the one Arnold is having fun with as he drums up publicity for the latest, loudest "Terminator" yet, complete with a female villain who tosses Schwarzenegger from pillar to post.

Ever the perfectionist, Schwarzenegger even put up $1.4 million of his own money to pay for a car chase scene that involves his getting hit with a crane and slammed into a fire truck. The film was over budget until he came to the rescue.

Doing that kind of back-breaking work on a regular basis may be the real reason the man is eyeing the soft life of a politician. But it's not quite like what Ronald Reagan faced as his career dimmed and he wound up playing against a chimp in "Bedtime for Bonzo."

Plus the puns are good. Schwarzenegger can make jokes like "My kids are normal kids. They go to the mall and pass out recall petitions ." Or tell Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" as he did on Thursday that he's going to Iraq to show his film to U.S. troops and "There is no money over there. There's no leadership, pretty much like California."

But talking seriously with a group of journalists the other day, he insisted he isn't thinking about running for governor -- yet. "There is no reality there. There is no recall and I will think about it after promoting 'Terminator' around the world ... and that will take me to the end of July. My mind is not there yet."

Yet when asked by a reporter if a recall movement was not in effect terminating, or at least short-circuiting the democratic process, because an election was held just seven months ago, Schwarzenegger says no.

"There is a question of how the people feel. I think the people feel dissatisfied at what is being done in Sacramento and the way the governor is handling things," he said.

He added jokingly that it might be time for a sequel to another of his famous movies -- "Total Recall."

--------------------------------------------

Someone vote for this man...at least you cant do any worse

Arnold for Governor - N-Man - 29th June 2003

I love it. The man has no plan whatsoever and he's still liked better than his opponents. Ahnold for Gov.

Arnold for Governor - A Black Falcon - 29th June 2003

I very much doubt that even if Davis gets on a recall ballot that he'd lose...

Arnold for Governor - Weltall - 29th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I very much doubt that even if Davis gets on a recall ballot that he'd lose...

His approval rating is what, 13%? Hell, I could probably beat him.

Not in California. :)

What do you mean? Californians like Grayout as much as they like having diarrhea. Smokey the Bear could beat Davis.

Arnold for Governor - Dark Jaguar - 29th June 2003

Well duh, Smokey the Bear should he ever run could beat ANYONE.

Well I bet that in a state as liberal as California Gray Davis can survive...

Oh, and I see you have that quote of mine in your sig. Cute... if you don't know the context people could think exactly as you want them to. :P

Well I bet that in a state as liberal as California Gray Davis can survive...

Oh, and I see you have that quote of mine in your sig. Cute... if you don't know the context people could think exactly as you want them to. :P

I dunno. I hope he doesn't :)

And when you first stated the quoted phrase, I said even then how funny it was hearing you say that.

Of course, I don't think it can really be misinterpreted... you said what you said and there can only be one meaning, I just think you believe the exact opposite of what you say :)

Arnold for Governor - OB1 - 30th June 2003

Oh no, Demolition Man is coming true!*

*In Demolition Man's timeline, Arnold becomes president of the United States sometime in the early 2000's.

Arnold for Governor - A Black Falcon - 30th June 2003

f a n t a s y w o r l d

As I said before, there's just a bit of a difference between stopping the Trollocs and doing what you suggest that quote would mean in the real world?

Like... the one in WOT is actually a threat, maybe?

Arnold for Governor - Darunia - 30th June 2003

Arnold rules... I hope he does run for office soon; I'd vote for him.

Arnold for Governor - Weltall - 1st July 2003

f a n t a s y w o r l d

As I said before, there's just a bit of a difference between stopping the Trollocs and doing what you suggest that quote would mean in the real world?

Like... the one in WOT is actually a threat, maybe?

the people you are defending don't want to believe exists...

As far as quotes go, this has to be the best one you've ever made because you fit it so well!

Arnold for Governor - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

Nice try. But... no. You just can't transfer it like that. It doesn't work.

We have no threats that come anywhere close to that kind of threat. Not even close. Iraq wasn't a threat, as we all know now. Who is a "threat" now? Iran? Not really... North Korea? Only to their own starving people...

We live in the Information Age... where we can see things happening all over the world as they happen. And all that info points to the fact that there are no threats to our world postion. Sure, there are threats out there... Al Quaida, etc... but they won't destroy us, not even close... and as for nations, there are none that could even remotely threaten us.

All the Iraq thing proved is that Bush's preemtive doctrine was a total failure, as the nation he destroyed didn't have any of the things he based the case for war on.

They didn't have them because the sanctions and inspections worked as well as anyone could possibly expect them to. They stopped the weapons program. They made the Iraqis hide or destroy all the evidence of that program. And they kept the program from going anywhere for over a decade. I'd call that a success.

But Bush listened to morons like Rumsfeldt and Wolfowicz, so its no surprise that he went in there and beat up Sadaam...

And I sure love the aftermath of that action. :)

Arnold for Governor - Weltall - 1st July 2003

We'll see. I think all the people giddy over the current lack of results are dancing on a limb that's going to break :)

Arnold for Governor - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

I doubt it. If we find anything, it'll be stuff from before the first Gulf War, like that nuclear thing they found buried in the scientists' yard.

Arnold for Governor - alien space marine - 7th July 2003

did you know Saddam Hussein has a Uranium Tooth Implant?

that must mean he using his tooth to manufactor a tiny nuclear bomb in the hope he will destroy the U.S with his Mullar.

As for Arney.

I would love to see swartschnegger fight Terrorism , "Ok bin Ladin If you havent already seen my movies you will know I will Terminate you with my Big Muscles and catch Phrases.

Astila Vista babby!

Arnold for Governor - Darunia - 7th July 2003

Yet you can't even spell his name right, "astila vista".

Arnold for Governor - OB1 - 7th July 2003

Alta Vista, baby! And lycos!

Arnold for Governor - Darunia - 7th July 2003

lol.