Tendo City
Voices of a Distant Star - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Voices of a Distant Star (/showthread.php?tid=811)

Pages: 1 2 3

Voices of a Distant Star - Great Rumbler - 1st July 2003

Quote:include the potently vile "making up Darunia dialogue",

Potently vile to the sarcastic Xtreme times ten to the power of FUNNY!

Quote:-Did I declare a victory.

No, but it made my dialogue funnier.

Quote:-Why are we putting words in Darunia's mouth to embarass him...?

It's called sarcastic humor.

Quote:is that a fucking crime?

After only seeing ONE series and ONE movie and then refusing to watch any others? Yes.

News Anchor: In the news today Tendocity forum member, Darunia, declared today that he was angry about fellow forum member Great Rumbler's use of sarcastic humor, in one of his posts, to make fun of him. Great Rumbler stated in a press release today that "If Darunia cannot understand my use of sarcasm that he can just set his pants on fire and sell his house to weasels, for all I care." Darunia was later seen running, on fire, down Seventh street in his home town screaming "Dear God, this fire is hot!" We have recieved reports claiming that Darunia's house has become infested by a family weasels, but we cannot comfirm those reports at this time.

Voices of a Distant Star - Darunia - 1st July 2003

So basically, that all boils down to you flamboyantly writing trash about me because it's funny...in other words, harassing me for the simple sake of harassing me. Yes; the true intellectual...the truely enlightened person, who believes in world peace, hates racism, and wants harmony...that is right. He is harassing for the sake of deriving sadistic pleasure from hurting another. You sir are the nazi.

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

anime = stupid even though the only real anime series I've watched I liked.

That is what you are saying.

Can you blame us for finding that statement incredibly dumb?

Voices of a Distant Star - Undertow - 1st July 2003

I think they do it because they know it bothers you. People used to give me crap to watch me squirm before I became apathetic about the issue.

On the subject, i'm not too hot on anime either. It's the art style, for some reason it just bothers me. But, BUT, whether or not I *like* anime is subjective...I think people have things called 'opinions' and the god given right to excercise such a right.

Don't be a haytah.

Quote:So basically, that all boils down to you flamboyantly writing trash about me because it's funny...in other words, harassing me for the simple sake of harassing me. Yes; the true intellectual...the truely enlightened person, who believes in world peace, hates racism, and wants harmony...that is right. He is harassing for the sake of deriving sadistic pleasure from hurting another. You sir are the nazi.

Two words: Calm down. Okay, so I made fun of you. So what? I make fun of EVERYONE! I do it because I enjoy making humorous and/or sarcastic remarks. My "Darunia dialogue" which you said was "potently vile" was NOT-TO-BE-TAKEN-SERIOUSLY!! Good grief, man! Learn to laugh at yourself a little! It isn't that hard!

Quote:You sir are the nazi.

Well...I am part German. *looks around* What? Is there something on my face? It's a spider isn't it?! ACK! Get it off!!

And just for the record I never once said or even suggested that you were a Nazi.

Quote:On the subject, i'm not too hot on anime either. It's the art style, for some reason it just bothers me.

As much as I don't like that, I'm willing to accept it. Partly because you are a newbie and I haven't had time to develop a dislike of you [I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!], but mainly because you at least tried to present it in a rational way and not in the way that...well..started all this.

Since Darunia has now decided to attack me personally, by calling me a Nazi, I'm going to...stay for a little while longer to see what happens. But I could at any moment leave this thread...and get some chips...or maybe a soda. I could be gone for as long as five minutes...maybe even ten.

Dear diary, today was...interesting.

Voices of a Distant Star - Undertow - 1st July 2003

Well, i'm just tired of people think their opinions are fact...I mean, does it matter if someone dosn't like something you don't? If I dislike a certain band or hobby someone else likes, does that diminish their experience and happyness they have with the hobby? I hope not. I'm a furry (oh boy) and people in the fandom always complain when it's attacked, or someone says they don't like it they go off on a tangent. 'Close minded freaks' is a common phrase, but what it really amounts to is it's just not their cup of tea, per say. If someone says they don't like anthros, i'm not going to despise them or lynch them for their opinions, if they're annoying about it then i'll just ignore their immaturity...i'm not going to let some turd piss me off. Please don't take this post like i'm angry, i'm just trying to say 'let them have their cake and eat it too'. I'm sure there are hobbies out there you think are freakish, or just not your thing. It's OK. :)

And on this Duriana vs. virtually the whole forums thing, although e-Drama is fun to read at times, i'm sure you guys can set aside your differences and stop attacking each other for a week...try it out. I'm sure you all have to deal with enough BS off the internet nevermind on a forum. Matter of fact, if I see Darunia on tonight I can see about a truce if you guys are willing.

Quote:i'm sure you guys can set aside your differences and stop attacking each other for a week...try it out.

Sorry, but that's never going to happen. We're all to stubborn and defensive of our opinions. But, believe me, you aren't the first person to try and make truce. :D

I usually let people have their own opinions, because I know that other people don't like all the opinions I have, but I don't like when people bad-mouth my opinions. If you present your opinions in a rational manner and explain your reasoning, I have no problem.

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

I'd recommend you leave before you dig yourself into a hole much deeper than it is, Undertow...

Disliking something because of its visual style is really stupid.

Not as stupid as disliking something for absolutely no reason like Darunia here (All he has to do is admit that he can't judge anime as dumb when the only anime he saw he liked and I'll be happy!)... but stupid.

On that note, I have no clue what 'anthros' is.

Oh, and defending ones opinions is important!

Voices of a Distant Star - OB1 - 1st July 2003

Anthros is a type of Greek Anthrax, I think.

Yes, hating anime because of the art style is kind of stupid, because there isn't one set art style or animation style. There are many different types of each.

As for anthros? I have no idea.

Voices of a Distant Star - OB1 - 1st July 2003

And back on topic, I thought you might be interested in this, GR:

Quote:After a defective disk was shipped, ADV has set up a recall of its Voices of a Distant Star DVD. The complete message follows.

"We have identified and corrected the problem with the alternate Japanese track on the Voices of a Distant Star release. If you have a Voices of a Distant Star disc you would like to replace, follow these instructions. "Email ADV Customer Service at "returns @ advfilms.com". Use of this email address, rather than the normal Customer Service email address, will speed your claim. Include your name, email and shipping address. "You will be sent a form letter to complete and a pre-addressed, pre-paid shipping envelope via UPS.
"Complete the form letter; put the form letter and your Voices of a Distant Star disc in the envelope; and drop it in the nearest UPS shipping box.

"As soon as ADV receives the old disc, a corrected disc will be shipped to you. Please be sure to complete the form fully, carefully and legibly to hasten the return process."

[Source: Anime on DVD]

Voices of a Distant Star - Dark Jaguar - 1st July 2003

WHO stole my key lime pie!? I'm looking in YOUR direction Weltall, but I have a lazy eye for some reason the past few days so I MEAN to look at OB1. Of course, that looking has nothing to do with my suspecting Darunia of the theft, but just tellin' ya.

Voices of a Distant Star - Great Rumbler - 2nd July 2003

Pie? What pie? *kicks pie tin under a table*

I heard about that OB1. I still haven't decided wether or not I'll do anything about it. The problem isn't really a big thing.

Voices of a Distant Star - OB1 - 2nd July 2003

What is it, exactly?

Well on the DVD there is supposed to be three dialogue tracks:

*The English dub.
*The original Japanese track with the actors that were hired to do the parts.
*And an alternate Japanese track with the director and his wife doing the two parts.

The alternat track is the one that is messed up.

What's wrong with it?

Voices of a Distant Star - Dark Jaguar - 2nd July 2003

Well, since the director and his wife aren't payed actors, I bet it sounds aweful :D.

By the way, no need to say something stupid to point out my biases. That was a JOKE!

You are so stupid, Linda.

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Well, since the director and his wife aren't payed actors, I bet it sounds aweful :D.

Well, considering that Voices was almost entirely a one-man project I doubt the director got paid for anything.

Voices of a Distant Star - Undertow - 2nd July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I'd recommend you leave before you dig yourself into a hole much deeper than it is, Undertow...

Disliking something because of its visual style is really stupid.

Yes, maybe I should smear my walls with rabbit feces...because it would be just absurd not to like it because I don't find it visually pleasing.

For your comment to me alone, you are the biggest tool in the world.

I'm sorry, i've been pretty respectful with my opinions on anime...i've yet to attack you or anime despite your need to defend it. It's ironic how you think you need to defend your opinions when you're the first one to make the attack. (someone needs to make an attack before you can come back with a defence) I usually don't get caught in bicker fights, but that was just the dumbest thing i've read all week.

The difference is between rabbit feces and anime is that rabbit feces not only looks bad, but it also smells bad, tastes bad, and feels nasty. With anime, though, there are many different art styles, I'm sure there's probably one out there that will appeal to you. Also anime doesn't depend on looks alone, it's also made of the plot, characters, music, ect.

Quote:Originally posted by Great Rumbler
The difference is between rabbit feces and anime is that rabbit feces not only looks bad, but it also smells bad, tastes bad, and feels nasty. With anime, though, there are many different art styles, I'm sure there's probably one out there that will appeal to you. Also anime doesn't depend on looks alone, it's also made of the plot, characters, music, ect.

There's about 4 styles i've seen, about 3 don't appeal to me...one does. I hate to say it, but the visuals might turn someone off to an otherwise good story. But I admitingly like the more western style, like the one utilized in the animatrix shorts. Perhaps I havn't been introduced to the right material, if that's the case then i'm willing to change my opinion.

I know my analogy was crude, but his comment on how i'm digging myself a hole just peeved me off.

Voices of a Distant Star - Silent Drone - 2nd July 2003

On this subject, I don't like anime.

I've sampled enough to -know- I don't like it.

Record of Lodoss Wars
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Ninja Scroll
Ranma 1/2
Dragonball Z :bang:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Eva...

Basically, a variety. I never really put much energy into viewing it.
If it was put before me, I watched it. Sure, I liked some of it (particularly Cowboy Bebop) but for the most part, it didn't appeal to me. Mostly because of, as Undertow pointed out, its style.

Now, you belittle him for saying that the style is his basis for not liking it.

I'll use a different analogy. I -hate- cuban food. I've been raised around it and I still will not touch it.
Now, there are several different dishes to select from. All prepared differently, with different ingredients, garnishes, flare, ect.

The taste -alone- is enough for me not to want to eat it. This though, is not me trashing it. To each their own.

Much like anime. Many styles, some very beautiful, others childish and blocky. . . Whatever. Its a very wide spectrum.

The fact is, its still -anime- it still has characteristics in style that are -always- going to carry through any product under the label. Its always going to remain anime. Be it the large pretty eyes that are so often related to anime, or the beautiful symbolism used in other series/movies.

Its simply -not- my preference. Why should I watch a show that is unappealing to my eyes just for the sake of plot, when I can simply watch something thats both appealing to my eyes -and- possesing a satisfying plot? Its all a matter of taste.

Some people hunt and put trophies of the hunted on their walls. They consider it 'decorative' and beautiful to the eye.
To me, thats not.
Opinions are just that. They're opinions, not facts.
You expect someone to explain their opinions, but it simply doesn't work. You can't. "Why do you like anime?" "Its appeals to me" "well, what makes something appealing?"... "I like it" Boom, we're back to an opinion. No facts, just opinions. Let it go. He doesn't like anime, he doesn't like anime. You don't like him? You don't have to. Just stop thinking that all of your thoughts are facts rather then opinions.

My $0.02

Voices of a Distant Star - EdenMaster - 2nd July 2003

Welcome to TendoCity, where we too are an acquired taste!

:cow:

Your words ring true, yet these are stubborn people you are dealing with. I've my own opinions of Anime and the like, and knowing this crowd, I just stayed out of this debate. Matter of fact, unless I really believe in something, I stay out of most debates around here. I suggest you do the same. Trying to make OB1, A Black Falcon, Darunia, and others here believe you is like pulling teeth, yet in the end, you may prefer pulling teeth...without Novicaine...with a rusty spatula...by Dr. Nick Riviera...in Mexico.

I know I would.

Quote:Originally posted by EdenMaster
Welcome to TendoCity, where we too are an acquired taste!

I stay out of most debates around here. I suggest you do the same.

Lol, I wish I was given the same advice. Anything else me and the newnew newb should know? I think I have Dar down already, though.

Voices of a Distant Star - EdenMaster - 2nd July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Undertow
Lol, I wish I was given the same advice. Anything else me and the newnew newb should know? I think I have Dar down already, though.

That's all the wisdom I have to empart. The rest, well, will come in time :).

Considering what i've read thus far? I'd have to agree... That damn molar is giving me hell, mayhaps its time for a pulling?

As for that picture... I'm pooducked in one forum, and cowed in another.

What silliness is this?Erm

Quote:Record of Lodoss Wars
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Ninja Scroll
Ranma 1/2
Dragonball Z
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Eva...

Wow. Those are among the best anime out there, if you don't like those there's really nothing for you in anime. Although, it's possible that there's some niche anime out there that might appeal to you.

Quote:You expect someone to explain their opinions, but it simply doesn't work. You can't. "Why do you like anime?" "Its appeals to me" "well, what makes something appealing?"... "I like it" Boom, we're back to an opinion. No facts, just opinions. Let it go. He doesn't like anime, he doesn't like anime. You don't like him? You don't have to. Just stop thinking that all of your thoughts are facts rather then opinions.

Actually I can explain very well why I like anime. I like the characters, plot, music, animation, the action, the humor, ect. Some animes have all of those for me, some have a few, and some have none.

Quote:But I admitingly like the more western style, like the one utilized in the animatrix shorts.

Try Big O. It's art style is very similar to the animated Batman series from the early 90's. You might try reading some reviews of it or renting it, if it's available.

Fair enough GR. Fair enough...

Though I could always ask "What makes a good character/plot/song/animation/action/humor"

Still an opinion. A very well sculpted and precise opinion.... But still, an opinion. lol.

All i'm trying to say.

Believe me, i'm not gonna fight a crusade against anime. It doesn't appeal to me, but Its not something that I hate watching.

Just one of those things where i'd rather do something else, but if its a easy means to avoid boredom, i'm all for it.

Quote:Though I could always ask "What makes a good character/plot/song/animation/action/humor"

True. But then I could explain the various things about those that appeal to me. ;)

Quote: It doesn't appeal to me, but Its not something that I hate watching.

As long as you don't start a crusade against anime, I'll accept your opinion.

Good, good. Then we're at peace. For the moment.

Sadly though, I was just about to begin my "Down with Rumblers" crusade, and seeing as you are the 'Great' rumbler, you seem to now be my nemisis!

Yes, I can see where there might be some friction between us. You're the master of clowns and I'm the master of all things evil and countdowns, so clowns kind of fall into my jurisdiction. However, I think we a few changes in management we could work something out...

Clowns arn't evil! THEY'RE SIMPLY MISUNDERSTOOD!

*Points to avatar* Look at him! LOOK! Do you see his teeth? How horribly... "English" they look!?

Wouldn't you be a little bitter and depressed if you had dental work that looked like that... I think you would.

So they are -my- jurisidiction, even if I must wrestle them from your grip. Though I must warn you, all of my crusades end at 12PM EST

Quote:Clowns arn't evil! THEY'RE SIMPLY MISUNDERSTOOD!

What about that clown on IT? He was pretty evil...

Quote:Wouldn't you be a little bitter and depressed if you had dental work that looked like that... I think you would.

Yeah, I suppose I would.

Quote:Though I must warn you, all of my crusades end at 12PM EST

Seriously? 2PM is usually when most of my best crusades go down. :(

I don't quite know what I'm the master of yet, once I figure it out i'll tell you guys.

In the mean time I'll just eat more pudding.

This is a cheap shot, I know... But I can't resist.

Speaking of "IT"... He wasn't a clown, he was a sentient evil spider beast who was able to project himself as a clown. What better way to lure unsuspecting children then as a happy clown?

"We all float down here"

You don't like Cowboy Bebop??

:eek2:

I know, it's pretty hard to believe.

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 2nd July 2003

Quote:There's about 4 styles i've seen, about 3 don't appeal to me...one does. I hate to say it, but the visuals might turn someone off to an otherwise good story. But I admitingly like the more western style, like the one utilized in the animatrix shorts. Perhaps I havn't been introduced to the right material, if that's the case then i'm willing to change my opinion.

I know my analogy was crude, but his comment on how i'm digging myself a hole just peeved me off.

You can try to defend your 'right' to base your opinions on extremely shallow observations, but it still looks stupid.

Quote:Wow. Those are among the best anime out there, if you don't like those there's really nothing for you in anime. Although, it's possible that there's some niche anime out there that might appeal to you.

Still sounds shallow, but if you've really watched all those things (some of which are among the best of anime) and disliked it... there probably is no hope for you liking it.

Now if Darunia had come in and said that, I wouldn't be so annoyed with him... that's more understandable...

As for anime... in that other thread I made a while back I listed everything I'd seen as of then.

Now, I've only seen 5 or 6 eps of Cowboy Bebop...

But so far, my favorite shows... hmm. Lain and Escaflowne were great... Princess Mononoke too. I also liked (a bit less, but liked) some of the other ones -- Love Hina, To Heart, Kanon (though unlike these other 3 Kanon is quite sad) and Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai were good...

And Evangelion and Vampire Princess Miyu.

Cowboy Bebop is pretty good too... I want to watch the rest of it to judge it better. I do like the ones that tell a coherent story better, though... that one is all seperate episodes. Oh well.

Quote: Sure, I liked some of it (particularly Cowboy Bebop) but for the most part, it didn't appeal to me.

I said I -LIKED- Cowboy Bebop!

Geez, pay attention folks!:D

You said that you just liked parts of it.

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 2nd July 2003

Parts means some, though. Not none...

Voices of a Distant Star - Darunia - 3rd July 2003

Quote:Now if Darunia had come in and said that, I wouldn't be so annoyed with him... that's more understandable...

...as if I have a need to cater to you and your wishes...(?)

Voices of a Distant Star - Great Rumbler - 3rd July 2003

Well...the Wolfen will come for you with his razor!

Voices of a Distant Star - Darunia - 4th July 2003

Oh...then I'll stifle myself.

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 14th October 2003

The search function says that there have been zero posts at TC using the word 'star'. Or 'voices'. Or any combination of the words in this thread title. Yup. So I had to search through the archives to find the thread...

Search sure is useful! Rolleyes

See, I just (finally) got around to watching the copy of Voices of a Distant Star that finished downloading like a week ago. :)

And yes... it is a very good anime. Good story for the length... could have used more exposition and explanations of why what's going on is going on, but with that length its perfeclty excusable.

Voices of a Distant Star - Great Rumbler - 15th October 2003

I've also noticed that the search function doesn't work.

Quote:could have used more exposition and explanations of why what's going on is going on, but with that length its perfeclty excusable.

Yeah, it might have been better as a full-length movie or a four-episode OVA, but as it is it's still very good.

It's great that someone has FINALLY picked up Voices and watched, now if the rest of you would do the same...

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2003

Voices of a Distant Star - Great Rumbler - 15th October 2003

Voices of a Distant Star - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2003