Tendo City
How does this work? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: How does this work? (/showthread.php?tid=807)

How does this work? - Fittisize - 25th June 2003

Legendary comic book artist Todd McFarlane (er...at least I think he's legendary....I dont' really give a shit for comic books) bought Barry Bond's 73rd home run ball for $450,000 today...he also bought Mark McGuires 70th home run ball a few years back for nearly $3 million. How the hell does that work?? Bond's record is better, and he paid a whoooole lot less for it. Plus, there was a lot less demand for it too. (!)

Weird.

How does this work? - Dark Jaguar - 25th June 2003

Demand is all there is to it. That's what determines worth. He bought it for less because it was worth less. It's worth less ONLY because people think it's worth less. Why do people think that? Maybe Baseball just isn't that popular any more.

So um, what's the big deal about this?

I see this as about as important as me reporting on my own purchase of an NES complete with light gun and ROB and 3 games for 15 bucks, when years earlier that would have been well over 100 bucks. Don't care about that, totally understand why that is? Exactly...

How does this work? - A Black Falcon - 25th June 2003

Its worth less because the achievement is less in the eyes of the public. And why is that? Simple! McGwire hit 70, and broke a record that stood for decades. Bonds hit 73 and broke a record that had stood for just a few years. Thus, less interest... doesn't that make sense?

Bonds' ball would be the one selling for $3 million if he'd been the one doing it for the first time since Maris.

How does this work? - OB1 - 25th June 2003

Legendary my ass. He's just rich.

How does this work? - A Black Falcon - 26th June 2003

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030625&content_id=391640&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

With link to a interesting 7 minuite audio conversation with Todd McFarlane. Click! :)

How does this work? - Dark Lord Neo - 26th June 2003

Maybe that's why the Oilers never win, because Todd spends all their money on baseballs and not on hockey sticks.

How does this work? - Darunia - 26th June 2003

Three million for a BASEBALL! Dear god, there are some CRAZY muthas out there... Fittisize, for the LOVE OF GOD, tell me that you would never pay that much money for a baseball!! I would go as high as $3 for a normal baseball, and with it being Mark McGuire's 70th, I'd pay maybe as high as $3.50.

How does this work? - Sacred Jellybean - 26th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
Three million for a BASEBALL! Dear god, there are some CRAZY muthas out there... Fittisize, for the LOVE OF GOD, tell me that you would never pay that much money for a baseball!! I would go as high as $3 for a normal baseball, and with it being Mark McGuire's 70th, I'd pay maybe as high as $3.50.

You took the words right out of my mouth... what a waste of money.

How does this work? - Dark Jaguar - 26th June 2003

My thoughts too, but I wasn't going to share them because I was afraid the sportspeoples around here would all simultaniously attack me in an embarresing (for them) way and say things like "you just don't get it" or "sports are a meaningful and important part of our life, something other games, even though in the end they are all games, can't simulate, and chess sucks".

How does this work? - Fittisize - 26th June 2003

Err....if I was like Mr. McFarlane and had money to burn, then I'd pay three million for a baseball.

Here's a quote from Todd after he bought McGuires ball:

Quote:Right now I'm the guy who paid $2.7 million for a piece of History. If the record is ever broken I'll be the guy who paid $2.7 million for a $2.70 baseball ball.

:):)

One other thing, Gretzky's final jersey that he ever wore in an NHL game (Gretzky being the greatest player to ever grace his sport, without question) sold only for around $65 000. (only...)

Yeah, if I had the kind of money Todd McFarlane has I'd be bidding that much too. :)

How does this work? - Laser Link - 26th June 2003

If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't buy it. What a waste of money. There are a lot better things to do with $3 million. I love sports, but that's so greedy and foolish. The most I ever spent on sports memorablia is $50 for my autographed Steve Atwater plaque, and I felt guilty doing that even though he's my favorite player in any sport.

Well, it's obvious that collecting sports memorbillia is a hobby for Todd...and if he has three million to blow on a baseball, he probably does a whole lot for charities, too.

Bah, if you were as rich as Todd McFarlane, LL, you'd be spending money on anything. :) Least, I would be...

How does this work? - Dark Lord Neo - 26th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
Well, it's obvious that collecting sports memorbillia is a hobby for Todd...and if he has three million to blow on a baseball, he probably does a whole lot for charities, too.

It's obviouse that he collects memorbillia, he bought a share of the Oilers, and that's all they are, memories of what they once were.

Shoulda bought the Canadiennes then. :)

They'd probably be more expensive... or maybe he just likes the Oilers. :)

But he's from Calgary. Simply put, people from Calgary are devoted to Flames, Edmonton=Oilers. People not from there, choose a side and never look back. Some of the arguments get pretty heated...

But maybe he's just an exception. Eh, fair enough.