Tendo City
Gameboy Player - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Gameboy Player (/showthread.php?tid=804)

Gameboy Player - EdenMaster - 25th June 2003

Got mine yesterday,and it's better than I thought. I was afraid pixelization would be bad because of the screen size difference, but this simpy isn't the case. The screen looks great, LttP looks just like it did on the SNES!

Anyone else gotten one? Your thoughts?

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 25th June 2003

http://tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=820

Gameboy Player - OB1 - 25th June 2003

I'm getting it this friday. Woo!

Gameboy Player - Weltall - 25th June 2003

I layed one away. I'll pay it off after I get back from vacation.

Gameboy Player - Dark Jaguar - 25th June 2003

I too got one, and found it lacking in the SGB support department. As I said, when something is as obvious a pure luxery item as this, it should have luxery features like SGB support. Still though, it's nice. The pixelation is as you said, absent, just like on the SGB, if not a bit better. I played a little COTM, and wow, even on the SP I had no idea how much detail was actually in that game. It's really very nice looking zoomed up, which might actually explain why Konami released it looking like that. They were likely testing it on a large screen, and just didn't really see what it would look like on a small screen.

Still though, here's hoping that an updated boot disk will be released with some sort of SGB emulation mode built in to select from a menu on that disk.

Can they do that with the bootdisks? I thought they're there just for copy protection.

Yeah, they're just there to tell the Cube to look at the GBP. Expecting them to somehow add SGB support is bizarre.

Well essentially the boot disk just boots it, but I think it can do more. It COULD be something that doesn't really boot the player, but just accesses it. I THINK the player can be accessed without going completely into it's mode of operation. In any case, it could be a little program that, using the GBP to read the cart data (and perhaps no other features of the GBP), would then detect an SGB mode, and from there would emulate an SGB plugged into an SNES. As far as I know, and it's limited, it's at least possible.

I doubt Nintendo would ever release any special bootdisks, though.

Of course they wouldn't.

And anyway I'd think that something like this would be possible... but challenging and not worth their time to do for the (in their eyes) small amount of good it'd do.

Sorry, but you're just too optimistic about this stuff. :)

I never actually said it's a certainty, just an option. And when has an optomistic attitude EVER hurt ANYONE EVER?

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 26th June 2003

When you expect something to happen that hasn't been confirmed and it doesn't happen and you get depressed... instead of expecting it to not happen and being not surprised. :)

Gameboy Player - OB1 - 26th June 2003

Like the F-Zero GX track editor deal. I stopped hoping for it last year, but both of you continued to sort of expect it and got burned. Or something.

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 26th June 2003

Me expect it? Since when? I've always said that there wouldn't be one... a random track option I wasn't sure on (now I think its quite doubtful, but for a while I hoped there would be one)... its DJ that thought there might be a track editor. :)

Gameboy Player - big guy - 26th June 2003

whoa, no debate, dudes.

anyway, i hope to pick up a gameboy player tomarrow...although my clutch just died, so i'm gonna be out about $500 getting that fixed...unless my old man helps me out, then i can still get the gameboy player, since i'll probably only be out $250.

i can't wait to play golden sun 2 without spending a fortune on batteries. and when i can sit on my couch instead of in front of the dining room window (the only place where you get adequate light in my house to fully appreciate the intricacies of the graphics).

Gameboy Player - Dark Jaguar - 26th June 2003

Poor SP-less bastard sword.

Gameboy Player - OB1 - 27th June 2003

Seriously, I've probably saved around a hundred dollars on batteries so far thanks to my SP.

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 27th June 2003

But your power bill goes up because of charge costs. :)

Rolleyes

Well it does!

Gameboy Player - Dark Jaguar - 27th June 2003

By over 100 bucks since he got an SP? Nah, MAYBE by about a dollar, if that.

Right.

Sure, its a lot cheaper than buying batteries. Its just not free. :p

It's almost free, dummy.

I know.

But its not freeeeeeeeee.

Infinity

You're an idiot. :hammer:

All I will say is that I sure hope you're not taking me seriously... :)

I know that you're kind of trying to be funny, but you're still stupid.

For making a dumb point? Oh well. :)

Gameboy Player - big guy - 30th June 2003

still don't have that GB player...maybe this friday.

stupid pints of guiness eating the $50 i was gonna spend on the GB player. (although i also had a shot of whiskey, and irish car bomb and about 3 labatts...so i didn't drink $50 in guiness. i know you guys were freakin' out. oh, and i had to pay cover at the pub and the club...).

Gameboy Player - EdenMaster - 30th June 2003

Erm

Well, you could have NOT spent the money on liver poison.

Meh, how you spend your money is none of my business. Maybe next week.

Gameboy Player - Lord Shockwave - 30th June 2003

I got mine the day before the official release date thanks to some friends over @ Gamespot. I personally find it to be even better than i thought it would be. Of course, first game was Metroid Fusion, and it looked great, I think even better than Super Metorid did on the SNES. Castlevania: HOD looked a little pixelated, but that was on fullsscreen mode instead of normal resolution. I personally will not play any Game Boys when I am home now! :P Next up for playing are Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Advance Wars 2.

Gameboy Player - Great Rumbler - 30th June 2003

It's Lord Shockwave! Haven't seen you around TC in a while! Good to have you back!

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 30th June 2003

*mumbles something about getting one eventually*

Gameboy Player - OB1 - 30th June 2003

Since you never go outside, I'd suggest getting a GB Player.

Yeah, but I've got a few vacations this summer away from my TV and I'd like to have something for gameboy not two years old...

Gameboy Player - Dark Lord Neo - 30th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
*mumbles something about getting one eventually*

*does the same, even though he's sure it likely won't happen until after the PS2 that broke over a year ago is fixed*

Hmm, in that case you should definitely buy an SP. The extra $30 is worth it (over the regular GBA) and you really will save a lot of money thanks to the rechargable battery.

Yeah.

I'll need an adapter or something though since I'm going to Denmark for over a week in mid August. :)

The other vacation (to Virginia) is just under a week away (the coming Saturday we leave)... I don't see if I can get one by then. We'll see.

I don't want to be in a 14 hour car trip (that's how long it takes to get to Chincoteague) with no new games... :(

Make sure to get Advance Wars 1 & 2. If you don't these games you're insane.

Seriously, I think they use that now to test whether or not people are insane.

I've played Advance Wars... once you accept it for what it is -- a simple strategy game -- its a great, great game... doesn't have anywhere near as much depth as PC strategy games but its not aiming for that so that's fine.

Gameboy Player - OB1 - 1st July 2003

I wouldn't say that AW is a far more simpler game than most PC strategy games; it's just different. I mean once you get a handle of the complex menus and buttons in games like Total War, the actual strategy isn't nearly as deep as the simple perfection of Chess. And while AW isn't as deep as Chess it is very similar to it in many ways, like how it's so easy to learn but so difficult to master.

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

AW isn't as deep as a Total War game. They have two levels, each with good depth... AW has one, with moderate depth.

It is fairly easy to learn but tough to master, like any good strategy gam... but its complexity level is, IMO, closer to the level of a mid-'90s PC shareware game -- its got depth, but not on the level of modern games. Honestly playing the game I was reminded of some of those games pretty strongly... which was good. They were fun. :)

Well I can look past all of the buttons and options in games like Total War and see them for what they are and the actual strategy involved with playing them isn't nearly as deep as you seem to think. It's more of a "think quick and kill those guys!" game, while in games like Chess and Advance Wars you have to take your time and seriously think about what you're doing, always thinking several steps ahead. AW is also more difficult to beat. Judging by your comments you obviously did not get very far in the game.

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

No, it just boils down to real-time vs turn-based.

There is lots of strategy in a Total War game... two levels -- the turnbased overworld, which is a simplistic strategy game, sure, but has decent depth... and would be much better with a deeper diplomatic model... and the realtime combat, which is simple to understand but has lots of strategic depth.

Of course, there are deeper games than Total War. Such as Civilization, or Master of Orion, or Europa Universalis, or Alpha Centauri, or a bunch of other TBSes...

As for RTS games, they really are a different genre, crossovers like Lords of the Realm and Total War notwithstanding.

I'm better at RTS's than I am at turn-based strategy games (what do you call them, TBS's?) and so I have a much easier time with games like Total War than I do with Advance Wars.

Gameboy Player - OB1 - 14th July 2003

I split the thread in two so that your smoking debate can be in the proper forum.

Gameboy Player - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2003

I'm okay at both RTS and TBS... not great at either, but okay at both. I wouldn't say I'm clearly better with one or the other. TBS is great though because you have no time limit...