Tendo City
The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit (/showthread.php?tid=802)

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 24th June 2003

I doubt any of you know what the subject means, so I'll explain. The great punk ska band Five Iron Frenzy is calling it quits this year, but before they break up they decided to release one cd of 34 joke songs, demos, and old b-sides, record a final full length album, and finish with a 60 city farewell tour. The joke cd was released in April as Cheeses of Nazareth and they finished the other cd, The End is Near, a couple weeks ago. The catch is that you can only buy The End is Near at a FIF show. It won't be released in stores until 2004. So while that's really cool, I was frustrated because FIF is from Denver and the only time they are going to play in Colorado is the end of November. It just happens to be their last show ever. So again, that is really cool. But it means that I can't buy the cd until everyone else already has it. Then today something amazing happened...

Turns out that FIF's record label just started selling the cd online for a limited time, and it's shipping now! WOOOO! I can't wait to hear it, not only because it's their final recording ever and I know it will be very special, but because they feel it's their best yet. I hope it's a little more punk and a little less rawk than Electric Boogaloo, but I'm freaking excited none the less.

And on a sad note, to me this officially signifies the death of ska. Yes, I know it's been one life support for a couple years now, but FIF is one of the best. Ska was really just a subgenre of punk or rock or whatever else, and I'm sure there will still be horns popping up every once in a while in the future, but it won't be the same. The End is Near.

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 24th June 2003

Everyone not named WhiteFleck: We don't care! Go away!

Oh, Winners Never Quit is the name of the final tour, so that's why it's in the title too. I don't know if they are saying that they are not winners (in their typical humble sarcasticness), or that they aren't quitting, or what. But that's half the fun of it.

Oh, and Relient K is going to re-release the Creepy EP at festivals all summer long. Hooray for acoustic versions of Pressing On and Softer to Me!!!

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Dark Lord Neo - 25th June 2003

this makes me sad
I bet they aren't playing anywhere near here though.

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 26th June 2003

They might be. FIF loves Canada, and I know they have played in Canada a lot more than most bands.

I just checked, and it looks like no Canada on this tour, but you live pretty close to Spokane, right? Aren't you the one who got the Spokane tv channels? They'll be in Seattle, Portland, Spokane, and *snicker* Missoula. I hope they don't get corrupted in Missoula, they play there only 11 days before they come to Denver. Unfortunately for WhiteFleck, if he goes, they are playing in Minneapolis right after Missoula, so the taint will still be fresh and strong.

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - -_____- - 27th June 2003

OMG These are not my pants is a great song. :D Other than that, I haven't heard any others lol. What other songs are good?

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 28th June 2003

Which Pants song did you here? I think there are 8 or so. Or did you here the whole collection?

Some of their best songs are: Old West, A Flowery Song, Sucker Punch, Blue Comb 78, Oh Canada, Litmus, Every New Day, Dandelions, A New Hope, Pre-Ex Girlfriend, You Can't Handle This, Far Far Away, and of course Every New Day, which is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

As you can tell from the titles, they usually don't take things too seriously with songs about being a geek, losing a comb, the greatness of our neighbours to the north, and other crazy stuff. But there are some songs that address serious issues, so check em out.

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - EdenMaster - 28th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
Which Pants song did you here? I think there are 8 or so.

Rofl

That just strikes me as funny that they not only have a pants song, but that there are 8 or so :D.

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 30th June 2003

If you think you are laughing now, wait until you hear the songs themselves. And they discover the truth behind the pants on this last cd. It answers all of the greatest FIF mysteries, such as what happened to Reese's comb, where Micah went, how Kitty-Doggy is doing, and much more.

It's so great because they get to really end it. It's not just the last cd the group made before they broke up, it's a deliberate ending. I wish every band could go out this way. The way they end the cd is just incredible. It's so full of inside jokes and memories, and the last song will blow any long time FIF fan away. Nobody else will grasp the significance though. The whole cd is that way, really. It's great in every way, but it's even better because it's like one last thank you to the longtime fans. It's like SSBM. Anyone can appreciate how great the game is and enjoy playing it, but the classic items and the trophies are what put the game over the edge to any hardcore Nintendo fan. It's just too special. But you must get their other cds first or you won't enjoy this one the way it was meant to be.

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Weltall - 1st July 2003

Hoohah!

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 1st July 2003

...oooookay

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Weltall - 2nd July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
...oooookay

I had that picture for years and until now, I never had a good reason to use it!

The End is Near, but Winners Never Quit - Laser Link - 2nd July 2003

You still didn't have a good reason. :D