Tendo City
Still pretty damn pissed! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Still pretty damn pissed! (/showthread.php?tid=80)

Still pretty damn pissed! - Lt. Boris Grisjenko - 9th January 2003

Damn, why is it that all of you guys get to play games and I have to wait another few months!

This still pretty damn pisses me off!!!!!

Like you've been playing Animal Crossing for a month now, and they are not even sure if it will ever release in europe!!!!
It probebly will but I have to wait for at least a few months.....

It's a sad world, full of wars, pestelence and release-delays... :cuss:

~Boris~

Still pretty damn pissed! - OB1 - 9th January 2003

I lived in Europe for four years so I feel for you man, I really do. I got the shitty Wave Race 64 PAL conversion, I had to play Turok without any blood or human enemies (the German version), and I had to deal with Nintendo's insane prices and constant delays.

It's good to be back in the USA. :D

Sorry about that. I really do have sympathy towards you.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Laser Link - 9th January 2003

Truthfully, we've had Animal Crossing for almost 4 months now...

Still pretty damn pissed! - Great Rumbler - 9th January 2003

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I live in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Lord Neo - 9th January 2003

Canada get's the US Release dates

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Jaguar - 9th January 2003

Yeah, even though we have had lots of releases cancelled, and delayed, from Japan, at least we aren't in Europe's situation. However, actually as of late America has been getting a lot more stuff from Japan, and even some titles BEFORE they do. Sure, there's lots of stuff we still don't get at all, like Fire Emblem, but things are improoving.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Lt. Boris Grisjenko - 10th January 2003

I try to comfert (TYPO) myself with the fact that we sometimes get better versions of the games (MGS2) and that really is a great comfert (TYPO) but I hate it that U guys get to play Animal Crossing for 4 months now! an I still have to wait.....

I'm gonna cry now..... :bummed:

~Boris~

Still pretty damn pissed! - Laser Link - 10th January 2003

More bad news from PGC: Animal Crossing is not coming to Europe at all. It appears that they don't want to waste the resources on localizing the game when it's sequel is well underway. You'll probably get that, but it will be a very long wait.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Lt. Boris Grisjenko - 11th January 2003

Wasn't that with Animal Forest on the N64?

Cuz that was exactly the same...
Will they use the same exuse again or are you confused?

~Boris~

Still pretty damn pissed! - Italian_Pyro - 11th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Lord Neo
Canada get's the US Release dates

...except when it dosent

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Jaguar - 11th January 2003

That's right, and Nintendo is going to keep using that excuse, over and over again! And no one can stop them, not even, Austin Powers... Mwahahahahahahaha!

Yeah, you guys do sometimes get better versions. Of course, that tends to happen only when you guys had to wait so long that over in Japan, the second "International" or "Final Mix" version of that game has just been released, and they figure they might as well give you that. Japan still gets every blasted little thing before, and after, anyone else. Somehow Advance Wars eludes them though, which makes me smile :D.

Still pretty damn pissed! - A Black Falcon - 11th January 2003

I really like PC games, so I far prefer being here where PC games are relatively popular and easy to get...

Though for console games it is annoying that companies don't trust that more games will sell here. While some (dating sims, horseracing games, etc) won't, others (read: Animal Crossing) will... despite expectations otherwise... why won't they take a few more chances? It does get annoying.
Of course for Europe its truly awful... not getting so many games, and others so late... Plus, in some countries (Germany, Austrailia (not Europe, true, but its PAL)) you've also got government game censorship... :(

Still pretty damn pissed! - Nintendarse - 12th January 2003

I believe that Nintendo, until recently (year 2000) used an outside destributor named THE Games to sell its games in Europe. I believe this company as well as Nintendo were accused of price fixing and other illegal practices. Regardless of any illegal activity, the relationship caused severe late releases, such as Rogue Squadron and 1080 Snowboarding. Some hoped that the severing of ties between Nintendo and THE would make the situation better, but I guess it really hasn't improved. Do PAL ports still suffer from framerate problems and ugly borders?

Speaking of exceptions to the rule, Metroid Prime was released in the United States before Japan. Not only was Metroid Prime developed in the United States, but Metroid has always been a more popular series in North America. For sales monkeys out there (me), the period from February 28 through E3 will be a very interesting time. Metroid Prime is released on Feb 28 in Japan, and Zelda is released in the US on March 24. The similarities are that these titles are being released with negative forces attached to them. Metroid Prime has the mundane sales of the series against it as well as the first-person viewpoint. If Japan sees this game as an FPS, it's looking at just over 100,000 copies. Zelda, while traditionally a huge franchise in North America, faces the negative force of its art design. Movies targeted at kids have been hit or miss (Hey Arnold, Wild Thornberries, The Powerpuff Girls anyone?), so this game may not get the support it needs in the youth crowd. Don't even ask the adolescent crowd, because they're not even listening. The 20's crowd will be interesting: more mature, this group might be able to get over the cartoon art design if the word of mouth support is there. Oddly enough, the only reliable mass-market support is the older group which grew up with Nintendo and now feels nostalgic. The question is how big this group is. Regardless of the mass-market, the Nintendo harcore fanbase (us) is going to get this game off the floor with at least 150,000 copies. Eternal Darkness is a good indicator of a game with the support of only the hardcore Nintendo fanbase, and it sold 100,000 initially followed by a huge drop off (because of no mass-market support). I'm saying Zelda will get more support because, well, it's Zelda.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Private Hudson - 12th January 2003

It's worse in Australia.

You want games that release in PAL territories at or near the same time as the NTSC version, get an XBox.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Lt. Boris Grisjenko - 12th January 2003

Quote:Plus, in some countries (Germany, Austrailia (not Europe, true, but its PAL)) you've also got government game censorship...

Black Falcon... Germany is in europe!
Sadly they're our neightbours!!!!! :woo: :hammer:

And about the Final mix or international versions... they ROCK!!!
In Final Fantasy X for example we have Dark Aons! They rule! And are EXTREMELY hard to beat.. kinda like weapons in the previous games! and there are 7 in total! (each Aon has it's own dark version!) and Penance (The ultimate enemy) I never beaten one in a fare battle tho... only with Yojimbo's Zanmata :D

~Boris~

Still pretty damn pissed! - Weltall - 12th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Lt. Boris Grisjenko
Black Falcon... Germany is in europe!
Sadly they're our neightbours!!!!! :woo: :hammer:

And about the Final mix or international versions... they ROCK!!!
In Final Fantasy X for example we have Dark Aons! They rule! And are EXTREMELY hard to beat.. kinda like weapons in the previous games! and there are 7 in total! (each Aon has it's own dark version!) and Penance (The ultimate enemy) I never beaten one in a fare battle tho... only with Yojimbo's Zanmata :D

~Boris~

He means Australia, they're nowhere near Europe, but they're stuck on that awful PAL system.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Lord Neo - 12th January 2003

Oh well sometimes I get the English game with French Instructions, that's never fun

Still pretty damn pissed! - A Black Falcon - 12th January 2003

I thought it was pretty clear that I was referring to Austrailia as not being in Europe, but being in the same bad situation games-wise as Europe is... PAL and government censorship makes for a bad combonation.

German game censorship is kinda strange... blood is almost totally not allowed... as is killing humans. So many games make the enemies zombies (Carmageddon), turn the blood green, or just don't release in Germany. Nudity? Not really an issue... of course here its the opposite, with violence and gore being fine but nudity (re: BMX XXX... not the game itsself, but the media reaction...) isn't ok.

I don't know as much about Australias, except that GTA3 had trouble getting accepted for release there, and I think they had to tone down some stuff to let Australia's government let them release it there.

It would be awful to have stuff like that here... sure, the game companies themselves kill most ideas that would push the boundaries, but we do get some games that in places like those we'd never see... not in the same form, anyway...

Oh, and yeah, I'll be intrested to see how well Metroid Prime sells in Japan... not that well, I expect. As for Zelda here, it should do pretty well, but those graphics will certainly reduce sales from what they could have been otherwise.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Jaguar - 12th January 2003

Metroid Fusion I expect should sell very well indeed, since Metroid is actually a lot more popular there than most people believe, especially after Super Metroid. Oh, there's another US first game, Fusion. Anyway, as for Prime, who knows? On the one hand, they may buy it just like they would Fusion. On the other hand, they might not like a first person shooter game, even if this one is extremely different and actually combines the FPS and Adventure genres.

As for the inprooved versions Europe gets, I suppose it is nice that the very long delays at least allow them to get the second versions released in Japan. Still, I'm sure they'd rather be like Japan and get both the first version AND the extended version. Myself, I do believe in the future with HDs and net access that "extended versions" will no longer be an option once console game makers start making downloadable expansions. They could actually do more than one major improvement, and the people who bought it when it first came out wouldn't be missing a thing, because they'd just need to go online and fetch it once the patch is released. Of course, it's likely that many of the bigger improvements will be stuff you must buy, but it'll be a lot cheaper than paying the whole price of a game all over again just for the improvements, that's for sure.

Meanwhile, Europe is getting Japan's Kingdom Hearts Final Mix version, which makes me jealous because that sucker has all sorts of stuff added.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Lt. Boris Grisjenko - 13th January 2003

Well I'm glad that we only get the international version!
It would really piss me off if I where to buy a game and a few months later the game comes again with only a few options extra! I wouldn't buy the new version and would feel pretty fucked!!!!

as for Kingdom Hearts... I have the game for some time now...
I don't know if it's the Final Mix.... But it's a pretty good game tho I'm a littl' stuck for the moment.... :D

Finally the NTSC/PAL stuff....
Weltall keeps bitchin' about PAL as if it's a bad thing!
But I do not agree... after all PAL is better! it has more horizontal lines in the screen!

Like FFX (PAL versions) is a straight port from the NTSC versions... so now I have to deal with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.... I don't really think it's a problem, but the game-mag. critics think they suck bad! and even gave FFX a lower score jes' for that!
PLUS, when I see some game movies on the internet, I think "damn, that's a bad quality movie" and first I thought it was jes' pre-production footage... but since a short time I know it's NTSC stuff... straigth from the US game! wich means our (the PAL versions) look better.. and in my opinion that's ALOT better!

~Boris~

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Jaguar - 13th January 2003

Um, generally when you watch a video file of a game on the net, it's lower res, even if it's a direct feed. They do that to lower the size of the file.

Oh, and NTSC has been in the past the superior format. It's had higher frame rate. Now though, with the new PAL system becoming popular in the country of limes, PAL is actually getting a frame rate equal to NTSC. So, it's all a matter of whether or not you care about some extra lines.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Lord Neo - 13th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Lt. Boris Grisjenko

Like FFX (PAL versions) is a straight port from the NTSC versions... so now I have to deal with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.... I don't really think it's a problem, but the game-mag. critics think they suck bad! and even gave FFX a lower score jes' for that!
~Boris~

Strange, when I see show on my NTSC TV that were meant for PAL there are black lines on the top and bottom fo the screen

Still pretty damn pissed! - OB1 - 13th January 2003

Say that again?

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Lord Neo - 13th January 2003

Boris says when he watches NTSC shows on his PAL TV there are small black lines on the top and bottom of his screen
But the same thing happens to me whenever i watch a PAL program on my NTSC TV like if I watch BBC World News

Still pretty damn pissed! - Lt. Boris Grisjenko - 14th January 2003

Wow, that is strange......
Well, I don't know what you call small but in FFX there are these lines and together (top and bottom) they might take up about 10% of my screen... so they are pretty big if you ask me!

Well, the first 3 seconds I get the feeling I watch a bad wide-sceen show... but after 3 seconds I don't even notice the bars anymore! So I don't really care!

And about the PAL/NTSC thing... I only heard PAL is better.. because of more hor. lines you get a sharper images! not that I really care tho... :D
Final Fantasy is and will always stay Final Fantasy!

anywayz, about the movies...
It's not the lower res. that makes the movies uglier... it's really rendered lower... for example, when I saw a FFX movie (FF again... always FF :D) Tidus was like, in front of the background while as in my PAL version the chars blend into the background more... (are you still following me, cuz I'm not sure I am :D)

~Boris~

Still pretty damn pissed! - OB1 - 14th January 2003

As far as resolution goes, PAL is better. The only problem is framerate, as PAL tvs display 25 frames per second rather than the 30 fps that NTSC TVs displays. And if you're sensitive to video and sound, you'll notice a slight speed-up whenever a 24 fps tv show or movie is played on a PAL tv because there's a 4% speed increase. NTSC tvs fix this problem with a process called "3:2 pulldown" which basically keeps the 24 fps movies in sync at the original running speed. But since the difference between 24 and 25 fps is so small they decided to leave it at that, so there is a slight speedup with PAL displays. And since PAL tv's only display 25 fps, no video game can run faster than 50 fps (that's fields per second, unless you have a digital tv or something).

I have a region-free DVD player that perfectly converts PAL to NTSC, so I get to watch all of my favorite Hong Kong movies that have been released by the incredible British company Hong Kong Legends. The movies look the exact same as any of my American DVDs because of the great PAL conversion, but I am missing a few lines of resolution because I'm watching them on an NTSC TV. I don't notice any difference from my NTSC DVDs since I'm used to that resolution, but if I were to watch these PAL discs on a PAL TV I would get a sharper picture.

As for why you get BBC in widescreen I have no idea. It shouldn't look like that. It must be some other problem.

Still pretty damn pissed! - Dark Lord Neo - 14th January 2003

Not exactly widescreen, the lines are at the most a centimeter high on a 27" TV. When I'm watching BBC shows on other stations they aren't like that witht he exeption of BBC World News, so maybe they are reformated or somthing and since BBC world news is either broadcast live or with very little delay they don't have time to fix it.