Tendo City
I'm bored. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: I'm bored. (/showthread.php?tid=796)

I'm bored. - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2003

So, I decided to list all my PC gamepads/joysticks... oldest to newest.

-Oldest is a Kraft Thunderstick joystick. It came with out Pentium 90 that we got in early/mid 1995. It has 2 buttons (trigger and a button on top that has 2 seperate parts but both just activate button 2) and a throttle, so its a 3 axis, 2 button gamepad.

This stick has almost no resistance so it is very, very touchy and inprecice. It also is analog so you have to constantly adjust the trim pots to get it even. Its not a very good joystick, but it'll do when its all you have...

-Next, I got a Capcom PC Fighter 6 in the box when I bought Mega Man X for PC. It is a 6-button digital gamepad. The only problem is that it has no drivers so its got to use the windows default drivers. This means that buttons 5 and 6 aren't buttons like the other 4 -- they actually are the Z axis. Which means that in most games you can't use them since most games don't let you assign normal game functions to axes. Very annoying...

Of course, Mega Man X (and Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which also shipped with the pad) aren't games that let you assign buttons to axes. Great planning there guys. Rolleyes

Still, if you have games that do or that only need 4 buttons its a quality pad. And it still works to this day -- unlike two newer pads I have...

-Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro -- I got this one in mid/late 1997. I badly, badly needed a new joystick since my Thunderstick was awful for most games... Rebel Assualt was hard to play with that imprecise stick. So I got a Sidewinder 3D Pro. Its a very good stick... 8 buttons, 4 axes (X/Y, Throttle, and Twist (R/Z)), and its digital so no more of those annoying trim pots. And it works very well for any games that are for joysticks... I still use it for flight sims and mech games. It made TIE Fighter and Rebel Assualt 2 a lot more fun... and came with HellBender in the box. :)

-Microsoft SideWinder Gamepad -- great, great pad. It was my main pad for years after I got it sometime in 1998. I'd still be using it sometimes if it hadn't gotten dirty... 10 buttons and a d-pad are on this pad. Its still the most comfterble gamepad I've ever used... others are close but nothing quite matches it. And its got the best shoulder buttons (triggers) on any pad ever.

The only problem is that mine got dirty over the years, and the d-pad doesn't work right anymore. I did open the pad once and clean it, but within 6 months it was dirty again and I realized that I had to get a new pad... I couldn't get it open again, probably because of how the screws chew up the plastic and become hard to get out, especially without the correct screwdriver, which I didn't have.

-Though the Sidewinder still worked, in 2000 I decided I needed an analog gamepad -- lots of games use analog pads and I thought that it'd be great to be able to play gamepad games in PC in analog too. So I got a Gravis Xterminator Gamepad. Its a nice pad with LOTS of buttons -- 11 buttons, a analog stick, a d-pad, a throttle, and a rudder axis put on two shoulder buttons. That's 6 axes total, 4 analog. The D-Pad can also be assigned to 8 buttons. It also has a hat switch, allowing 4 more actions. Its nicely designed. Its not as comfterble or as well designed as the SideWinder, and the triggers are a bit awkwardly placed, and the main buttons are very close together, and the analog stick doesn't have much range of movement... but its a solid pad. Not great, but good. However... after a year and a half or so it began to fail. It'd fail to respond sometimes. I tried installing and uninstalling the drivers, downloading the latest drivers, and anything I could think of... but it got worse. After a few months it wouldn't work at all... since then I think I got it to work once or twice but not for long, and for no apparent reason. Then it'd fail again. Its very, very frusterating... and I couldn't return it since I didn't have the reciept. So I've still got a gamepad that doesn't work lying around.

-And the last is of course the Saitek P880 that I've discussed here several times before. Very high quality pad with 10 buttons, a d-pad, and dual analog sticks (with the d-pad or main analog being a hat switch when disabled). And very large shoulder buttons.

Why write this? Well, I spent a while today trying to get that stupid Capcom pad to work as a 6-button pad. I tried to get it to work using generic Saitek 6-button and Interact 6-button drivers... but it didn't work. So I went to 3-axis 4-button. That worked.

And that darn third axis still isn't recognized as buttons in most any games.

So I tried to find a joystick keyboard emulator (to map those two axes so that the games think I'm pushing some keyboard key)... but it ... didn't work too well. I found a few, but they all were either for DOS or didn't seem to work in programs... :(

I'm bored. - Great Rumbler - 24th June 2003

Let's see, I have...None. A keyboard and a mouse work just fine for me.

I'm bored. - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2003

Not if you play any action/arcade, racing, or console/console port games on your PC, it doesn't.

I'm bored. - CartoonDevil - 24th June 2003

RTS is the only thing worth playing on PC.

I'm bored. - Great Rumbler - 24th June 2003

That's crazy talk!

I'm bored. - Darunia - 24th June 2003

A true RTS can only be experienced on PC for the time; too many complex commands and masterful strategies to be accurately done on a hand-held controller...but PC's are also good for FPSs and other genres of games. Racings games---now THERES's a genre only good on a console.

I'm bored. - Dark Jaguar - 24th June 2003

Same with fighters, but in general, yes CD is talking crazy talk. PC style Adventure games are also games that can only be done well on a PC, as are mouse driven PC style RPGs, due to the mouse. Some Adventure games have been using the controller for some odd reason, which is tolerable, but I think MI4 and Grim Fandango could have been even more enjoyable if they went the old mouse way.

I'm bored. - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2003

He is insane.

First... RTSes, Adventure games, RPGs, and FPSes are so much better on PC that its really not a comparison.

Second... action/arcade, platform, and racing games may not be as good on PC as they are on consoles, usually, but they are still good. I have a bunch of them and they are good... with a good gamepad that is.

Third... ROMS!

I'm bored. - OB1 - 10th November 2004

Man you really do like making lists.

And I'll resurrect all of the old threads that I want to! Just try and stop me!!

I'm bored. - A Black Falcon - 10th November 2004

Nothing wrong with lists...

Note how I didn't just list all the games I own on the IGN link in my sig, I also did it on my webpage (in my sig too)... and that's over 300 games... :)

You have a website? I've always just ignored your sig...

Hey I looked at your site and uh... I think your favorites list sucks. :p Rush 2049 your 15th favorite game ever? What is wrong with you?

Seriously.

I'm bored. - Great Rumbler - 10th November 2004

I know this is a bit off topic, but I just bought a NeoGeo Pocket Color and a Wonderswan Crystal.

neat

I'm bored. - Great Rumbler - 11th November 2004

Yep, I don't have any games yet for the NGPC since the place I bought it from was trying to sell some really common ones for $30 [very uncool], but I'm going to get some soon online for about $10 and that includes shipping. For the Wonderswan I've got two One Piece games, an Ultimate Muscle game, and this other game that's based on an anime...and made by Bandai...but you probably already knew that. Anyway, the Wonderswan has a better design than the NGPC, but the NGPC's has better buttons and it has that cool thumbstick, though it isn't analog.

I'm bored. - OB1 - 11th November 2004

That's pretty neat.

I'm bored. - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2004

Quote:Hey I looked at your site and uh... I think your favorites list sucks. Rush 2049 your 15th favorite game ever? What is wrong with you?

Seriously.

That hasn't been changed much in several years so don't take it as precise... but I would say that Rush 2049 is easily in the top five N64 games ever, so it's not too far down on the overall list.

Man... I've said it many times before, but you really have awful taste in games. :D

I keep trying to figure out a way to remove one of them, but I just can't, so I have to keep my top five N64 games as OoT, Mario 64, F-Zero X, Rush 2049, and Wipeout 64... I know what you're going to say, but I love all three of those racing games a lot and just can't say that one is so much worse than the other two that they should be seperated... and given that they are some of my favorite N64 games, they take up spots 3-5. Even if there are other games that deserve to also be in the top five. :)

As for the "overall" list, hmm... it's really hard to decide on such a list. First, I stick with games that I actually own to go on this list -- that's why other older games that I acknowledge as great don't show up there. That's a "best games I own overall" list, really -- like all of my lists. I don't feel that it's right to include games I don't own as I probably haven't played them as much... but yeah it could use some tweaking (though there wouldn't be many games actually being added or removed, mostly just shifting some around).

Same with the PC list -- the question isn't really if many other games belong on that list (perhaps either Quest for Glory I or IV onto it somewhere?), but more about the order. It seems like every time I think about it they shift around some... but the core actual games on that list haven't moved in a long time (and by core I mean the seven or eight games I'd mention if I was asked what my favorite PC games are... several on that list are more favorites of the time (that are great but not quite "best ever" level games), I should edit those lists... :))

Top N64 games?

-Mario 64
-Goldeneye
-Legend of Zelda: OoT
-Perfect Dark
-Legend of Zelda: MM
-Mario Party series
-Kirby
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Mischief Makers

Majora's Mask isn't on that list, the Banjo games aren't on that list, GE and PD aren't on that list, the Goemon games aren't on that list...

Man your opinion is a loser.

Yeah you heard me! Your opinion is a loser. If I ever see it walking down the street I'm not going to hesitate to trip it! Oh-ho, no sir! No siree!

My list? MM, PD, and GGA are on the list on my website (the N64 list that is)... all of those lists need editing (MM just does not deserve that spot, etc), but the idea of which games are on the list in general is sound. GE? I don't have it, and PD is way better anyway. B-T? Sorry, but I didn't quite like it as much... oh it's good, but I enjoyed DK64 more (not that it deserves a whole lot higher than its 14th place spot, but it's there...). Probably because it was the first of the Rare 3d platformers that I got so the formula was still fresh...

Your opinions = teh suck

And GR, you forgot about Banjo...

So sorry for not being your clone...

You better be!

GR: Clone?! Cloning is immoral and against nature!! *blows up OB1's house*

OB1: That wasn't my house. It was ABF's house.

GR: Oh...say you want to go play Halo 2?

OB1: Okay!

But you don't have X-Box Live...

:(

I know. :( Or Halo 2. :(

:( :( :( [Image: winky.gif] :( :( :( :(

:clap:

I'm bored. - OB1 - 12th November 2004

:bows: