Tendo City
It's unfortunate... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: It's unfortunate... (/showthread.php?tid=795)

Pages: 1 2

It's unfortunate... - Weltall - 29th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
Der...but it's true...

Hey, you know what? If the US were like Canada, and our nation had very few people who weren't white, racism wouldn't be a problem here either! Gosh damn!

It's unfortunate... - N-Man - 29th June 2003

Quote:Hey, you know what? If the US were like Canada, and our nation had very few people who weren't white, racism wouldn't be a problem here either! Gosh damn!

That's bullshit, and you know it.

It's unfortunate... - A Black Falcon - 29th June 2003

Yeah... Canada has a decent sized minority population considering their total population and they are in much better shape than the minority population in the US...

Oh, and don't use that "you outnumber me" excuse... its lame. I was outnumbered in so many arguements and that never made me quit...

It's unfortunate... - Fittisize - 29th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Weltall
Hey, you know what? If the US were like Canada, and our nation had very few people who weren't white, racism wouldn't be a problem here either! Gosh damn!

If Canada was like the US, North America would be one hate-filled continent.

It's unfortunate... - Dark Lord Neo - 30th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Weltall

While the hispanic and african-american populations are not as large in Canada as they are in the US Canada has a large Asian population and a large Arab population

It's unfortunate... - Darunia - 30th June 2003

...yet Canada has no large problems with it. Must be that your "problems" are insignificant. We have immigration (legl and illegal) problems; and the number of hispanics is rising at a dizzying rate. You already have French-English up there, ur used to it...but going ot the ATM and having a choice between English and Spanish is just upsetting.

It's unfortunate... - OB1 - 30th June 2003

It's the sign of the damn Apocolypse, I tell yer!

It's unfortunate... - N-Man - 30th June 2003

Well hey what, annex half a Catholic, third-world country and expect no repercussions? Santa Anna's ghost is coming back to haunt you, gringo. :evilcube:

It's unfortunate... - A Black Falcon - 30th June 2003

The credit card things at the supermarket have French, English and Spanish in them... why exactly is it "upsetting" to have other languages there? Because poor you can't handle those other cultures?

And Canada considering their population actually has a fairly large immigrant population. They just deal with them and manage it far, far better than we do.

It's unfortunate... - N-Man - 30th June 2003

It has a lot to do with history, also. Slaves were emancipated earlier in the British empire than in the US, and at that point we did have a very minimal black population. We also don't 'enjoy' the phenomenon of illegal immigration, (or at least less than the US-Mexico situation), which is always (and justly so) source of discontent. Personally, I fear extreme toleration on our part may lead to a similar situation as is occuring in the Netherlands: vicious Arab parties entirely refusing assimilation and Western culture, and who would gladly turn the Low Countries into a Muslim theocracy if given the chance. Eh, we'll see how it turns out.

IMHO, you guys ought to fight illegal immigration (and even traditional immigration to a certain extent) vigorously if you don't want to end up with racist groups popping up and growing in power all over the southwest. California could turn into the Balkans if not managed properly.

It's unfortunate... - A Black Falcon - 30th June 2003

But they usually do assimilate into our culture to some extent... it really is inevitable... so why would they turn into a new Balkans? Confused

It's unfortunate... - Weltall - 1st July 2003

Because if the unstemmed tide of illegal Mexicans keep pouring into the southwest, before long Hispanics will be a majority in those parts. I think the rest speaks for itself.

Quote:If Canada was like the US, North America would be one hate-filled continent.

I dunno, wasn't it the very Canadian Mapel Girl who used to complain how constantly she faced racism in her everyday world?

It's unfortunate... - A Black Falcon - 1st July 2003

True, Hispanics have gone up dramatically... they are now over 12% of the population, past Blacks I believe... but that's not a bad thing, really. Just means immigrants from a different direction.

It's unfortunate... - N-Man - 1st July 2003

The problem with heavy immigration is that at one point the "assimilation capacity" is overwhelmed by numbers: where a certain group of people manage to found a community where assimilation is no longer necessary or even beneficial for their own advancement. That's when you start to have problems of every kind.

It's unfortunate... - Weltall - 1st July 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
True, Hispanics have gone up dramatically... they are now over 12% of the population, past Blacks I believe... but that's not a bad thing, really. Just means immigrants from a different direction.

I don't mind Hispanic immigrants, except when they are ILLEGAL, and siphoning away taxpayer money for public services when they won't even bother to follow the law and go through the naturalization process.