Tendo City
Megaman & Bass - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Residential District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: The Somewhat-Monthly Review (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Nintendo (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Forum: GameBoy Advance Reviews (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+----- Thread: Megaman & Bass (/showthread.php?tid=784)

Megaman & Bass - EdenMaster - 19th June 2003

Megaman & Bass is a step back, in the right direction! Back to the days of simple, yet challenging platforming fun. 6 new robot masters, and 2 robot masters revived from Mega Man 8. The big difference is, you can either play as the hero in blue or the villain in black. Auto is back again to make you an arsenal of new power-up and items, including incredibly useful ones like an auto-charger for Mega Mans Buster, and simple yet extremely useful ones like one-time-use guards which protect you from instant death on spikes.

Each character has distinct skills, as well. Mega Man has the usuals: a slide, a chargable Buster, and Rush. Bass can perform double jumps, rapid fire shots, and Treble. Not to mention the plethora of extra stuff you can buy with bolts from Auto. Of course, you also acquire enemy skills once they kill the respective Robot Masters.

To make things interesting, Dr. Wily is not the antagonist of this game, it's a new villain named King. King calls himself the most powerful robot in the world, and is spreading the philosophy that powerful robots should rule over the earth. Mega Man can't have that, and Bass is quite sure that HE is the most powerful robot in the world. So both of em have a bone to pick with King, yet only one can succeed.

Also, there's more than energy and weapon capsules and bolts to find, King has stolen 100 CDs from Rolls CD collection, and each one contains information on robots from previous games, as well as other important characters from the series. You see robot data from Mega Man 1 straight up through the Playstation games (only numbered, not X). They're pretty cool to hunt down and find, and each one brings up nostalgic memories from days past.

Your Robot Masters!

Cold Man - Launches walls of ice towards you while jumping around and forming annoying little clouds which slow you down, prevent you from shooting, and restrict your jumping.

Astro Man - Remember him? He formes holographic copies of himself and flies around. He is also very difficult to hi since only hits on this top half count.

Ground Man: One of the most stubborn bosses, he jumps mostly, but also tunnels underground and comes up to surprise you, also climbs into the ceiling and comes down with a gigantic drill attack.

Burner Man - He's really fast and does a lot of damage, so you kind of need his weakness weapon to defeat him. He lays mines, throws grenades, and uses a flamethrower, among other things.

Pirate Man - He throws homing mines and jumps around a lot. If you have the weapon which hurts him, though, he's a breeze.

Dynamo Man - I take back what I said about Ground Man, Dynamo Man is the most stubborn boss. He has a lightning attack which hits the whole screen, and when his health is low, he jumps into a recharging station to regain health. If you don't destroy both sides quicky, he'll completely replenish hs health and your job gets much tougher.

Tengu Man - He's back too. He spends much of his time airborne, and throws blade and cyclones at you. You'd better have quick reflexes to beat Tengu Man.

Magic Man - Throws cards at you which, if they hit you, they replenish Magic Man's health. Also tosses balls of energy at you which drop annoying little robots which hold you and make you a target. Tough to beat.

In conculsion, it would be absolute heresy to miss out on this game, you don't even need to be a series fan to have a ball with this game. I give Mega Man and Bass a 9.0! BUY IT NOW!

Megaman & Bass - Dark Jaguar - 7th June 2005

I wanted to add (though in the past I already pointed this out to EM) that he may not have beaten the game at the time of this writing. I point this out because, well, Wily IS the main villian this time around. I don't consider this a spoiler only because not only is Wily ALWAYS the main villian, ALWAYS, but he's also done the whole fake scapegoat villian routine like 5 times now.

Let's see... He played innocent in MM3 and it was just "crazed robots" (which you later find out he built). In MM4 it was Dr. Cossack, who was being coerced into making robots by Wily because Wily was holding his daughter hostage. In MM5 he puts the blame on Protoman by making a fake one. In MM6 he uses his stupidest scapegoat. He changes his appearence a little and just calls himself "Mr. X" (which, I guess, what, was supposed to prevent this particular crime spree from being added to his list of crimes if he was stopped? Lot of good that did, because he just revealed his identity when he was stopped and kept going...). In MM5 for Gameboy he makes it appear as though his robots are alien invaders, though in reality he built them using a material he discovered in the outer planets. And yes, in MM&B he actually created King and gave him free will to take the blame off himself and POSSIBLY take over the world while at the same time testing Bass.

So sorry, not only is he the villian, you really should have known, deep down, that he was.

Megaman & Bass - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2005

Yeah, just like how Sigma is always the final boss in an X game, Wily is always the final boss in a MM game...

But hey, it's probably better to make the story slightly more interesting, as opposed to "well Wily is trying to take over again, get at it!"...

Yeah, it's all well and good. I'm just saying EM should have KNOWN better.

I can understand though. With Wily being the baddy in every game, you just WANT there to be a new villian.

Megaman & Bass - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2005

I don't know, having the same badguy every time is part of the charm of the series, in a way... :)

It is, isn't it?