Tendo City
Favorite WOT book? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Favorite WOT book? (/showthread.php?tid=781)

Pages: 1 2

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 19th June 2003

I still like Eye of the World best of all of them, as it was much faster-paced than the series has been of late.

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 19th June 2003

With nine books [still haven't read the tenth] it's kind of hard to pick out what events happened in which book, so I'll say Eye of World. I can usually remember everything that happened in it. :)

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2003

I haven't read book ten yet either.

Of the first nine... I don't know. Yeah, it is hard to remember what happened where... they fit together so well. :)

I guess maybe the first one, but its not actually the best... just the one you remember most. As for best... I don't know.

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 20th June 2003

After the first time through I would have said Lord of Chaos because of Dumai's Wells, but now I like The Dragon Reborn the most. The second time reading it I was amazed at how all the main plots came together at the very end in such a great way. The whole book was so good. I just finished Eye of the World for the third time and I liked it even more than ever before, but I still think TDR is the best. Lord of Chaos, The Great Hunt, and Winter's Heart all had really good endings, but the rest wasn't that great. The Shadow Rising was really good too, because of Perrin's part, but I am biased to Rand and TDR was great throughout and the ending was fantastic.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 22nd June 2003

Lord of Chaos was great... but they all were! None of the nine books is less than great so choosing a best one is so hard... :)

And I don't have time to reread them all right now...

Maybe Lord of Chaos, I don't know... but I agree about Winter's Heart -- great ending but the middle wasn't as good as some previous books.

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 24th June 2003

I didn't really like A Crown of Swords, Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, or Crossroads of Twilight. They were all still good, but a lot slower and just not as exciting as the earlier books. There are just too many characters now so nothing significant happens. Crossroads was good but I was really hoping for more from the last quarter of the book.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2003

Er... disliking the last 4 books? That's not good...

I think that its still as good as it was. Sure, there are a LOT of characters, and the story is moving quite slowly, but I really don't mind that. I like long serieses. Which is obvious when you consider that I own somewhere around 60 Star Wars books... :)

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 24th June 2003

Yeah, I am a bit worried that I've been disapointed with the last 4 books. It's not a good sign. :) It could just be too much anticipation, but I don't think that's it. And either way I'm hopeful that it will pick up soon. RJ says it will be over in 3 books... ;)

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2003

Yeah, over in three books. Right.

Wasn't it originally supposed to be like 3 books or something? :)

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 25th June 2003

Longest. Series. Ever.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 25th June 2003

Hardly. Its pretty long but there are longer ones... in number of books, for sure...

It is probably one of the longest serieses by a single author, though. But there are longer ones, especially if you count multi-author serieses.

There are hundreds of Star Trek books, for example...

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 27th June 2003

Yeah, and there are a bajillion Hardy Boy books. I don't know about the Star Trek books, but the one thing about WOT is that it is one continuing story where the Hardy Boys weren't.

ABF, the WOT was originally planned to be 3 books. And every time a new one is released RJ says he thinks he can finish in just 3 more! :D

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 27th June 2003

Star Trek isn't a continuing series. Once in a while they refer to previous ones and there are some sereieses in it but most are single books.

Star Wars also has a lot of books -- probably at least 70 now. And the New Jedi Order is a long continuing series maybe 20 books long now... and the rest of them have continuity between serieses (because most of the rest of the books are in 3-book trilogies). They aren't one continuing series and have lots of authors, but its best to have read the previous ones because the story does continue... though of course Star Wars books are a LOT thinner than a Robert Jordan book. :)

Oh, and yeah, I thought I'd heard it referred to as 3 books originally... its why I doubt he'll finish it in 3 books now. :)

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 27th June 2003

Krondor is longer than WOT by three books.

But the books are not nearly as thick.

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 27th June 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
But the books are not nearly as thick.

Yes, but you really have to admit, some of the WOT books are loaded with filler. Especially the last few.

Filler... no, not filler. Details. I like details... and have no problem at all with the slow pace of the plot. :)

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 15th July 2003

How did book 3 get 100000 votes!! Eek

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 16th July 2003

Gee, I don't know...

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 16th July 2003

A better question is "which mod threw the vote?"

It wasn't me. :)

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 17th July 2003

Gee, I don't know that either...

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 17th July 2003

It's probably the admit who said in this thread that The Dragon Reborn was his favorite WOT book.

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 18th July 2003

Hmmm, I bet that's a good guess.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 18th July 2003

Yeah, that would make sense... :D

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2003

It was someone whose name ryhmed with "Spazer Dink".

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2003

Gee, be more obvious, will you?

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2003

Okay. It was Laser Link.

Favorite WOT book? - Dark Jaguar - 21st July 2003

Well, with there being 10000 votes LL added, I decided to even things up a bit...

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2003

Wow, we sure have a lot of members!

Favorite WOT book? - OB1 - 21st July 2003

My personal favorite WOT book is "The Wheels of Time: The Time That Wheels Stood Still Part IV: Wheels That Time Let Go Volume VII: WHEELS! WOT!".

I love that book. Awesome stuff.

Favorite WOT book? - Dark Jaguar - 21st July 2003

Yeah, but you must consider that my evening up was a result of many of my personas casting their lot into this. I thought I never even heard about WOT, but apparently I'm also a big fan somewhere...

Remember how Rand'al Thor cast forth the mana stones to ressurect the lost city of De'gaust?

Favorite WOT book? - OB1 - 21st July 2003

I thought it was way cooler when Sorvamathe stole the sword from Garfafameen's castle.

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 25th July 2003

Well, Sorvamathe...wait, I've been down this road before and the only place it leads is complete insanity. I'm not going down this road again!!

Favorite WOT book? - OB1 - 25th July 2003

Haha! That's what you think!

YES! That is what I think! And what I KNOW!!

Favorite WOT book? - OB1 - 25th July 2003

HaHAAAA.......

ah....

yeah.

Uh-oh!

Favorite WOT book? - Laser Link - 12th August 2003

I just finished The Dragon Reborn for the third time, and man that book rocks! Definently the best in the series. It all comes together so well at the very end, and it's a perfect balance between the characters being absolutely helpless pansies in the first 2 books and the all powerful super heroes that they are now.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2004

I got Crossroads of Twilight a week and a half ago, and just finished it recently. Another great book in this fantasy series that is certainly right near the top of the list of the best fantasy serieses of all time... slow? Yeah. Fine. I don't care. I love Jordan's writing style and I think it's great... I love the detail. You could make them shorter and speed things up but you'd lose so much of the detail that makes the books so good... I wouldn't want it that way. So yes, in CoT things don't go too far and you're left at the end with everyone's story hanging, some in dramatic points and some in similar ones to where they started the book, and knowing that it'll be some time until it continues...

Now with some authors I do get tired of the 800 page books and endless detal (Tad Williams (Otherland and Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn serieses) I think could stand to shorten up and/or focus a bit better, as I love his books but find reading them for the time it takes tough... and I think that Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth) just needs to cut back on the pages a bit... he just drags in places, I think...), but Robert Jordan? For some reason I don't feel that at all with him. I love how much detail he's got in his.

That of course is the biggest problem, the wait between volumes... it's cruel I say... and of course by the time you get to the next book it's been years and you've forgotten so much that you need to keep looking back or trying to remember who people were or what they were doing...

Anyway, I don't want it to end anytime soon. I do want him to finish the series someday, obviously, but not anytime soon. It's far too good, and too detailed... yes things are building for sure but there is so much potential for the future... and I love to see what happens. I like serieses that go on and on and on... if the quality stays up it's better of course, though. Take Dune for example. I liked the six old original books but IMO the new ones (by a different author since Frank Herbert is dead) just aren't the same. Not nearly as good, I have to say.

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 25th January 2004

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 25th January 2004

In all fairness, even more than that I was looking forward to "Talon of the Silver Hawk" by Ray Feist, as the Midkemia series has always been my favorite fantasy series.

While it was neat seeing how the world had changed in the roughly 60 years since Serpentwar (and how the new King of Isles is Ryan :D:D:D), the book itself was disappointing, I never finished it, and I don't like the direction the series is taking.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2004

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 30th January 2004

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2004

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2004

Forgetful aren't you...

Favorite WOT book? - Dark Jaguar - 8th February 2004

So many of these books I've never heard of, but I've never really been one to read a lot of books that have, you know, stories. I tend to read a lot of fact books more than anything.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2004

I'd think you would read some, given that you like humor... well this certainly is not humor, but there's fantasy humor out there... Discworld for instance...

Favorite WOT book? - Dark Jaguar - 8th February 2004

Heard of it, not really interested. Something about living luggage saying it's time's problem that it takes a long time to catch up to some wizard or something... No thanks.

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2004

Very, very funny series. Best fantasy humor, definitely.

And ruling something out while knowing anything about it is just idiotic!

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 9th February 2004