Tendo City
Bill Maher - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Bill Maher (/showthread.php?tid=7450)

Bill Maher - Dark Jaguar - 5th April 2023

In his old age this man's become a complete waste of a neoliberal.  He's promoted antivaccine rhetoric a number of times, went after pretty much any progressive plan, spoke from his rich tower about how the young poor aren't the SAME poor as his generation's poor and thus need to stop complaining, and gone after trans people as wanting too much too fast (where most of us would take the "injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere" stance).

But now, now he's saying that Trump, who he won't deny committed a LOT of crimes, shouldn't even be TRIED for them, not even at the state level like the case currently going on in New York.

The man is honestly arguing a sentiment I've seen here and there that "but we have to think of the political ramifications of this".  No, the legal system should absolutely not be worried about polling numbers, nor should it be concerned about violent repercussions.  It didn't when the mafia was threatening judges with direct violence, and it shouldn't now.  First people were arguing that a "sitting president" shouldn't be tried because, I guess, the whole nation would instantly collapse if there wasn't an acting president (never mind that the whole series of succession such as the vice president's office was made TO allow the country to continue functioning in such an event, and we WILL see a president die in office again, especially as old as our presidents are getting now).  Look, I'm not saying there isn't a risk of violence, or a risk that this could influence enough voters to let him win another election, but whether or not he's guilty and gets punished for his crimes should not EVER take those factors into consideration, or we only have laws for the commoners, not for the nobility.  Sometimes, the deterrence theory of punishment is actually valid, and this is one of them.  No consequences means no one at the top will bat an eye at trying to break laws.  Trump, the most obvious criminal that ever was, got away with countless crimes, they'll all be thinking.

As for these consequences, the protestors and counter protestors in the streets have yet to come to blows, and Trump's popularity is waning bit by bit with each passing month.  I'm not saying SOME violence in the streets won't happen, but I am saying it's worth it.  Stop being so gutless Maher.  But, moving forward, what about this turning him "into a martyr"?  The deepest die hards were going to vote for Trump either way, but polling data hasn't shown a bit of this "effect" they think will happen.  People are more sick of Trump than the coverage of Trump.  Remember that Trump lost the last election BEFORE the Jan. 6 insurrection.  He lost it BEFORE stealing military secrets and risking national security for his vanity.  What do you think his reputation is going to be now?

Keep in mind this is the WEAKEST case against Trump.  In the long run, it'll be a good thing this one was done first so that much stronger cases are what follows.  Does anyone really honestly think that among the majority of voters, they're going to see all these legal challenges and think BETTER of Trump for it?

Oh and to that one news caster who said Trump looked "sad" and so we should remember he's human and what a shame he's in the legal system.  I HOPE THE FORMER PRESIDENT NEVER HAS A SINGLE MOMENT OF HAPPINESS FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE!  He deserves for all the bad things in the world to happen to him and only to him.  Children fleeing from U.S. caused tyrannical rule in Central America were stolen from their parents and raped in cages by racist monsters because of him!

RE: Bill Maher - A Black Falcon - 12th April 2023

The political ramifications for this is someone being charged for a crime they certainly committed.  How absolutely horrible, huh?

So yeah, on this I entirely agree.  There is no serious case against charging Trump.  That he has such a grip on a significant number of people that they rally around him because he finally was charged for one of the numerous crimes he has committed is absolutely horrible and says a lot about how far our democracy has fallen, but it should not stop anyone for a second from charging him because without rule of law this nation means nothing.

As for Bill Maher, there was a time when he made a lot of good points, but yeah he's been going down the wrong path for a long time now.  It's pretty sad.

RE: Bill Maher - Dark Jaguar - 12th April 2023

(12th April 2023, 8:58 AM)A Black Falcon Wrote: The political ramifications for this is someone being charged for a crime they certainly committed.  How absolutely horrible, huh?

So yeah, on this I entirely agree.  There is no serious case against charging Trump.  That he has such a grip on a significant number of people that they rally around him because he finally was charged for one of the numerous crimes he has committed is absolutely horrible and says a lot about how far our democracy has fallen, but it should not stop anyone for a second from charging him because without rule of law this nation means nothing.

As for Bill Maher, there was a time when he made a lot of good points, but yeah he's been going down the wrong path for a long time now.  It's pretty sad.

It's not him that changed, it's the world.  We kept pushing forward past what he was raised to believe.  The biggest danger in keeping the same beliefs you were raised in is that you never learn to question them later on.  It's a painful thing, but once you learn that skill, it can take you further and further and you'll never find yourself looking at the next generation and saying "these kids today don't know how lucky they are" or some other silly thing.  The thing about progress is, it never stops.  I know for a fact now, even if I don't know the specifics, that there's some deeply held beliefs I have about the world that are wrong and that future generations will hold as backwards and oppressive.  In understanding that, I leave myself open to being corrected by the next generation when that time comes.  Bill here however was raised in a neoliberal mindset, which at the time rhymed with a lot of progressive ideas, but not others.  As society pushed on, he got to pat himself on the back for his good luck in being raised the right way, only for society to KEEP moving on past the backwards beliefs he, and society at large, didn't yet realize they had.  Now he's bitter about it.  The same thing happened to JoKe Rowling.