Tendo City
That there Queen - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: That there Queen (/showthread.php?tid=7409)

That there Queen - Dark Jaguar - 9th September 2022

First of all, the entirety of my thoughts regarding her death is... my condolences to the family.

Beyond that, her life oversaw a lot of rather evil things that she refused to take a stand on such as, but not limited to, the Irish "troubles" and um, "Brexit".  More than that, the royal family has centuries and centuries to answer for of terrible colonialism.  Now, I don't believe in inheriting guilt or praise for your family line's achievements... but the royal family absolutely DOES believe in that and that particular "inheritance" is baked into British law and grants them authority by birthright.  It's valid in this case to bring up the guilt of their family, and to do so again and again until the day the royal family is disbanded as an institution.

So, all the media's fawning over their every move, from births to weddings to funerals, disgusts me quite a bit.  This is especially true coming from U.S. media.  I mean, what's with this "dynasty worship" in a land that is supposed to reject inherited authority entirely?  Just listen to the words they use to describe every even in their lives, calling them "fairy tale" moments or describing the princes and princesses as especially regal as though they have divinely gifted beauty above and beyond us mere peasantry.  It's worrying to say the least.

So yes, my condolences to the family, and yes due to their position of authority of course this is newsworthy, but can we stop with the hyperbole?  This is not going to be "as memorable as 9/11", and the comparison is sickening.  (Oh yes, I do remember where I was when I first found out about the attacks on 9/11.  I was right here reading about it in Tendo City and thought it was part of Tendo's "old news reported as new" running gag we had going back then, and a reference to the older attach on the world trade center.  Whoops....)

RE: That there Queen - Weltall - 10th September 2022

We gawther here to mourn the big mum herself. What a sequel, eh, folks? Felt like a whole epic all by herself. But after 96 years of running from her royal dirt nap, the Almighty announced today that they've signed Liz II to a fully guaranteed eternity contract. Whether it's in hell or heaven is not for us to know, but I think we all are hoping she packed her summer clothes. Anyway, rest in pieces. She's just an extra fancy billionaire who's more inbred than at least half of the rest of them.

RE: That there Queen - etoven - 12th September 2022

So in lew of posting a new thread since it relates so much. Reddit's AI seems to be developing some contraverional feelings on some things. 

RE: That there Queen - Dark Jaguar - 13th September 2022

You don't need AI for that.  Kotaku posted a news post about Nintendo respecting the mourning period (of indeterminate length) of an entire country and the very first post, the first one?  "Fuck the Monarchy".  I mean, I can't say I disagree.

RE: That there Queen - etoven - 14th September 2022

(13th September 2022, 12:53 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: You don't need AI for that.  Kotaku posted a news post about Nintendo respecting the mourning period (of indeterminate length) of an entire country and the very first post, the first one?  "Fuck the Monarchy".  I mean, I can't say I disagree.

I get the king but what did the queen ever do to anyone?
Except create the album the news of the world.. The queen did that for everyone.

RE: That there Queen - Dark Jaguar - 16th September 2022

Those who have the means have the responsibility to act.

RE: That there Queen - A Black Falcon - 19th September 2022

It's sad for her family, but the British queen's death is not something the American media should be spending a significant amount of time on.  It is not internationally important in any way, it's only "important" to celebrity gossip magazines and such who want to try to convince people that Americans should actually care about the British royal family, which we shouldn't.  Getting rid of a monarchy is one of the best things the Founders did.

So yeah, it's really unfortunate to see how much focus the American media is giving the whole thing.  Come ON, we are not England!

Quote:(Oh yes, I do remember where I was when I first found out about the attacks on 9/11.  I was right here reading about it in Tendo City and thought it was part of Tendo's "old news reported as new" running gag we had going back then, and a reference to the older attach on the world trade center.  Whoops....)

I learned about the 9/11 attacks from Tendo City as well, because most of the big news websites were down that morning and this was of course the next place I went...

RE: That there Queen - Dark Jaguar - 26th September 2022

(19th September 2022, 9:18 PM)A Black Falcon Wrote: It's sad for her family, but the British queen's death is not something the American media should be spending a significant amount of time on.  It is not internationally important in any way, it's only "important" to celebrity gossip magazines and such who want to try to convince people that Americans should actually care about the British royal family, which we shouldn't.  Getting rid of a monarchy is one of the best things the Founders did.

So yeah, it's really unfortunate to see how much focus the American media is giving the whole thing.  Come ON, we are not England!
Quote:(Oh yes, I do remember where I was when I first found out about the attacks on 9/11.  I was right here reading about it in Tendo City and thought it was part of Tendo's "old news reported as new" running gag we had going back then, and a reference to the older attach on the world trade center.  Whoops....)

I learned about the 9/11 attacks from Tendo City as well, because most of the big news websites were down that morning and this was of course the next place I went...

I mean, it IS important in that the Queen may have been a figurehead, but that was her choice and there's no telling if the new King will take the same "hands off" approach.  Fact is, he COULD actually decide to use the power of the crown, which is still maintained by it.  Heck technically the authority and power of law in England stems FROM the monarchy itself, and as a result of that legal distinction, the King or Queen doesn't need a passport to enter foreign countries, period, because a passport's authority stems from their position in the first place.  Point is, it is important in a global political sense, but absolutely NOT in a "revere the crown, this is a sad day and the tears of the kingdom shall fill an ocean of woes, oooooh if only we had a monarch to revere as they do!" sort of way.

It's not reporting on it, as it's newsworthy and important, it's the utter reverential obsession our media has that sickens me.  And yes, really all that need be said is, "She's dead, this man's taking over the roll" and perhaps a few opinion pieces on what kind of ruler the new King is going to be.

RE: That there Queen - Dark Jaguar - 28th September 2022

A solid video in soft tones.  Also I hate his shirt and want to burn it.

More to the point, systems will never allow you to change them within themselves.  You've always got to do something disruptive to accomplish that.  That includes occasionally burning down a police station, so long as you can manage it without killing anyone.