Tendo City
Review requests! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Review requests! (/showthread.php?tid=7374)

Review requests! - Dark Jaguar - 12th April 2022

I'm cooking up a little idea to "increase engagement".  (Ugh I feel dirty even saying that...)
In the review thread, I'm posting a couple "Open Requests" for reviews from anyone that might want to add their thoughts on this or that specific game.  In keeping with the nature of the review forum, feel free to add your own thoughts or even full review right after whoever initially gets their review in.

My first two requests are quite a pair, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

RE: Review requests! - Sacred Jellybean - 2nd May 2022

Sorry for having not visited. I feel like an absentee father. Glad there are a couple other dads to pick up my slack.

I've played a few good games lately, would be happy to add my thoughts when I get some time. :)

RE: Review requests! - Sacred Jellybean - 2nd May 2022

where's the review thread

RE: Review requests! - Dark Jaguar - 2nd May 2022

https://www.tendocity.net/showthread.php?tid=7372
https://www.tendocity.net/showthread.php?tid=7373

RE: Review requests! - Sacred Jellybean - 4th May 2022

(2nd May 2022, 12:53 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: https://www.tendocity.net/showthread.php?tid=7372
https://www.tendocity.net/showthread.php?tid=7373

I haven't played either of those D: I'll make a new topic though when I have a moment. What are your thoughts?

RE: Review requests! - Dark Jaguar - 4th May 2022

I wasn't expected to get called out like that!

RE: Review requests! - A Black Falcon - 4th May 2022

My thoughts are that the PS1 isn't a very good console, play better things instead. :)

(4th May 2022, 12:58 PM)A Black Falcon Wrote: My thoughts are that the PS1 isn't a very good console, play better things instead. :)

Wait seriously?  I'd have thought you put the "console wars" behind you by this point what with all the obscure consoles and games you've picked up over the years.  There's plenty of amazing games on the Playstation and you do yourself a disservice to dismiss it out of hand.  Heck there's even alternative controllers out there if you're not a fan of the feel of the stock controller.  You can still get the console and a chunk of amazing games for cheap.  For example, if you want to try out some platformers, knowing that you aren't a fan of the Crash series, try Crash's best bud Spyro's games on for size.  They're collectathonish games with excellent controls.

I know that JRPGs aren't your thing either, but if you enjoy strategy games which you seem to, Come to Ogre Battaaaaaal, and Let Us Cling Together in Tactics Ogre.  Final Fantasy Tactics is Somebody to Love and you can Do the Fandango in Vagrant Story if you're up for a very unique and well written take on turn based combat with strategic location in the field as a focus.

Megaman X4 is, to me, the very best of the X series.  Metal Gear Solid is a classic worth experiencing, but I'll admit that Twin Snakes functions as a total replacement to that game.  Megaman Legends 1 and 2 are pretty good games in themselves.  Oh, and I can't forget Intelligent Qube, a platformery puzzle game.  There's Silent Hill 1 which kicked off an amazing franchise.  There's the Point Blank series, which is "What if Warioware, but light guns?  Also we did it first!"

There's two amazing Castlevania games.  Castlevania Chronicles is one of the best of the classic style games where you go level to level (it's a remake of the first game, much like Castlevania IV), and Symphony of the Night is.... it's Symphony of the Night!

There's a lot more out there too!  Anyway, you really need to pick up one of those to add to your collection.

RE: Review requests! - A Black Falcon - 4th May 2022

... You haven't seen my list of how I rank all the consoles I own, have you.  But yes, I still greatly dislike Sony, and think that this industry would be better off if they weren't in it.  Sony has never made a console really worth having.  I mean, I have a lot of games for the PS1,2,3,4,PSP, and Vita because I have a lot of games, but that doesn't mean I hate Sony any less than I ever have, I don't.  Sony is bad for the industry.  (Yes, I have like 330 PS1 games despite this, I admit to some hypocrisy.  But most of them are exclusives...)

The PS1 probably is the "best" Sony console because it has a lot of really weird experimental stuff on it, but considering the competition that's not much of a compliment.  I ranked all 39 consoles I owned as of late 2019 on an article on my site here: https://blackfalcongames.net/?p=1308 and the PS1 finished 28th out of 39.   I've thought of making another update to that list, since some things probably have moved a bit  -- maybe NES up and Dreamcast down, add the consoles/computers I've gotten in the last few years... but the PS1 certainly wouldn't be moving up, much less any of their other consoles.  It'd only move down.

I maintain as I always have that, excepting obvious garbage like the N-Gage, all cellphones or smartphones, and the R-Zone, the Playstation 2 is the worst console ever made.  I hate that thing so much...

In general, what interests me about the PS1 are the weird exclusive games, so yeah, not most of those games you mentioned.  Of those I do love Mega Man X4 of course, but as a PC game, not PS1.  I got it for PS1 back when it was new and finished it then.  I do also have it in collections on Gamecube and Xbox One, but haven't replayed it since the late' 90s...

Other than that though, that's a mixed bag of games I quite dislike (Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill, for instance), total mediocrity (Megaman 64), games that have sequels I'd rather play (SotN? Blah, I'll stick to the DS ones), boring and annoying games for children (any Spyro game, they're so bland and empty and the voice acting is so obnoxious...), some games I just don't find engaging enough to keep going more than a little bit into (FF Tactics for instance), a game I like in theory except it's impossibly hard (Castlevania Chronicles), etc.  I did summaries of a bunch of these games in my two PS1 Game Opinion Summaries lists some years back.  Not SotN, but yes the others I mentioned here.  (Obviously Megaman 64 is in the N64 one since I don't have it for PS1.)

I should get and play Intelligent Qube and Vagrant Story, I still don't have those.  Both do look interesting and always have but somehow I've never gotten them.  Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle are SNES ports, not really PS1 games.  I would not play them on PS1 if I ever did want to play those games.

When it comes to 'of your huge collection what do you actually play?', the answer usually is Switch or 3DS games, those are the two systems I use just about daily.  Other than that it's less common.  I highly doubt I have turned on my PS2 (which I also use for PS1 games) this year.  Good, it deserves no better.  The controllers are awful and the graphics bad (particularly for issues like the awful texture warping on the PS1, the horrid jaggies and the worst image quality of the generation on the PS2, etc.), among other issues.

What have I used when I do play one of my other consoles or old computers, this year so far? Hmm... Atari Jaguar, yes, and Jag CD.  I played a Jag CD game yesterday.  Atari 5200 certainly.  Wii and Wii U.  NES.  Xbox Series X, of course.  Also the TI 99/4A and Apple II, for sure. PS4... I think I have, yes.  Nintendo DS as well, and Vita.  Also Sega Genesis (+ 32X), TurboGrafx CD, and probably some random other stuff.

Today I have played some Kirby and the Forgotten Land and a few 3DS games.

The PS2 worst ever made?  Huh...  Alright, well I don't really understand that but okay.  What makes Sony worse for the industry than Microsoft?