Tendo City
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Batman: Arkham Asylum (/showthread.php?tid=7348)

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Sacred Jellybean - 31st October 2021

I've heard about this game for years. Just beat it a couple days ago. Not bad, not bad. I like that they got Hamill and the other Batman guy to reprise Joker and Batman's voices, respectively. And Harley, who they fan serviced up. Probably other VAs too, idk.

Fighting engine's pretty good, but for the life of me, I can't land those critical strikes outside of luck. You're supposed to press the button just as Batman's fist/foot connects with the bad guy, right? Fuck. Ain't happening. I'm too lazy to extensively go in practice mode to perfect it, even though it'd probably make my life easier. I think the same studio made Shadows of Mordor, because the gameplay is super similar, to the point where it almost feels like a palate swap to capitalize on various franchises. Maybe it is.

I realized I fucking suck at video games now. I frequently press the wrong button (going into map vs detective mode, for instance), or forget which button I need to press is on which side of the controller. Guess I don't play enough games these days, but damn, you'd think by the end of the game, I'd have gotten the hang of it.

I kind of liked how I didn't have to feel compelled to look through every single damned nook and cranny to make sure I got everything I needed. Oh sure, you could get Riddler's trophies and shit, but it was kind of a relief to not feel pressured to scour for ammo, or that if you didn't find and exhaustively search every room, you'd miss cool things.

I just came off of playing the Bioshock Trilogy for the first time (maybe I'll write about that too), and I definitely felt it there. It's that damned gameplay rule of "go the wrong way and loop back around", which always leads me to questioning "which way is the wrong way" and trying to figure that out, going back and forth, no wait I think it's this way, ah fuck a cutscene, I hope I can go back

So it felt cool just to be batman and use cool batman gadgets and shit and get somewhat immersed into the experience instead of being aware that I was playing a game and had to do things. Batman's not really my favorite franchise, but I loved The Animated Series as a kid, so getting a proper game out of it feels nice.

It's kinda weird to be walking around as a bulky greek statue, though. Like it looks uncomfortable to have all those muscles, and unrealistic. I don't need that many muscles when battling giant plant tentacles and thwarting a plot to inject people full of a super steroid toxin that turns them into incredible hulks. Tone it down. Batman is OP. You can't be a super smart detective and inventor and body builder and ninja and psychologist and criminologist all at once. It doesn't work that way. That's like a team of people. Don't stretch my suspension of disbelief that far when I'm rumbling with a giant Joker dinosaur.

So I got the full trilogy for $15 on a deal that apparently only had a four day window. Sweet! Been hearing about these games for years, like I said. Onto Arkham City, with an interlude of Metroid Dread in the mean time. And maybe Silent Hill: Downpour, which my friend told me is the last good classic Silent Hill game.

'Tis the season, after all. Happy Halloween!