Tendo City
Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! (/showthread.php?tid=7335)

Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! - A Black Falcon - 23rd September 2021

Nintendo just had a Direct earlier today, and they had a bunch of announcements but one, for me, was the best by far.

I have been Kirby fan since the first game in the series, but in all that time, for all of the Kirby games that have been made over the years, one thing has long been missing: a 3d platformer!  I have wanted to see what a 3d Kirby game could be since at least the later '90s, but it has never happened...

Until now.  Launching in early 2022 Nintendo just announced Kirby and the Forgotten Land for the Switch.  It is a 3d platformer. Starring Kirby.  Based on the trailer it looks like so much fun, I'm really excited!

The game does seem to sometimes have a pulled-back, kind of overhead camera, but other areas are directly behind the character so the game will have various camera views.  This clearly is a real, full-on 3d platformer.  It looks like a mid-budget title, but the Kirby games generally are that.  The footage looks great, with elements somewhat reminiscent of 3d Mario games, but this is a distinctly Kirby adventure in terms of enemies and music.  Kirby 2, 3, and 64's power-combining feature returns as well, which is pretty cool!  That always was one of the best things about those games.  

The big question isn't answered here, though -- what about the thing that always was going to be the hardest part about making a Kirby game in 3d, his power of flight?  I am expecting limited flight, but in this trailer they don't show it eitehr way so we will see.  Unlimited flight is the best way for a Kirby game to work but it would be nearly impossible to make a 3d platformer with actual challenge if you could just fly anywhere at any time, heh...

Oh, as for the setting, it's somewhat surprising for a Kirby game -- it's set in an empty, abandoned city on an island that Kirby just washed up on.  What happened here... and what is with Nintendo and abandoned-world themes, two games in this Direct have them, both Kirby and Splatoon 3.  I think both settings will work well though, they sure are looking interesting in the trailers.

So yeah, this game doesn't look like a 3d Mario game or Breath of the Wild-tier budget game but it looks great and I'm just thrilled that Nintendo announced it!

RE: Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! - Dark Jaguar - 26th September 2021

Why wouldn't they show the world like that?  Have you looked around lately?  We're kinda doomed.

RE: Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! - A Black Falcon - 26th September 2021

True, that is a pretty likely direction things are heading in, can't disagree.

At least Kirby will be able to enjoy himself after the apocalypse though, heh...

RE: Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! - A Black Falcon - 20th March 2022

So, Kirby and the Forgotten Land releases soon.  To help get some excitement for the release, Nintendo released a demo of the game recently, and I finally got around to playing it... and yes, it's fantastic!  The demo has the first level, one other stage from the first world, and the first boss.  I've loved Kirby games since the original one, of course.  The 8-bit Kirby games always have been my favorites though, and that is unlikely to change.  This one is a lot of fun however, with good level designs, good controls, and tons of adorable Kirby charm.  This game has linear, somewhat isometric-ish stages, which are about a screen deep most of the time and scroll either sideways or into the screen.  So, it's a bit like Mario 3D World in that respect, which is a very good thing indeed.  Exploring the levels, looking for stuff, using the powers, and such all are fantastically fun.  I'm really looking forward to this one and definitely will get it right after release.

For negatives, really the only major one is that you don't have unlimited flight here.  Instead, as in Kirby 64, you have only limited flight, you tire out after not long and have to land.  I have always considered that to be the worst and most annoying thing about that game, so it's really unfortunate to see it here.  It makes this game much more about moving around on the ground than the mixture of ground and air movement I expect from Kirby.

And on that note, you also can't go very high, at all.  Basically you can float at about the max jump height and that's it, you can't go higher.  Kirby and the Forgotten Land may be the first 3d Kirby game, but it kind of feels like it trades a classic Kirby games' vertical component for two horizontal axes instead.  Now, you can still float,  and I get why they have this height limit, it's for game design purposes, but Kirby is the hero who can fly!  Here you can only kind of do that.  Ah well...

Oh, and power combinations aren't here.  You just get one power at once.  Instead powers can improve in strength as you upgrade them.  That's a decent idea which could add something to the game, we'll see in the full title.

Again though, other than this I like this game a lot.  If this is representative of the games' difficulty level it will be quite easy, but that's fine if it is as fun as this is. And there are a lot of hidden things to find in each level, which is great.  Most Kirby games have plenty of hidden stuff to find and this one is no exception.  Oh yeah, and the Mouthful mode powerups, such as car Kirby, traffic cone Kirby, and more, are ridiculously cute too, and add some interesting temporary powers as well.  This game is so much fun...

RE: Nintendo is finally making a 3d Kirby platformer! At last! - Dark Jaguar - 21st March 2022

Some have wondered if this was going to be "open world", I never was under such illusions, and I don't think every game needs to be open world.  I adore Elden Ring, but I also still enjoy more linear platformers, and this "Super Mario 3D Land" style game looks like just the kind of high concept thing to gnaw on.

In the past, Kirby games have really pushed system hardware.  Kirby's Adventure on NES is still one of the best looking games on that system.  Kirby's Dreamland 2 pushes the Super Gameboy's coloring to it's absolute limits.  Kirby Super Star uses that amazing SA-1 chip to play without any slowdown and looks amazing.  Kirby's Dreamland 3 uses strange sub-pixel and pseudo-high res to great effect.  But, frankly where we are today, Kirby games don't need to push graphical boundaries to look good, and this game does look good.