Tendo City
LGBTQA+ - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: LGBTQA+ (/showthread.php?tid=7331)

LGBTQA+ - Dark Jaguar - 22nd August 2021

Apparently this is how long the community name is.  I understand and respect what each of those letters stand for, but frankly it's so long it's comical at this point.  Can we all agree to find a way to shorten this just for the sake of regular conversation?

RE: LGBTQA+ - Weltall - 22nd August 2021

I'm fine going four letters in, it's nice, easy to vocalize, everyone knows what you mean, and I frankly do not believe there are many people out there who will have a life crisis over someone not explicitly including a letter unique to their experience. Feel free to assume I'd be tolerant of or embrace your alignment, certain obvious exceptions apply.

RE: LGBTQA+ - Devil's Advocate - 23rd August 2021

You could always just say "liberals" or "progressives" with air quotes. And remember to drawl out each syllable as you say it.Thumbsmile

[Image: tumblr_lkg68oEVGf1qgma7so1_500.gifv]
It takes practice but it may also be beneficial to practice using a "Karen" face in front of a mirror or a "friend".

RE: LGBTQA+ - Dark Jaguar - 24th August 2021

(22nd August 2021, 1:51 PM)Weltall Wrote: I'm fine going four letters in, it's nice, easy to vocalize, everyone knows what you mean, and I frankly do not believe there are many people out there who will have a life crisis over someone not explicitly including a letter unique to their experience. Feel free to assume I'd be tolerant of or embrace your alignment, certain obvious exceptions apply.

That'll work.  If I'm talking to or about someone specific who I know falls into one of those letters, I'll just say that part of it out loud.  That said, I'm usually fine just saying "the gay and trans community" and people generally know what I'm talking about.  I admit I don't fully understand what the "Q" means that isn't covered by the other categories, but then again when I slot into the "A" pretty firmly, that's to be expected.

RE: LGBTQA+ - Weltall - 24th August 2021

I'm B, always was and will be, though it wasn't something I was willing to admit or accept about myself until well into adulthood. 

That said, I don't really feel like a part of any community because of this, nor do I feel fellowship with others who share this particular trait. It doesn't really feel that important to me.

RE: LGBTQA+ - Dark Jaguar - 26th August 2021

(24th August 2021, 6:06 PM)Weltall Wrote: I'm B, always was and will be, though it wasn't something I was willing to admit or accept about myself until well into adulthood. 

That said, I don't really feel like a part of any community because of this, nor do I feel fellowship with others who share this particular trait. It doesn't really feel that important to me.
I get that.  Heck I don't really feel like part of a community either, except when it's under attack.  That's the thing about traits like this.  They shouldn't be all that important.  The only reason there even is a gay community or a black community or solidarity among women is because that group was defined by society at large, as "the other" and "lesser".  Forming communities is a necessary self defense mechanism.

Also, Tucker Carlson is utterly confused at your existence.  He couldn't understand why a "bi" woman was married to a man.  It confused him utterly.

RE: LGBTQA+ - Devil's Advocate - 27th August 2021

(26th August 2021, 3:29 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(24th August 2021, 6:06 PM)Weltall Wrote: I'm B, always was and will be, though it wasn't something I was willing to admit or accept about myself until well into adulthood. 

I get that.  Heck I don't really feel like part of a community either, except when it's under attack.  That's the thing about traits like this.  They shouldn't be all that important.  The only reason there even is a gay community or a black community or solidarity among women is because that group was defined by society at large, as "the other" and "lesser".  Forming communities is a necessary self defense mechanism.

Also, Tucker Carlson is utterly confused at your existence.  He couldn't understand why a "bi" woman was married to a man.  It confused him utterly.

It seems like you guys already have a community. I guess it doesn't matter why or how people get together as much, as just forming those friendships and support for one another.

RE: LGBTQA+ - Dark Jaguar - 28th August 2021

(27th August 2021, 4:02 AM)Devil's Advocate Wrote:
(26th August 2021, 3:29 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

It seems like you guys already have a community. I guess it doesn't matter why or how people get together as much, as just forming those friendships and support for one another.

You're welcome to stick around!  The more the merrier these days.  As much as I've grown weary of social media in general, forums where everyone knows everyone else have become more and more where I spend my time.

RE: LGBTQA+ - Sacred Jellybean - 4th September 2021

(23rd August 2021, 2:51 PM)Devil's Advocate Wrote: You could always just say "liberals" or "progressives" with air quotes. And remember to drawl out each syllable as you say it.Thumbsmile

[Image: tumblr_lkg68oEVGf1qgma7so1_500.gifv]
It takes practice but it may also be beneficial to practice using a "Karen" face in front of a mirror or a "friend".

Fuck yeah, more Jay and Silent Bob gifs imo

[Image: pMeTjEG.gif]

wrt the queer acronyms, QUILTBAG apparently covers everything. Well, no, QUILTBAG2S. The 2S being 2 Sprit. Which is apparently some Native American thing.

...okay, look. I know I'm just some clueless white guy. But do we really need to feel guilty about not being inclusive enough if we don't account for like 0.0004% of the population?

What's even more confusing is splitting out Black and Native people by using the term BIPOC. Black, Indigenous, People of Color. Why do those two minorities need to be singled out and emphasized as being more oppressed than the others? It's just weird. I thought the idea was inclusion, not placing people in tiers of who is more oppressed than whom?

We should absolutely fight oppression, but quibbling about what the Proper and Correct words of incantantation to use seems like so much pointless slap fighting.