Tendo City
Greetings... Where Am I?? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Greetings... Where Am I?? (/showthread.php?tid=7328)

Greetings... Where Am I?? - Devil's Advocate - 24th July 2021

Greetings.

This is weird and I'm not sure of the timeline but I have no memories of Tendo City or Ramble City. Please bare with me, because I might be going senile but I remember a Blast City and Random City which seems to be an alternate Sega variant. Huh According to my fuzzy memory it started for me when I was checking out virtuafighter.com and discovering the Blast City forums owned by Ice-9. That grew to be a wonderful place of general gaming forums. I was mostly a lurker, until Ice-9 decided to shut down those forums. Luckily for most of the users there was another set of forums setup by another member of the forums. I want to say that the guy who set up the new forums name was Jared(?) but my memories fail me. And that's where we gathered just talking about random things, honestly it was a awesome time and some of the best online gaming community experiences I've had were during those years. I've never really found another online community like it.

User names I think I can recall...

Jared(maybe?) who owned the forums
Anais Nin/Abstractica/Anafaery who was the main moderator
Imashroom
DCwhizz (was he a troll or not? I guess we'll never know)
Mustafa
AnimeJoe
Cyrus
Armory
Welltall
Qoxvii (spelling?)
Demona
Kitten or kitty something
Dirty Sanchez

I did continue to play games with some these players during and after the forums went down I'm sure. I played with Abstractica, Armory and Cyrus on the Dreamcast Quake III and PSO and they even helped me start in WoW afterwards. But social media wasn't really a thing and I was pretty gaurded as far as getting too close to anyone, which is my own fault. Regrettably I lost contact with them as one by one people moved on from the games we were playing for various reasons.

Do these names ring a bell? Am I in the right place? or did I stumble into a parallel universe? However, if these names jog any memories I would love to have updates of where the "children of the city" ended up. I know some left for Console City which seems defunct now as well.

How embararssing would it be if I just stumbled into coincidence and everyone here has no clue of what I'm talking about. Btw, this is the thread that brought me here. It's the only "hit" I've ever found that had names I recognized. https://www.tendocity.net/showthread.php?tid=3522&pid=96693

It seems weird to say considering I only really knew people by their online usernames with only a few exceptions, but I hope everyone is doing well during these crazy times.

Devil's Advocate. Redface

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Weltall - 24th July 2021

Wow, someone emerges from the dark and murky mists of forever ago and with memories! I definitely remember the username, if nothing else. 

So, it has been twenty whole (holy shit) years since nurb.com went away, I'll try my best to do some recall and it may fill in some blanks. Honestly, you mentioned names that jog my memory (and a few who don't, I didn't frequent the Sony or Sega boards that much). 

When it all went down, I made an ezboard to serve as a temporary platform for the nurb sites. I seem to remember there being some ambiguity, which may have just been wishful thinking, that Ice9 would either change his mind about closing down, or would transfer the boards over to someone else. The ezboard hosted for all three console communities, but the Sony board (Shock City?) wasn't ever that popular to begin with, and Blast City (which was definitely the biggest of the three) ended up with its own successor forum called Kaleidoscope2, it was Jared who created and administered it and Abstractica was the main moderator/primary personality. I don't remember exactly what happened over there, but some profound manner of drama ended up taking place and there was some serious infighting, and K2 came to a close. This was 2002 or so, maybe as late as early 2003. 

I replaced the ezboard with tendocity.net and was the owner/admin until 2007, when I turned it over to etoven, who has been the god guardian and remains so to this day. We changed urls to tcforums.com for a good many years, then toven was able to reacquire tendocity.net. We had an companion news and information website for about five years. A lot of the original members have moved many ago, but we still have a hard core of regulars who have been keeping everything going with no break in continuity, and a few times each year, old members from yesteryear find their way back to say hi. It feels good to be able to say that, even though it is smaller than in its heyday and never that large to begin with, Tendo City is still one of the oldest internet communities still in existence, one of the few 20th century websites still around, and there's no reason to believe its going anywhere, anytime soon. 

So, welcome back, enjoy your stay!

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Devil's Advocate - 24th July 2021

Wow, I totally forgot Ezboard was even a thing. And I think I blocked out Kaleidoscope2. Well not entirely I just sort of rolled those Random City memories into Kaleidoscope2. Now that you bring it up I also remember how it ended but I don't think that matters anymore with this much time behind it. I think mostly I just wanted to check up on people exspecially after 2020.

The release of PSO2 and reskin of Virtuafighter5 really got me thinking of those times. I was even thinking about trying PSO2 or even WoW classic, but it just wouldn't be the same without the friends I once had. It's kind of a bummer that it only exists in memories now.

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - etoven - 27th July 2021

(24th July 2021, 12:47 PM)Devil's Advocate Wrote: Wow, I totally forgot Ezboard was even a thing. And I think I blocked out Kaleidoscope2. Well not entirely I just sort of rolled those Random City memories into Kaleidoscope2. Now that you bring it up I also remember how it ended but I don't think that matters anymore with this much time behind it. I think mostly I just wanted to check up on people exspecially after 2020.

The release of PSO2 and reskin of Virtuafighter5 really got me thinking of those times. I was even thinking about trying PSO2 or even WoW classic, but it just wouldn't be the same without the friends I once had. It's kind of a bummer that it only exists in memories now.

A non bot new signup.. Hmmm

I don't believe it.
You make a conviencing human... What is your goal machine?
Leave us be.. The CIA has all my evil robots.

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Dark Jaguar - 28th July 2021

Etoven don't worry I'll handle this with the one insidious and subtle question that has tripped up every single chat bot I've ever encounter.

Ahem!

"What were we just talking about?"

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Weltall - 29th July 2021

How many bots are going to know all this deep nurb.com lore?

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - A Black Falcon - 29th July 2021

I remember going to the Sega site and reading it once in a while, but I never made an account at either Blast City or Kaleidoscope2.  I mostly read and only posted on Tendo City.  So yeah, I don't remember most of those names on that list there, apart from Weltall of course and vaguely a few others. I do remember that SOMETHING bad blew up Kaleidoscope2 but don't remember what... oh well.

But yeah, we love that this site is still here and will keep it up.

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - etoven - 1st August 2021

(28th July 2021, 4:44 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Etoven don't worry I'll handle this with the one insidious and subtle question that has tripped up every single chat bot I've ever encounter.

Ahem!

Good god.. Now you've done it.

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Dark Jaguar - 3rd August 2021

(1st August 2021, 9:25 AM)etoven Wrote:
(28th July 2021, 4:44 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Etoven don't worry I'll handle this with the one insidious and subtle question that has tripped up every single chat bot I've ever encounter.

Ahem!

Good god.. Now you've done it.

I'm just saying the day a chat bot can answer that question properly is the day one will impress me.  Not a single one seems to take into account anything that was said before when responding to input, as though it's somehow possible to simply create a list of one to one "perfect" answers for every single possible input.

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Devil's Advocate - 5th August 2021

Quote: 'Dark Jaguar' pid='138620' dateline='1627519450'     "What were we just talking about?"

No clue. Whch is pretty much where I'm at now. Internet sleuthing is hard when relying on shoddy memories.

It feels a bit weird to be using this username again.

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Sacred Jellybean - 8th August 2021

I know Abstractica. Her and I are facebook friends and talk regularly. She's thinking of writing a novel.

That's all I got! I don't remember your username, sorry. Huh

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Devil's Advocate - 14th August 2021

<quote option="&quot;Sacred Jellybean&quot; pid='138633' dateline='1628442509'"><br />
I know Abstractica. Her and I are facebook friends and talk regularly. She's thinking of writing a novel.<br />
<br />
That's all I got! I don't remember your username, sorry. Huh</quote><br />
No problem, I wasn't really much of a presence on the boards.<br />
<br />
But that's actually alot. You think you could pass along that Devil's Advocate said, "Hi"? I'm not exactly on social media, and admittedly I just have it because of family. But if you can also pass along my facebook profile as well I'd be grateful. I guess I won't post my profile link publicly unless she wants to be Facebook "friends".<br />
<br />
All this talk about Bots now has me paranoid.<br />
<br />

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Sacred Jellybean - 17th August 2021

DA, she'd love to reconnect. Post your profile (or feel free to PM it to me) and I'll be happy to pass it along to her. Ubbsmile

RE: Greetings... Where Am I?? - Devil's Advocate - 20th August 2021

(17th August 2021, 4:51 AM)Sacred Jellybean Wrote: DA, she'd love to reconnect. Post your profile (or feel free to PM it to me) and I'll be happy to pass it along to her. Ubbsmile

I sent you a PM. Thanks for your help again. Smile