Tendo City
E3 2021 is over, and the big news: WarioWare and Advance Wars are back! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: E3 2021 is over, and the big news: WarioWare and Advance Wars are back! (/showthread.php?tid=7326)

E3 2021 is over, and the big news: WarioWare and Advance Wars are back! - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2021

Yes, really.  The Wario War game is new, and looks pretty good.  As for Advance Wars, it's a remake collection of the first two games, with polygonal graphics now.  As a big fan of the Advance Wars games I'mn really looking forward to this!  Indeed, Advance Wars 1&2: Re-Boot Camp, as it is called, is probably now my most anticipated game of 2021.  It looks great, once you get used to the visual style.

Additionally, Nintendo and Ubisoft announced that Mario & Rabbids is getting a sequel, which is pretty awesome!  It will be a strategy game again, except this time you will have free movement within a movement range, instead of the tile-based movement of the first game.  It looks great and I'm definitely looking forward to it.  It is a 2022 title though.

Nintendo showed off a lot of other stuff too, including of course Metroid Dread, another 2021 game, and a new trailer for the next Zelda game, which is now a 2022 title.  As I expected it looks like Zelda is missing and you will need to play as only Link and rescue her, so yeah, that annoys me greatly as you should expect.  As for the gameplay, well, Breath of the Wild is, in my opinion, the least good Zelda game ever made so I am not excited for the sequel gameplay-wise either.  I would far rather play the CD-i games.   I guess the big news though is that it has a flying component and a lot of stuff in the sky.  There are clear connections from waht they sowed of "BotW 2" (the final title has not been announced yet) to SKyward Sword...

I am still interested in that Skyward Sword Switch port though, which releases this year.  That's looking nice, though I still want to hear more about changes.  I know one kind of warping is locked to an Amiibo, which is pretty obnoxious.

Additionally, NIntendo... announced a home port of Cruis'n Blast!  This is pretty great news, this is the first home port of a Raw Thrills racing game since Cruis'n for the Wii over a decade ago.  Their racers are simple but fun stuff in arcades, but I very rarely play games in actual arcades so I'm really looking forward to finally being able to play one of their games again.  Yes, this game is yet again a simple poit-to-point racer along a railed track, but it'll have a lot of tracks, almost 30 total apparently including not just the oens from the Cruis'n Blast arcade game but also a bunch from another arcade game of theirs, Superbikes 3, so there should be a nice amount of content here.  If someday we can get a home port of H2 Overdrive that would be even more amazing, but I'll take this, it's great to see.  Actual arcade style racing games are in very short supply now and are needed.

It was a very good show for Nintendo overall, even if they did not show their very heavily rumored Switch Pro system... or New Nintendo Switch, or whatever they're going to call it.  I'm sure the remodel will come eventually, and probably would have been announced by now if not for COVID.  But COVID delays sadly are a very real thing, so we'll justh ae to live with the base Switch for a while longer... and for what I use the Switch for that's just fine.  I mean, Mario Maker 2 does not have any issues running on a base Switch. The same goes for games such as Pac-Man 99 and 2d indie games,  I don't really play the kinds of games that push the Switch hard all that often, so I'm not sure if I would get the Switch Pro right away or not.  That would depend on the details, I think.  And when it releases, of course (next year?).

As for the show outside of Nintendo, well, COVID delays are everywhere.  Ubisoft annouced the new Mario & Rabbids title and a new Rainbow Six Siege game with your team fighting aliens, but otherwise mostly showed off new content for their old or previous announced titles.  There's no Assassin's Creed this year, for examplele, only DLC for the last one.  It was a decent Ubisoft show but the stuff I'd be the most interested in mostly didn't show.  I wonder if Wild or Beyond Good and Evil 2 ever actually release... or if they'll ever make another Rayman game.  Here's hoping.

Square-Enix has a conference, but they spent more than half of their time showind off their pretty boring looking Guardians of the Galaxy game... a pretty mediocre looking third person shooter where you have to only play as the most boring character on that team.  Yes, you're the generic white guy on a team of otherwise interesting characters.  Of course.  I mean, I probably wouldn't play the game regardless, I don't care much about Marvel, but still.  Otherwise Square had very little to show.  They showed some oports of old games, a bunch of mobile junk, and such.  Oh, and they closed with... Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins, which is an action game remake of Final Fantasy 1 being made by Tecmo's Team Ninja.  It's already quite an internet meme for its ridiculously obsessed main character, who only seems to care about killing Chaos. Apparently the game started out with Nomura thinking o a game called "the story of an angry man" and it shows.  This looks pretty bad by the standards of the kinds of games I care about, I rarely enjoy games that play like this.  All three characters they showed in the party are male so is this yet another Nomura-written game with a mostly or all male party?

Along with Nintendo the other main show was Microsoft's, since Sony once again decided to skip E3. Microsoft had a good show with a lot of games of interest.  Halo is their main game for this year, and I'm no Halo fan, but still they showed the mulitplayer and it looks like well-done Halo multiplayer so that's nice.  They also have Psychonauts 2 which should be great, and announced Forza Horizon 5 for this year.  I'm not a big Horizon fan because they still have the sim-styled controls of the main Forza game and I prefer a much more arcadey racing game, but still the Horizon games are pretty good so I am interested.  MS also announced several 2022 games with CGI trailers, including one from Arkane, a co-op "team of four people vs. vampires" game.  They had more stuff too, but I'm forgetting it offhand.

Otherwise... well, this E3 was weird.  Because of COVID there was no in-person show, so it was pretty much just a "watch trailers and that's it" show, even for the press.  So, the weeks of previews of games that journalists played aren't happening this time.  There are some demos available digitally, but it's not the same at all.  Even for those of us who can';t go to the show, the difference here was really apparent; I do hope the in-person show returns, watching these videos and trailers is nice and is better than what last year had, but I miss the actual gameplay impressions you get from an in-person show. 

Also, just before E3 there was an unrelated event, a video stream hosted by Geoff Keighley of The Game Awards and such.    I've never been much of a fan of his content but I did watch most of that event.  I say most because I skipped part of the middle, it got kind of boring.  The big news was the full unveiling of Elden Ring, the new FromSoft game with very Dark Souls-styled gameplay.  I'm no Souls fan -- I do NOT have the patience to learn how to not die constantly, find some of the mechanics probably too hard to consistently pull off (such as the parry in Sekiro),  and absolutely HATE the absence of an in-game map in those games!  So, I am not excited for it but for fans of those games it's nice that it was shown.

RE: E3 2021 is over, and the big news: WarioWare and Advance Wars are back! - Dark Jaguar - 21st June 2021

I kinda wish E3 would die at this point.  I can't believe I was ever that green, I mean that I ever wanted to actually attend that monument to consumerism.