Tendo City
Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it (/showthread.php?tid=7317)

Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it - A Black Falcon - 31st March 2021

It will stop being sold after today!  It's not only Mario being killed on the 31st...

RE: Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it - Dark Jaguar - 31st March 2021

Done and done.  And ripped and stuffed on an Everdrive so now I can play an official translation on original hardware.

RE: Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it - Sacred Jellybean - 31st March 2021

Aw shit, it's the 31st already. Glad I already bought Mario 3D All Stars. Maybe I'll grab fire emblem but I feel like I'd just be getting it for the sake of it. I'm not a big strategy game guy (though admittedly, the bit I played of Shining Force on Genesis is pretty fun). It's probably cheap, right? Maybe I'll flip a coin. But I also don't want to play into nintendo's fomo hand, so I'll probably steer clear of it.

RE: Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it - Dark Jaguar - 31st March 2021

Frankly you're probably making the ethically right decision here.  I honestly hated when I found out that Fire Emblem was part of Nintendo's anti-customer FOMO nonsense.  Well done!

RE: Get Fire Emblem 1 NES for Switch NOW if you want it - A Black Falcon - 31st March 2021

Yes, Fire Emblem is/was $6. Cheap.

Thinking about all of the games NIntendo is taking down today and tomorrow, Fire Emblem is the one that makes the least sense.  Taking Fire Emblem down is incredibly stupid and obnoxious!  It's not the worst of these takedowns because at least the people who bought it will be able to continue to play it, but why is it being taken down at all?  I can't thnk of an actual reason to take the game down -- unlike Mario 3D Allstars it's not something that's going to sell huge numbers, I would think, so I doubt fear of missing out would help THAT much sales-wise, and wouldn't lost sales in the future hurt more than the short term fear helps.  It's just super annoying. Mario 3D Allstars has a better case for being a time-limited release because it's a popular product lots of people want to own.  FOMO absolutely worked push sales of the collection I am sure.

However, as much as I did not particularly like the game (due to how exceptionally repetitive it is), probably the worst thing Nintendo is doing here is taking down Super Mario 35 already.  I mean, Mario Maker 1?  I'm pretty unhappy about level uploading being disabled.  But at least you can still play the stuff that's there, and MM2 builds on it content-wise.  Fire Emblem? There are other ways to play the game, on a Famicom (in Japanese though), in emulation, through the not very good Nintendo DS remake.  The 3D Allstars collection is a physical release that sold millions, it is by no means rare and won't be in the future either.  But Super Mario 35 is a digital-only game that was only available for under a year before being taken down!  Sure it's not the best game ever, but it's an interesting attempt at a multiplayer versus Mario game and taking it down is just crazy mean to Nintendo fans.

... That said yes I haven't been playing Super Mario 35 much at all, but even so, it's wrong.