Tendo City
You can throw Gibdos?! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: You can throw Gibdos?! (/showthread.php?tid=7311)

You can throw Gibdos?! - Dark Jaguar - 16th February 2021

ABF!  ABF I had no idea!  When you stun the gibdos in Link's Awakening you can pick them up and toss them around!  ABF!  If you toss two in a pit on the bottom floor of Eagle's Tower it kills the spark thingy in the room.  It KILLS it!  You can't kill those!  But it kills it!  I didn't know, but now I do!  Link's Awakening is, well, it's a good game is what.

RE: You can throw Gibdos?! - Dark Jaguar - 17th February 2021

Gibdo tossing aside, Skyward Sword is getting an enhanced version on Switch which will allow one to pick whether or not to use the motion controls (which were actually fairly well done for what they were compared to how Twilight Princess handled it).  I think it'll end up being the definitive version, but they could do so much more.  Here's changes I'd love to see:

1. Unify Skyloft with the rest of the sky so that travelling to and from it is seamless.
2. Silence Fi and replace all her dialog with expressions and nods.  I'm serious.  Her dialog is just so booooring and actually hurts her character.  The farewell felt hollow especially when Zelda and Impa had a much more effective farewell within moments of that one.  Fi could be a much more effective character without dialog, leaving what she's thinking more mysterious.  Better yet, it'll keep her from solving every single puzzle in the game before you even get a chance to solve it yourself.
3. Unlock all three regions back on ground level right from the start to allow more freedom for the player.  Of course, dungeon will still need to be done in a particular order, but at least people will see the world as bigger rather than this direct path.
4. Remove Stamina for running.
5. Let us save anywhere like in older Zelda games.  Heck implementing save points didn't even actually solve the problem it was meant to, preventing people from unwinnable save files.  They ended up having to release a program to "fix" save files because the Wii had no method of patching games at the time (though they could have easily coded one into the OS).  On the one hand save points are pentiful- but on the other that's all the more reason to eliminate them entirely.  Reduce save points to teleporters that let you go from earth to sky.
6. This is a very specific one, but give us a third option with that bizarre dating thing going on with the item store lady.  Our options are either break her heart in the most devastating way possible or lie about her being Link's true love.  It'd be nice to have a third method of engaging that quest where we instead give her a little self confidence so she's not so obsessed with falling in love with the first guy that looks at her funny.

RE: You can throw Gibdos?! - Sacred Jellybean - 26th February 2021

Didn't they need to release a special wiimote for that game (with accelerators, I think?), so the game could tell which direction you were slashing (diagonal, horizontal, etc)? Can the joy-cons do that as they are? I honestly had trouble with that. Kind of frustrating, particularly when some enemies had an electric sword that paralyzes you if you slash the wrong way.

#2, yes! She was the worst part of the game. I didn't like having her stop me in my tracks, just after watching a long cutscene and wanting to get back into it. Particularly when whatever she tells me is entirely redundant, because was either outright explicitly told to me in said cut-scene, or heavily hinted at.

I'll add one of my own to the list. Take out those pointless and annoying mini-levels where you have to collect X items within the allotted time. I think there were 3 where you needed to collect tears, and a few others. They were needlessly tedious, and didn't add anything to the game other than a 10-20 minute headache. Per-level.

Honestly, there's an awesome game in there, but it was too bogged down by flaws for me to get into. I think there were kinks in the gameplay mechanics that they had to iron out before creating a good experience. Great concept, though.

RE: You can throw Gibdos?! - A Black Falcon - 2nd March 2021

On the one hand, Skyward Sword is a fantastic game and one of my favorite games on the Wii.

On the other hand, Skyward Sword is just too much.  it is a game I dropped midway through because as fun as it is, there were other games I could play and I got tired of its gameplay loop.  That's my main complaint about the game, and it's not something they can fix, though they could do some things to make it a lot better.

That is, my main problem is how the overworld feels like a dungeon.   The whole land surface is very puzzle-intensive, with most of the challenge and exploration time of a Zelda dungeon, not an overworld.  And then you get to the dungeon, and I often felt like 'I just finished a dungeon, and now I'm put right into another one?'  And all the while, you can't go anywhere else.  If you return to the sky, when you go back to the surface you return to one of only THREE start points.  You cannot return to the statue you warped to the sky from, and getting back to where you were may take a long time.  So, in this game you alternate between long sessions in the town and long sessions on the surface.  You can't just go back and forth easily like you would in almost any other game in the series, and it feels too limiting.  I mean, I'm fine with linearity, I just wanted a bit more variety; break it up more, less long blocks of time doing the same things.  The town is great, but why are the segments in town so long?  Why can't I do some exploration, then some town, and such?  It always used to be like that in Zelda games.  But here, no.

So yeah, what would I change?  The main thing is to allow warping down to any statue that you can warp up from.  That would help a LOT with what is the most annoying thing about Skyward Sword.

As for DJ's list... the first thing would be nice, sure.  It's a small thing but that'd be neat.    For the second, Fi never bothered me at all, so I don't agree there.  Point three, on letting you go to more areas at the start, sure, why not.  I don't think that fixes the main problem, letting you warp down to any warp-up (save) point would be much more useful, but it's something. Point four, stamina, yeah we all know they aren't doing that.  Breath of the Wild's focus on its stamina meter proves that one.  I don't love it either, but it's staying.    Five, save anywhere... yes, I am always a strong supporter of save anywhere, do that for sure!  And six, I don't think I saw that or at least I don't remember it.
Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Didn't they need to release a special wiimote for that game (with accelerators, I think?), so the game could tell which direction you were slashing (diagonal, horizontal, etc)? Can the joy-cons do that as they are? I honestly had trouble with that. Kind of frustrating, particularly when some enemies had an electric sword that paralyzes you if you slash the wrong way.

Skyward Sword requires a Motion+ Wiimote or a Motion+ addon for your regular Wiimote, yes.  Plenty of later Wii games require Motion+.  What that is is a better tilt motion sensor than the one in a base Wiimote.  The good news is, since Skyward Sword uses tilt motion more so than it does pointer motion, it should work reasonably well on Joycons. Joycons can only do tilt motion, after all, and not pointer.  I'm sure Joycons do tilt motion just a well as or better than Motion+.

Nintendo has said that while this version will add button controls, it won't just have an attack button.  Instead the right stick will control your sword, which makes sense given how important swing direction is in the game.

RE: You can throw Gibdos?! - Dark Jaguar - 6th March 2021

Alright then, 7 is make those time trial runs where you cant' attack anything optional.  They were interseting challenges, but perhaps there are other ways to do it.  Perhaps allowing Link to select from a list of possible challenges would be good.

8 is adding ABF's idea, which can coexist with my suggestion about making more things accessible.  The stamina thing they could easily change in this game without hurting anything.  Breath of the Wild would be impacted in a much greater way, but being a more traditional Zelda game stamina doesn't add anything to the experience or provide any limits that make anything more interestsing or challenging.  It's misplaced.

The overworld functioning essentially like an extra dungeon is an intersting point.  You're right, and that's partly because there isn't really an overworld, that is, certainly locations aren't all interconnected like in other Zelda games.  They're a bunch of isolated little biomes that are linked only through "the sky", which functions as the real overworld.  Wow did I hate learning how to fly in this game by the way.  They toss you into it and the instructions as verbose as they are actually aren't phrased very well at all.  It took numerous tries to actually figure out what the heck they were talking about.