Tendo City
Radio jockey resignation... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Radio jockey resignation... (/showthread.php?tid=7269)

Radio jockey resignation... - Darunia - 3rd June 2020

I seriously would like to know why it is so offensive to say "all lives matter," and why the Sacramento radio guy had to resign... can someone explain or justify this to me? I must be missing something...

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd June 2020

All Lives Matter is problematic for several reasons, and some might say, outright racist. But I think cancel culture has gone too far. Certainly, there are some lines you can't pass when you speak in public, i.e. hate speech. Some would go so far as to argue that All Lives Matter is hate speech, but I think it's more constructive to take the question head on, rather than outright dismiss it and stifle the free speech* of the person saying it.

A lot of people believe that All Lives Matter is legit, and a lot are probably confused by what the intent behind Black Lives Matter is. I understand the mentality: "If you think any lives are worth more than others, that's obviously racist, so how could All Lives Matter be racist?" It's kind of like saying "I'm color blind", while turning a blind eye to the actual racist injustices that pervade our sociopolitical systems. That's privileged and insensitive, but racist? meh.

Nonetheless, we have to fight bad ideas with good ideas. And this isn't something like "lynch all the darkies", where a fist to the face seems more appropriate.

* Yeah, I know, this only technically applies to government censorship, but I feel like the phrase can be loosened up a bit. I don't think the guy should lose his livelihood for saying one verboten thing. It's going too far, and people are just going to dig their heels in further. Open up, start a dialogue, convince them.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Darunia - 3rd June 2020

I believe we are witnessing the terminal end of the Republic. Not being hyperbolic either.

America was a great experiment and we got a few good centuries out of it. Countries and societies work best when they are cohesive and singular, not divided into thousands of competing racial/special interest groups. Where does this logically project in 10, 20, 30 years? It's not going to coalesce into harmony. It's only going to get worse.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - A Black Falcon - 14th June 2020

The problem is that a vast majority of people saying "All Lives Matter" are lying. They do not, in fact, believe that all lives matter; instead, they believe that, as is currently still the case, white lives should continue to matter more than black or brown lives do.

And THAT is the problem. In theory, "All Lives Matter" is obviously true and the best summation of what is needed! Indeed, all lives matter. No life should be more important than any other because of their skin color, sexuality, gender, etc.

However, we do not live in a society where all lives matter. We live in a society where white lives matter more than other lives do, and where many whites treat minorities as disposable -- see the police killing black people with minimal cause in situations where they would nave never even dreamed of shooting a white person to death.

So, how do we make all lives matter? By making society change and make white people consider black and brown lives as being a s important as other white livse are, that's how. We need black lives to matter. And the lying racists saying "all lives matter" do not believe the words they are saying, they just want the current unfairness to continue. That is not how you make all lives matter, to say the least! I am white, so I have never had to worry about the police shooting me to death after stopping me for whatever reason. That is not something minorities can say, tragically. We need a society where black lives (also) matter, not only white ones.

If the people saying "all lives matter" actually believed those words there would be no issue with the term. But instead they use it as doublespeak, saying one thing to mean another.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Sacred Jellybean - 15th June 2020

That's awful presumptuous, ABF. Maybe I give people too much credit, but I feel like most people who say that sincerely don't get it, or at the worst, are brainwashed by the right wing noise machine into believing black people are looking for special treatment or whatever. I don't know what context this DJ (hah) said it in, or if he has a history of racial remarks, but maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people just need to be educated. A lot of white people just say "well MY life was no bed of roses and I'M not complaining! They need to stop playing the race card! BOOTSTRAPS!" We need to at least try to take the time to show them stats that demonstrate that the justice system is stacked against poc, and cops profile and harass them more than whites.

Certainly, there is a non-trivial amount of alt-right people and racists who are saying it insincerely, though.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2020

Do you know who is still saying "All Lives Matter" now?

Mike Pence. It's people like Trump, Pence, and their cult still sticking to that. And by this point, pretty much everybody knows what they mean by it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mike-pence-says-all-lives-matter-when-asked-repeatedly-to-say-black-lives-matter/ar-BB15JyPz

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Sacred Jellybean - 20th June 2020

No surprise to me that this administration is pandering to white supremacists. They've been doing it for years. But white supremacists aren't the only ones who say the slogan. I'm still weary about writing off anyone who uses it as a racist. The internet and social media have sucked up all the nuance out of conversation. It's like people say catch phrases and put each other into boxes without a second thought. Outright attacking people for expressing opinions, and cancel culture, have done way more harm than good.

I'll re-iterate, not every opinion needs to be indulged, punch Nazis 4 eva, chain KKK folks to burning crosses, etc. But this disc jockey getting canned is counter-productive. You don't change minds by making people too scared to say their opinion out loud, you just build resentment at best, and radicalize them at worst.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - etoven - 23rd June 2020

I think it's offensive to say all lives matter, because they haven't nailed the first part yet. Baby steps.
It downplains the issue, and panders to racests and zenofobes.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Darunia - 29th June 2020

All Americans are equal. I proclaim this to you all. It need not be approved of by anybody, as it is self-manifest. I am not asking your permission if it be true or not, and I care not if you get a hair across your buttox over it.

Nobody should be abused/killed by the police (or anybody else for that matter,) regardless of their skin color. These are problems that do need to be addressed. But is the answer really purging the country of all white men and reminders of a time when white people were the large majority because it offends non-white people... is retarded, for lack of a better word. Does that word offend you buttercups? My lexicon does not end where your sensitivities begin. 

The WWII generation, the "greatest generation," all evil racists! All American presidents prior to Obama, evil racists! Who knew? What a great whodunnit our country's history is/has been!

You have the right to be free but not to be free of offense. Tearing up the established fabric of American culture is offensive to many Americans who are not as liberal as you. My father is deeply offended that one of his childhood heroes, John Wayne, is now essentially blacklisted from beyond the grave. I am equally outraged that the Roosevelt statue is being assailed in New York. It seems merely being imperfect is a crime in 2020!

How long before we dynamite Mount Rushmore and replace it with Tubman, George Floyd, MLK, etc.? After all, Washington owned slaves, Abraham could have done a lot more for the plight of the slaves and did not, Teddy could have done more, Jefferson... through the lense of 2020, nothing is sacred or safe! PURGE THEM! PURGE THEM!

All lives matter. I care not if that offends you for it is a scientific truism, and need not be rubber stamped by anybody. George Floyd's life matters, and so do my sons'. I hate Trump as much as most of you do! I DONATED TO JOE BIDEN'S CAMPAIGN ALREADY AND AM GOING TO VOTE FOR HIM IN NOVEMBER! I am not a Republican! I am a MODERATE VOTER, whose vote Biden has won over. I am not a racist and none of you better opine otherwise. I am a proud American who hates seeing his country getting shit on 24/7 by some folks. 

I welcome your fury, o Tendite friends! I dare speak up for what I feel! Stone me if you will! Burn me if you must! I just ask that you not play Saria's Song near me. I hate that shit.

Yours,

Darvnia

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - etoven - 30th June 2020

Quote:I just ask that you not play Saria's Song near me. I hate that shit.
LOL

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Sacred Jellybean - 30th June 2020

I'm totally cool with tearing down and defacing statues of Confederate traitors that were so villainous that they'd march and slaughter fellow Americans to preserve their "right" to enslave other fellow Americans; to torture, rape, murder, breed, sell, tear apart families, and work them into the grave, like cattle, to enrich themselves. Fuck all of them.

I think removing the Roosavelt statue may be overkill, but to be fair, the context is a little different. The issue isn't with Teddy himself, it's that on the same statue, there are a native American and black man walking beneath Teddy, which some take to imply white supremacy. I'm looking at the statue and don't see it, but the larger point about Confederate subhuman traitors still stands. We don't need statues to celebrate these savage sons of bitches. Let people read about them in history books.

What a stain on American history, and a great national humiliation that a substantial population of us still wave that flag, proudly and ignorantly, overlooking the monstrous institution it represents. Yeah, sure, it's all about tyranny and freedom... unless you're a black man... in which case, get back in the cotton fields.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - A Black Falcon - 30th June 2020

Right, it's not about any statue of Teddy Roosevelt; I am not in favor of removing all statues of potentially controversial people (George Washington, etc.), but in this case it's much less about Roosevelt than it is the other two figures, it's incredibly racially charged in very negative ways. Taking that down makes a lot of sense because of the other figures. Maybe put something else of him up instead that isn't so insanely stereotyped...

And Darunia, once again, "All lives matter" is a term primarily used by racists. Certainly having everyone matter equally is the goal, but don't say that phrase if you are indeed not racist, it has a meaning beyond the literal words of the phrase.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Sacred Jellybean - 1st July 2020

You're not helping, ABF!

Don't listen to him, Dar. We both can agree that all lives are important, regardless of race. No one race is more important than the other. Police brutality is bad for everyone. But, the problem is, that's not how society today treats black people. Police and the justice system at large are far more brutal towards black people. Here are some examples, large and small:
Let's dispense with the dry statistics. Look at what happened in Michigan just a month or so back. White men stormed the capitol building, armed, to protest stay-at-home orders. https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-lansing-coronavirus-protest-capitol-guns-rifles

Just look at these men, armed and screaming into the cops' faces, who simply stand there and calmly abide it.

[Image: wce2ik2.jpg]

Black people, on the other hand, have been murdered by police in the street for using a fake $20 bill, selling cigarettes, and holding a BB gun. Can you IMAGINE the media frenzy and if dozens of armed black men stormed a capitol building and screamed at police/lawmakers?? The national guard would have arrived at the scene and ventilated them in about 10 seconds. As it was, these white men were "peacefully protesting", and not so much as arrested. THIS is how society treats whites and blacks differently.

So, all that being said, do you understand why people specifically use the line Black Lives Matter? It's not that other lives don't matter, it's that we as a society need convincing that black lives matter just as much as whites.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - Weltall - 1st July 2020

"All lives matter" is a phrase which is great in a vacuum, but its meaning is co-opted primarily by people who really don't believe it at all. Much in the same way American patriotism is most commonly attributed to people who hate and fear the majority of Americans. 

I feel that the left buys into this bullshit a little too much. The symbols of America should not be shunned, but reclaimed. Right wing reactionaries did not create this nation or contribute anything good or positive to it, ever. Let them have their stars and bars, because that's the flag which represents the misery and failure emblematic of their existence.

RE: Radio jockey resignation... - etoven - 3rd July 2020

(1st July 2020, 6:59 AM)Weltall Wrote: "All lives matter" is a phrase which is great in a vacuum, but its meaning is co-opted primarily by people who really don't believe it at all. Much in the same way American patriotism is most commonly attributed to people who hate and fear the majority of Americans. 

I feel that the left buys into this bullshit a little too much. The symbols of America should not be shunned, but reclaimed. Right wing reactionaries did not create this nation or contribute anything good or positive to it, ever. Let them have their stars and bars, because that's the flag which represents the misery and failure emblematic of their existence.

Very eliquently put I think.