Tendo City
Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) (/showthread.php?tid=7238)

Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - A Black Falcon - 6th January 2020

RE: Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - etoven - 7th January 2020

(6th January 2020, 9:29 PM)A Black Falcon Wrote: Sorry about the spoiler tags, is there a way to do them on this forum anymore or are they broken?
... I probably should redo this post and organize it better because I know it is quite unfocused, but this will have to do for now.

Been working on the site.. Will tackle the spoiler tags next. When I am not starving..

RE: Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2020

Cool, looks a lot better now!

RE: Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - alien space marine - 10th January 2020

that’s ultimately what the sequel trilogy lacked was a cohesive mapped out plan from the beginning. Disney could have easily adapted Timothy Zahns novels that have been around since the 90’s, sure some changes would have to be made because they were written before  the prequels established what the clonewars actually where. The decision to destroy the new republic right out of the gate renders the events of the original trilogy complete pointless, I don’t understand why they did it? It just made the plot of these new movies nothing but a bad nonsensical repeat of the OT.

RE: Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - A Black Falcon - 12th January 2020

My best thought is that Disney must have seen how Lucas made new things in the prequels and got heavily criticized for it, so they to go in the exact opposite direction with their first trilogy: how about we make what we think the fans the least original thing possible? And it worked at first, a lot of people (not me, but a lot of people) liked TFA despite its unoriginality.

Even so though, you'd think that they would have realized that planning their trilogy before it's made is important. Sure, you can make stuff up as you go along, but you end up with cohesive story if you plan it... which they very obviously didn't bother doing, unfortunately.

The Sequel Trilogy was initially concepted by Lucas, and some of his ideas made it into the final product -- young male and female main characters, the male one becomes a Sith and the female one has to save the day, various bits the movies use, etc... but of course, the books also had a variant on that same idea when right near the end of the old EU Jacen became a sith and Jaina had to, in the end, save the day by killing him, so it's clearly an idea Lucas liked. He would have put things in a new framework instead of a remake of the original trilogy, though, and I'm sure that I at least would have liked them a lot more... but public opinion would surely also be divisive at best, so I can kind of understand why he decided to take the $4 billion and retire; let fan dislike of new Star Wars movies be someone elses' problem this time... but with how badly Disney, JJ, and Rian messed things up it's unfortunate he did. Oh well.

RE: Star Wars 9 (warning: lots of spoilers!) - etoven - 13th January 2020

(12th January 2020, 11:03 AM)A Black Falcon Wrote: My best thought is that Disney must have seen how Lucas made new things in the prequels and got heavily criticized for it, so they to go in the exact opposite direction with their first trilogy: how about we make what we think the fans the least original thing possible? And it worked at first, a lot of people (not me, but a lot of people) liked TFA despite its unoriginality.

Even so though, you'd think that they would have realized that planning their trilogy before it's made is important. Sure, you can make stuff up as you go along, but you end up with cohesive story if you plan it... which they very obviously didn't bother doing, unfortunately.

The Sequel Trilogy was initially concepted by Lucas, and some of his ideas made it into the final product -- young male and female main characters, the male one becomes a Sith and the female one has to save the day, various bits the movies use, etc... but of course, the books also had a variant on that same idea when right near the end of the old EU Jacen became a sith and Jaina had to, in the end, save the day by killing him, so it's clearly an idea Lucas liked. He would have put things in a new framework instead of a remake of the original trilogy, though, and I'm sure that I at least would have liked them a lot more... but public opinion would surely also be divisive at best, so I can kind of understand why he decided to take the $4 billion and retire; let fan dislike of new Star Wars movies be someone elses' problem this time... but with how badly Disney, JJ, and Rian messed things up it's unfortunate he did. Oh well.

So I saw a 2 hour very funny shitting on the script eailer today.. Alllllllll valid points:

Also a slightl less funny (more pissed off) 1h 30 min shitting on the script: