Tendo City
New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. (/showthread.php?tid=7212)

New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - A Black Falcon - 4th September 2019

So yes, Nintendo had a new Nintendo Direct yesterday afternoon.  They showed a lot of games... but they are almost all multiplatform ports, mostly of older games, or first-party titles we already knew about but they showed maybe a few new elements of this time.  The first-party software shown includes Luigi's Mansion 3 (sorry, I still don't really care about this series), Pokemon (no interest), Animal Crossing (very little interest), Tetris 99 DLC (that looks cool!), the Link's Awakening remake (looking great), and a couple of new ports/remakes of older games -- Xenoblade 1 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE are getting Switch ports.  It's an okay but, for me, mostly not especially exciting lineup; I know a lot of people are excited for Pokemon and Animal Crossing, but I'm not.  The Xenoblade remake looks nice and has better character models, but it's a good looking Wii game, so I doubt I'll be buying, at least not unless the price goes way down eventually; that version's probably fine.  And that's about it for first-party software.

The other major component was some new Smash Ultimate DLC announcements -- Terry Bogard from SNK is the next character, they're adding back in the Home Run Contest mode (with a new two player option!), and they have some new paid DLC costumes for the Mii fighter, most interestingly including Goemon.  That's pretty neat, the Goemon games are fantastic.  (There's also some Undertale character costume, but I don't care about that.)

And finally, SNES games are coming to the Switch, like NES ones, for Nintendo online subscribers.  20 games are going to be there for launch, some expected and some interesting -- Joe & Mac 2, really?  Huh.  It's cool that there won't be an added fee for this.

Otherwise, the rest of the Direct showed off a lot of ports of older games from other platforms both old and newer-- Overwatch (a good game, and I like that it'll have motion controls, but no way would I start over in progression and unlocking and such, one time is enough!), The Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin II, Doom 64 (the only one of these I'm interested in maybe getting), Jedi Outcast  (and Jedi Academy is coming too; it's too bad it's these games I have never liked, and not the first two Dark Forces games, which are some of the best FPSes ever made...), Deadly Premonition, etc, etc.  Yes, I get it, the Switch is popular but underpowered versus the other consoles, so it's getting a lot of older games and that's okay, but I at least don't get super excited for ports of old games I probably already own on other systems.  Oh, one third party exclusive apparently was announced; Deadly Premonition 2 is Switch only and was announced.  A lot of people are excited about this, but as someone who has never played a Swery game and has never wanted to, I don't care one bit, I don't think.

So yeah, this direct showed a lot of things and a few were interesting, but for me specifically it was definitely underwhelming.  I wasn't expecting anything from it though, so that's fine; hopefully other people like this lineup more.  Mario Maker 2 is already out, after all; the Switch has already won my game of the year!

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - Sacred Jellybean - 5th September 2019

Deadly Premonition?? :D And a SEQUEL??? :D :D Now I'm excited. What a strange, but fun game. Kind of mixed, quality wise. As a game review put it, "I've played through it twice and I'm still not sure if it's a good game". I'm probably just biased, because it borrows heavily aesthetic and story wise from Twin Peaks. I hope the sequel is better than TP season 3 >:/

Didn't they port Turoks 1 and 2 to Switch? I wants me some 60fps cerebral bores. All the better if they ported over Rage Wars, one of the few FPS arena games I love.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2019

Yeah, the Turok 1 and 2 remasters are on Switch, along with PC and Xbox One. I have them on PC; they're quite good, definitely nicely improved over the already pretty good original games. Adding save anywhere is the biggest deal over the originals, along with a decent framerate in the second one.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - Dark Jaguar - 5th September 2019

I'm not sure what the problem is. The Switch needs ports and it's getting them, and the switch needs original content, and it's getting that too. Did you not see Astral Chain?

Terry is coming to Smash. I mean, ok. The SNK fans will be happy I'm sure.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2019

Apparently people who like character action games like Astral Chain, but I never have liked that stuff so while I haven't played it, I assume I wouldn't find it all that interesting... but sure, the Switch is getting some new games, that is true. It's just that the library seems a bit thin, on the first party side.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2019

To mention the other recent first-party Switch game, I am definitely quite interested in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I have liked some of the games in the series a lot, and while I've heard both good and bad things about this one I definitely want to play it eventually... though I don't want it quite enough to buy it new, I'll wait for a used copy or something.

As for Terry Bogard, he's a good inclusion and a good character; he's one of SNK's best-known characters and is simple and fun to play as in the Fatal Fury and KOF games. It does mean that Smash's already awful gender balance ratio just got a little worse yet again, but sadly I don't expect much better from Nintendo on that front... we SHOULD expect better, but can't because it won't happen. But it is a fine addition and it'll be fun to see him in Smash. I like SNK games after all.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - Dark Jaguar - 7th September 2019

Smash Bros pulls characters representing gaming history as a whole. And sadly, that means that in order to get that representation where they want it (as you said, Terry is the main mascot of King of Fighters), there's goign to be more males. What this does is highlight that games as a whole have a long way to go. They've clearly been making the effort, and that's appreciated, but I understand what they're working with.

Now, had they picked Athena, that would be nice, but you know, then there's her costume... Oh, and the guy from Crystalis. Yes, I've heard people say "it's ambiguous it could be a girl!" but I mean, a big part of that game is changing your character with a spell to sneak into an Amazonian village. It's a guy.

We'll see where it goes. With Doom 64, that's another interesting tick towards Doomguy being the next and final fighter in this pack of fighters. Terry also checks the "please the Japanese fans" check box, so we'll see what comes up in the next Direct.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - A Black Falcon - 7th September 2019

Goddess Athena (in a bikini, from the NES Athena game and SNK vs. Capcom,) and the too-sexualized costumes of SNK Heroines are one thing, but in KOF the costumes are much more normal. KOF Athena has numerous outfits -- she had a new outfit every year through the ten years of KOF games on the Neo Geo, and has had a few new outfits since. They're often somewhat flashy, but most of them reasonably cover her.

Anyway, as for Terry being KOF's main character... well, maybe, like, in the first year or two, but mostly Terry isn't KOF's main character, just its best-known one because he was Fatal Fury's main character. Kyo was KOF's main character for a while, then the NESTS part focused on a few other characters, then Ash was from KOFs '03 to 13. I'd say that Terry is SNK's main mascot, not KOF's. (Terry is a playable character in 19 Neo-Geo fighting games, which has to be some kind of record...)

... As for Doomguy in KOF, I had not thought of that, but that would be pretty funny to see... sure, why not? :)

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - Dark Jaguar - 8th September 2019

Only one reason why not, and that's yet another dude in the game. As you say, it's a problem but as I said, its one that's hard to address in a game that uses existing characters rather than inventing new ones. It's clear an effort's being made at least, and for that I'm grateful.

To that end, if they end up including a Monster Hunter down the line, the default skin could be female. I think that's what they did in the latest rather disappointing Marvel vs Capcom game.

RE: New Direct, same story... lots of ports. - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2019

It's clear that an effort is being made (for inclusivity) in Smash? Well, at some low level sure but I don't think they are trying very hard or care much, or it'd be better.