Tendo City
Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... (/showthread.php?tid=7204)

Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Dark Jaguar - 16th August 2019

Who does this tactic work on?  What is this, superliminal advertising?  I find it abusive and offputting.

So no, I'm not buying your soap, bully man.  You're rude.

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Sacred Jellybean - 18th August 2019

I was reading an article on a website, and naturally, I got that super-obnoxious, has-this-ever-worked-any-time-in-the-history-of-internet, pop-over that tells you to enter your e-mail address to get spam that is cool and good. On the decline button, the designer put the text "No thanks, I'm boring."

First website to try and neg me into giving them my e-mail address. Ubbrolleyes I'm sure some young and cool irreverent intern came up with that. Real hip, lady.

Do people say hip anymore? Ubbfrown I refuse to say lit. Or clutch.

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Dark Jaguar - 18th August 2019

I'm not sure anyone ever said "crunk", for example.

Also, what's wrong with being boring? To me, that's a synonym for reliable.

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - A Black Falcon - 18th August 2019

But if you don't yell and be annoying, how are you ever going to get peoples' attention?

Seriously though I don't like this kind of (yell-heavy) advertising much either. I get what they're going for, but it's usually unpleasant and offputting.

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Sacred Jellybean - 19th August 2019

Nah, my boy Squirrelly Dave used to say "crunk" all the time back in the day. And "diesel", meaning cool. And "bustin' ass", meaning fart. Probably some others, too. He was quite the character.

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Dark Jaguar - 19th August 2019

Interesting. And this "Squirrely Dave" you mention. Was he a squirrel himself? Did he often speak to you? Did he tell you to do things?

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Sacred Jellybean - 19th August 2019

He tells me to burn things!

No, he was just a squirrelly individual. Kinda cartoony and hyper. He got pissed whenever we called him that, because we thought we were making fun of his buck teeth. I swear, we weren't! It's just, one day, he was doing his impression of a squirrel, and it stuck.

One time he was trying to impress a couple girls we knew. As he was leaving, he pulled up beside them and flashed them some kinda gangsta sign (he was white as a freshly bleached sheet). He kept cruising, not watching the road, and then proceeded to rear-end the guy in front of him. Smooth.

Then another time, I have no idea what he was thinking, but he was hanging out with one of the same girls, and for whatever reason, decided to jump up on her car's windshield and start tapdancing. Shatter. I can't imagine how mortified he must have been.

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Dark Jaguar - 22nd August 2019

(18th August 2019, 11:09 PM)A Black Falcon Wrote: But if you don't yell and be annoying, how are you ever going to get peoples' attention?

Seriously though I don't like this kind of (yell-heavy) advertising much either.  I get what they're going for, but it's usually unpleasant and offputting.

The cursing in the first two seconds is what gets me.

I see four commercials all the time on Youtube right now.  The first two are for sunglasses where the very first two words are "Holy sh*bleep*".  (The claim is "they don't fall off", and hey you know how often people have trouble with their glasses randomly falling off.)  The third is for some sort of scooter, the first two words are "Holy sh*bleeeep*".  The forth has a very aggresive man telling my my soap is "sh*beep*".  They bleep out half the word, just enough to let you know what they're saying.

Here's what really gets me.  Several months back, advertisers had some sort of a coup on Youtube, threatening to pull away from Youtube unless they had direct control over who their ads appeared for.  We now live in the era of "demonetization".  If a video takes a political side (like "nazis are bad"), bam, demonetized.  One of those qualifications?  If a video uses swear words.

So, deep in the bowels of these advertising firms, they've decided they don't want to be associated with videos that use swears BUT they apparently think being edgy enough to toss out "bleeped" swears in their ads in the first few seconds is fine.

And yes, of COURSE their curse ads are appearing in front of content aimed at 5 year olds.  Why wouldn't it?

RE: Commercials are screaming and cursing at me now... - Great Rumbler - 11th January 2020

BUY MY WARES *****!!!