Tendo City
Straws are gone. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Straws are gone. (/showthread.php?tid=7144)

Straws are gone. - Dark Jaguar - 28th August 2018

Sucks if you're handicapped, or I guess the problem is that you can't suck any more if you're handicapped.

Anyway...

Straws are gone. - A Black Falcon - 31st August 2018

If this succeeds in getting rid of most plastic straws, then great! Reducing straw waste may be a small positive step for the environment, but every little bit DOES help. Sure, bigger things help more, but using "but it's not a big thing" as an excuse to do nothing is wrong.

And seriously, he mentions styrofoam positively, of all things? Styrofoam is one of the least biodegradable things ever! That stuff will be styrofoam for an extremely long time, and that is a major part of why the stuff is so bad. Of course this flawed video never mentions that. Sure, plastic isn't automatically worse for the environment after you consider production and such, but in the case of styrofoam it is very clearcut. And even the rest of the time, if that paper is getting recycled that's very different from using up limited oil to make plastic with...

Straws are gone. - Dark Jaguar - 31st August 2018

The actual numbers, the math at the end of the day, is what counts here. And frankly, a giant boat at sea getting rid of straws is entirely pointless. Get rid of the giant useless boat!

Straws are gone. - A Black Falcon - 2nd September 2018

What numbers, the millions of pounds of plastic littering the earth that this would reduce? Sure it's a pretty small thing, and I'm not saying get rid of ALL plastic straws everywhere, but the ones you get at fast-food restaurants, etc... those should all be biodegradeable. The same goes for plastic silverware, the biodegradeable stuff works just as well for the amount of time you use it for...

Straws are gone. - Dark Jaguar - 3rd September 2018

Not exactly the point of the video. The point of the video is that the original source of the "millions of pounds" number is some random kid. I'm all for biodegradable straws that, you know, actually work. "Any reduction should be cheered" diminishes real change. Don't cheer someone picking up a single plastic cup off the ground in the park. I mean, yes, they should, but it's not worth cheering.

Straws are gone. - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2018

There's no question that millions of pounds of straws are used every day, though. The exact number of millions is a fairly meaningless quibble really...

RE: Straws are gone. - Weltall - 3rd February 2020

I love using straws, and now there are straws made of paper, so I don't need to feel the weight of my conscience. My tendency is to re-use disposable items several times anyway, as adult life experience has made me more frugal than most of my peers.