Tendo City
I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". (/showthread.php?tid=7136)

I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - Dark Jaguar - 6th July 2018

Splitting their own market like that seems like a huge mistake. The numbers are in, and there's a dead even split in usage between portable and console modes. The Switch IS the successor to the 3DS.

If form factor is an issue (literally the only thing the 3DS has to offer over the Switch), make a Switch XS, a smaller iteration with otherwise identical hardware.

I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - A Black Falcon - 6th July 2018

While I would understand it if Nintendo did go with only the Switch, particularly if they release another more portable model of the system, despite its dated hardware the 3DS has some definite advantages the Switch doesn't -- it has stereoscopic 3D, a folding design that makes the screens much less likely to scratch, good size for portable carrying and play, and a much more precise touchscreen thanks to not using capacitive touch. The 3DS has a fantastic game library, too. I'm still using my 3DS almost every day, which is not true for my Switch... so yeah, if Nintendo made a third main DS line system I at least would be happy about that. I've never wanted all of Nintendo's games on one platform, because each one has its own strengths and making everything for consoles may kill something I have loved for a long time, handheld games...

On that note, it still hasn't been announced for the US (I hope we get it!) but there is one more 3DS Etrian Odyssey game coming, which might be the last game in the series because Atlus doesn't think that the games would work well at all anywhere other than the DS/3DS line, because without the mapping-on-the-lower-screen element EO would not be EO. I hope EO X is good, but I also hope it's not the last EO game ever...

I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - Dark Jaguar - 7th July 2018

Etrian Oddysey would work fine if they simply partitioned a single screen correctly. Left side for the gameplay, right side for the map.

I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - A Black Falcon - 7th July 2018

That could work, maybe. However, you'd need gamepad controls for the mapping and/or something with obnoxiously oversized buttons to function with a finger, and neither of those solutions would be anywhere nearly as great as the DS/3DS control and screen setup is. How much space would be left for the main view? The concept of two screens is weird but ended up working fantastically well, and games designed for two screens and DS-style touch aren't going to be as good without it.

On a somewhat similar note I'm back to playing Splatoon 1 currently, because the Switch's lack of a dedicated map (either on screen or on a second screen that the Switch doesn't have) makes it worse than the first one. The game's still amazing! I played Splatoon for five hours straight yesterday, for example... and yes, it's still easy to find a match.

I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - A Black Falcon - 7th November 2018

So far, Nintendo's solution to this problem is to just continue supporting the 3DS. I'd love to see a newer replacement with higher resolution screens, but this is better than nothing. (And yes, Nintendo still is saying that they're going to support the 3DS longer, though I imagine this will probably change sometime next year...)

I reaaally don't think Nintendo should make a "successor to the 3DS". - Dark Jaguar - 10th November 2018

Gameplay on left, map on right. There, I fixed Etrian Odyssey on switch for you.