Tendo City
Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. (/showthread.php?tid=7120)

Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - Dark Jaguar - 5th April 2018

If you've bought a news station or two, or ten, for yourself.

We are the news.

Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2018

We have a Sinclair station here in southern Maine. Two, specifically, the local CBS and Fox stations. The more notable of the two is CBS, aka WGME 13. And their current ownership situation, that is being owned by Sinclair, is a really sad situation, because that has always been my favorite of the local news stations. Now, there are effectively three local news broadcasts here, on NBC, CBS (/ Fox, as they also do an hour of news on that channel with the same people), and ABC. And since 1989, the ratings situation has been the same -- the three go in the order I listed, with NBC most popular, CBS not too far behind, and ABC in last. Personally though, partially because for a few years in the mid '90s the only TV stations we got were PBS and CBS and just because I liked their newspeople better, in the rare occasions I watch local news, I've always preferred CBS. They've had the same people for a long time too -- their main newscaster, Kim Block, has been with the station since the early '80s, well before Sinclair bought the station. Their newscasters are good and have been there for a long time. It's a good broadcast... except for the required right-wing segments Sinclair forces them to air, including Mark Harmon's, etc. I remember them always playing those before ad breaks and not referencing them in the actual newscast, though, so it was sort of partitioned off... (so no "and now, the Terrorism Alert Desk" or what have you) though it has been some time since I watched TV news much, so I'm not sure if it is still like that.

This latest thing though, with all of Sinclair's stations having to all record that message about how "dangerous for our democracy" fake news -- and by this Sinclair obviously means liberal news -- is, is worse than any of that other stuff because it's the local news hosts saying this stuff, people you might trust. Apparently a lot of Sinclair stations are much less successful than ours is here, in ratings and local popularity and trust, so maybe in other places it wouldn't be quite as meaningful, but regardless it's really nasty stuff. Sure, this message on its own isn't the worst as they aren't saying "the Democrats are terrible" or something, but if Sinclair keeps pushing on this front it'll get bad. And even this is pretty bad; it wasn't in the Deadspin video, but I looked it up and yup, there is a video of Kim Block and Gregg Laugerquist saying that same exact text, modified slightly for the two speakers. They also mention both channels in the video so it's for both stations at once. It's pretty sad, and awful, that Sinclair is forcing quality journalists to damage their reputations by making these mandatory videos!

But really, right now what can you do? Ajit Pai of the FCC is very close to Sinclair, and Trump's a fan because they like him, so right now there isn't much of a recourse except for trying to publicly shame them as Deadspin has. I really hope that somehow the pressure works, however unlikely that is, because Sinclair needs to be stopped.

Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - Dark Jaguar - 6th April 2018

The biggest weakness of democracy is an uneducated public.

Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - A Black Falcon - 7th April 2018

Yeah, the way that the internet allows videos like these to completely expose Sinclair's behavior is important.

Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - Dark Jaguar - 9th April 2018

I'm more talking about how Sinclair acts to KEEP people uneducated.

Sinclair it's okay, you can admit it. - A Black Falcon - 9th April 2018

I'd say that Sinclair wants people to know things... right-wing things, about how awful and scary everything which isn't American and conservative is. It's a warped and awful message, but as I said, what Sinclair corporate forces on their stations, and the quality of the local journalism done by those channels, are, I would say, still largely unrelated. I still think that WGME, my local Sinclair station, is a good news station which reports the local news fairly. And that's why I see this as being so dangerous, because Sinclair is misusing that trust to try to get the public to believe their right-wing lies. Deadspin's done a fantastic job here.

It is kind of an irony, really, thinking about it now -- you're right, the ideal populace to the right is a minimally-educated one... but these stations spend many hours a day reporting the news. That increases popular knowledge in a way at least somewhat counter to Sinclair's aims, I would think... of course so long as people support Republicans anyway they're probably fine with that, but as we've seen consistently in special elections for the past year, people aren't doing that because enough of them are rethinking things in the face of this insanely criminal administration. Maybe Sinclair is helping to defeat itself?