Tendo City
Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started (/showthread.php?tid=7118)

Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - A Black Falcon - 4th April 2018

Yes, already. There are leaks/rumors about its hardware power out there, and while it's not clear when it's coming, it does seem that Sony is working on a Playstation 5. One big question is, will it be PS4 backwards compatible? It seems likely, with how the rumors put it as working on the same hardware architecture as the PS4 does, but right now there's no way to know for sure.

The other big question is, when will it release? Will it be a 2019 system, or will Sony actually try to release it this year? I guess that will be interesting to see. More interesting will be seeing how much of a difference it really is from the PS4; I'm sure it will have better graphics, more 4K support, better PSVR support, etc, but there definitely is some degree of diminishing returns going on in tech these days. How much different will PS5 be from the "last-gen" Xbox One X?

And while since Sony has plenty of first-party studios I'm sure it will have exclusive games, the way that most third-party software now is also on PC really decreases the value of all of Sony and MS's consoles. Nintendo still has plenty of value due to all of their games, but Sony and MS? Even Japanese third parties are releasing a lot of their games on PC as well now...

Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - Dark Jaguar - 5th April 2018

You mean the rumors released on April 1st?

Let me put it this way. It would be a big mistake to release the PS5 so soon after the release of the PS4 Pro.

Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - A Black Falcon - 5th April 2018

Yes, but it's not being presented as an April Fools joke (or, on that note, much of anything; it was a pretty down year for April Fools', perhaps because it was on the weekend and on Easter this year...), it's being presented as real.

It does seem that releasing this year would be WAY too early. Late 2019, though? That's three years after the Pro, and it's just an upgrade and not a new console so it doesn't reset the clock. 2019 would be six years after the PS4's release.

Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - Dark Jaguar - 6th April 2018

I'll need to see something more concrete. I just think if there was any truth to it, I would be seeing far more articles about it, and after April 1st at that.

That "upgrade" was a pretty hefty one on both accounts. It would be very hard to convince people to drop yet ANOTHER $400~500. Frankly, if this rate of upgrading is how things are going down, I honestly can't justify the cost any more myself.

Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - A Black Falcon - 10th April 2018

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-1825152206

So, Kotaku's rumor/report is that they are hearing that the PS5 is in development, but only a relative few people know much about it, and it's probably currently being aimed for a 2020 release, not earlier like that last rumor said. That makes a lot of sense, as with the state of tech today longer generations are reasonable (extended with the mid-gen upgrades both systems had, of course). We'll see if this ends up being true.

Playstation 5 hype/rumors have started - Dark Jaguar - 11th April 2018

Well it sounds a LOT more reasonable than what they were saying on April 1st. As it stands, all I know now is what we all kind of already knew, they are making a PS5. I mean, what was the alternative? Making sure every single new game for the next 20 years would still run on the original PS4? No, they've got to have a cutoff point, and that cutoff point isn't just going to be the PS4 Pro. I really hope they don't do another "mid system spec bump" like they did this time. I think it was a mistake this time, and I think it would be a mistake going forward. I mean, it's arguable whether or not the 3DS update ("New" 3DS) was even worth it, considering I can count on one hand the number of "exclusives" it had. It primarily was getting used to make certain games run better, and at that point, well, it seems like the issue is designing the games to be more graphically impressive than is justified on the hardware they're coding for. I know Smash Bros could easily have worked on the 3DS at full speed if they had just gone for less detailed graphics.

That said, they definitely need to design those future consoles with backwards compatibility, the real thing, in mind. At the very least, these games are largely running in "boost mode" just fine (for the most part, there's some problems with a few PS4 games) which means they just need to design games with future proofing in mind, ala modern PC games, and they're set for not just backwards compatibility, but superior performance of past games. MS's emulator tech is pretty impressive, I have to give it that.