Tendo City
NRA TV - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: NRA TV (/showthread.php?tid=7112)

NRA TV - A Black Falcon - 5th March 2018

John Oliver just did a great episode on the NRA's propaganda / gun-selling video division, NRA TV.

I had honestly never heard of any of these shows before. I'm obviously very far from their target market, but if anyone is watching these shows it's clearly not enough to make much of a general-public impression... which is good, considering how horrible the NRA's positions are in every imaginable way!

(On that note, if it's proven that the stories that Russia gave the NRA money are proven, that sure would be interesting... and hopefully damaging to them, but these days you never know.)

NRA TV - Dark Jaguar - 6th March 2018

The NRA, at one time, was just a hunting and gun safety organization. That's the NRA my dad joined. Now it's a sham, a ridiculous caricature. I swear that "little puff of happiness" bit was in an episode of Family Guy. My dad owns guns, and the way I was raised is completely counter to what they're promoting now. Namely, guns ARE dangerous, no ifs ands or buts. They aren't "safe in the hands of a trained professional", they're still dangerous there too, and recognizing that is what makes them a trained professional.

I don't care if you're against guns or for them, the NRA is NOT the group you want supporting your cause, at least not any more. After that coup that let to the extremists and business interests taking over the group, they're not the same.

I think modelling our gun laws after Australia's is a big step. I keep hearing "second amendment" as the reason that couldn't be done, but Australia didn't outlaw guns. They just heavily regulated them. If you want a gun, you can still get it, but it must be registered, and every individual gun must have a justifying explanation for why it's needed. Hunting, hobby, those are allowed, but "self defense" is not a recognized reason there. Hell, let me go one further. Being a member of a well regulated militia could also be justification, but each state much in fact regulate said militias. They have to regularly report their members, if one disappears or does something disturbing, and which guns belong to that militia, be subject to regular inspections, and (and this is important) they actually have to respond when called for by their state to serve in times of need. Those needs are probably mainly going to be disaster relief (which won't really require guns) but failure to actually report is grounds for dismissal or disbanding of that militia. Notice I did leave all this up to individual states. I gave this a lot of thought, and I think this fits the requirements of the second amendment quite well.

NRA TV - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2018

Going to a system where people need to affirmatively give a reason for owning a gun would be fantastic and is definitely something we need, but it's a huge change from what we have had before so groups like the NRA will fight it every inch of the way. So far they are winning, but things could change quickly with strong public pressure and some election wins...

Quote: I don't care if you're against guns or for them, the NRA is NOT the group you want supporting your cause, at least not any more. After that coup that let to the extremists and business interests taking over the group, they're not the same.
If they ever were anything else it must have been a long time ago...

NRA TV - Dark Jaguar - 8th March 2018

Try 40 years ago. That's when the total change in leadership happened. The old version of the organization would have welcomed some gun regulation so long as hunters could still hunt, and they never tried to promote the "guns exist to PROTECT YOUR FAMILY from... um... suburban invaders" line of thinking.

NRA TV - alien space marine - 11th March 2018

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Try 40 years ago. That's when the total change in leadership happened. The old version of the organization would have welcomed some gun regulation so long as hunters could still hunt, and they never tried to promote the "guns exist to PROTECT YOUR FAMILY from... um... suburban invaders" line of thinking.

Denying an 18 year old the opportunity to buy a AR15 is considered a civil rights violation in the NRÂ’s books, which is why their suing Florida and Walmart for raising the age limit.
Why do teenagers let alone adults need military grade semi-automatic rifles with a high magazine capacity?

I honestly think that things are so weighed against gun control, that you wonÂ’t get any meaningful legislation passed, so long as 2nd amendment exists in its present form.

NRA TV - Dark Jaguar - 12th March 2018

Of course, "self defense" is their main argument, because their old argument of choice "revolution against an oppressive government", is no longer possible with AR15s. They have drones. DRONES. They can shoot everyone in an overweight, out of shape, self-absorbed militia before anyone even knows they are there, at a range of a mile away, and even if by some miracle they did manage to take out an army of flying robots, so what? They at best have simply survived, and the soldiers that were shooting at them are forever untouchable and invincible.