Tendo City
Game of the Year 2017 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Game of the Year 2017 (/showthread.php?tid=7095)

Game of the Year 2017 - A Black Falcon - 22nd December 2017

So it's game of the year time again, and despite all they have said about what a great year this is for games, the gaming press has a nearly unanimous choice for 2017's best game: Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's won from IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, etc, etc; nothing else is remotely close. Games like Mario, Horizon, PUBG, and such don't have many GOTY awards yet, though I'm sure they will get them from somewhere. (Giant Bomb hasn't announced their winner yet, but for some time now PUBG has been the one they're most likely to have picked. I guess we'll see though...)

As for me though, while BotW is a pretty good game, it's certainly not one of my favorites. Sure it's good, and you can do some pretty interesting things as you explore around the world, but the open-world nature of the game loses me. I've never liked open world games much, pretty much ever, and while even I did find wandering around looking for stuff fun for a little while, the game didn't keep me coming back and I haven't played it in months now.

Despite that though, this year, for the first time in a long time, I actually played a lot of modern games. Oh, I still love and played a lot of older games, but I got a new PC, a Wii U, and an Xbox One (S) this year, and played lots of games on them, and on my (New) 3DS as well. Indeed, when I looked at the list of games I have that released in 2017, the 3DS dominates the list as far as quality goes. It's not quite as great as the original DS, but still the 3DS is amazing and one of the best handhelds ever.

That said, I've got two lists this year, one for my favorite games I played that released in 2017, and a second for my favorite games that I bought in 2017 but are older. Neither is really finished yet, but the year isn't over yet so there's still more time to decide!

My Favorite Games of 2017 That Released In 2017 (Preliminary?)
--
1. Starcraft Remastered (PC)
2. Yooka-Laylee (PC)
3?. Etrian Odyssey V (3DS)
4?. Ever Oasis (3DS)
5?. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

Honorable Mentions: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), For Honor (Xbox One), Chicken Wiggle (3DS)

I Also Liked: Snake Pass (PC), Parascientific Escape: Crossing at the Farthest Horizon (3DS)

Second, while it's not a finished list, here are all of the older games that I bought in 2017 and I liked enough to mention. These are all games I think of as being probably at least worth an A- grade, though I have finished few so I wouldn't formally score them of course.

Note: these are not in order at all. Additionally, I do not count games which I bought for one system but previously owned for another platform unless the two games are actually different.
--
Color Zen (3DS)
Shantae (3DS VC - GBC)
R-Type Dimensions (PS3)
Dark Lord (Famicom)* [Game is only good with translation patch though since I don't read Japanese]
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
Splatoon (Wii U)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (360 - Neo-Geo rerelease)
Picross 3D Round 2 (3DS)
Rosenkreuzstillette (PC)
Dishonored 2 (PC)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
Meteos: Disney Magic (DS)
Puzzle Quest 2 (DS)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U)
Overwatch (PC and Xbox One)
Gravitar (Atari 2600)
Professor Layton and the Last Spectre (DS)
Rare Replay (Xbox One)
TrackMania Turbo (Xbox One)

If I was also mentioning games I got for a system but previously owned for another, I'd mention Ikaruga, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, and Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition for the 360, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round and Diablo III for Xbox One, and Geometry Wars 3 for PC and Xbox One, certainly.

Game of the Year 2017 - Dark Jaguar - 23rd December 2017

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Breath of the Wild
3. No need.

Game of the Year 2017 - A Black Falcon - 23rd December 2017

Mario Odyssey almost certainly would be near the top of my list if I had a Switch, yeah.