Tendo City
Blade Runner 2049 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Blade Runner 2049 (/showthread.php?tid=7082)

Blade Runner 2049 - A Black Falcon - 24th October 2017

(Note: I saw the original Blade Runner once, probably nearly 20 years ago, and haven't watched it again. I remember very little about it, but we went to this new sequel anyway because it sounded interesting. And it is.)

Is mostly a good movie, particularly for its presentation. The visuals are fantastic, you can really see the $150 million budget. And that soundtrack is amazing! It's an atmospheric techno soundtrack, kind of like the original Blade Runner, but with even more loud, ominous tones that play while a cityscape scene slowly passes by. I really like this kind of music so I thought it's great. The frequency of scenes like that makes this movie overlong and very slow, and those are faults, but I liked the visuals and music, and scene-setting those things combine to form, enough to not mind this too much. I will say though, see this in a theater if you can! Unless you've got a great home cinema setup it'd look and sound far worse at home, and that is a big part of the movie.

As for the plot, however, that's where Blade Runner 2049 has more problems. I won't spoil it, but the plot is a little too predictable most of the time, probably. There is one major twist late in the film, and it's pretty good and I didn't see it coming, though, so there is that. On the other hand though I don't like the somewhat open ending, it feels like a sequel hook that may or may not ever be followed up on. And other than that one twist the story could have been better. Maybe the movie could have used a bit more plot (and backstory), and a few less of those long scenes where nothing is happening except a background and an audio tone... ah well. Because of all the story issues I didn't love this movie and definitely have criticisms there, but it was good enough to see at least, particularly in the theater.

Blade Runner 2049 - Dark Jaguar - 25th October 2017

The original Bladerunner went for an open ending too. The point is to get the audience thinking, not to provide a definitive answer. I did enjoy the new one, but it's main fault is the pacing. I know why it's so slow, but it is still very slow. I think I prefer the original, but it's good to know that even in 2049, Atari rules the world.

Blade Runner 2049 - A Black Falcon - 25th October 2017

Blade Runner 2049 - Dark Jaguar - 25th October 2017

I also saw that last planet of the Apes movie. That was still pretty long but had better pacing so I never got bored.

Blade Runner 2049 - A Black Falcon - 29th October 2017

The only Planet of the Apes movie I've ever seen was the first modern one, from the early '00s I believe. It was alright from what I remember but not anything particularly interesting...

Blade Runner 2049 - Sacred Jellybean - 5th January 2018

I just read the original Planet of the Apes novel. Great stuff. :) It also had a really good twist at the end. Basically the same as Tim Burton's movie from 2001, but better explained.

I agree with pretty much everything about Bladerunner 2049, save for that I didn't feel particularly bored. Ryan Gosling, stoic as always, is perfect to play a replicant.