Tendo City
"It's 2017 and... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: "It's 2017 and... (/showthread.php?tid=7076)

"It's 2017 and... - A Black Falcon - 21st September 2017

(insert thing person saying this doesn't like here)?" -- As in, 'this thing still happens, really?'

Seriously, this is kind of a dumb meme. Donald Trump is President, and you're claiming that somehow the world is beyond whatever it is you think we should be past? Really? I'm not so sure about that to say the least...

"It's 2017 and... - Dark Jaguar - 22nd September 2017

This isn't new at all.

Don't you remember back in the 90's when any time someone did or said something outdated, the comeback was "come on it's the 90's!". They did it last year, and the year before, and the decade before. Heck, I bet some roman at one point said "Come on it's CLXVI and we're STILL feeding christians to lions?"

"It's 2017 and... - A Black Falcon - 22nd September 2017

Probably, but it seems like I've been hearing that more often recently than I remember hearing it before... and seriously, considering that humanity is still humanity and Trump is president it seems like a somewhat questionable point.

"It's 2017 and... - Dark Jaguar - 23rd September 2017

I mean, it's certainly true that in 2027 we'll look back on this as the "stupid ages", just like we look back on the 90's as "that time we all thought we were progressive but still were pretty painfully ignorant of a lot of stuff".

"It's 2017 and... - A Black Falcon - 23rd September 2017

True, the '90s kind of were like that weren't they... things seemed so progressive and foreward-thinking, but in retrospect we were missing so much. Some things were obvious to many at the time, such as how much work needed to be done on gay rights, but others are much more noticeable in retrospect.

"It's 2017 and... - Dark Jaguar - 4th October 2017

More noticeable in retrospect, unless you were the groups affected by it. They didn't need a wake up call. As George Takei said when asked if he thought Japanese internment camps seemed like a good idea at the time, "No I did not".

"It's 2017 and... - Dark Jaguar - 20th October 2017

Related to this, I'm kind of sick of people looking at past technology and either laughing at it or saying it's "cute". We should all be impressed that there was an online service on the Atari 2600, not laughing at it for not being XBox Live. Also, the very sight of the World Trade Center in older media seems to make people wince, as though the past isn't allowed to be ignorant of the future.

"It's 2017 and... - Weltall - 3rd December 2017

It's 2017 and Tendo City is still alive! For various values of "alive". It still warms my heart.

"It's 2017 and... - Dark Jaguar - 3rd December 2017

Stick around! You'll never be accused of derailing a blog post here!

"It's 2017 and... - alien space marine - 3rd December 2017

Sorry you’ve just been derailed!

"It's 2017 and... - Dark Jaguar - 4th December 2017

There is no derailing here. All is welcome!

"It's 2017 and... - A Black Falcon - 4th December 2017

Yes, we're still alive, and we hope to keep it that way!