Tendo City
Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! (/showthread.php?tid=7072)

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 25th August 2017

It's good. Very good. It's not perfect (that sea monster boss is an exercise in frustration with way too many instant deaths) but it's very close to it and it reminds me that, yes, the original Genesis games WERE all amazing. (Well, maybe not Chaotix. Or 3D Blast. Those weren't that bad though just not the core 4 (I still count Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one game).

They added a move that I hope future releases of the original classics put in. It's the midair charge dash. You press and hold jump a second time while in the air and you'll dash the moment you hit the ground. It is an amazing way to handle the issue of losing all forward momentum just because you hit a small obstacle. It doesn't give you any extra height or allow you to get to new areas by itself, but it is still great. Combined with that all the stages have small visual cues to clue you in that an obstacle is coming up soon so you can react to it.

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - A Black Falcon - 25th August 2017

I'd love to play the game and will definitely get it, but for some insane reason the PC version won't release until the 31st, like a few weeks after it does on consoles. Why, is there any excuse for this? Because I doubt there are any that actually are reasonable.

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 26th August 2017

It was originally going to release with the others but it was delayed. I can only imagine there were some bugs that needed to be ironed out. I think that's reasonable. I'm personally sick of the trend of games being released as a buggy mess until a later "bug fixing patch" comes along. I take this as a positive thing, but I can understand the anticipation getting to you.

I got the switch version. I can tell you that it's simply the best version available purely because of it being on the Switch. I mean, you can talk about modding, but the custom level scene for classic sonic games is already very strong on PC so I don't think Mania brings anything new to the table there.

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 29th August 2017

ABF I have some bad news for you. It appears Sega delayed the game not to fix bugs but to add online-only copyright protection.

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - A Black Falcon - 30th August 2017

Ugh, of course... I'll probably buy it anyway, but this kind of thing is really obnoxious and can damage games, until it gets removed that is.

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 31st August 2017

Looks like Sega patched out the "online only" requirement. In a retro 2D platformer. With local multiplayer only.

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - A Black Falcon - 31st August 2017

... How great of Sega, these are definitely the things to do to make people care about you again...

Sonic Mania! AHHHHH! - Dark Jaguar - 8th September 2017

Dunkey is in Sonic Mania.

There is a code in a water level that makes the game make a dunkey noise when you get on those speed boost hand grab things.

You see Jontron, you could have had that, if only you didn't do a racism.