Tendo City
Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? (/showthread.php?tid=7068)

Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2017

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/rumour_wii_u_system_update_hints_that_miiverse_is_coming_to_an_end_soon

So there was a Wii U system update recently, and apparently a 'Miiverse has been shut down' message is hidden in it, presumably for use at some point once they do that. That would be a huge shame; while I haven't made a huge amount of use out of Miiverse it is entertaining to check out once in a while. The idea of having a separate message forum for every game on the systems it supports, Wii U and 3DS, is a fantastic idea and it's implemented reasonably well. A few things, such as an easy way to get into a games' Miiverse if it's currently running, would have been nice (that doesn't exist, does it?) but it's a nice thing which was a good idea... until Nintendo decided to abandon running their own internet anything in favor of forcing people to use the regular social networks like Twitter and Facebook. I don't use or like those services at all, and it's not like those have easy-to-access message sections for each game of course, so Nintendo going in this direction is unfortunate. Yes, Nintendo was never going to make a social network as popular as those are, but completely giving up on it wasn't the right move. Ah well.

But the worst thing here is the suggestion that Miiverse, even limited as it is to only the 3DS and Wii U, might go away completely in the near-ish future. Yes, those servers cost money to run, but Nintendo has plenty of cash, they should be able to afford to run it at least for a few more years, until the 3DS is dead at minimum since it is also a 3DS service. As for the Wii U that system is now dying of course, but some of the biggest Wii U games have deep Miiverse integration (Mario Maker and Splatoon most obviously), so as long as many people are still playing Wii U they shouldn't turn off Miiverse. "Shouldn't" is the operative word though, and you never know if Nintendo is going to do what they should or not so... RIP Miiverse, perhaps? :(

Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? - Dark Jaguar - 23rd July 2017

I read about this myself. I think Miiverse was one of their better moves and having their very own forum is a better solution than saying "hey, just join Facebook and use that".

Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? - A Black Falcon - 2nd September 2017

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAADV44YslslXw

So it's official, and it's coming far sooner than is reasonable or decent -- Nintendo is completely shutting down Miiverse on November 7th. Games that have Miiverse integration will be broken after that point, and those elements of the games won't work. It sounds like Mario & Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (3DS/Wii U) will be the worst-affected title, as even level download online won't work after that, so I really should get it before then... I really liked the last DS M&DK game, which I think that one is similar to.

Seriously though, completely shutting down Miiverse this year is such an obnoxiously awful thing to do! Sure the Wii U is fading out, but the 3DS still has good upcoming releases and Miiverse is very much a thing there. And breaking major elements of a lot of your Wii U and 3DS games for no good reason -- because seriously, Nintendo has the money to keep Miiverse up, it can't be that expensive! -- is really not good for consumers.

Now, I never posted much on Miiverse, but as a resource for information about games it's great. It's kind of like the game-specific forums Steam and GOG have, except for a console, and for that use I think that Miiverse is a great idea. It's really unfortunate and, in my opinion, a mistake that Nintendo is abandoning the idea of running their own network and is now saying "just use Facebook and Twitter and stuff", because those aren't the same at all! Game-specific pages are a completely different thing from generic social networks, and I really like having that level of categorization.

So, instead of being somewhat cruelly obnoxious as Nintendo is being, they should have continued Miiverse on and made it a part of the Switch as well.

Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? - Dark Jaguar - 2nd September 2017

Agreed.

Nintendo to shut Miiverse down? - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2017

Seriously, shutting the whole thing down is such an awful thing to do... I know Nintendo usually doesn't care much about continuing to support discontinued platforms much, but again the 3DS is not discontinued! But anyway I think categorization is important so having a network with separate sections for user comments on every game on their system is awesome. Everyone should be doing that. I know that you will have to pay for moderation, and that's surely part of why companies don't do it, but even so I'd love to see it...