Tendo City
ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? (/showthread.php?tid=7042)

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Weltall - 1st May 2017

[Image: A8FFh2n.jog]

I found this gem at Goodwill and it immediately occurred to me that it might be severely undervalued being a Sid Meier's game in the old big box. I don't know if there is supposed to be a full manual, but there is the install guide and reference card. The disc is in perfect shape, no scratches or flaws.

I looked on ebay and Amazon and see the game in just a jewel case or sleeve for $30-40 so this should logically be worth more, but I can't find a listing for the boxed version. I know you are an aficionado so you may have an idea of its value. I have better photos on my camera but I'm out of town at the moment.

Thx btw

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Weltall - 1st May 2017

[Image: A8FFh2n.jpg]

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Dark Jaguar - 1st May 2017

I know you asked ABF specifically, but I thought I'd add my two cents. Just from looking around online, I regret to say this doesn't appear to be that rare a game. From what I'm seeing, even on eBay where items tend to be overpriced a complete-in-box set is going for $25-35. Further, there are a decent number of listings, which tells me at least that demand isn't as high as supply, and perhaps that it's pretty common. This looks like a typical PC "compilation" box at that, which might explain it being rather low priced. Compilations in general tend to be missing a lot of the pack-in goodies the original releases had, and PC compilations are rather noteworthy for missing content that was on the original disks. They aren't going to be as sought after as the "originals".

If you're looking to flip it, you might try as high as $40 if you're willing to wait a while, but if you want a quick sale, those eBay prices are probably your best bet.

And, while I was looking, this one caught my eye: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sid-Meiers-Civil-War-Collection-Gettysburg-and-Antietam-PC-CD-ROM-CIB-/172542652480?hash=item282c57f040:g:5gkAAOSwImRYMkBR
That's not a good sign I'm afraid. Let's just say this is no IBM King's Quest. http://www.vintage-sierra.net/kq/kqv1.php Now THAT'S a version of a game that goes for a King's ransom (often clearing over $600, and likely higher at this point, since as of now there are NO copies of that particular version of the game on eBay or Amazon).

You might own some games that will sell for a lot more than that. Earthbound has been going down in price, but it still easily clears $100 and can get over $200, and that's for the cart alone. Conker's Bad Fur Day can also go for a pretty penny. If you somehow have a copy of Shantae for Gameboy Color, you're looking at a small fortune, often selling for over $300. Heck, the special component cables for the Gamecube (the ones that let you play in 480p) can sell for over $200 by themselves.

I'm not saying you should clear out your collection of old games if you're fond of them, but everything I just listed has a MUCH cheaper modern alternative if playing it on "original hardware" doesn't matter to you. You can play Gamecube games with component on a Wii, for example. Both Earthbound and Shantae can be bought as virtual console games on the 3DS (Earthbound is also on the Wii U, but I think it's more likely you own a 3DS). Conker's Bad Fur Day can be bought in a collection for the XBox One, and that's the N64 version, not the "Reloaded" version. Depending on what you already own and what you want to sell, you could make a tidy profit, and spend a pittance of that on replacing the game you just sold with a FAR cheaper digital alternative. It becomes less of a "sure thing" if you don't have any of those more modern consoles, because then you'd have to factor in the price of the console. Conker's Bad Fur Day sells decently, but not nearly enough to justify buying an XBox One for the emulated version as a replacement.

Well, these are some things to consider, but as for your box set... Well, heck, consider holding on to it and seeing if the prices go up in a year. If they do, you've got a potential investment. If not, it's probably not going to get any higher as time goes on.

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Weltall - 2nd May 2017

Thanks for the research, DJ.

I would be satisfied flipping this game for $30, as I only paid $3 and that's still a nice ROI. Selling games isn't something I do generally, and I only own games and consoles at this point that I would not ever part with. This just seemed like free money in a thrift store and I will sometimes go for it. I found a limited edition Skyrim OST years ago for $5 and that ended up being worth $200. Thrift stores have no sense of value when it comes to stuff like this.

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Dark Jaguar - 2nd May 2017

That Skyrim OST seems like a pretty sweet find.

Around here, most of the pawn shops have made eBay pricing standard procedure, so it's very hard to find the sweet deals any more. There's still local flea markets, but more and more people are getting savvy to online sales trends and sell based on that. I still occasionally find a hidden gem here and there (I found "The Magic of Scheherazade" in a complete box set at a local Vintage Stock for about $20, which is a lot cheaper than the $50 or so a complete version of that game usually goes for), but generally it's getting harder to find such things. My best bets have been perusing garage sales by elderly people trying to get rid of the stuff their kids left in the house after they moved out. Even then, most garage sales are nothing but tacky clothes and tacky knick knacks around here, so I'd really have to commit to have a good chance of finding some lost gem out there.

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - A Black Falcon - 2nd May 2017

Sid Meier's Gettysburg is a game I got for Christmas back in 1997, and it's great! It is a real-time strategy wargame, taking that most complex of strategy games, the wargame, and making it much more accessible as is Sid Meier's thing. The game has depth, as you do have multiple formation options for your troops, multiple movement speeds, etc, but it's easy enough to learn. You can play through the battle all at once or in scenarios which cover only pieces of it, and at the end of each one are scored based on how many of the objectives you held, etc. The graphics definitely have aged, but I think the gameplay still holds up. Gettysburg isn't quite on par with Civilization, but it's a great game in its own right. I'd never sell it! It says a lot about how I never got into the wargaming genre, but Sid Meier's Gettysburg is almost certainly the wargame I've played the most. Love this game.

Antietam is the sequel to Civilization, covering another Civil War battle in the same engine as the original game. It also has a (I think it was free) addon called South Mountain, which adds a smaller battle that happened earlier in the campaign that led to Antietam. More of the same but still good.

After that, Firaxis licensed out the engine to a development team who made two Napoleonic Wars games that run in the same engine as Gettysburg, Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle and Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory. I have Waterloo and like it, but never have gotten Austerlitz... I should sometime.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:That Skyrim OST seems like a pretty sweet find.

Around here, most of the pawn shops have made eBay pricing standard procedure, so it's very hard to find the sweet deals any more. There's still local flea markets, but more and more people are getting savvy to online sales trends and sell based on that. I still occasionally find a hidden gem here and there (I found "The Magic of Scheherazade" in a complete box set at a local Vintage Stock for about $20, which is a lot cheaper than the $50 or so a complete version of that game usually goes for), but generally it's getting harder to find such things. My best bets have been perusing garage sales by elderly people trying to get rid of the stuff their kids left in the house after they moved out. Even then, most garage sales are nothing but tacky clothes and tacky knick knacks around here, so I'd really have to commit to have a good chance of finding some lost gem out there.

Yeah, it's definitely getting harder to find good deals on games. Many classic prices may be near peak now, but still, they're high, and stores are far less likely now to price things way below value, they just go by ebay prices... except for PC games, at the few places you can actually find them such as Goodwill; those are often quite cheap. Of course you need to be careful and know what you're buying if you buy used PC games, though -- to avoid games which have one-time-use keys which surely have been used if they are open (unless it's so cheap that you're willing to take a chance or just want the box), to make sure it has everything you'd need to play such as if it's a game which requires a cd key and puts it on the manual but it's a disc-only copy of the game, in the very rare case you find a floppy disk game is it missing its codewheel, etc...

ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Dark Jaguar - 2nd May 2017

At this point, most of my PC game collecting is done via GOG, but sometimes I want the physical stuff like the manuals and maps (far easier to work with them than tabbing in and out of a PDF), so I might search those out.

RE: ABF: Any idea what this game is worth? - Weltall - 3rd February 2020

I still have the game ABF, never got around to selling it because I'm lazy, and as I'm presently trying to cull unnecessary possessions, I don't want to keep it. If you are interested, you can have it. Just let me know in pm where it needs to go.