Tendo City
About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... (/showthread.php?tid=7036)

About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - Dark Jaguar - 12th April 2017

I've been hearing far too many progressive people praising that statue. Now, don't get me wrong, taken entirely by itself, that statue sends a clear message of defying big business in favor of women's rights, which I would be for. But, you CAN'T take it by itself. That statue was commissioned and paid for by the bank that owns the same space the bull is on. It's impossible in that light to interpret that statue as anything other than either pandering or sarcastic.

Because, and this is important, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR AN OPPRESSOR TO CHEER ON A REBELLION AGAINST THEM! It can't be done! It doesn't make sense! If they really believed the rebellion had a point, they would immediatly stop BEING the oppressor, but the bank didn't change anything about themselves, they just bought that statue.

At worst, rather than just pandering to them and claiming the impossible, that they are on the side of those who are against them, this statue ends up sarcastic. As in, "okay, just TRY to rebel against us little girl, see what happens". Because, well, what WOULD realistically happen if a little kid tried to stand up to a charging bull? The message is one of stubborn futility or foolishness in that light. The imagery doesn't even work very well, unless you put the bull in a cage or something (the cage symbolizes government business regulations).

Ultimately, I just wish people would see this for what it is, a stunt. ANY message of rebellion has to come FROM the rebellion, not the oppressor, or it's hollow.

About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - A Black Falcon - 12th April 2017

I didn't know before yesterday that a bank had paid for the statue and it sort of has a (semi-veiled?) ad in the text on the base, that's unfortunate because as a message it's pretty good. I guess the question is, has the statue taken on a life beyond an ad for that bank? It sure seems to, but still, but yeah, while the message is great, that it is part ad is a potential issue. Leave the statue there but remove the text on the base perhaps?

About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - Dark Jaguar - 13th April 2017

It really can't EVER have a good message considering it's origins. As I said, it is impossible for a bank to create an object with that message considering, you know, they are the object of the protestor's ire. It can't ever "take on a life outside it's orign". Anyone who ignores it's origins does so at their peril.

About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - A Black Falcon - 13th April 2017

I don't know, how many of the people inspired by it even know that it's an ad? Not many, I think. You don't think that counts for anything?

About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - Dark Jaguar - 13th April 2017

I think that makes it worse. That means they're laughing at the ignorance of the masses while they sip their very tea!

It's like those people who don't realize the quote they're making means exactly the opposite of the point they're making with it, and that point they're mangling was made by nazis.

About that bronze statue of the girl standing up to the statue of the bull... - alien space marine - 15th April 2017

this is what's called "virtue signalling", an empty superficial display of support and piety over substantive action.